PDA

View Full Version : What would you like on buttered toast V4.x?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

erv
03-25-2007, 12:28 PM
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
NOTE
this thread has evolved since the first version of crystal focus, so the information displayed in this first post can be somehow inacurate or out dated

-------------------------
As suggested by xwing, I'm opening the discussion about what would you like as new features for the buttered toast v2 aka the new version of the Crystal Focus Saber Core I've built.
So far, I've made about 50 of them, got away in something like 2 months (gosh). Time now for some more, as usual.
New design, the prototype is starting working, slowly, I'm porting the code of v1 to a new processor, so it's not totally stable yet, but it's there.
The first step was to improve sound : I've tried various amps but I'm staying using the original one cause with 16 bit sounds, it's already behaving MUCH BETTER (less quantification noise, better representation of the sounds).
I propose to edit the post during the firmware development. User's might post features proposals, and I'll try to implement them if it's doable (and if I or we like it). Like I did in the past for the crystal focus name contest, I'll reward in a way or another some of the best inovative ideas !
here we are, let's post !
Erv'
RoadMap :

- 6 sound banks (8 swings, 8 clash etc, like v1). Aux buttons pressed at startup => browsing the sound fonts, with an off-voice from the saber saying "bank one", "bank two" or... just put a descriptive sound you like ! could be a "preview" sound, the ignition sound, or something more descriptive like "sith config", "jedi config" "mixed config" etc. [done]
- one config file per sound bank, allows to have a damaged saber in one bank, a sith saber in the second one etc. [done]
- Boot sound. Just like your digital camera does. Can be a little sound "logo", or a "yes my master" if you like. [done]
- force push. If possible, no choice to make between the different effects, I'll try to put force push AND blaster deflection AND blade lockup. Already have the solution I think, needs to be tested [to be done]
- pitch alteration of the swing sounds depending on the swing hardness. Maybe applied to clash, but it's meaningless IMO. [done]
- design four different sound banks to be provided with the core [to be done]
- exchange/trading zone for sound bank, on the forum [to be done]
- reverse the pitch shifting effect controlled by the orientation of the saber: lower with saber down, higher with saber up. Impossible to change the polarity of the effect, increasing too much the sample playback speed reduces too much the CPU power. Effect is hence "just" lowering the speed, saber up brings it back to normal speed (as setup on the sd card) [done]
- orientation of the saber controls pitch shifting but only for the hum and blade lockup effect[done]
- 4 LED sequence to illuminate the hilt when the saber is on. Sequence to be defined in an additionnal configuration file (LED.txt) on the SD card, with patterns and delays between transition of patterns [done]

Additionnal Stuff for V3
- real low battery blinking indicator, voltage based [done]
- background music for the vocal menu [done]
- option to allow or not the play of the selected sound bank in the vocal menu Saves time when demontrating the banks or when heavily changing them. [done]
- optimized current measurement [done]
- blaster/force priority over swings : allows long blaster or force sounds not to be stopped by a swing to fake additionnal movements. Clashes however can break the sequence => variable duration for clashes [done]
- auxiliary circuit to drive an additionnal white flash (luxeon, simple LED) during blaster and clash. Specific duration of the flash can be setup on the card [done]
- instant on and off for the blade (already in 2.63) [done]
- blade lights up during iSaber, allows practice of a choreography with background music [done]
- additionnal flicker mode for iSaber : light is modulated with beat of the music [done]
- pulsing mode available in addition of the blade energy flickering mode (the so-called "movie flicker"). Not really screen accurate, but now that there are some alternate soundfonts like the phoenix blade of fire, this pulsing mode makes sense too. [done]
- shorten parameters name in the SD config file. Due to the growing number of parameters, I had to keep the param name short to stay under 512 bytes for the file size [done]

Luke-SkyMarcher
03-27-2007, 03:57 PM
- pitch alteration of the swing sounds depending on the swing hardness.

Does this refer to the shifiting parameter, or to separate swing parameters ? (i.e., swing 1 and 2 slow swings, swings 3-6 average swings, swings 7 and 8 hard swings) or both maybe ?

-Luke

erv
03-27-2007, 09:50 PM
it will be another parameter. I will probably actually remove the current shifting parameter cause it makes the saber like a plane of WW2.
My plan was to apply it only to the hum, so that pitch alteration of the other sounds (swings in particular) is done by another system, but it stays an open question.
There will still be 8 swings slots. You'll be able to do the followings :
- no dynamic pitch shifting. Sounds are pre shifted and randomized for playing.
- swing sounds are consistent, different contents, kind of same pitch. Dynamic pitch is applied. The harder you swing, the higher the pitch.
- both (might sound a bit strange sometimes, depends on the sounds)

dynamic pitch shifting will be done like the current shifting feature : it will be a ratio of the sample playback speed, nothing absolute. For instance, dynamic range of shifting = 20% of sample playback speed,
shifting will go from normal to +20% of playback speed.

do you want to keep the pitch shifting classic system, if applied only on the hum ? do you like it ? have you tried it ?

Erv'

Marsupial
03-28-2007, 09:31 AM
you mean the hum changing depending how you hold the saber?
I say it stays there. This is one feature I am really looking forward to have on a saber.... would be a bummer to be removed.

Barmic Rin
03-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Peanut butter on my toast plz!!! Crunchy!!!

Any chance of grievous guard noises please Erv?
I'm looking at making one of their staff once i put your V1 into my hilt.

Am loving V1 BTW! :D

erv
03-28-2007, 12:03 PM
well it's not that simple. Current effect is not so satisfying cause the pitch is always applied, even during movement. I was planning to apply it only when the saber is idle, ie to the hum sound, but then I suspect it will lead to sudden pitch changes when playing a swing or a clash. Well, I have to test first :-)

grievious guards sounds ? well, it's a sound board you can make you personnal sounds in : go go go ! ;-)

you mean the hum changing depending how you hold the saber?
I say it stays there. This is one feature I am really looking forward to have on a saber.... would be a bummer to be removed.

Barmic Rin
03-28-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm too scared of breaking it!!!! LOL!!!
How about you do it so we could maybe download them from you to use our boards? Or have somewhere on your site where we can trade sounds?
I really love your work Erv!
Will you be present at Celebration Europe?

erv
03-28-2007, 01:00 PM
I'll soon upgrade my download section, I have 2 contributions that are really worth being there, just need time to finish the zip archive and test everything is there. They are actually there, except that the zip icon points on nothing.
Don't be scared of breaking it, simply backup your SD before making a sound upgrade (the original package is available from the DL section of the website).
It's on the way for the exchange/trading souds, but I plan to put this in the forums, burried a little bit deeper than in the frontdesk. Some of the sound there could be copyrighted and so on, if you see what I mean (despite I know and sware that we ALL make our own sounds using farm animals, microwave oven, better half - in undescribed situations - and computers)

For me making sounds, I wished I had the time for that. Count about 2hours to make a nice sound bank/ sound font, I can't afford that right now, but I hope to have the sound lib growing up really soon.

I'll be at celebration europe with my costume (obiwan between 2 ages) !!!
Erv'

[add on]
I'm currently working on the new core, code was stabilized yesterday after the port to the new processor. Works really great. Even suppressed on more part, length will be reduced of a few mm.
The hard job right now is to deal with the FAT file structure cause I'm now using sub directories (folders). The white paper of microsoft gave me some headaches. Hopefully, I found the missing clues using winhex.
[/add on]

I'm too scared of breaking it!!!! LOL!!!
How about you do it so we could maybe download them from you to use our boards? Or have somewhere on your site where we can trade sounds?
I really love your work Erv!
Will you be present at Celebration Europe?

Barmic Rin
03-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Fantastic! It's like you read my mind! (there's not much too read, but that's not the point! lol!)

I'll have to scope around on your site for them.

I'll be in my custom tunic if I can get it sorted, but i'll keep an eye out for you! BTW, I love your Kenobi hilt!

neophyl
03-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Handy little tool winhex isnt it ;)

I'll have to send you the sounds Im currently using at some point Erv. Got some good clash noises and the lockup has been altered too. Still experimenting with the swings.

As for the pitch change, Im currently using a setting of around 50 which seems to work well with my new hum. Thinking about it keeping the pitch change on the idle hun but not on the others would be a good move. Especially if you do tie the swing noise played to the speed of the swing by using multiple detection bands instead of just one.

Oh one thing Ive noticed about the current pitch change is that it increases in pitch when the sabre is pointed down. Any chance of it being reversed ? So that pointing the blade up increases the pitch and lowering it decreases it. Feels more natural that way.

Madcow
03-28-2007, 05:07 PM
great work erv,
What are the dimensions of the new system?

MC

Marsupial
03-28-2007, 07:16 PM
I fully agree about making the pitch change only when iddle... Maybe I'm wrong, but its interesting mainly when you barely moves... when there's lot of action, you don't quite mind if the hum changes. Its when you are slowly moving the saber that its interesting.

erv
03-29-2007, 12:32 AM
agreed with all that, added that to the wish list. I'll keep the hum pitch shifting in iddle only, perfect ! and I'll add a polarity to the effect (pitch up or down for saber down and conversaly)
new dimensions for madcow : 27 or 28 mm wide (sorry, still using a normal SD, cause you don't need a stamp plier to hold it during sound upgrade), and about 57 or 58 mm long. Capacitors were centered on the board so that they won't touch the hilt, it reduces the required bounding volume (compared to the cylinder volume). Well, not so different thant in the past, but 1mm here and there :D

Updated roadmap in first post

SaberSentinel
03-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Ok, I'm still not clear on how the pitch shifting thing will work. In the movies it seems like there is no "swing" sound. IMHO there is only the idle hum and when the saber is moved the hum changes depending on how fast the saber is swung. Is this going to be an option on the v2?
Ultra is doing this for his new soundboard and I had decided to get that until I heard you might offer that feature. If you do, I'm getting a v2!

LordArgyll
03-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Ok, I'm still not clear on how the pitch shifting thing will work. In the movies it seems like there is no "swing" sound. IMHO there is only the idle hum and when the saber is moved the hum changes depending on how fast the saber is swung. Is this going to be an option on the v2?
Ultra is doing this for his new soundboard and I had decided to get that until I heard you might offer that feature. If you do, I'm getting a v2!

It's an interesting concept, but I'm not sure it would sound quite right. It's not just a pitch shift, there's also a doppler affect that gives the saber swing its characteristic buzz.

Actually, what I'd like to see is a swing that uses three segmented samples... one the pitch rise at the start of the swing, then the peak of the swing (the buzz) that plays in a loop for as long as the saber is in motion, then the dropoff. Instead of playing a bunch of different samples end to end, you'd get that continuous WHUMMM until you stopped swinging.

I'd have to hear Ultra's board in action.

erv
03-30-2007, 12:11 AM
So... some were lucky to hear or see Ultra's board ? any thread or media to point out ? I'm really looking forward to see/hear his board cause he was planning to come with the "missing" sound board and fill the blank space between hasbro/MR boards and mine !

Lord Argyll is right. Shifting the hum is not enough. I was initially planning to use that as well, a year and half ago now, but the tests were not satisfying at all. It's clear that the doppler effect is missing. Shifting the hum, even with a shifting enveloppe (like ADSR, but applied to pitch shifting, high pitch, pitch sustained, pitch back to normal) does not change the spectrum of the sound. Not enough, at leat. The doppler effects creates a phantom serie of harmonics, shifted in the freq domain and summed with the original sound. With shifting of the phantom spectrum depending on the movement of the blade. Do do so, you need :
- some reasonable CPU power
- a polyphonic sound module, or enough RAM to store all sounds : you have to be able to read the sound, compute the doppler effect and put both out on speaker
I'll be honnest, I can't do it... but I'm using an 8 MHz chip :-) (I used to have 10 MHz, but I removed the crystal and changed the chip, so I even have less power, so I hugely optimized the code)

this is why I'm using audio samples. Now, about the new features, to sum it up clearly :

- saber idle : hum is playing, hum freq is altered by the orientation of the saber, lower when saber is pointing down. If you move a bit the saber, but not enough to trigger a swing or a clash, you'll have some variation on the pitch as well. But it's applied only to the hum, any other effect will have a normal sample rate (except for the swing read below). I sucessfully managed a smooth transition on the sample rate so that when swapping between for instance lsaber down idle (low pitch) and clash (normal sample rate) you don't hear a stepped/gap transition

- now for the dynamic pitch part : pitch of swing sounds will also be altered depending on the hardness of the movement. I'll try to put an enveloppe on that, as proposed above (max pitch rising up to the middle of the sound, then go back to normal).

this last feature opens up TONS of possibilities :
- dyn shifting off : you use your 8 swings sounds to create the diversity of swing sounds. Can be 8 differents sounds, or 8 similars sounds pitched differently
- dyn shifting on : 8 times the same sound in the swing slots, dynamic pitch shifting will create the diversity
- dyn shifting on + various sounds (which must not be too much a mix of "hard" and "soft sounds") : mixed effect

I'll soon come with a sound + video demo when this will be setup and programmed

ooohh, I forgot : I had an idea yesterday in the train, I coded it, and I've just tested it, it works great !!!
It's a special dedicace to Xwing : BLADE IGNITION DURATION MOD
As I might have said before, the new ignition ramp shaping is much better than on V1 AND it's is controlled by the duration of the sound, and it's audio sample accurate. Means that if you play the file slowly at the ignition or poweroff, blade ignition duration is modified 8) Got it ? now, orientation to pitch measurement was modified so that measurements is applied at power on and off, so if you want to light up the blade at normal speed, put the saber up, power on, if you want to slow it down, put the hilt down, then power it on. Works with saber power off as well !!! :mrgreen:
As usual, all my effect can be activated or disabled.

New great ideas from some exchange on my forums : LED sequence control, to provide a little animation of LEDs when the saber is on. I'll implement a driver for 3 or 4 LEDs, with configuration file to setup the LED sequence and transition time. Maybe a configuration parameter as well for special LEDs patterns when a clash is detected, or blaster/lockup
what do you think ?

LordArgyll
03-30-2007, 06:46 AM
The new dynamics sound really sweet, especially the swing pitch-shifting. I like that the harder swing will actually sound harder now. And it sounds like the new idle hum shifting will solve that desire for a bank of "slow" swings. Overall it sounds like handling the saber will be a lot more dynamic and a more satisfying interaction.

And the LED control will be nice for those of us that like extra blinkies for flavor. :wink:

(I vote for Nutella by the way. Yum.)

erv
03-30-2007, 07:09 AM
the swing pitch shift is now working. The core is so "dynamic" now, that's incredible !!! idle hum control, swing control...
I keept the orientation<->pitch shifting applied as well on lockup effect, so that when you twist your body (and the saber) during a blade lockup, you also have some pitch changing, that's really great !
To be accurate : the swing dynamic pitch shifting is not putting the pitch higher than with the normal playback speed, cause like for the hum shifting, playing sound too fast does not leave some CPU time to my board to do the rest of the tasks (sensor sampling, current regulation, gesture recognition etc). The pitch is therefore shifted down.
Mean that if you do a swing at minimum hardness (close to the low swing thresh or to the noisegate) you get the sample playback turn to the minimum (minimum which is now specified by the parameter "dynshifting" on the sd card config file). If the swing goes to the max swing thresh, sample playback is not altered and is playing normally.
For instance :
playback speed : 130
dynshifting : 50
noisegate & ls = 12
hs = 50

if swing is found at 13, sample playback speed is set to 130 - 50 = 80 (very deep). If swing is found at 50, playback speed = 130 - 0 = 130 normal speed, normal pitch.
Pitch shifting based on sound playback speed is not *real* pitch shifting, but IMO it sounds great, especially for a little electronic board running at 8 MHz :shock:

Marsupial
03-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Erv your board is getting so advanced... and all of it is still configurable. It seams like your V2 really is going to be the saberbuilder's dream.

I'm happy you're looking into making a few animated leds; while being seriously extra sugar on the toast, it will give a lot more customisation options to the builders.

I like all the dynamic interaction that you're putting in. It makes a more realistic saber, so the experience is just way better.

