PDA

View Full Version : Crystals...

deviltronix
03-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Do most of you use Real Quartz Crystals with RGB led?
I ordered a custom saber shop crystal and while it is pretty cool, the diameter is too small for my Starkiller build (I ordered style 2..style 1 has a slightly larger diameter but I still think it will be too small).

If I am going to use a real quartz crystal I was thinking I could drill a hole in the hidden end of the crystal (end inside emitter) and then embed the RGB inside there. Anyone who wants to share their experience would be greatly appreciated.
I've watched a few videos on youtube but they all seem to concentrate more on building the chamber than going in depth on the crystal and illumination

SFXER001
03-09-2018, 12:47 PM
Some people order a bag or "Quartz Crystal Points" aka rough cut, unfaced, unpolished. Other people find a faced, polished crystal. Find one with inclusions in it (imperfections, internal 'cracks' and imperfections or impurities that will help distort the light). You don't want a perfectly clear one or the light will just shine through it, as if it was a perfectly clear lightsaber blade.

You can find natural, real quartz crystals online, at a local gem/mineral store, or find a local "spiritual earth" minded store. Not to degenerate individuals interests (our interests are fancy flashlight swords), but I'm referring to those gemshops and mineral shops that sell healing crystals and spiritual stones geared towards people that believe that specific crystals have certain healing properties. I told the girl at the counter all about our fictional Khyber crystals and she helped me find a good sized crystal for $5 since it didn't have to be a perfect crystal and I wanted those imperfections in it. I held them up to my cell phone flashlight to see how the light would reflect and refract inside the crystals.

I haven't gotten to the mounting of the LED yet, so hopefully some more experienced smiths can lend some advice.

Jediseth
03-09-2018, 01:11 PM
For me I get much more excited about a real crystals. Think about getting a very cool high end saber that has a lot of work put into it only to find out it has a plastic or molded crystal in it. Ya it kind of ruins it for me. I only like genuine crystals. So I guess the Sith used sometimes synthetic crystals, but I don’t care I like them real. I know a few here tried their hand at making some just before The store sold them and it just never appealed to me at all. The great thing is most crystals don’t cost a fortune.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
03-09-2018, 01:41 PM
Typically, real crystals are used. They are generally lit by a 3 or 5mm LED. I usually use RGB LEDs in my builds, when I do crystal chambers. In the Crystal Chamber tutorial video, I thought I went over things that you could use/adapt to your purposes (it’s been a while).

deviltronix
03-09-2018, 03:22 PM
For me I get much more excited about a real crystals. Think about getting a very cool high end saber that has a lot of work put into it only to find out it has a plastic or molded crystal in it. Ya it kind of ruins it for me. I only like genuine crystals. So I guess the Sith used sometimes synthetic crystals, but I don’t care I like them real. I know a few here tried their hand at making some just before The store sold them and it just never appealed to me at all. The great thing is most crystals don’t cost a fortune.

I can understand that...I'm the same way about alot of things. Being new to the hobby, I'm very open to different solutions. Eventually I'd like to try printing my own but I haven't invested in a 3D printer yet.

darth_chasm
03-09-2018, 03:52 PM
I know a few here tried their hand at making some just before The store sold them and it just never appealed to me at all.

That would be me and they are the ones sold by the store. No they are not for everyone but they do offer a specified size, something you aren’t always guaranteed with online suppliers. They are also an all in one space saver option and easy to mount. Currently, we are working on some additional ideas and sizes for even more great, alternative options and even easier mounting.

deviltronix
03-09-2018, 06:15 PM
I definitely remember your video!! It's probably closet to the setup I'll go with. I really like the idea of the TCSS RGB crystals, I just wish they didn't look to teensy in my hilt.

deviltronix
03-09-2018, 06:18 PM
That would be me and they are the ones sold by the store. No they are not for everyone but they do offer a specified size, something you aren’t always guaranteed with online suppliers. They are also an all in one space saver option and easy to mount. Currently, we are working on some additional ideas and sizes for even more great, alternative options and even easier mounting.

Darth.. I really like them. They look great lit up and are super convenient. If we had a 1 or more size with more girth you'd have almost everyone covered.

darth_chasm
03-09-2018, 07:14 PM
Darth.. I really like them. They look great lit up and are super convenient. If we had a 1 or more size with more girth you'd have almost everyone covered.

#soon ;)

PCModulus
03-09-2018, 08:47 PM
Yep, only real ones

http://pcmodul.us/images/DSC00505.JPG

jbkuma
03-09-2018, 09:26 PM
I do love real crystals, the only problem is they typically light up like crap. I've done some heat cracking tests that are either somewhere here or on FX that help make it a bit more interesting, but a nice clear crystal is the worst possible option. It will simply transmit the light like glass instead of diffusing and diffracting it in interesting ways.

darth_chasm
03-09-2018, 10:38 PM
Yep, only real ones

Only Yoda

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/M12jc9.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pnM12jc9j)

Hdjoe
03-10-2018, 09:03 PM
I bought some real ones tied on a string from michaels. They’re rough and odd shaped. I used my phone flashlight to light and they look sweet!

