PDA

View Full Version : optics?

djbordie
03-26-2007, 10:49 AM
hey guys, been pokin around here for days looking for optic answers.

I have a k2 bold red and a 1" blade.

Do i use 6 degree or 10 degree?

i heard it depends on the width of the blade...but not which one to use on said diameter...

thanks,

------ edit
ahhh red is not available in a star...do i need to have a star? or can i use that domed thing? also, if i just get a 5w red, can i still use the luxeon driver?

Jonitus
03-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Patience, padawan.

Breathe. In. Out. In. Out.

You don't need a 5W red for a nice blade.

Here is a picture of my personal saber using a 3W red. This picture was taken on a Kodak DX 7590 digital camera F2.8 ISO 100 with no flash.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/sixmilliondollarman/Jonitus_Calendar.jpg

This was taken in a room with approximately 5 footcandela of ambient light with the same camera with the same settings.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/sixmilliondollarman/100_2373.jpg

Another shot, same settings.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/sixmilliondollarman/100_2376.jpg

Convinced yet?

djbordie
03-26-2007, 01:22 PM
hehe ya, i got all that sorted out now with someone.

im still confused on the lens.

5deg or 10?

Jonitus
03-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Either. It won't make any appreciable difference. In some I use 5, in some I use 10. My eyes can't tell the difference. Flip a coin.

Marsupial
03-26-2007, 01:47 PM
my guess is that it's optimal at 8 degrees ^_^

Corbin had done test runs with 3, 6 and 10 degrees. both 6 and 10 had similar results. 3 is better for fiberoptics then a lightsaber blade.

Sorry I can't find the pics, ask him.

djbordie
03-26-2007, 02:33 PM
im still at a loss...so im using an ultra fibre optic blade...so 5deg is best? or 10....i know what 5 and 10 mean in terms of spreading the light..but not sure how that plays out with diff blades.

Jonitus
03-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Over the short distance you are spreading light (about 36" for Ultra's blades, if memory serves me correctly), the difference will be so small you will not notice. Perhaps 5 degree optics would give less light scattering at the base of the emitter than would 10 degree. Regardless, your blade will be more than bright enough.

Heck, their cheap enough...buy both and test them yourself.

Lord Maul
03-26-2007, 02:41 PM
pick either. it won't affect it at all :wink:

xwingband
03-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Again there is no "best"... I've only heard one person say they can tell a difference, and even he said he may be inhaling too much solder fumes. :lol:

vortextwist
03-26-2007, 02:55 PM
ok on the degree's, which way makes for a tighter beam, high angle or low?

supertrogdor
03-26-2007, 03:00 PM
I would say that because the angle makes such a marginal to minimal difference on the saber, go for the higher degree lense, then for those of us who are in the FSM we would have a broader beam in our flashlights. ...but that may just be me[/b]

neophyl
03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Jonitus what blade do you have in that red sabre ?

jjshumpert
03-26-2007, 08:27 PM
i said i could tell a difference cause my eyes are super sensitive... the solder fumes was a bit of a joke! :twisted:

to be honest im one of the only members who has done enough hilts to be able to run a compairison test with all the factors, diff blades, lux's, colors, and to me the the 3w benifit from a 5 degree, the k2 is a little more even with 5 degree, and the 5w really doesnt matter its so friggin bright!

if your usin a lux 3 red then i would sugest staying with a 10 degree, its really an awesome and bright led and you get a better effect with the wider lens, you will still have a good amount of flare at the base and a good even blade.

Lord Maul
03-26-2007, 08:51 PM
and james has made a ton.
as shown in his pic with like 10 sabers piled on him :lol: :shock:

Jonitus
03-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Jonitus what blade do you have in that red sabre ?

That is a blade built from tubing and shouldered tip bought here at TCSS, and has 1 sheet of 24x36 buffed Mylar for diffusion and two more sheets of 24x36 Mylar, non-buffed, for reflecting the light back and forth. It's a pretty bright blade, as evidenced by the shots.

neophyl
03-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the info Jonitus. Where can I pick up some mylar sheet ? I wouldnt mind having a go at making one like that. The results look very impressive in your pics.

Jonitus
03-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the info Jonitus. Where can I pick up some mylar sheet ? I wouldnt mind having a go at making one like that. The results look very impressive in your pics.

I got mine from the local craft store. Do you have something similar on that side of the pond?

I used 3mil Mylar. After cutting the three sheets, I cleaned all of them very well with a lint-free cloth and made sure the inside of the blade was clean. I rolled up the two unbuffed sheets, one at a time, and inserted them into the blade, one at a time.

The third sheet was buffed with a piece of 000 steel wool in a diagonal direction. It was cleaned once again, then rolled up and inserted into the blade. The blade, when off, will look metallic in nature, but will illuminate well when lit.

From the inside of your blade, the layers should go:

Buffed sheet
Non buffed sheet
Non buffed sheet
Blade