Dregan
03-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Erv - any possibilty of adding a second/third Lux LED driver? I'm looking for the ability to run a V2 in either a staff (with seperate on/off, maybe) or more importantly, a Tri-Lux (when they finally ship)

I mentioned it elsewhere, but you could use the SD card to hold a color profile, assuming you have a RGB Tri-Lux, thus eliminating the manual pots we've seen on other RGB's. That way, you don't accidentally change colors mid-swing in a dual...

(which would be funny to watch...)

erv
03-30-2007, 10:04 AM
yeah, pot is an ugly way to change the current of a power LED, but I'm not kicking any one, I love the saber Gelukandhar has made for instance.
The problem to make such board is that you need 3 independant PWM running at at least 30 KHz and with a 10 bit resolution.
I'm working on that as well, I have my own part for a tri lux. I know how to do it, but it will require an additionnal microcontroller to handle the PWM. Sounds like I'll have to split functions with sound at one end of the board, and lux power at the other end. Length of the board will be doubled. Many more features are planned on that tri lux version : white flashes during clash, color subtile changes for energy shimmering to get the blade alive (I'm already doing that, but with just intensity of a single colors) and of course : radical color change from blue to red héhé...
Erv'

Luke-SkyMarcher
03-30-2007, 06:22 PM
So when it comes to playback speed alteration, it will only slow it down, not speed it up, correct?

erv
03-31-2007, 02:08 AM
yeah, that's it. I like the way it works cause you can also define the zone in which you alter the sample rate. Defining the "zero gravity" param defines where the alteration starts.
I think the effect is much better when slowing down the speed, cause making it deeper and slower is nicer to the ear compare to speeding it up to twice the original speed (which turn your saber into a plane engine or a Mickey's voice)

Novastar
04-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Holy lightsaber, Erv... you're SMOKIN' right through all this stuff!!!

How could any saber builder be happier?

erv
04-12-2007, 01:30 AM
How ? by owning a double blade saber, dude !
(which is the tool you need actually to butter a toast on BOTH sides :lol: )
holly crap, I'm really twisted this morning (please thanks jetlag for me !)

How could any saber builder be happier?

erv
04-14-2007, 02:45 AM
sorry about the double posting, this is just to notify the forums of a new message here.
I'm done with the LEDs blinking sequence and patterns. I started with a 3 LEDs system, keeping the "power on" solder tab for the exclusive use of the bargraph control wire (reminder : this pad goes to 3.3V when the blade is ignited or 0v when the blade+sound are off - it controls the power on/off of the bargraph display).
Then I thought that not every one is using a bargraph, and in this case, using the tab for an additionnal LED would be cool. 3 is great but does not allow to make a symetric lighting pattern.
Four LEDs = 4 bits => 16 possibilities (2^4). I therefore implemented a sequenced state machine in the code that handles 16 steps, allowing to a make a sequence up to 16 different patterns from all-off to all-on.
The leds.txt config file now has 32 lines. One line for the state (pattern) of the LEDs, one for the delay after which a new state will be set. The delay can be from 1 to 30100 in multiple of 1.9 ms (don't ask why, internal recipe and cooking inside the core). Think about a multiple of 2 ms, won't make a big difference. Hence a delay of 30100 = 60 sec = 1 min.
States are binary coded on 4 bits. LED 4 is the fourth bit on the left side of the nibble, also called the MSB (most significant bit) and has the biggest power of 2. Opposite for LED1

8 4 2 1 = power of 2 of each bit in the nibble

So if you want for instance to have an LED dot scrolling back and forth between left to right and right to left, only one LED/bit will be ON at one time (not exactly K2000 D. Hasseloff car but kind of).
state00=0
state01=1
state02=2
state03=4
state04=8
state05=0
state06=8
state07=4
state08=2
state09=1
state10=0

etc. All the 16 states must be filled in the file. If the pattern sequence is shorter than 16 steps, you can either dupplicate the sequence until it fills the 16 slots, or put a fixed state for the rest of the sequence, with very low delays so that it rolls over back to the beginning of the sequence.
A zero delay anywhere in the sequence will stop the sequencer. Allows you to make a sequence at start up, then stop (smart isn't it ?)

If you wish to use the bargraph, simply make sure that the LED output and corresponding bit is set to 1 on all states. An led AND the bargraph control wire can be connected on the LED output.
BUT, you can also decide to use the sequence to power the bargraph only for a short duration every minute or longer (not sure that it's a brillant idea, but it can be done). First state puts the bargraph control wire to 1, short delay (like 5 seconds), then all other steps put the bit to 0, bargraph is off. With one minute max per state, and 15 available states (the first one being used to turn the bargraph on), you can have the bargraph lit every 15 minutes or so.

funny patterns : so far I've tried various stuff, like a simple 4 bits binary counter, you can do gray code, johnson counter (K2000), blinking between 2 patterns and everything you'd like to do with 4 LEDs.

Of course, one leds.txt sequencer configuration file per sound bank directory (won't be fun otherwise), so that you can choose LED, sound and blade look n' feel in each configuration !

thoughts, idea, comments and feedback would be welcome on this work so that I could see if I can move forward to other design points, or if additionnal features are requested.
Erv'

neophyl
04-14-2007, 03:05 AM
Sounds good Erv and I can follow it very easily being used to binary.

One suggestion though. Dont know if its possible with the parsing of the txt files but would it be possible to do it like an assembly binary number format instead.

For example instead of
'state00=5' to light up led 1 and 3* use something like
'state00=b'0101' instead. Would probably make it easier for people not familiar with binary as they could visualise the pattern easier.

*Editing for correctness ;)

erv
04-14-2007, 04:06 AM
I've thought about that. Even if I can deal with decimal binary numbers quite easily, I often write bytes in a binary form when I'm caring about the state of each individual bit. I'll see if I can make a parsing routine that is "fool proof" in case of bad "spelling" :D
(and thanks for being concerned about that, I'm sure users will thank you)

"There are 10 kind of people in this world, those who can deal with binary, and those who can't"
(sorry about that, I don't mean to make fun of people, it's just that it's a famous tshirt, héhé.... but when I went to thinkgeek.com for some tshirt shopping, I bought one dealing with electronics ! it says "resistance is futile... if < 1 ohm" :mrgreen:)

Firebird21
04-14-2007, 06:54 AM
I have an idea that has little or nothing to do with the programming but I think would make installation and general use much easier...

Can you install a "Recharge Input Wire(s)"? This wire(s) would be connected to one side of the recharge receptacle (+ or -) and serves a couple of functions...

1. It is used to recharge a rechargeable battery pack.

2. When energized it cuts off all power to the board to prevent damage from charging.

3. It could also possibly be attached to a PLI graph (if installed) so that you can see how far along the charging is by glancing at the PLI.

It would basically replace the "Key" system I'm using now (and I think you too, erv...) where as you have to insert the Key to power the saber...

http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/Luke20.jpg
I still have not taken a new pic of the new key...

Installation would be easier because you'd only wire one side of the battery to the board and the other would be split to the board and recharge port. The other side of the Recharge Port would be wired to the Recharge Input Wire from the board. (Unless you had 2 Recharge leads then they would both go to the Port)

Plug the charger in, power is cut off to the board as if it was unplugged and bypassed to the batteries and maybe the PLI.

Is this possible?

erv
04-14-2007, 07:51 AM
not a bad idea per itself, except that (yeah, I know, I'm often the "yes, but" guy, please don't take it for you) :

- my recharge port system (the one described in the tutorial) actually does not need the key to turn on the saber, but the key turns the saber off. I remembered when we talked about your recharge port system that there is not "switch" inside, but you use the 3rd pin to make the battery voltage (or ground) going to the board.
With this recharge port here :
http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=12&language=en
the 3rd wire is connected to the ground of the batt pack when the key or charger plus isn't there, and it's floating (open switch) when you insert the male plug, hence causing the ground to the CF board to be disconnected when you put the charger or key.
Well, I might have used the term "contact key" once or twice, which is confusing, since it's actually more a "safety key".

- charging process : again, pretty good idea ! I'd love to have the charging state of the battery pack. Unfortunatly, the voltage of the batt pack is not what defines the pack as charged. It's a matter of reaching a voltage peak in the charging curve, then when full, the batt voltage starts to decrease (well, that's for nicd and nimh, charging li-ion is more complex and more dangerous). The voltage can stay a long time climbing very slowly before starting decreasing just a little bit. Something you could monitor with a 2 decimal point digits multimeter, but not with a 7 LED indicator.
This is why a "smart charger" is called also "negative delta peak", cause it detects the voltage peak and see when the voltage starts decreasing, indicating the fast charge with high current must stop.
A bargraph hence can't be used to determine when the charge is over. Expecially because batteries are alive materials, and getting older, the point at which the neg delta peak will happen is not always at the same moment, old batteries often need more time to be charged. That's why you often have a single "charged" led on a batt charger, not a bargraph or a scale. Would be different however with lead batteries.

Smart chargers are actually driven by a microcontroller with good intelligence and programming to make sure not to burn the battery pack. It's even worse with li-ion, which must be double monitored, eventually with temperature sensor, to avoid it to burn. Having an overcharge protection IC does not replace a good charging curve. Li-ion are charged with constant voltage first, then after a certain point, constant current. Not respecting that with accuracy lead to a huge explosion.
R/C guys know pretty well the story with lipo batteries (which used not having a protection IC, maybe this has changed now). Check this out :mrgreen:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3690260570423705609

Then, it does not mean an integrated charger could not be implemented in the saber, but it will not replace the smart charger. Embedded little charger/controllers chips generally charge at capacity/10, means 10 h of charge minimum and you still need a AC/DC wall mount adapter. Prefer then your nice external charger, which is safer, and even sometimes, for some models, works out of 12v (car power outlet).

(I hope I'm not ruining your day or expectations)
Erv'

erv
04-14-2007, 08:48 AM
I coded and modified the routine in 10 min. Not really fool proof, but works very well !
Now states are specified in binary over 4 bits (a nibble), the leftmost bit being LED4.

One suggestion though. Dont know if its possible with the parsing of the txt files but would it be possible to do it like an assembly binary number format instead.

Firebird21
04-14-2007, 10:27 AM
I think you're over complicating what I'm talking about...

I'm talking about basically installing a “relay” on the board to eliminate any need for an external switch of any kind to shut off the power to the board when charging with the normal charger, not adding a recharging circuit to the board so the board itself charges the batteries. (Although that would be really cool!)

Basically the "relay" would be energized by the current provided by the charger... Once energized it would cut off all power to the board and divert the power from the charger directly to the batteries. When you disconnect the charger power the relay would then open and switch the battery power back to the board.

I know some of you are thinking "Just use a Relay, moron! :roll: " but I'm trying to conserve space as many sabers are strapped for space as it is, and if you, erv, can somehow integrate this circuit into your board it would likely take up little to no extra space... I would hope.

But the Charging PLI problem is a real bummer... Oh well, that was just an idea I had while typing.

Oh, what about a “Sleep Mode”? So that if the saber is off for more than say… an hour (also possibly adjustable), it would also somehow shut off the power to the board to conserve battery life. Wake it up by switching it back on, at which point it would reboot and act like you just put the SD card in or attached the batteries with it on. (Where it takes a second to boot up then ignites.)

Just another thought…

erv
04-14-2007, 10:46 AM
mmm sorry about that, I understood "recharging circuit" as an electronic feature of the saber.
My recharge port has 3 wires, and hence you don't need an extra switch to turn off the power of the saber when you charge it : inserting the charger plug automatically kills the power of the saber. You don't need a relay here : it's already in the recharge port female plug (kind of, it's not controlled electrically, but mechanically).
Ok, the safety key has to be put back in the saber to kill it, so it might be annoying for some user ? for me it's not, but I'm taking the opportunity to ask : do you think putting the key back in the saber after use (before putting in on the shelf or on its stand) is a problem ?
What I understand is that putting the key IN to start the saber is a problem, right ?
I hope I don't sound "deaf", I just would like to be sure to understand it properly :-)

the problem about turning totally the saber off is not about the SD card or the microcontroller. I already put the whole system in sleep mode when the saber is off. But all the idle currents added lead to 10 or 20 mA.
Solution would be to autocut the power, using a big MOS FET transistor. And it's then like chicken and egg : how can you tell the microcontroller to restart if power is off ? you need to apply power again => general power switch between batteries and board.
I initially thought about that, but then it would not have been compatible with a push button (I mean, it would have been either a control by a momentary button or by a latching switch while I wanted to propose a software solution for choosing between the 2).
Not sure I'm really clear... :roll:

Erv'

I'm talking about basically installing a relay on the board to eliminate any need for an external switch of any kind to shut off the power to the board when charging with the normal charger, not adding a recharging circuit to the board so the board itself charges the batteries. (Although that would be really cool!)

Firebird21
04-14-2007, 10:58 AM
My key works opposite of yours, yes. I need to put the key in to use it...

But ether way, how easy is it to forget to take the key out on mine, or forget to put it back in on yours... Then you also have to keep track of it ether way... See what I'm saying? If you eliminate the need for the key all together then you don't have to worry about it.

I'm actually getting irritated with my key. I find it cumbersome and annoying.

Your system works great with your plug, but not so much with mine, as we've discussed, so the Charging Circuit Relay would also make it easier for people to experiment with various types of charger plugs without having to worry about how to kill the power to the board. I just think it makes life easier. In fact, the more I think about it the more I like the idea of having 2 leads for this circuit so that in the directions you can say “Connect these wire to the Recharge Port. Done!” No splicing or trying to read diagrams, not that it’s that difficult…

erv
04-14-2007, 11:22 AM
understood. I've partly answered just above, I was adding a few thing to my post while you posted I think (are you presently with the computer on the laps with eyes between TV and computer screen ? :wink: )
I'm already saying people "connect those wires to the recharge port", except that I'm telling it for 3 wires instead of 2, which is pretty convenient cause they know for sure they have to wire the whole port and use the 3 pins. With only 2 pins, they wonder which ones to use !
There are 2 different aspects/questions here :
- cutting power
- charging

cutting power could be made on board, would require an "heavy" solution, but it's doable. However, the difficult point is that the voltage of the charger MUSN'T reach the board, cause it's often pulsed current, it's very bad for the board (which would resist anyway) and will disturb the charging process.
Even if the board had an power autocut (to totally turn off the current consumption), you still have the case of the saber ON when you plug the charger, and there you have to cut power :
you have to notify the board that the charger has been plugged => you need an extra wire to tell the board cause it cannot make a difference between the power of the battery pack and the charger.
And we are back to 3 wires on the recharge port.
(ouch, please, no, please, don't kick my donkey, please... :lol: )

a relay won't fit on the board, it's huge, and if it was external, I think people would be more scared about soldering 4 or 5 additionnal wires to a relay instead of 3 wires to the recharge port ?
(am I narrow minded ? Please tell me)

The thing about experimenting is that you don't have to bother about the recharge port at first, you can try with a batt holder and cut power by removing one cell. Then when you come to the recharge port point, you have only one wire to add.

neophyl
04-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Keep it the way it is now Erv. The present switched charging connector that Erv uses (I do to) is so simple to use and takes up very little space.

Once its wired up its foolproof as if you plug the charger in it cuts power to the circuit.

Erv's right that the only way to reliably do it electronically is to in effect put a power management system in place, If you are going to devote the space needed for that by using a relay and its associated driving circuit (transistors etc) anyway then you might as well do it with a micro and have it be a full proper intelligent charging system. Trouble is thats like fitting your current charger into thw sabre too, much more added cost and complexity as well as space. All for the sake of a component that costs under a dollar that is commonly available. Doesnt make much sense.

Marsupial
04-14-2007, 01:53 PM
do you think putting the key back in the saber after use is a problem ?

Not at all.

In fact, I think its a nice feature. When I travel (and you might already guessed I use my sabers in events all the time - TV, Shows (even wrestling match), birthdays, telethons, conventions...) I want something to prevent my sabers from turning on.
I like the fact that you add something to prevent turning the saber on, its the best way I see for doing that. Ok, I need to find some room to fit it in my saber, but I know its worth it.

yes, yes... its a matter of taste, but its up to my own tastes.