SFXER001
03-10-2018, 09:38 PM
I tried the Michael's thing on a string, and they just weren't impressing me for the price. I found a gem/mineral shop nearby today and bought 5 quartz crystals for under 10 dollars. I would highly recommend looking in your area. These shops usually sell them based on 1) weight 2) cut. 3) rarity. The sizes were are looking for weigh very little, and quartz is very common, so you can find crystals between $1 - 3 per crystal at a gem/minerals shop. Would highly recommend.

Hdjoe
03-11-2018, 07:14 AM
That’s not bad! The michaels we’re about 10 for $4. .. they had a 50% off��

Tom Tilmon
03-11-2018, 08:41 AM
I like real quartz a lot. You can find more opaque crystals that tend to diffuse better. Clear don't work well as previously stated. I've lit them with 5mm and neopixel. I have one saber with a plastic crystal. It looks ok. My others are all quartz! Fount em on the webs.

Tom

Jediseth
03-13-2018, 10:26 AM

Oh ya it was you. Lol, sorry DC I hope I didn’t offend you.

Jediseth
03-13-2018, 10:27 AM

Oh ya, you made some too. Lol, sorry DC I hope I didn’t offend you.

Oops I said it twice.:) that means I meant it.

scott
01-18-2020, 06:07 PM
Apologies if this is bad form given how long this thread has been inactive, but not finding a ton on the forums around lighting quartz crystals. Web searches are trash as you get pages of healing crystal posts. I have done lots of CCs with the TCSS rgb crystals and most look good. I just gutted my TGS ANH in hilt led/prism...it was my second build over a year ago...doing it better with neo and CFX. I also wanted to do a quartz so I picked up a bag online for a few bucks. Testing lighting it with a 5mm rgb and not loving the results. I filled the exterior to trap more light. I don’t think it would make sense to try to bore out a spot to get the 5mm I to the crystal. Just looking for thoughts. I ordered some fiber optic to try out, but not sure what the tiny metal tubes Yoda uses to get them into his crystals is. Any tips that have worked for you would be appreciated! I will post a pic of my latest test, although it’s showing up way better I’m the picture than In person.

scott
01-18-2020, 06:20 PM

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-18-2020, 08:19 PM
Those look pretty good. They crystals aren’t going to be blindingly bright. I’ve used quartz crystals in just about all of the chambers when I do them.

scott
01-18-2020, 08:39 PM
Thanks FJK...they do look better in the pics than in person. Do you just put the led against the end of the quartz and no other special mods or techniques to make it brighter? I recall a post about focusing light into a crystal?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-19-2020, 06:42 AM
Pretty much. Its not easy to “focus” a 3 or 5 mm LED. If you have something holding the LED. It may help somewhat.

jbkuma
01-20-2020, 02:07 PM
Focus is actually the problem, not the goal.. You don't want a flawless crystal. If it's somewhat cloudy, cracked, or has other inclusions in it, then it will look better because it will catch the light, where as a perfectly clear crystal will not really light up at all.

Rennek
01-21-2020, 07:35 AM
On a related note, do you guys prefer raw crystals or crystals that have been neatly cut/faceted? And why? I personally like the look of raw crystals for a power crystal, and (if it's a dual crystal chamber) a clean cut crystal for the focusing crystal. I feel like a raw crystal wouldn't really be that good at focusing the energy of a lightsaber, but maybe that's just me.

jbkuma
01-21-2020, 09:55 AM
The problem with a cut and polished crystal is that it won't capture the light.

RavenXp
01-21-2020, 10:40 AM
The problem with a cut and polished crystal is that it won't capture the light.

That depends on the base crystal and the imperfections in it. A cut and polished crystal can still have cloudy imperfections to capture the light.

lovetadraw
01-21-2020, 01:49 PM
A mostly clear crystal can work, all I find that you need are just a few flecks.

k6gad
02-19-2020, 09:47 AM
For me it depends upon what the customer is going to do with the saber. If you are going to fight with it and bang it around a real crystal is probably not a great idea. The resin crystals actually transmit light differently than a natural crystal as well. The more inclusions in a natural crystal the better it lights up. If it is too clear it isn't going to be very bright. Made crystals can be sanded easily to transmit a ton of light. I also use Polycarbonate cylinders as crystals with a mat finish on the outside, these are very bright and very strong. If supported on both ends you can do some hard play with them and not worry about breaking them.

Short answer is Yes...... I use both.......

WaywardViking
02-19-2020, 02:46 PM
This thread is great info on crystals from both sides of real crystals vs. synthetic crystals. Possible sticky for apprentices? Jedi or Sith respectively of course.