Back to the leds feature. Thanks for making that as an addition to the V2 Erv, I know I'm going to use it. I like how you programed it. configuration will be easy and convenient.

Firebird21
04-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Bummer, I was hoping that being a circuit board you could drum up something smaller than the conventional Relay, thus saving space. Shows you how much I know about that kind of electronic stuff...

erv
04-15-2007, 02:28 AM
no worries firebird. don't put discredit on yourself and your knowledge. First because you're right, alternate solution exist for relays. Second because we all know things, for instance I'll be glad to master car painting jobs like you do :-)

Neophyl, thanks (again) for proposing the format of the LED in the text file. Was so easy even for me to try pattern without having calculating in my head binary numbers, especially on sunday morning. It's so obvious, but sometimes it has to be explicited by someone outside your own little cloudy engineer's world :roll:
Bug hunting last night, now CF v2 is in heavy reliability testing.
1 last things to add : force push, still haven't got the time to work on it, despite it's done on paper.

[ADD ON]
Force push was programmed in less than 20 minutes. Requires a little delay for the lockup effect so that you have time to press the aux button and trigger a swing. Which can be done by moving the blade like a normal swing or make a little movement of the hilt.
To have that working on stage in a choreography, make the Force Push attack with one hand, and the other hand is holding the saber. When pushing the oponent with the Force, the other hand presses the aux button and move the hilt at the same time.
It sounds like V2 roadmap is OVER ! (almost, sound design to do, now)
[/ADDON]

erv
04-18-2007, 07:44 AM
new pcb of the board is running perfect ! I've made a little bargraph demo I'll shoot tonight with my digital camera to give you a taste of buttered toast, with bank browsing and so on !
I'll start the manufacturing of the PCBs tomorrow morning ! I'll be almost on time for the beginning of may !

To sum it up, here are the features of V2. Almost no engineer blabla talk, just the *features*

- K2, lux III and V compliant (need 7.2 / 7.4 batt pack for lux V). 1.3 A max
- power supply from 3.3V to 11V
- 28 mm x 56.8 mm x 10 mm (1.1" x 2.23" x 0.39")
- use a removable SD card to store sound and configuration. I'll sell an inexpensive SD card reader as well
- 29 mm 8 ohm speaker prewired
- 1w amp / volume adjustment with a little potentiometer on board
- current regulation - maintains the brightness of the blade during the whole batt life
- blade extension / retractation at power on/off simulated with my blade + blade films (ultimate diffuser)
- full custom sounds. You can make you own, record your dog or whatever and put it on the SD card
- energy shimmering. I think that it's what is called "movie flicker" in ultra board. Since it's not a pulse, but a random variation
effect, I've called it "candle effect" like the fluctuation of light of the flame of a candle.
- all parameters can be setup with "SD-config". Including sensitivity to get the board responding to your fighting style
- auxiliary button to activate other effects like blaster ray blocking and blade lockup. Uses a momentary button. Press and release = blaster blocking, press and maintain you get a blade lockup. Adjustable delays for those effects.
- handles latching OR momentary buttons / switches for activating the saber. Latching can be normally closed OR normally opened electrical contacts. Various tastes => various flavors
- 8 sounds of clash, 8 sounds of swing, hum, power on / off, blaster and blade lockup sounds.
- random sound playing OR linear sound playing (one slot after the other).
- seamless playback, no transition between sound. Sound a premixed using the sound mixing utility I'm providing on my website.
- Low battery flashing LED. Based on current measurement inside the core. Starts flashing (faster and faster) when measured current is not what was specified on the sd card.
- progressive power on LED. So cool to have an LED on the hilt that fades in and out according to the luxeon
- force feedback motor option. Will progressively rumble in and out with fade in and fade out effects of the luxeon, and depending on the kind of motor, you can feel perturbation force feedback during clash effect or blaster.
- autopower off of the luxeon when removing the sd card. Edit a parameter on the SD and put it back, saber will start again with the new settings.

that what we had for V1. Now the plus of V2 :
- 16 bits sounds !!! (22.050 KHz). Very clear and nice quality !
- 4 banks of sounds, each with its own configuration file. You can preset 4 differents sabers with differents sound fonts, but different energy shimmering, pitch, sensitivity, clash effect duration etc.
- each bank of sound can be described by a sound file in the root directory of the card. I made some test recording "one" "two" etc and passed the files in my voice deepener program I wrote to get a nice SW intonation. But you can call your banks with a more descriptive sound file like "ligth side configuration" "dark lord saber" or "my first baby lightsaber" if you like it. Easy way to browse your configuration.
Means that you can preset you hilt with FOUR configuration and recall them without the need to open the hilt/pommel to get in the saber gathering the SD card to rewrite it or swap it. Pressing the Aux button at start up will drive you in the bank browsing menu. It's not a vocal menu per se (Ultra is the guy you MUST congrat for this nice idea). The saber will "say" the name of the different configurations. Press 5 sec the aux button, bank is saved and saber starts. The selectec bank will be recalled next time.
- boot sound. Just like in a digital camera, you have this little sound logo (sometimes annoying). Allows to have the saber saying "yes my master" just like mine right now. Or don't put it in the root directory, you'll get a little beep. Don't want any sound at boot. Create an empty sound file of 100 ms and you're done.
- FORCE PUSH ! YES ! combination of a little movement of the hilt and pressing the aux button at the same time, just before, or even during the movement. One slot for the Force sound on each sound bank of course. Effect can be disabled
- static pitch shifting. Incline the board pointing the floor will lower the pitch of the hum. Applied as well on blade lockup. Amount of pitch variation setup on the sd card. Can be disabled
- DYNAMIC pitch shifting. Hardness of the swing is measured and can be applied to the swing sound. This way you'll never really get the same swing sound twice even with random sound selection. Can be disabled
- mute option. sometimes usefull when experimenting Grin And since the core is also the main board for omnisabers, my wireless version, you can have wireless + in the hilt but this is annoying. When using wireless you might want to mute in the hilt sound. Use one of the 4 sound banks / config files for the wireless settings.
- Blinking LEDS management ! sounds cheap idea, but I'm sure some of you will like it. I used to have a single LED wiring on the board, which was used to activate my bargraph PLI board.
Now I have 4 LEDs and a sequencer... as usual as an editable text file in each soundbank. 4 LEDS = 4 bits = 16 possibles patterns. You can specify a 16 stage sequence with delays between them, from 2ms to 60 sec. The sequencer can be stopped in the sequence by a 0 delay, like scrolling on 5 stages then stopping with all LEDs on. I'll add as well a random pattern possibility.

neophyl
04-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Yay. I'll either order one soon or pick one up from you at CE depending on cashflow but Im definately in for a v2.

erv
04-18-2007, 10:51 AM
mmm good idea my friend, and since I have my cloak, I'll be able to put a stock of buttered toast under !
want some rolex ? tag heuer ? brietling ? cheap cheap cheap !
:lol:

erv
04-20-2007, 01:40 AM
are you guys ready for a vid ?
Please prefer DL it from my website (first URL). I have again a strange delay between picture and sound. It's weird, I suspect it's a problem between 25 fps versus 30 fps videos. Youtube is probably trying to convert the frame rate but fails.

http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/CrystalFocusV2.wmv

copy the URL above and put it into windows Media Player (file -> open URL)

you tube :
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D29BTIPe0bw[url]

I hope you'll understand my voice and accent. It's improvised, so don't expect hear me like in an academic talks or lecture :wink:

Please let me know if on your side the sound and image is delayed on youtube or not

You might notice a strange gap in the begining of the video between power on sound and hum sound. Explanation given at FxSabers forums :
the rough mix you heard is not directly about sound samples playback but "hard" transition between 2 playback sampling rate (ie speed for playing the sound files). The pitchshifting was activated in this configuration AND I configured the activator switch so that I don't need to push the button when I power the saber => it automatically goes on after boot (only way to go when you're holding the camera on one hand, I had no tripod).
The problem here is that the orientation of the saber should be measured BEFORE starting the saber which is supposed to be OFF when you power it up. Here, the saber start at normal speed for playback just after power up, then just after the power up sound, it founds out a new orientation of the hilt/blade and lowers the pitch => hard transition.
I may have a trick to get over this, even if it's not a regular situation.

BtW, normally, this feature to get the orientation of the saber at startup to decide of the playback speed is GREAT ! Put the blade down and power the blade, playback speed is slowed down and blade ignition as well. Just like in the movies, as xwing said once : sometimes, the blade will lightup very slowly. Start the saber with the blade up : normal ignition speed and sound (and this is going to make xwing SO HAPPY !).

If you want to hear a normal power on sound to hum transition, watch the video at 3min10.

neophyl
04-20-2007, 04:26 AM
You tease. I want it all the more now lol.

Perfectly understandable and shows everything off. Cant wait to see it in a sabre though :)

btw when Im breadboarding with the speaker I usually get a empty film container and tape the speaker to it as it provides a good quick and easy resonance chamber.

Marsupial
04-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the vid Erv. Its really appreciated. I agree with Neophyl, makes that we just want it more. ;)

Stupid question - one that buys a V2, does he gets it with the 4 sound banks filled?

btw when Im breadboarding with the speaker I usually get a empty film container and tape the speaker to it as it provides a good quick and easy resonance chamber.
That's more clever them my toilet paper roll idea.

Firebird21
04-20-2007, 08:20 AM

Well that's a down-right Crappy idea! :roll:

Sorry, you left yourself WIDE open for that one, and I went for it! lol :mrgreen:

Jay-gon Jinn
04-20-2007, 08:42 AM
The vid looked and sounded good to me, Erv! I might have to get one of these, but I'd probably have to build another saber for it; it has so many features, I'd want to use them all.

Shinobi
04-20-2007, 09:11 AM
WOW, nice vid Erv!

I've got a V1 from Erv (which by the way arrived yesterday after we spoke on Skype, thanks for the excellent repair job) and I have to say that since I got it my MR saber feels more like a Hasbro. The main thing for me that really stands out is it's reaction speed and sensitivity adjustments. You dont really get it on the videos but when you are playing with a Plecter saber that has been tuned for your own personal style (which is very easy to do) then the sound effect timings are almost movie perfect.

I have two configs, one i use for solo spinning, and one for duelling, the duelling config is more sensitive to blade impact and the spinning one you'd have to hit with a hammer to get it to make an impact sound (hides those clipped ankles :wink: ).

I am soo looking forward to building my V2 saber/s as I have a nice double idea that I plan on doing with a pair of V2's.

Thanks for the vid Erv!!

vortextwist
04-20-2007, 10:10 AM
just saw the vid. wow! Now I have to get me one!!

Marsupial
04-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Shinobi, those 2 config ideas are great. I'll keep in mind when I get a V2 - so far I have 3 configs spoken for

1- Duel
2- Spin
3- Humour (I'm thinking chicken and metal sounds)

I guess the 4th one will be with different sounds for demo purpose.

Well that's a down-right Crappy idea! :roll:

Sorry, you left yourself WIDE open for that one, and I went for it! lol :mrgreen:

ROFL

the idea might sound crappy, but the resonance was good ennough to create a great sound.

fau-pa ramid
04-20-2007, 03:03 PM
well im sold on it! that has got to be the best sound board i have ever seen. :shock:

when do these things go on sale? :?:

is it a driver as well? :?:

Shinobi
04-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Shinobi, those 2 config ideas are great. I'll keep in mind when I get a V2 - so far I have 3 configs spoken for

1- Duel
2- Spin
3- Humour (I'm thinking chicken and metal sounds)

I guess the 4th one will be with different sounds for demo purpose.

I did a comedy one with farmyard sounds when I 1st got mine, was quite ammusing but it runs out quick lol. I'm glad Erv has decided to use multiple sound banks, will be nice to have diff configs available at boot.

Shinobi
04-21-2007, 05:35 AM
well im sold on it! that has got to be the best sound board i have ever seen. :shock:

when do these things go on sale? :?:

is it a driver as well? :?:

Hell yeah it's a driver! It "flickers" the blade a like a candle flame, again totally configurable from the config file from a gentle flicker to a powerfull pulsing/damaged effect. It also has retraction effects (ramped fade in and out), light flashes on impact too.

The V2.0 should be on sale within a couple of weeks, Erv has started production on the PCB's it's just gonna be a case of building and testing each core (which I know Erv does).

fau-pa ramid
04-21-2007, 03:06 PM
all right i cant wait to get my hands on one for my saber. :D

Jedi Ranger
04-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Erv - that is an AWESOME video! Thank you for putting that together for us!!

Your V2 board looks crazy amazing! I look forward to getting one in the next couple months, hopefully.

erv
04-23-2007, 03:47 AM
yes for sure ! Well, I'm not sure I'll be able to design 4 really differents sound banks, but I'll probably dupplicate 2 (one dark side, one light side) and make a few variations. Then, I'll put also an archive on the forum with the original wav files so that people can re edit / mix them to create new sound banks.
I've upgraded my sound mixing utility : it now avoids clipping when playing an Fx over the hum. Before, I had to turn the hum down enough so that when playing a swing or a clash it would not clip. But then the overall volume of the hum without effect was a bit low. Now you can mix at max volume and get the whole benefits of a loud hum, which makes the saber more "present" even when idle.
I'll soon put the new version for DL, but I have to add the force sound to the utility.
I've also used some granular synthesis to create a nice blade lockup sound.

I've also spent my WE machining a new hilt for my V2 prototype. It will have also a custom bargraph made of tiny SMDs blue LEDs. I'm now waiting to receive a li-ion battery + charger to finish the job. Pictures soon !

CF V2 pricing : despite a cost increase, I've decided to maintain the price of V2 to 100 euros (same as V1 <=> 130USD). The new version is easier and a bit faster to assemble, and time is money so...

Now : Who could send me a GOOD "force push" sound. Pretty funny cause a force attack is kind of silent, but maybe you guys have a sound on your hard disk that could play this role ?
thanks for your help !

Erv'

Stupid question - one that buys a V2, does he gets it with the 4 sound banks filled?

pockets
04-23-2007, 06:35 AM
yes for sure ! Well, I'm not sure I'll be able to design 4 really differents sound banks, but I'll probably dupplicate 2 (one dark side, one light side) and make a few variations. Then, I'll put also an archive on the forum with the original wav files so that people can re edit / mix them to create new sound banks.
I've upgraded my sound mixing utility : it now avoids clipping when playing an Fx over the hum. Before, I had to turn the hum down enough so that when playing a swing or a clash it would not clip. But then the overall volume of the hum without effect was a bit low. Now you can mix at max volume and get the whole benefits of a loud hum, which makes the saber more "present" even when idle.
I'll soon put the new version for DL, but I have to add the force sound to the utility.
I've also used some granular synthesis to create a nice blade lockup sound.

I've also spent my WE machining a new hilt for my V2 prototype. It will have also a custom bargraph made of tiny SMDs blue LEDs. I'm now waiting to receive a li-ion battery + charger to finish the job. Pictures soon !

CF V2 pricing : despite a cost increase, I've decided to maintain the price of V2 to 100 euros (same as V1 <=> 130USD). The new version is easier and a bit faster to assemble, and time is money so...

Now : Who could send me a GOOD "force push" sound. Pretty funny cause a force attack is kind of silent, but maybe you guys have a sound on your hard disk that could play this role ?
thanks for your help !

Erv'

Use the force push from the Jedi Outcast game if you have it. Its easily identified and works great. i dont know how to rip the sounds out or i'd send it to you

erv
04-23-2007, 07:11 AM
mmmm, good info, thanks !
unfortunatly I don't have that game. I got a sound archive from someone else who extracted the sounds from jedi knight, but not force push sound in there. I'll try to get the game !
thanks again

Shinobi
04-23-2007, 12:04 PM
mmmm, good info, thanks !
unfortunatly I don't have that game. I got a sound archive from someone else who extracted the sounds from jedi knight, but not force push sound in there. I'll try to get the game !
thanks again

Ha ha! Not a problem Erv, I'll mail you the samples over later tonight buddy.

Novastar
04-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Shinobi beat me to it, but any sounds you need in the future, just let me know Erv.

I'd be happy to mix a bunch as well too.

I *THINK* I understand the "zero-crossing" idea to prevent pops and clicks, and also have a good amount of experience to make "looping" sounds where it doesn't give away to the listener that the sound IS being looped.

Novastar
04-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I just watched the entire V2 video... BRAVO...

C'est magnifique, et je suis tres heuruese!

I will definitely be glad to purchase one of these!

Luke-SkyMarcher
04-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Wow, the LED bar thing is cooler than I would have thought! Is there any way to make it so that on one config they would flash randomly like near the beginning of your vid, and on another, all power on like the one at the top of the bar? For the saber I'm planning, there's an area that could double as an LED graph or a type of "crystal chamber" window, and I thought it would be cool if I could switch it between these by changing sound banks....

-Luke

987654321a
04-29-2007, 05:27 PM
nice video man, i cant wait to get my hands on one of these babies. will it be ready before celebration 4?

Novastar
04-30-2007, 11:02 PM
By the way, for those interested:

1st test of: 7.4 Li-Ion 2400Mah... with K2 green @ 1.3A draw on Plecter v1.2 at initial full battery...

This lasted 3 hours and 30 minutes! I finally just couldn't stand it anymore and shut it off. I have no idea how much longer it was going to last, but it wasn't dim by any stretch of the imagination.

You could detect a (visual) brightness reduction at about 3 hours in... but it was very slight.

Only about 20 minutes later (near where I shut it down) was it actually starting to lose overall brightness.

Even THEN it was just as bright as most any of the other sabers I have.

Wow. GREAT power regulation Erv. :)

erv
05-01-2007, 06:06 AM
coincidence ? random option was added just after I made the vid. Adding the option at the beginning of the led.txt file will generate a random pattern at each stage of the sequencer. But the delay between each stage is kept, so that you can have a fast or slower random sequence, and of course, if the delays between stages is not constant, random pattern evolution will follow this non linear timeline :-)
Doubling LEDs is totally possible, just dupplicate the LED(s) you want and change the resistor (so that each LED get the proper current). The crystal chamber can be powered by a LED wired like the first LED on top of the bargraph, and it will follow the behavior of the luxeon, progressive power on, off, flickering ("movie flicker" energy variation of the blade) etc. As simple as wiring a LED, no configuration to make.
LED txt file are INDIVIDUAL per sound bank. 4 sound banks, 4 different config files AND 4 different LED files/sequences. One can be random, another static, another one OFF, the last one pattern sequenced etc.

Novastar : Nice to see that the autonomy is there !!! I'm going to love my li-ion pack. Note that those 3h are for a K2, with a forward voltage of 3.7V or so. With a red/red-orange/amber, the forward voltage is even smaller => regulation can be extended. With a regular 2500mAh nimh pack, I had 3h40 of autonomy, maybe more (I had to stop the saber before going to bed, it was too loud héhé)
Erv'

Wow, the LED bar thing is cooler than I would have thought! Is there any way to make it so that on one config they would flash randomly like near the beginning of your vid, and on another, all power on like the one at the top of the bar? For the saber I'm planning, there's an area that could double as an LED graph or a type of "crystal chamber" window, and I thought it would be cool if I could switch it between these by changing sound banks....

-Luke

erv
05-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Hi !
good news, the PCBs poped their heads this morning. It's going to be a busy week-end :-)
Still need to wire at least 2 or 3 boards before opening the bar, cause, like I've done in the past, it's better to double check manufactured PCBs BEFORE taking orders. But so far, my primary inspection for quality check did not reveal any defects.
I've also worked a bit my sound transitions, which are really smooth now, cause on V2, due to the ultra fine 16 bit sounds, a "hard" transition between two sounds (hum to swing in particular) could reveal sometime a little pop.
I'm now doing real time zero crossing, and since the sound files are premixed with the hum, it's never been so smooth !
Check my website after the week end, some of my puppies might be looking for adoption ! :mrgreen:

Marsupial
05-02-2007, 01:10 PM
How long do you estimate shipping to be from France to Canada?
I'm wondering if I'm to order before or after moving. I hate moving.

erv
05-02-2007, 01:33 PM
usually, it's between 7 and 10 open days (to the US). Trackable shipment + insurance is not different than simple & economy shipping in terms of delivery time.
I might have to move as well in sept/oct, and I'm pretty stressed about it :?
(yeah, a lathe+milling and a wood workbench is not the thing that you carry in your pocket, except if you're Iga Biva..... spooky, beam me up !!!)

erv
05-07-2007, 03:43 PM
I've created a sound trading/exchange area for crystal focus on my forums. It's here (http://www.plecterlabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106)

You'll find a good sound archive (that I won't name) to start making you own sound font. Plenty of usefull sounds, including little bidip-bidip sounds for the boot sound of the saber.

New idea (got that one with an exchange with corbin) : changing of sound bank currently requires to reboot the saber... with the safety key or the general power switch depending on the setup. Boring to do that.
Instead, power the blade off with the activation button or switch and press the aux button during 5 secs. it will automatically reboot. Boot sound again. Keep maintaining the aux button pressed. Release. Bank browsing . Selection. Here we go, new sound font.
what do you think ?

Second question : Currently, you need to press the aux button 5 sec for validation. Do you think it's too much ? I wanted it pretty secure, especially if it's used for rebooting the saber. Don't know if reducing this delay will really gain time. I mean, changing the sound font in 15 sec instead of 30 sec, does it make a difference ? (compared to opening the saber to swap the SD card or to change its contents with a laptop....)

Erv'

Marsupial
05-07-2007, 04:38 PM
How about "hold aux for at least 3 seconds, then hit the power button to call a reboot" - using both button in a predefined way should prevent accidental reboot?

I wouldn't be quite confortable with a single button calling reboot, just in case it happens during reinactment.

erv
05-08-2007, 12:14 AM
not a bad idea, however, it leads to several problems / questions :
- you need a confirmation of the "hold aux during 3 sec.". A beep can do it.
- not every one will have the same switch. My board is compatible with normally open, normally closed switch and momentary buttons. It's going to complicate the code for nothing to handle a confirmation with all those possibilities.

But the confirmation idea is nice. I'll go for a confirmation with the aux button itself. After the 3 seconds, first beep (high and short). If release and press again the button within 2 sec => new high beep + reset.
Else, cancel + one deep and longer beep.

safe enough ?

ah : I've added some realtime zero crossing everywhere. Sound transition is really seamless. Before playing a sound, the module waits for the current sound to go to 0 +/- 5%. Then transition can occur there, no clicks AT ALL (8 bit sounds did not allow to hear this little detail, but 16 bit sound do).

neophyl
05-08-2007, 07:07 AM
I still prefer having to power the sabre off completely to reboot. I cant think of why you would need to change sound banks 'on the fly' and Id prefer no chance of accidentally doing it.

For example I have the auxilary button on my v1 mounted next to the covertec as it was the only place it would go. Its out the way and doesnt get pressed accidentally while Im using the sabre as its 'shielded' by the covertec. However it could potentially be pressed when its worn on the belt. At the moment that doesnt matter at all.

If it was changed so that it activated a function while the sabre was powered on but not activated then while I might not change sound banks accidentally it might make the sabre bleep etc which is something Id want to avoid while interacting with the public during photoshoots etc.

erv
05-08-2007, 07:24 AM
yeah, good point. I know that it's frightening to think about rebooting the saber.
However :
- remember you need SABER OFF + aux. press for 3 sec, then release, then confirm within 2 sec by pressing again. Won't work with saber on. Same idea as keypad lock on your cell phone. No way it unlocks in you pocket if the unlocking combo is smart. Except that "**** happens" :lol:
- it's usefull to reboot the saber without the key cause it's sometimes a pain to find it in a deep pocket or pouche, especially if you wear gloves, and it starts taking time if you just want to demonstrate your various sound banks to friends. Of course, I'm not thinking of this during a fight / performance.
- I'm a peaceful Jedi. As wise as I can be. Deeps are my thoughts. So : Why not having that as another parameter on the SD card ? :wink:
I think it will please everyone !
you thoughts ?

Erv'

erv
05-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Okay, it works. New param "auxreboot" on the SD configuration file.
Same idea a proposed by marsupial : 3 sec holding down the aux button WITH SABER OFF => first high beep. Waits for release. Once release, 3 sec to validate the reboot by pressing the aux button again. Confirmation => high beep again, then reboot, boot sound etc.
No confirmation within the 3 sec, low beep, back to normal.
I'm sure you'll like it !
back to soldering some V2 :D
Erv'

Marsupial
05-08-2007, 09:01 AM
I like to think that there is now a use for the aux button while the saber is OFF... makes the whole thing more complete ;)

and I think that this method is safe ennough to prevent accidental misfire. Maybe we'll come up with something else later when we start using it, but I think its a good feature. This way, you don't REQUIRE a power cutoff to be able to change sound bank (which some builders might choose to do)

Thanks again Erv for yet another great inovation on the V2 :)

erv
05-08-2007, 09:20 AM
you're welcome, Marsupial.

LOL.... yeah... what the heck this button is useless when blade is off... héhé... let's find some use to it... :wink: Except that at the end, it's not a gadget...
Customer - "Hey Erv'.... when I press the aux button when the blade is off, it reboots !!!"
Erv' - "yep, I know. It's not a bug.... it's a FEATURE !"

BtW, thanks to all who are inputing ideas/issues/opinion here. CF is YOUR product, your saber core thingie. So thanks you for not being "just watching", but "thinking and exchanging" as well !
Erv'

I like to think that there is now a use for the aux button while the saber is OFF... makes the whole thing more complete ;)

neophyl
05-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Having the option to turn off the aux reboot is great thanks Erv.

I know its unlike to actually accidentally reboot the sabre by getting the correct combination. I wasnt worried about that aspect. It was more a case of it would still make the high tone confirmation beep if it was pressed accidentally even if the rest of the reboot process didnt happen.

Now get back to making those v2's as I need to order 6.

erv
05-08-2007, 11:10 AM
sooo british ! I love it :D
okay folks, good news. Virtually assembled 20 units of Crystal Focus V2 (except that I have only 12 microcontrollers, the others are on the way).

The restaurant is open. So, if you gentlemen want some breakfast, we have a reduced number of continental dishes. Eggs Anystyle, but our specialty is French Bread Buttered toast.... with Jam.

Be quick, cause I think those 12 plates will soon disapeared :-)

Now get back to making those v2's as I need to order 6.

Marsupial
05-08-2007, 11:43 AM
..... I ... could be... the first... to order a V2!!!!!!

actually went to the store and wanted to click the buy button.

But I'm moving in about 6 weeks and don't want to take the risk of having it shipped to the wrong address to some dude that wouldn't know what it is.

Sucks.

Congrats on opening the sales Erv!

BTW: TCSS is the lucky forum to have the info first, its not yet posted on erv's board! :shock:

erv
05-08-2007, 12:35 PM
yeah... I know... :lol:
things are going pretty slow in France, not a lot of saber geeks. I actually posted on 2 major french forums, rebel legion french base and Ligue Costumé Francophone / LCF 8)

OMG... got some orders... (who would complain about that ?)
Erv'

BTW: TCSS is the lucky forum to have the info first, its not yet posted on erv's board! :shock:

xwingband
05-08-2007, 12:37 PM
I saw the 12 for sale earlier today. Erv told me to give him an e-mail before though... so I waited.

I think someone ordered within the same few minutes as me because I saw it go to 11 when I put mine in the cart, but now it's at 10. *shrug* I got mine... how about you! :P

Marsupial
05-08-2007, 12:44 PM
*sigh* I almost has been the first to order.
number was at 12 earlier today, no "buy" button. Then the "buy" button was there, then the number was counting down.

As long as there's some left for me when I'm done moving.

Oh, Erv... ya une bonne raison pour laquelle personne achetes la V2 en France!!! tout le monde a deja ton vieux module et la V1! :P

erv
05-09-2007, 03:31 AM
you guys are.... thieves ! :shock: :mrgreen:
opened the sales yesterday evening, I'm out of stock less than 24h after...
More CF V2 on the way, I've received some of the missing parts, now, I have to take time to assemble them !
Orders that were made will be honored within the end of the week !
Erv'

*sigh* I almost has been the first to order.
number was at 12 earlier today, no "buy" button. Then the "buy" button was there, then the number was counting down.
As long as there's some left for me when I'm done moving.

neophyl
05-09-2007, 04:05 AM
By the time I managed to get through to Diz who was placing our order for them there were only 4 left, so he bought them all.

Still want a couple more though lol.

Now Ive just got to build sabres for them all.

Barmic Rin
05-09-2007, 04:55 AM
Still so much to buy before CE that I think i'll have to give V2 amiss until afterwards! D'oh! Still, V1 is lovely and shiny still, so I guess i'll make do! :wink:

Gotta buy me some new boots first, then onto the toast! :D

erictank
05-10-2007, 07:34 PM
you guys are.... thieves ! :shock: :mrgreen:
opened the sales yesterday evening, I'm out of stock less than 24h after...
More CF V2 on the way, I've received some of the missing parts, now, I have to take time to assemble them !
Orders that were made will be honored within the end of the week !
Erv'

That explains it - I checked the store from work in the VERY early morning, saw that they were in, and made plans to buy one when I got home. Under 3 hours later, there was no "buy" button. :shock: :D

I look forward to your getting more boards made, Erv - I actually have money to spend on saber stuff now!

-Eric

erv
05-10-2007, 11:00 PM
hopefully, I'll have some time today to finish processing pending orders and solder more CF V2. Actually they're here, just the speaker is not attached, and firmware not programmed, so it should be quick.
As usual, I prefer to make sure they all work before putting them for sale.

I have to count exactly the parts I have, I still have some controller missing, but if you guys want to book a CF V2, I might open the sales for all the boards I have. However, the controllers I'm expecting won't be there before 2 weeks, so you'll have to be patient.
The first processed orders were shipped yesterday evening (equate to this morning finally) :D

erictank
05-10-2007, 11:33 PM
hopefully, I'll have some time today to finish processing pending orders and solder more CF V2. Actually they're here, just the speaker is not attached, and firmware not programmed, so it should be quick.
As usual, I prefer to make sure they all work before putting them for sale.

I have to count exactly the parts I have, I still have some controller missing, but if you guys want to book a CF V2, I might open the sales for all the boards I have. However, the controllers I'm expecting won't be there before 2 weeks, so you'll have to be patient.
The first processed orders were shipped yesterday evening (equate to this morning finally) :D

If you open up sales in advance, I'm in for one.

-Eric

erv
05-11-2007, 02:58 AM
Check the website by the end of the day, some more should be there !

8 more CF V2 online

BtW, making some audio test on my V2, I discovered that the latency between motion and sounds is... EVEN BETTER THAN V1 ! :shock:
Got an average of 30 or 35 ms on clashes. Means that I DIVIDED by 2 the latency compared to V1. Not to say that this works as well for Omnisabers, since it's based on the CF board :D
Motion detection has never been so fast on this board !

erictank
05-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Looks like I checked just in time - as of now (after placing my own 1-unit order), there are only 2 boards left. :D

Looking forward to getting it and building my saber!

Madcow
05-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Hey Erv,
Forgive me if you've adressed this already...
With V2 - is it possible to configure it for an instant ignite, without ramping up... and still ramp down to shut off?

MC

erv
05-12-2007, 05:48 AM
Hi MC...
2 anwsers :
- no
- not yet :wink:

currently, you can slow down ignition using the orientation/pitch shifting of sounds. Pitch ****ing here is cheap, just slowing down sounds, and since ignition ramp is aligned on sound playback duration...
3 options about what you ask :
- have a really short ignition sound. Might work, well I haven't tested
- I add this option to the firmware
- I make a special version for you.

how fast do you need the blade to turn on ? do you plan to have an ultra fast ignition sound ?
Erv'

Hey Erv,
Forgive me if you've adressed this already...
With V2 - is it possible to configure it for an instant ignite, without ramping up... and still ramp down to shut off?

MC

[ADDON]
Can't resist to share that one with you... probably too late to be accepted for the 2008 calendar, but who knows...

http://www.plecterlabs.com/images/gallery/AssemblingButteredToastV2.jpg

Hope you'll like it !

Enolmano
05-12-2007, 06:48 AM
:D

But I want cheese?

erv
05-12-2007, 06:52 AM
mmm... no...
you "would like cheese" :lol: :wink:
Cheese is on the wish list... for V3 :mrgreen:

xwingband
05-12-2007, 07:20 AM
Please no V3 for like a year...

Our wallets will thank us and I have a hard time imagining at this point what else needs to be done to make it better.

erv
05-12-2007, 08:10 AM
LOL !
don't worry, I'm not going to work on a V3. I really plan to ground that V2 as a "standard" product. And I know it's expensive for you guys. Not to say that on my side it an awfull amount of work, and I just can't work for my regular job, plus designing, plus assembling. Well, I can, but not all the time :D
however, I already have some funny or silly mods for the current firmware. Like audio player from a saber. You feel lonely, tired or weak, let's play a bit of the imperial march from your favorite hand tool :mrgreen:

neophyl
05-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Come now, you mean dual of the fates surely ;)

Come to think of it whats the biggest file for a switch on noise - mmmmm

Jonitus
05-12-2007, 09:09 AM
A combination lightsaber and .mp3 player?

...sweet

Keep it hush, or Steve Jobs will get his grubby paws on it and call it iSaber.

pockets
05-12-2007, 09:23 AM
i bet it would be pretty easy to mod an ipod shuffle into a lightsaber hilt!, thats my next lightsaber hilt. after this one, and after my next one i want to incorporate a crystal chamber into

Firebird21
05-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Now that's a calender entry right there!

Madcow
05-12-2007, 10:34 AM
how fast do you need the blade to turn on ? do you plan to have an ultra fast ignition sound ?
Erv'

I really like the MR conversions I've done... how they light snaps on instantly to the ignition sound... but I LOVE your V2 retraction.
So... at some point it would be great to see your fast ignition option.

MC
Great pic Erv!

erv
05-12-2007, 11:51 AM
done !

Now that's a calender entry right there!

MC : I'll see how I can propose this feature. Real immediate power on is impossible to achieve cause I'm regulating the current with PWM. I can't put it full throttle cause I don't know the state of the batteries. Well, this for first ignition only, afterwards, it would work.
The down side of the immediate ignition is that you power on the LED, then play the sound, then only have the candle effect activated (you can't have it during the power on sound playing).
I'll see how short a power on sound can be, which would be the proper way to do it.

Erv'

Ryma Mara
05-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Ok I have to ask but what the hell is Nutella?

erv
05-12-2007, 12:22 PM
here's the full story !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutella

they also make "kinder surprise", a chocolate egg with a surprise/toy inside :-)

Ok I have to ask but what the hell is Nutella?

Ryma Mara
05-12-2007, 12:26 PM
I see. do you guys have apple butter over there?

erv
05-12-2007, 02:17 PM
apple butter ? first time I hear about this ! got to try when I come back in the US in June !!!
or... Plan B
http://www.pickyourown.org/applebutter.htm

miom ! :D

Ryma Mara
05-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Its awsome stuff.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2600/51kpme87gnlaa280te0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

SID
05-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Just finished my saber using the TCSS MHS and Erv's Cryatal Focus Core v1.

The hilt, form top to bottom, consists of blade holder, ribbed mid section extension, mid section and pommel.

The sound board sits at the bottom of the saber, behind the speaker, and due the available space I moved the battery (9v square) to the extension section.

Set it up with the extra switch for lock up effect and blaster deflect. which is neat

I have to say that this little board is a serious piece of kit, very impressed. And the bit I like most about it is that you can change to parameters so that the effects and sounds suit you. Your not stuck with factory presets.

I have shown it to a few friends, who were skepticle at first, that was until I turned it on. Now they want one.

And just when I thought it couldn't get any better the version 2 is now available. :D

Novastar
05-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Bravo, Sid! For fun, download my "sound font" (as Erv states it) on his website. It's fairly robust, and certainly includes a better lockup and blaster deflection sound effect.

But certainly the nice part about buttered toast is that you can change from wheat to white to rye to peppered to sourdough to french, heheheh

FRENCH!!!! heheheh :D

SID
05-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Novastar, nice sounds

Novastar
05-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks Sid.

Which brings me to another point. For *ALL* of you out there who have experience (or patience) with sound files...

...see if you can design a great sound set for Erv's board and send it to him for posting online!

The more sound configurations, the better--and people can then choose from a variety--or mix & match to their heart's content.

Anyone out there--you are looking to do the following:

1. Create/find a high quality .wav as your "original"
2. Alter it with Erv's mixing software, or DIY
3. Do your best to make the last few ms of the sound move to the "zero point", and the same for the first few ms of the sound. This is EASY to do, and can be done in many different ways.
4. For CFv1, you want to save a .raw file (8 bit, unsigned, 176bps, mono, 22050Hz)
5. For CFv2, you want to save a .raw file (16 bit, unsigned, little endian, 22050Hz)

Personally, I say we make a contest out of it, and not really need a "prize", but just have people enjoy, vote, and maybe Erv announces which sound plan "won"... which came in 2nd, 3rd, etc. :)

Hope to see some of your "fonts" up there!

Jonitus
05-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Seriously, y'all...get on with making some sounds. Novastar and I are tired of our sound fonts being the only ones out there. Variety is the spice of life. The spice must flow.

Novastar
05-15-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm not so much tired of it, as I really only just "released" it, heheh... but would love to see wonderous variety.

As we like with saber design, SO MOTE IT BE with sounds!

In fact, I *JUST* finished a sith/evil sound package as of this minute. I'll send it to Erv for posting on his site. All are welcome to use it.

Jonitus
05-15-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm not so much tired of it, as I really only just "released" it, heheh... but would love to see wonderous variety.

As we like with saber design, SO MOTE IT BE with sounds!

In fact, I *JUST* finished a sith/evil sound package as of this minute. I'll send it to Erv for posting on his site. All are welcome to use it.

Fair enough. I'm tired. My sound font sat out there for a long time with no company...just like life.

erv
05-16-2007, 11:40 AM
yep, I LOVE to receive soundfont... especially because I have really little time to work on that, but thanks to jonitus, shinoby, neophyl, and novastar,
I've gathered a nice collection of sounds and I could make a total of 4 sounds fonts. The last one Nova sent me, I made it in the train this morning, I've finished it for CF V2. I sent him a mixdown of all sounds, so he should send me back the RAW file archive very soon and I'll put it online.
I still have to put links in the forums for the original sounds people used to make the sound fonts. Cause since sounds are mixed with the hum for a seamless playback, you can't reuse RAW mixed files for different sound fonts. That's why I keep track of any WAV files I'm using, and I'll share that very soon !
Jonitus is right : I've designed that sound board so that people can put ANY sound in it.
I guess that now, we also have to make a "having casual se$ with farm animal" version, as well as a "christmas sounds" editions :mrgreen:
Still dreaming of CF V### signature edition featuring satriani or vai !!!

Novastar
05-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Actually, "I am altering the deal", lol.

I'm making some adjustments to the lock sound and some others since it wasn't quite as perfect as I wanted.

I also realized... to take advantage of a speaker, you want to get sounds that push the envelope of 1db on the sound waveform. Otherwise--it won't be as nice.

Granted, you don't want your "HUM" sound to be quite so bloody high. More like 0.7 or up to 0.85dB. If that. But not 0.5 db.

I'm learning. :)

erv
05-17-2007, 04:50 AM
I come back for a not so good reason :

since I've never toyed with li ion batteries (unavailable in france), I've tested my V2... only with nimh packs. The unit was test in idle (hum playing) with voltages up to 12V, but not "in use".

Testing with my li-ion batt stick, I've discovered a nasty bug when working on my K2 saber. It does not do it on V1 (Novastar has a li ion pack in his last flange saber), only on V2, I suspect it's a side effect of the new compiler I've used for V2 (new processor on it).
It happens during clashes, blaster blocking effect or blade lockup. It concerns ONLY powering the module with a voltage > 5.5 V :
- 4 AA or 4 AAA non rechargeable (alkaline)
- li ion pack 7.4V

symptoms : saber freezes then reboots after a clash, blaster, blade lockup.
reason : rounding error for the quickflash generated by this effect, pushing the driver to 110%. The driver is actually push to much more than that. I don't know the exact behavior of that, I'm still investigating, but I've removed one line of code and now it works perfect.

Most of my customers are in europe and use a 4 AA rechargeable batt pack, so there is absolutly no problem with that power solution.
However, I have a few customers in the US that might wish to use the module with a 7.4 V li-ion batt pack. In this case, there might be a problem.

Contact me directly if you planned to use such a pack. Don't worry, it's not a hardware misconception, but a software issue.

My sincere appologies for not discovering that earlier, I hope you'll remain confident in my products

Cheers,
Erv'

Jonitus
05-17-2007, 05:59 AM
I doubt anyone will get too worked up over a simple thing such as a simple software issue. It's nearly impossible to plan for every single combination out there the saber enthusiast may use.

Is it possible to flash the affected V2 boards to update the software to eliminate the "bug"?

Novastar
05-17-2007, 07:18 AM
Great question Jonitus... I think that is exactly what he means. My guess is that Erv could simply re-program the hardware (via software) to avoid the error.

Don't worry Erv. We have your back--I agree with Jon that no one is going to DOUBT your products...

ALL products have bugs. Even "simple" driver ones.

What I will come out and say that I'M ***CRAZY*** impressed by is that you already found this out. That was bloody QUICK!

I don't have a v2 yet, so I'm fine with v1.2 for now.

Strydur
05-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Hey Erv..Can I get my saber to play the TCSS theme song?

scott5050
05-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Convert MP3 to Raw then make it the bootup sound...

erv
05-17-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm stressed like hell, and like magic, Strydur pops out with something that brings my mood back :lol:

Yes you can, as a boot sound for instance. I haven't checked what's the longest file you can play, though (should not be too long however, cause you'll have to wait for the song to finish before being able to use the saber, well, it's programmed this way for the moment, but there is not reason I can't change that).
I was thinking about adding a real audio player function, accessible thru the bank selection menu.

Hey Erv..Can I get my saber to play the TCSS theme song?

ok, now about my less funny story...
After I've removed my silly line of code it was almost working well. Really a new compiler side effect, same line of code as V1, result of the calculation is wrong, leading to an excess of current to the luxeon and the module gets stuck.
Second problem : one decoupling capacitor missing. Payed attention to make all my ground signals in star. One branch going to the logic and SD, another to the sound amp, the last to the luxeon power. Guess what, the polygon processor in my pcb software took a nice shortcut. It completed a ground plane polygone connecting the ground path of an IC with the luxeon ground power path.
Consequence : when doing blaster/lockup/clash, light shimmering leads to current fluctuations that leak into the digital circuitry and wets the SD etc. Freeze...
It only happens when the current perturbation is important, when the power supply is high compared to the logic voltage (3.3V). That's why at 5.5v it's ok.
The proper way to solve that is to separate the 2 grounds. But a decoupling capacitor does the same job. What makes me very angry is that it didn't do it all the time. After I've removed the buggy line of code, I spent hours knocking clashes on my module, still getting a freeze after 25 really close impacts. It took me several hours to understand what was happening on the hardware side, and WHY on EARTH it was not the same with V1.
The next batch of PCB will of course solve that.

to sum it up, if you plan to use it with a voltage > 5.5V, which is finally anything excep a 4 AA/AAA nimh rechargeable pack, contact me for a modification procedure, I'll take care of that. It requires reprogramming the board at the lab, and one capacitor soldering. Takes about 5 minutes. Stupid... I know. I really wished I had tested that with a li-ion pack before putting the boards for sale (if only we could find those in France...)
Erv'

xwingband
05-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Hmm... :? I'll send you an e-mail. Soldering I'm okay with...

If the hardware update is more of a hassle than I feel like extending the effort I guess 4.8V it will be! :)

Novastar
05-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Dude... Erv is WAY cool... how does he figure *OUT* all of this insane stuff??!?!?!?

I'm just impressed he got it so quickly. I mean, I sometimes spend MONTHS trying to isolate a bug on (for example) running some software on XP, or troubleshooting a simple wiring problem.

Granted, XP is like 4000x more complex than running a saber... but the SD card config is pretty darn complexxxxx!!!!

Anyhow... Erv, if you need a Li-Ion test pack, I'd be glad to send one to you in exchange for credit on a future board or whatever. Is that what you were saying? You can't really get the Li-Ion there in France? Sucks!

Just e-mail me if you think I can help.

erv
05-17-2007, 11:18 AM
I got the opportunity to get a 7.4V stick pack + charger, that's why I've tested my board with it. If not... well... I can't imagine the bad surprise for customers, so one or the other, I prefer to figure out FIRST.
When I tried yesterday, I could not understand. I was using my old hand made prototype and when powered on the li-ion pack, it would cut if a clash was applied. Tested it back on the lab power supply (which stayed on 5.2 V... of course)... worked again. Got a very bad sleep...
This morning, worked on that starting at 7 AM while it's holiday here... pfff....
cut the heatshinking of the li-ion pack to check the value of the part on the protection IC, DL the datasheet of the ICs... because I was SURE it was the protection IC that was cutting at like 2A or even lower, instead of 5A. And that therefore blaster/lockup/clash would activate the protection on a li-ion pack. Well, part of it was that. The excess of current due to the silly line of code lead the driver to pump more than 2A, probably 4 or 5 and got the batt pack protection working ! (pretty cool test). And my k2 is still there, even after sinking like 4A (ok, during one second only).

now, for the FUN part... if you've read until this point. Strydur, this is FOR YOU (and all others of course). The board you'll see there is patched, and has been running at 10V / 1.3 A (green K2) for 3 hours with about 2,000 clashes (no joke).

Special TCSS signature edition of buttered toast V2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfN_Nh4gzBg)

Enjoy,
Erv'

Marsupial
05-17-2007, 03:20 PM
I know what you mean about different processors or different compilers... what's supposed to work doesn't always do even if they follow a standard, and then you have to find a way out. But hey, makes that you feel better when you find a solution!!! It wouldn't be fun if it was too easy ;)

I smiled to the TCSS song boot up, nice touch.!!

Sucks tough that a simple new batt pack would have helped debuging this beforehand, but congrats on finding it before anyone had problems.
Q: What happens if you put a larger AA batterypack? (e.g. 6AA)

Novastar
05-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Erv... that is funny... I'm beginning to think...

...get this...

Mark and I have been having (probably) a SIMILAR problem wiring up our LED blasters!!!

Basically--they wouldn't work right. For some reason, with these certain 7.4 "sticks" (I'm assuming they must be VERY similar)... they would sort of "flash" and then not work.

I say it's the PCBs. Bad ones. I'll be returning those--and it's my own fault for going with another vendor instead of the one I normally go with!!!

I KNOW Erv's v1.2 works with 7.4Li-Ion... I have TWO sabers working on that, and they function just dandy fine.

erv
05-17-2007, 11:07 PM
it's not related to the battery technology, but with voltage, so with 6 AA you'll have a problem as well. Well, you WOULD HAVE HAD, cause now it's fixed (ouf) !

The li-ion stick I'm using can be seen in the 7.4V pack of battery-space.com. More or less silly things in the description. They sware there's a polyswitch in it. There is not. Polyswitch is a retriggerable fuse. Principle is based on particules that tend to move aways from each other with heat. Too much current in this slightly resistive material => heat => resistance increases => fuse effect.

Protection PCB said to cut at 5A or short circuit (delay = 1 sec). Checked the value of the parts on the PCB and compared with the datasheets of the IC, that's correct.

Q: What happens if you put a larger AA batterypack? (e.g. 6AA)

erv
05-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Okay, Got some better news...

I made several tests today, and the board can live and work perfectly without a software upgrade. I know that one of you probably already sent 2 boards over there, but that's no big deal, cause I'll take care of the hardware mod myself.

I've worked on 4 boards I've upgraded and they ran during 3 hours at 1.3 A with no bug and perfectly handling the clash quickflash (which was still there on that firmware).

Talking with some of you, it seems that making the mod as DIY is at the reach of many people. I'll be honest, it's pretty simply and it just requires :
- a fine tip soldering iron
- you know how to use it
- a tweezer
- a drop of cyanoacrylate glue / loctite super glue

What to do (only if you plan to use the board with a voltage > 5.5V) :
- solder a 1kohm 0603 smd resitor between 2 legs of a transistor (0603 is a code for a package / size of SMD parts). Green Section on pic above
- solder a 100 nF 0603 smd capacitor on top of an IC with some wrapping wire, or a piece of single copper hair extracted from a stripped wire. Red section on pic above. After soldering both leads of the capacitor, sitting on top of that small 5 terminals IC, put a drop of super glue on the tip of a resistor terminal / needle / piece of hard wire and put it at the junction of the capacitor and the IC. By capillarity effect, the glue will go under and will seal the part on top of the IC, making sure it won't move.

http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/repairCFV2.jpg

I'll ship the required parts to anyone asking me (email me then). If you feel like you probably can't do it yourself, I'll take that in charge, of course.
Erv'

ti-el_terall
05-19-2007, 01:19 PM
hey Erv, Im having troubles changing thesounds on the board. I downloaded jonitus's sounds and the configure file. WHen I send power to the board it doesnt play anyhting now. What am I doind wrong? Heres how the file looks (ignore the files, my camera is made to also be a sd card reader)
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/Ti-el_Terall/2.jpg

Firebird21
05-19-2007, 01:51 PM
I think you have to remove those files for it to work... (DCIM & MP3)

It appears as if your camera automatically puts those folders on your Card when you turn the camera on with the SD Card in. It's so you can take pictures as soon as you turn it on.

Try deleting those files, clicking the Disconnect hardware button and removing the Card. If you disconnect the camera before removing the Card it will likely reinstall those files again.

erv
05-19-2007, 02:11 PM
the extra folders by themselves are not necesseraly the reason, but I'm not sure the digital camera formats the card in FAT16, which is required to get the board working properly. Formating is required when changing the sounds.
(cause windowZ and FAT leaves double files when you overwrite and fragments the contents, and deleting the files do not supress that problem).

Second additional question : do you have a V1 or V2 ? (just asking, cause Jonitus sound font is for V1)

Erv'

ti-el_terall
05-19-2007, 02:19 PM
V1, Ierased the files and it still doesnt work. I guess Il just pick up an SD card reader later this week.

Novastar
05-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Ti-ei-teril... did you try some of the following:

1. Under any XP drive window... tools --> Folder Options --> View --> SHOW HIDDEN FILES & FOLDERS... and then have a look at the SD card.

2. Try selecting all files... then press alt-enter (aka, "properties" --> Advanced --> "For fast searching, allow files to be indexed"... remove any and all check marks.

I have had issues with those bloody Nikon folders "DCIM" and something else mucking up my photos. I formatted the thing and it worked.

Also--I *HAVE* had some issues where certain sounds just seemed to "not work" with Erv's board. I can't explain it.

But... after editing sounds, changing them around, playing with them... I was able to make it work.

I hope it helps. I really can't tell ya much unless you maybe sent your sound files and config and I could see if they worked with MY v1.2...

erv
05-20-2007, 12:28 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the camera, they sometimes do WEIRD things as card readers.
and be sure to FORMAT the card.

ti-el_terall
05-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Nova, I did that and it still didnt work. Erv, how would I go about formating it?

erv
05-20-2007, 09:19 PM
just as written in the manual, my friend...
windows explorer, right click, contextual menu, format. FAT16 (written FAT, generally).
If the camera only proposes you FAT32 in the menu, then you need a usb card reader

Nova, I did that and it still didnt work. Erv, how would I go about formating it?

erv
05-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Hi there !
okay, I'm coming back with some really good news.
When I made some test about current vs voltage applied to various luxeon with Crystal Focus, I actually underestimate its "power". For some reason the PSU at work is not so good and pretty badly scaled, so the numbers I read were unaccurate.
The full story is there :
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51200
I wrote an article on my website to produce a "tutorial" out of this.

Good point : with the Lux V, it DOES starts behaving at the right current with 6.7V. I measured 4.34W but my RMS voltmeter is not perfect. Anyway, it's running the specified wattage. 160 lumen !!!!
It means that with a 7.4V battery pack (li-ion 2 cells) which actually starts at 8.4V, you have plenty of autonomy with current regulation. Probably not as much as with a red lux III, but enough time to have fun at full brightness.
I was not a good friend of lux V until now.... maybe I'll soon change my mind.

NEW : I've tested the board up to 1.5 A. It works. I was worry about it cause I don't like to reduce a safety margin on a sensitive electronic part (the self inductance of the driver)... But it works very well. My eyes will really not see a difference between 1.3 and 1.5A but well... for the folks who sware only by "I want the brightest luxeon saber on earth", here you go. Now you can really shape your K2 into a personnal heater, usefull for conventions happening in winter. I still have to test that deeply, during many hour with different voltages to make sure it's ok but so far...

Now, for Novastar, Neophyl and Firebird (and others). I did listen to your demands and... I worked on the power saving issue. With a bunch of smart lines of code, I got the idle current shot down from 20 mA to... 6mA.
Ok, I was targetting 1 mA, but... it's not so bad IMO. We therefore step from a 5 day discharge of the saber to something like 3 week or a month, depending what kind of batteries you have.
Note : I don't beat MR boards. Those have an electrical power swith somewhere to cut out all the juice. They can do it because :
*** they don't care about the power loss generated by such an remote controlled switch. Just like the power losses of the spring pins of the battery holder. They don't care cause it's been designed as a toy and every nice and reasonable parent knows that he/she MUST buy tons of batteries for the toys of the kids.
*** they don't need the board to "work" even during idle. I continue to monitor the motion sensor so that orientation of the blade can be used to slow down or accelerate the blade ignition and playback pitch at startup.

If I really would like to reduce those 6 mA, I'll need a bigger board to put the switch/transistor on it (I don't have access to silicon dye etching to build up a custom chip like the one covered by resin on MR boards). The extra current I still have in idle is :
- microcontroller : 1mA. Can't reduce more except by going in sleep mode but then I can't compute anymore in idle
- audio amp : 4mA (!) of biasing. No Chip Select pin (what a shame)
- motion sensor : .6 mA. Need it to work in idle for the blade orientation

So... I hope you might however consider this as an "improvement". You know, I do listen to people, but sometimes, it has to make its way to my neurone(s?). Call me slow if you want to, héhéhé :lol:
But you still need need a safety key to cut the power. However, it's not a problem if you forget to put it back for a few days.

Erv'

Madcow
05-21-2007, 02:46 PM
That's great news Erv! I planned on putting a "key" into the saber rechgarge port when not in use, to cut all current.

By the way - have you had any complaints/issues from customers who are using Windows Vista?

MC

Novastar
05-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Erv, that all sounds FANTASTIC. Man tu travaille tres vite!!!

6ma off/idle draw is much better than up to 20ma.

Also, it appears the audio amp is drawing the most, but there is not much to be done with that.

Some questions:

1. Can the v1.2 be driven at 1.5A?
2. So you're saying the Lux V (160 lumens) *CAN* be brighter for a good amount of time on 7.4/7.2v compared to a K2 (113 lumens)?

Thanks!

xwingband
05-21-2007, 07:06 PM
2. So you're saying the Lux V (160 lumens) *CAN* be brighter for a good amount of time on 7.4/7.2v compared to a K2 (113 lumens)?

Ditto!

Based on the previous thread I convinced a person that a K2 was a wiser choice because there wouldn't be much time where you would be getting the advertised amount of lumens.

I still side with the K2 but that would certainly be important to the customer I was talking to.

erv
05-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Xwing : my appologies for saying something different this time. The PSU at work really sucks... it has digital displays but it does not mean it's accurate enough...
The new measurements I've made a indeed much closer to the reality. Previous measurements, especially with the lux V tended to hightlight my board had big losses (you need to power with more voltage to obtain the right output voltage to the luxeon). Now everything is matching. Needing 6.7V to obtain 6.2V (average) on the luxeon, that's perfect. 500 mV of loss in the power path of a step down converter is acceptable (92% of efficiency).
Now about autonomy / time for a lux V : I don't know yet. I'd need to setup a benchmark test with a battery but I don't have the time right now. Note that the lux V is taking only 700 mA so the discharge rate will be lower than with a lux III. Even if the voltage threshold/limit is higher, current is lower and it should balance. Li-ion have a really flat discharge curve, so I bet for on for a 2400 mA two-cell li-ion pack...

MC : no, no complains about windows vista. I don't have it myself. Any specific troubles you'd like to share ? Is it about running my saber sound mixing software ?

Novastar : V1.2 can be driver to 1.5A but... requires software upgrade (to remove the software safety limitation of 1.3A). IMO it's a waste of time cause I can't tell the difference. I tried yesterday evening, in a semi dark room, swapping between the 2 (1.3 / 1.5)... Can't tell.

I've just finished the new version of the PCB. CF version 2.1. Correct the hardware bug with the 2 missing parts, and with the advice of Novastar, I separated a bit the + and - solder pads of the power supply and same on the luxeon side (driver's output).... to avoid a critical situation with short circuit, smoke etc... my iron has a 200 µm needle tip, so I easily forget about that kind of aspect... Thanks novastar, other people will thank you for you nice ideas and wiseness !

Novastar
05-22-2007, 01:34 AM
Sounds great Erv! And no problem on what little advice/suggestions I can give. I really can't add much, as I'm not an electronic Jedi Wizard like yourself, heheh.

Although I certainly think separating + & - are certainly good ideas... just for pure safety. The more safety the better--especially when these kinds of PCBs are under crazy duress and shock.

Interesting that I *CAN* upgrade v1.2 to handle 1.5amps... would love to do so anyhow--to take advantage of the K2. Let me know if there is some way we can do this someday. I'm in no rush though... :) And yes... I of ALL people realize that the difference from 1.3 to 1.5 is very little.

However... I do indeed notice a difference from 0.7 /0.8A to the 1.3A. However, it is fairly small. In fact, often just the slight difference from one LED (of the same color) will bias a decision!

But we've all talked about that on another thread... all the things that alter brightness/perceived brightness... :)

I have one more (small) idea I'll pass by you via e-mail... ;)

erv
05-24-2007, 02:52 AM
a customer sent me a little video of the saber he made using CF V2... I'm so pleased to see the force effect executed by someone else !!! he does it with the two hands, but the best looking way to do it is to push away the saber from your body while pressing the aux button (let's say left hand at 9'o clock) while "pushing" virtually your opponent with the right hand (at 12' o clock). The clash effect and movie flicker are not well displayed on the video, I suppose it's been made with a 15 frame/sec webcam.

Thalree Saber on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDUQ7Qp_k2s)

erv
05-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Now, I put all my videos on youtube, to avoir my server to be overcharged, and also because I had a lot of people wondering how to read divx videos.

You can see all my videos here :

Irvin Plecter Youtube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/irvinplecter)

subscribe if you wish to be automatically notified for updates !

like my last delirium !!! check this out ! my english locution is not so good in impro facing the camera, but well, recorded just after the first coffee, at work in my office, in 5 min or so.
A fake TV commercial about.... a real FEATURE of crystal focus V2 (neophyl, you're gonna like that one)

The next step for Crystal Focus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWelYvP2Vhw)

(and please post comments on youtube, it helps !). Feel free to share and to forward to friends !
Erv'

pockets
06-01-2007, 05:54 AM
hahaha erv i love your T shirt in that 2nd link. very nice haha

Hasid Lafre
06-01-2007, 06:12 AM
Thats awsome

Ravage179
06-01-2007, 11:28 AM
I was gonna set mine up with rock you like a hurricane before the ignition... now i can just load the whole song!

Firebird21
06-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Dude! That's awsome!

What's the trade-in value on the V1?

vortextwist
06-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Dude! That's awsome!

I second that!!!!!!!

xwingband
06-01-2007, 06:52 PM
For you sound font makers... steal from this if you feel like it. I plan on it.

That site had an overpriced soundboard with only those sounds. Heck, if nothing I can use their sounds. :twisted:

erv
06-02-2007, 03:43 PM
xwing, I did not understand a word of what you said.... :roll: (damn limited french guy)

"play the whole song" : there's currently a limitation in file size that you can use (v1 or V2). Still need to work on that to improve the handling of the SD card. Now I'm stuck with the audio player cause I have only like 20 MB to store uncompressed audio tracks (it's not MP3, just the same PCM raw format I use for the saber sounds). It handles up to 16 tracks but I can't use them right now. So, I continue working on that before releasing it.
But for the boot sound for instance, you can put a 3-5 sec sound if you like it. I've done it when I stored a fragment of TCSS theme song as the boot sound (video on youtube).

oh : I've just decided to count what Crystal Focus "is"..... 121 solder point per board + half of it to pre solder before putting the parts on it.
Each Crystal Focus is then : 181 solders. All SMDs.
50 boards made : 9050 solders. Since May 7th. I'm not counting SD card formating and file uploading...
maybe I'm not so slow finally :shock: :lol:

vortextwist
06-02-2007, 03:58 PM
xwing, I did not understand a word of what you said.... :roll :shock: :lol:

that's ok, Neither did I

Luke-SkyMarcher
06-02-2007, 07:52 PM
I think he left out a link :?:

Marsupial
06-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Each Crystal Focus is then : 181 solders. All SMDs.

I'm kinda happy you sell them as complete board, not "kits"... :twisted:

xwingband
06-02-2007, 08:23 PM
I think he left out a link :?:

Shoot... I remember adding a link WTH...

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/saberfight.wav

Steal away. I thought the sounds were cool.

erv
06-02-2007, 11:33 PM
ohhhhh, I remember this website, in the early days of EL and afterwards, looking for optic fiber cable (how to forget such a lovely designed website...). Close to an ultraboard for the price... with only 2 sounds... aouch... and using the term lightsaber...
well...

I'm kinda happy you sell them as complete board, not "kits"... :twisted:

lol... think however some people ASKED me if I could provide kit. It was like they saw the picture and the smds, they had no idea how to assemble it, not the proper soldering iron etc... but they would have done anything not to pay $130.... which I somehow understand but it's out of my mind to ask the car salesman if I could have this nice mercedez benz in kit, just to pay less...
(I'm not saying that CF is a mercedez.... nor a roll royce... it's just that it IS expensive :wink: )

Novastar
06-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Shoot... I remember adding a link WTH...

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/saberfight.wav

Steal away. I thought the sounds were cool.
X to the Z... those are the direct sounds from the Obi v. Vader in EP IV. It's a sequence where they don't talk during that particular moment.

Great work on the new v2.5, Erv... :)

xwingband
06-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Good ear... I'm stealing them. I like the crackle. Maybe the force push could even become force lightning. :twisted:

Hasid Lafre
06-03-2007, 06:23 PM
I love the OT sounds but my most favy ignition sound is when luke first fires up his saber when he goes to chop the stabalizer off the speeder bike on endor.

Novastar
06-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Good ear... I'm stealing them. I like the crackle. Maybe the force push could even become force lightning. :twisted:Or, you could use the lockup as a lightning sound.

That's actually the really great thing about Erv's board... in fact... I will be soon releasing a sound set for his board that will make people think a bit differently, heheh.

ti-el_terall
06-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Ok, so I finally got my sd card reader. It ends up the SD card is messed up and cant be used, Im using my other one and it still doesnt work. Should the SD card have a specific name? Should the files bein a folder on the sd card?

Firebird21
06-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Did you format the card with the correct format? The one erv said to use a page or2 back...

Edit: What version do you have?

Jonitus
06-04-2007, 06:28 PM
The SD cards shouldn't be messed up. They read fine on my home computer for both boards, so they should work for you.

ti-el_terall
06-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I got the card to work by reformating it. Before, the com. couldnt read it. The saber still doesnt work tho :(

Jonitus
06-04-2007, 06:55 PM
That I can't help with. I never hooked the boards up, as evidenced by the lack of solder on the pads. I'm sure it's just some simple thing to get it running. Maybe try talking to Erv? He's busy right now, but he might know what's up.

Sky_Million
06-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Great videos Erv! I've been planning on buying a Crystal Focus for several months now...but you keep improving and updating! Luckily, I have given myself a very generous deadline to finish my first saber...by the New Year.

Argh...you have stolen my idea of hiding the bargraph behind a mirrored surface! Now I can't feel original! I'm thinking of hiding them behind a tinted surface now...like a piece of sunglass lense.

One thing I've always wondered when watching your videos...what type of button/switch do you use for the aux? I've noticed it's very low profile (flush)...it seems ideal so that you aren't accidentaly triggering blaster deflects and lockups.

Yeah, my first post...been reading here for several months. I've done a lot of electrical work in the aerospace industry, but I think even a novice can learn everything they need from these forums...as long as they're willing to read!

Y'all rock on...

xwingband
06-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Argh...you have stolen my idea of hiding the bargraph behind a mirrored surface! Now I can't feel original! I'm thinking of hiding them behind a tinted surface now...like a piece of sunglass lense.

lol, I had the same talk with Ambo a few days ago. The difference is I know it's not original... just not done very often.

I think Corbin mentioned in his manual or his old site for his PLI. That's many years ago!

Still a very great and logical idea. I'm doing it right now on a saber. :P I'm hiding my PLI with smoked plexi.

Novastar
06-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I got the card to work by reformating it. Before, the com. couldnt read it. The saber still doesnt work tho :(Ti-El, I had similar problems with my saber early on, but what I was doing was building my custom sound set.

Ok... let's get this happenin' for you! I can't STAND the thought that you have a Plecter and cannot get it working:

1. Do you have a way to cut the power *completely*? If not, you probably need to do this, as sometimes I find the board may get "scrambled" and needs a hard reset.

2. Are you CERTAIN you have 21 files on your SD card? I forgot the "hum" sound once, and it was easy to overlook for me.

3. Did you try the default sounds listed on Erv's site? The ones on your drive may be corrupted now, especially with the XP windows hidden file junk.

4. Did you ever try that thing I told you about in PM--about de-selecting the "indexing service" on the files?

Good luck!

ti-el_terall
06-05-2007, 02:17 PM
I have 22 files including config, I have uncheked everyhting. I made sure its the right format and I delete the hidden files I found.

Novastar
06-06-2007, 02:40 AM
ti-el... oops, right 22 including the config file.

Did you try the default sounds then? And re-downloading the files from Erv's site?

Man, I just don't GET it... I mean--I had SOOOO many problems when I was implementing my new sound font, but... geez.

Now it's like a VENDETTA. I *MUST* find out what is wrong with Ti-El's Plecter or I'm gonna bust a coronary!!!! :)

ti-el_terall
06-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Yes, Iv been trying to put the original sound fi;les on for the past few days.

Novastar
06-06-2007, 01:36 PM
and you don't get any light either, right? Just checking...

Steeljack
06-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Hey, Ti-El:

At the risk of opening a whole other can of worms, is there any chance that you can plug the SD card-and-reader combination into a box running a relatively recent flavor of Linux?

Failing that, might you be able to burn a CD of a "live" Linux distribution, like Knoppix, and boot it?

In my experience, Linux tends to be handy for getting to the root of low-level filesystem problems. Its tools offer you fine-grained control for reading and writing filesystems, including the ability to bitwise-snapshot the entire filesystem, and it tends to be good about not scribbling extra housekeeping information into the filesystem behind your back.

Let me know if this is something you'd be interested in taking a crack at, and I'll help if I can.

neophyl
06-06-2007, 02:19 PM
I know you said you reformatted the card but have you double checked that its FAT instead of FAT32 ? Thats the first thing Id check as if its fat32 it wont work.

The other thing is that if your card was so messed up that windows couldnt read it then its likely that the card wont work in the sabre - ever.

I had one that got scrambled badly like that. I reformatted it in windows and it accessed fine and all the files copied across. Unfortunately though when it got damaged originally several memory locations on the card were damaged. For windows or other full operating system this isnt a problem as it marks the areas during the reformat and works around them.
The CF though cant run a full operating system so its accessing the card directly. That means that it still tries to access damaged areas causing the sabre to not do anything. A new card worked though.

Novastar
06-06-2007, 05:57 PM
By the way... while we're trying to help Ti-El...

Here is some more video of a 2nd Plecter v1.2 that I've wired up and installed my custom "dark side" sounds.

Novastar demonstrates v1.2 Crystal Focus
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mmCMZoERsns

This time, I demonstrate with both sabers, trying to show the hilts a bit better, and you can see that the brightness is just GI-normous. :)

I only wish that I had waited for the v2.x ones so that I could get the 1.5A. Not TOO concerned about all the other features, but those sound great too!

Well, come to think of it, I like that he implemented the "sleep" mode to vampire only 6ma instead of 10 to 20ma when the board is... "off". You know... the "fake" off. Not the really REAL "off" like kill switch off thing... :)

heheh

Sky_Million
06-08-2007, 03:50 PM
I think that when I'm in Ti-El's position, I'm going to need to be restrained from bashing my computer, probably with my head or non-functional saber.

Novastar, great video...I swear, that k2 green looks about 95% movie accurate in that video to me. I've been planning on a Lux V cyan LED, but that green is lookin' mighty good right about now!

...and what's in that cooler behind you? Adult refreshments for celebrating your DIY saber accomplishments? Hahahaa!

Sky_Million
06-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Master Erv':

After again watching the iSaber video and seeing the added features for V2.5, I have been thinking...

Would there be any way to add another aux button? I have no idea if your firmware would support this, or if it would be financialy feasable to add. It seems already that the aux button has to control alot, with the saber effects and saber-off menu selections. The addition of the music player seems like there would be alot of "hold for this many seconds", "push this many times", then again "hold for this many seconds" to confirm. Do the hokey-pokey and turn yourself around. Lol...maybe it needs an attachable QWERTY keyboard!

I just thought I would at least try to make A suggestion, even though I'm a forum newb.

Y'all have a great weekend!

ti-el_terall
06-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Yes, It is FAT not FAT32. I really have no idea what is wrong unless the board got fired some how.

erv
06-16-2007, 12:11 PM
oups, it seems that I haven't been auto notified of the many and several answers here.

- second aux button : no. You're right, adding a new button is opening the system to be either a TV remote control or to be controlled by a qwerty keyboard. The "cool" features accessible by the aux button are all fashion stuff or things that should not be hit by accident. Reseting the saber for instance. If you want to reset the saber to choose another soundfont, holding the button for 3 sec + confirm + boot sound time will not go above 6 seconds. Pretty fast for getting into a soundbank selection menu, compared to unscrewing the pommel, getting the SD card out, swapping it or going to the computer to format it and put new files on it. For the other "real time" features such as lockup, blaster, force Fx, there is no delay, the activation is immediate. I'll also add that putting an aux button at the right place on the hilt, so that it's not activated by accident, IS a pain. So... 2 of them, I don't even think about it. So.. even for iSaber... playing music with the saber is cool and funny. Mainly usefull to play music when at the belt or to loop a vader breathing. But you're not listening really to an MP3 player when you're dressed as a jedi in a con. I don't think you spend your time accessing 2'23" of track #28 in subdir "starwars pop music". I suppose that if you want to share music with your friends, having a 1G USB MP3 key + headphones in your pouches or robe will do the job.
(no, I don't plan to add a digital camera to my sound module, héhéhé :lol: )

- ti-el_terall : PM me about the board, or better, email me. Seing your email in you profile, it does not ring a bell to my brain. And I don't remember shipping something to Canada, but that can be my poor memory. Did you buy this one from me directly ? Neophyl is right, a card he had happened to be "flashed" away. I'm not sure, but I think it happened while the card +holder were ripped of from the board. Strange combination of removing the card while powered + static electricity + flying holder + shortcircuits of some kind. Despite the card was reformatted (and read well on the comp.) phyl is right : it does not work anymore on the board cause some parts of the flash memory were damaged.
Let's see the details together. I'm sorry I missed that discussion, I was travelling in the US for 10 days with very little access to internet and really no time to be on forums. If it's the SD card, it's very simple for me to send a new one. And inexpensive.

Now for the news :
- I'm on the way to remove the 32 MB of the SD handling code in the firmware. Currently works with a 64MB I've been given by a customer. I'll by some 128, 512 and 1G to test, so that I can put a LOT of music on it. Removing the limitation was not simple, I've been stuck with that cause the compiler does not pad properly int to long so thing were working fine up to 0xFFFF sectors (32 MB), but not above (for those who program, that was the techy note).
I'm sticking to sell the board with a 32MB card. Cause the saber sounds themselves are like 6.5 MB. If you want more sounds, I'll indicate which card to buy that works for sure, after I'll test some of them. Sandisk cards seem to work fine.

- during my trip in the US, I've been successfull to buy a new set of 200 SD cards. I was worried about that cause the fist lot I got was a damn good deal and I was afraid not to find some cards at that price. I picked them up on the way out, very good deal, no further headaches. I'm ready for about 220 SD card based boards.

- next bulk of CF (2.5) will come with a regular speaker or a deluxe speaker. Thanks to the saber trinity cooperation (thanks Mr Stydur, Ultra, and novastar, my hat to the floor) I (we?) will soon retail them. Minor cost added to the board for the deluxe option. The speaker is the one I'm using for telum infensus. It's actually an even better model. Loud as hell, small (28 mm OD) and very low profile. For those who already have a CF, the speaker will also available for retail.

- I plan several other little addon features for 2.5. More details when it will be there.

Erv'

erv
06-16-2007, 12:15 PM
damn true... however, as a simpler solution for him, since he has windows, I'll suggest he uses winhex, free to use (just some limited features for the non registred shareware version). [BtW, thanks Neophyl]
Erv'

In my experience, Linux tends to be handy for getting to the root of low-level filesystem problems. Its tools offer you fine-grained control for reading and writing filesystems, including the ability to bitwise-snapshot the entire filesystem, and it tends to be good about not scribbling extra housekeeping information into the filesystem behind your back.

erv
06-19-2007, 01:47 AM
I forgot to add : iSaber now has an animated sound level indicator using the 4 blinking LEDs / bargraph. Very nice effect with vader breathing sound played in loop !
I continue to test the 2.5 firmware, I've refined the sound looping scheme, so far it's bug free. I'll buy a bunch of SD cards today and I think some people at work will lend me some so that I can test a wide sample, various brands and capacities.
I've also ordered the next batch of PCBs to be ready at the end of june.

luis rojas
06-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi ERV: So all of these new features will be avaible only when you finish assembling the new board (V2.5) or came withe the actual V2 boards? Thanks

erv
06-19-2007, 01:32 PM
except the 2 missing parts, the new batch of PCBs is exactly the same as the current one (I patch manually the current PCB).
The firmware is just about software in the processor. Since the test of the current firmware is pretty close to the finish line, I'm now asking customers that have pending order of crystal focus to wait a little bit, so that they have the newest version and don't feel frustruated of not having the most recent stuff !

Hasid Lafre
06-20-2007, 06:30 AM
I got an idea if you ever make a moduel that works with a trilux setup maybe an option for an onboard potentometer.

then you go thru the options with the aux button and it works like the picture levels on a tv. starts off in the middel then you adjust thru the red side for the color. then green then blue.

Hold the button for so long to accept the settings.

Kinda like how ultras does for the options.

erv
06-20-2007, 07:47 AM
tri lux is still in the pipe... but choosing the color this way is an horrible HCI... instead, I'll make a program on the computer with a swatch that will give out RGV value to put on the SD. As simple as that.
Ok, enough of "easy criticism", your solution has a real interest so that you can adjust the color of the blade. However, I like presets. Like having the different colors stored in the different soundbank, and you just recall them to change the color :D

Finally got rid of the final problem I had with handling the FAT16 on bigger sized SD cards. Works very fine. I haven't tested with a 1 or 2 Gb, but I'll try to borrow one.
So far it worked with :
- 32 MB sandisk
- 64 MB sandisk
- 512 MB "no brand"
- 512 MB san disk microSD/transflash thru SD adapter

I now have to try with various sort of content on the card, including non desired contents/directory to see the limits.

Here is the current limitation of handling the SD in crystal focus :
- FAT16 : means a max of 4 GB media
- max 32 entries in the root directory (including directories which are nothing more than a special "file"). This include . and .. directory entries and pseudo erased files. This is why updating the sounds requires formatting the card (and to avoid fragmentation as well).
- max 32 entries in a sub directory
- files > 512 bytes must be block aligned. Means no fragmentation at all. Obtained when formatting the card and putting the files on the SD in one run.
- config files < 512 bytes. Allows on-card editing since the file fit in one sector (editing will not generate fragmentation)

The micro SD is a format I looked over at the very beginning of the design of the sound module, 1 year and a half ago. The holder was not easily available at that time, now it exists at a reasonnable price. However, the card itself is still incredibly exensive compared to what I pay for the regular SD cards. I think I'll make a prototype with a microSD to see what's the gain in size. Plus replacing electrolitic capacitor by tantalum to reduce the profile. Will increase the cost a lot.
Please don't think a microSD version will come out "soon". Not until a good and cheap source of those cards is available. CF is expensive enough, I don't see myself asking you guys 13 additionnal buck for "just the card".

Still a few days of patience, and I'll let you know what's inside 2.5. No incredible revelations but a few things some of you might like !
Erv'

xwingband
06-20-2007, 09:49 AM
MicroSD cards are just as cheap here in the states. I was just looking at a 1GB one for $15. I figured I might use it in my phone.

In fact SD cards are drastically cheap here. I'm amazed that three years ago $80 was what it too to at least get 1GB, now that would be like 4GB.

erv
06-20-2007, 10:18 AM
yep that's incredible how low it is now, especially if you don't want the lastest and biggest capacity. I paid my sandisk microSD 11 euros, which is almost exactly $15. Of course it comes with a SD adapter to read/write it using a regular SD card reader.

more on my updates : try to screw/fake/fool the new firmware, not a chance. I even put the file on the card in different orders. Bank1 first, then the audio tracks for the audioplayer, then other banks, then the sounds of the root directory... working like a charm.
Now... a bit of dueling to test the sound triggering !
Erv'

luis rojas
06-20-2007, 10:25 AM
ERV: you leave us :shock: always. Please add that RGB feature to the new board so we can change the color with each soundbank.That will be awesome. If you can make it with three luxeon leds (the tri-lux) then you will have a very special place in all our saberbuilder's hearts. Thanks

Marsupial
06-20-2007, 12:19 PM
I agree with Luis.

On micro-SD. I had to get micro-SD 6 months ago for 50$ for 1gig. Nowaday you can get some for ridiculous ammount! I remember paying 55$ for 1 meg of RAM.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1458
13$USD for 1 gig. You should be able to beat the price locally.

Not that its a huge issue, but some people wants smaller... it would be great for 1.25inch sabers.

erv
06-20-2007, 02:31 PM
one issue is thickness (sickness ? héhé). The microSD solves partially that. However, I don't see how I can make my board smaller in width. The solder pads for wires have to go somewhere... and the insitu programming connector as well. Guess what, I'm already sharing the programming connector with some I/O's like low batt LED, aux button etc. But it has to be there for the first programming. Further programming of the firmware is achieved via another port of the module, also required for diagnosis, monitoring and debug (during development).
Erv'

987654321a
06-20-2007, 02:34 PM
I too think that micro sd cards would work wonders. i have one in my phone one and its damn small!!!!

Novastar
06-20-2007, 08:58 PM
For the record, I can already fit Erv's board in 1.25" diameter sabers... that is how Flange v3 green & red are setup.

The 1.5" tubes in the back houses the batteries, which leave me no choice since they are 18650 cells side by side.

Erv's board is pretty small, all things considered... especially for an essentially "handmade" board. Alex's will be a "machined" run, and so the solders can be more precise and "daring" so to speak.

My guess is--if Erv someday was ABLE to make some fully machined run, the board size would decrease fairly dramatically.

Another part of the size thing is... why make the SD card port "attached" to the board? It could be a separate part attached by cable, and then the user could allow it to be placed wherever they like. Also, would allow the board more room for more features.

neophyl
06-20-2007, 11:04 PM
Any time you connect 2 boards together via wiring you introduce a failiure point. Taking the sd connector off the board would cause more troubles in the long run.

I too have fitted both v1 and v2 in 1.25" sabres. It doesnt need to get smaller really. As for a 'machined' run vs Erv hand soldering them, that wont make much difference to the size at all, the components are already professionally layed out and the boards themselves are already made by a pcb house so theres no difference. What it would make a difference with is construction time. Having the components fitted at time of pcb manufacture would be quicker due to the use of pick and place machines etc. Unfortunately this costs a fair bit in setup fees as well as increases the manufacturing costs.

That would knock the board price up which Im sure we dont want.

erv
06-21-2007, 12:17 AM
phil is "unfortunatly" right. I have still taken some precautions, parts are not as close as they could be in theory, so that I can solder them in a easy way. Reducing size will just lead to 1 or 2 mm max in midth. As you can see on the pic in the user's manual, there is a big square processor in the middle. It exists only on that size for so many I/O's. UltraSound board is 1" wide (2.54 cm) while mine is 2.8 cm and I guess it does not have so many I/Os to export from the board, so the mm he's gain is due to the reduced number... of solder pads... tssssskk... wires... always wires.... About that, phyl is right also about unmouting the SD card holder.
It's just as general as that : "each time you use a wire, you create a weakness. One each side of the wire, plus the wire it self". And if the connected part is moving or manipulated then... it will fail at a moment or another.

Madcow
06-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Well Erv,
I am so sold on your work that I am drawing up a total redesign of my best saber JUST to accomodate your Crystal Focus v. 2.5
I will be working with a 1.25" ID instead of my previous 1" ID limitation.

MC

erv
06-22-2007, 02:44 AM
:shock: due to the fact that I know the HUGE work it represents, let me say that I'm honored of that...
V2 PCB is a bit better than V1 cause I've centered the capacitors on the width, so that you need less free space on the sides of the board (while you have a climax of space in de middle since the hilt is a cylinder). And if the capacitors are an issue, they can be moved, rotated 90° flat, put away from 1 or 2 cm from the board with wires. You might gain 1 or 2 mm of height.
Keep up the good work MC !
Erv'

arcana
06-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Madcow still interested in a custom saber from you! (Joshua in email) In fact I have a Erv board coming my way that will need a new home. =) Hit me back in email if you're still interested in that project.

erv
06-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Hi folks... hammer in one hand I've been bug hunting the whole weekend... v2.5 is stable now. I've been shaking hilts so hard that my daughter and girlfriend thought I have parkinson disease....
So... I can "reveal" the lastest things which are in this version. Some of those functions are part of 2.1 but it was kind of unofficial.

- selectable LED for idle flashing (among the 4 blinking LED of the bargraph). Flashing can be selected by slices of 1/30th sec. 0 : idle flashing off. 1 = brief flash. 29 = always on except during a brief 1/30th sec. Excellent to indicate the saber is on but with the blade off (aka "ready to strike").

- flashing idle LED selectable for each sound bank. Personnally, on my LED bargraph on Telum Infensus, the flashing LED matches the bank number. This way I always know which bank is selected. The selection of the flashing LED is setup in the leds.txt file, in the SD, in each individual sound bank.

- improved and reduced current consumption in idle (6mA instead of 20). You don't have to focus on the safety key, not a problem if you forget to put it back in the saber, it will take a really long time for totally discharging the saber.

- power off protection (of course, optionnal, again, another parameter on the SD card) : very nice for momentary button that are easilly activated by mistake during a duel. To power off the saber, you have to press the button AND confirm with the aux button.

- compliant with bigger SD. Tested with 64 and 512 MB cards. Nice to put music in the saber

- audio player / iSaber : 16 tracks max. Play/stop/skip (no pause). There is now a /tracks sub folder on the SD to store the tracks. They are labeled trackXX.raw.

- audio level bargraph using the 4 blinking LED output. Fancy.... kind of useless but so fun to code. Very nice effect when playing Vader breathing.

- additionnal mode of triggering clash and swing sounds : sounds can be ordered / classed from 1 to 8, and it's the gesture hardness (scaled to {1;8}) that will trigger the sound. Sound playback and contents has never been so natural and so well correlated to gesture, instead of random selection.

- 1.5 A compatible (the K2 is happy now !!)

- 2 additionnal sounds. One is announcing the configuration menu (pressing the aux button at startup). One that says "play audio files" to announce the iSaber feature. Of course, like any sound on the SD, you can record you voice, use a bit of Britney Spears, your dog or even put 100 ms of silence of you don't want any sound.

I'm sorry, it does not make the coffee, I'm on a budget right now, and couldn't afford a Java (beans) Engine.

Future plans : make the little "beeeps" (confirmation, reset etc) as regular audio files (now, they are "synthesied" by the software, and at maximum volume). But too many people are waiting for CF 2.5 right now, so I don't want to touch the code anymore, I had enough of side effects.

Hope you'll like all those, and as usual, I'll be happy to exchange with you guys.
Erv'

Novastar
06-24-2007, 03:43 PM
:shock:

Madcow
06-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Sweet.
I'm ordering 2 right now.
Ravage - one of them is going in your saber.
The other is destined for my Qui-Gon custom.

MC

vortextwist
06-25-2007, 12:11 PM
:shock:

I feel this way evertime I read his post's :shock:

Novastar
06-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Serious though, huh!!!! :)

:!: :!: :!: :shock: :lol:

Ravage179
06-26-2007, 06:52 PM
sweeeeeeeet! buttered toast 2.5 + madcow custom hilt = yum!!! 8)

erv
07-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I've received my parts for assembling my new batch of crystal focus. It took a few days more thant expected cause I discovered that one of the crucial parts of my products has a worldwide shortage (lead time : may 2008). My guess is that it's used in a massively produced MP3 player or phone. I had to find a replacement, which is actually cheaper, but requires another capacitor. Then I had to test and make sure it's working nice. So now I'm back to the soldering iron, and I'm getting some physical training to get those 10,000 solder joints done as fast as possible :lol:

For those attending Celebration Europe : I'll try to bring some units with me, but with the recent events in the UK, I might not be travelling with to much stuff especially with little electronic boards. Hopefully, I don't have a storm trooper costume... "what's this sir ?"... "oh, nothing.... it's a thermal detonator".... :mrgreen:

Erv'

Novastar
07-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Bon chance at CE, monsieur Erv! :)

neophyl
07-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Better bring some Erv as I know a couple of people that want one :)

You will find me either on the Lucas Arts stand or wandering around either as Dooku or Jedi.

erv
07-05-2007, 01:24 AM
I know, I promise I'll try to bring a bunch of them !
Erv'

arcana
07-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Hey Erv just wanted to let you know that I received my board last week! I haven't found anything cool enough to put it in yet, but I'm working on it.

(joshua)

erv
07-11-2007, 02:48 AM
I'm still working on my batch of 24 (out of 60 PCBs) but still no sight of the microcontroller, I'm leaving for CE tomorrow morning, so I'm sorry, but I won't have buttered toast with me :?
(except if I have a special delivery this morning, then I'll try to finish a few boards)
Erv'

I know, I promise I'll try to bring a bunch of them !

Marsupial
07-11-2007, 06:51 AM
good luck on the boards, and have a nice C4.

on veut des photos et vidéos :)

Corbin_Das
07-11-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to my new 2.5 board. I'm having an older Plecter board upgraded a bit and being put in my Jonitus saber (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2719). I'm thinking of doing a dual speaker setup as well (one in the pommel and one in the ribbed section). Perhaps a resonator and small LED to light up on the saber too. We'll see.
For the 2.5 board, I'm still not sure if I'll be able to fit in into my Killer Penny saber (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1597). Mainly it would be a matter of finding room for the speaker I think. If it absolutely won't work, then I'll just have to have another custom saber made up with all the "bells and whistles" on it to properly showcase this board's functions.

Hmmmm...... Taking inspiration from one of Ace's sabers, maybe stainless steel and carbon fiber? :D

Corbin

Novastar
07-12-2007, 12:57 AM
I'm willing to provide you 4 saber sound banks for that saber. Granted, right now they aren't "technically" 16-bit sound plots, but... that's easily remedied.

Corbin_Das
07-12-2007, 12:58 AM
I'll probably take you up on that Novastar. :D

Novastar
07-12-2007, 01:07 AM
No problem. I enjoyed making the sound fonts, and hope that Erv makes them available in a really friendly way for users as he gets more time.

I could see the font links having some "hear me first" buttons on the site so that you could hear the power on / off and a few clashes, etc. first! :)

To repeat, I've created four setups... the Novastar, Blackstar, Steel Sword and Ancient Saber sounds.

I did not include a "Force Action" sound, as I imagine people could have mixed ideas on it... lightning... push... choke/grip... whatever... :)

vortextwist
07-13-2007, 04:24 PM
what is the eta for more v2.5's. I finally got some money for one and he's out. :cry:

Novastar
07-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Vortex... you could always offer for Erv to send you the parts so that you could solder them all on... :)

But seriously, I do recall Erv mentioning that some important part has a sudden backorder until like... bloody 2008 or something. Something.

Anyhow, he's trying to maybe use another part (I think), but it's tough I'm sure for him to handle what will undoubtedly become a lot of volume for one, slightly technical, "newly daddy" French guy.

heheh

vortextwist
07-14-2007, 08:10 PM
yea i remember the backorder thing but just did't know how long it was gonna be. I know he's one man and things get be slow. :D thanks nova

Novastar
07-14-2007, 08:28 PM
No problem... btw everyone, BOP II video is *DONE* now that I worked on it forever.

Problem is, I'm waiting on a few stupid headshots of some of my cast members. :)

erv
07-17-2007, 12:55 AM
yeah, I'm only "one man", not so shizo yet (but I'm working on it). I solve the part shortage before celebration europe actually, and the new parts are already there too... don't focus anymore on this may 2008 back-in-stock date. I'm just expecting the microcontrollers (the missing parts) in a day or two, shipping has been confirmed, I'm just waiting it reaches my mail box.
I'll have some CF stock by the end of the month... july.... 2007 ! :mrgreen:

yea i remember the backorder thing but just did't know how long it was gonna be. I know he's one man and things get be slow. :D thanks nova

erv
07-17-2007, 06:56 AM
some stuff I did in the eurostar train, going to CE, and back from CE : Crystal Focus 2.5 quick reference card (http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/Doc/CrystalFocusV2.5-QuickReference.pdf), in PDF format
I'm sure it's going to be usefull with ALL the parameters that the core as now.

Novastar
07-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Awesome, Erv! So many options, heheheh

Is flickerrandom still there? I seem to recall the flickering having a random ability on v1.2

Hasid Lafre
07-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Flicker is that that effect that makes the blade look like that of the films blade flicker?

bTW

Erv Iam not sure how much talk has been done but whats the chances that your driver can run a tri lux or even a twin lux setup?

erv
07-17-2007, 11:55 AM
yes it is !
Since I've added some more features, I had to rename some parameters.
Flicker is random anyway, and a random value is taken in the range of "flickerdepth". You also have shimmerandom, which is for the clash effect, the duration of the light shimmering, and the randomness of the time/delay between 2 clashes, it adds realism to have a non linear timing here (otherwise it's just blinking in a mechanical way, I hate that).
Erv'

Novastar
07-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Got it. And yes, agreed--if it flickered in a mechanical and predictable way, I think it looks rather stupid.

Hasid Lafre
07-17-2007, 04:17 PM
I love the blade flicker effect one of the effects I wish corbins board had.

Actually I dont knowif it does or not havent wired it up yet.

Novastar
07-17-2007, 04:34 PM
It does not Hasid... although technically, it could be re-programmed for that since it already does PWM and basically "shuts on and off" the light really fast... but so fast that our eyes will never notice.

Corbin's board averages to spit out about 1A, although it vacillates from something like 1200ma to 800ma I think. If you want the *exacts* on that, you'll have to ask Corbinator. :)

But no, at present, Corbin's board will only offer a light flash on clash effect plus the ramping on and off... although it is not as detailed and "analog" as Erv's. But hey--Corb's board is many years old now, and Erv's just came out. It is the way of things...

Hasid Lafre
07-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Yeah. But I can still power a k2 darn near full.

I wonder.....

erv
07-18-2007, 05:21 AM
Got the microcontrollers today, so now I got to hurry up soldering and finishing my batch of 24 crystal focus.
In the meanwhile, I've prepared for you guys two nice videos, I hope you'll enjoy it !

Graflex ANH with crystal chamber (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWKLv0g6-2o)

Telum Infensus saber with audio player bargraph (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fnCxevDHgk)

Erv'

Hasid Lafre
07-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Your a fan of rage agenst the machine?

WOOT

I love the Telum Infensus saber man. thats just sweet. but them buttons look like there hard to press?

Novastar
07-18-2007, 07:02 AM
OHHHHH!

That is SICK!

It's GREAT to hear the sword font I created in there!!! Thanks, Erv... that was sweet!!

I'd love to hear some of the "Ancient Saber" sound font that I made for you also... let me know how that sounds and post a vid when you get a chance.

Holy bantha tracks... that was gnarley. And hey, the wind wisping in the background sounds better than I thought... :)

Hasid Lafre
07-18-2007, 07:11 AM
That is a pritty sick sound font.

erv
07-18-2007, 07:12 AM
The buttons are not hard to press, they are just hard to press as required, to avoid you press them by accident. My hesitation for pressing them in the video is due to the fact I'm looking the LCD at the same time.

Novastar, soon, promise a video of the ancient saber sounds, I forgot this time, just after I put the saber on the table and stopped the video camera. But now I have my own camera (handheld tiny JVC miniDV one, 200$ on ebay) I'll be able to make videos when I want !

(and yes, I'm a bit of a fan of RATM, héhé)
Erv'

Hasid Lafre
07-18-2007, 07:14 AM
YES!. ratm is one of my favy bands.

Novastar
07-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Awesome Erv! Rage is pretty cool, heheheh

Looking forward to more videos of CF v2.5 or 2.x, etc. So many versions, so fast!!! :)

Hasid Lafre
07-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Ya know I dont know how much better the 2.5 could get to reasion for another version.

erv
07-18-2007, 07:43 AM
I'm sorry to tell you that, but I can barely understand what you write... :roll:

Ya know I dont know how much better the 2.5 could get to reasion for another version.

Novastar
07-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Everyone says that about all sorts of products. ;)

The truth is... there are ALWAYS upgrades and ways of making things better... only questions are time, resources, cost involved, and whether it really makes a difference with the product... :)

Jonitus
07-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I wondering what will be next from Erv's imagination. mp3 capability? 32 bit sound?

I thought about something that might be cool. How about being able to add a small VFD to a saber, programmed to readout in Arubesh or English or French or whatever, that corresponds with menu selection and could also serve as the bargraph for power levels or sound levels or whatnot?

There's some mighty small VFDs out there that would maybe work.

neophyl
07-18-2007, 10:45 AM
After getting my sabre upgraded to 2.5 and sticking in a 1gig sd card I like :)

The one tiny thing I would change personally is the 5 second press to get out of music mode. It makes it slow to go into using it as a sabre. Dont know if its possible but maybe monitor the on/off switch and if triggered just start straight up with the last sabre config used as normal ?

Jedi-Loreen
07-18-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm sorry to tell you that, but I can barely understand what you write... :roll:

Don't worry, Erv, we can also barely understand him sometimes. :P

erv
07-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Does it work ? yes ? soo coool ! I've tried only with a 512 MB... I also agree that 5 sec are a bit long. I tried to get my way thru different wishes of customers that would not like to trigger something accidentally. But then, rebooting using the main activation button, or with a combo aux. + activation, that might do the job. I'll experiment that soon (it's true that after a iSaber demo, you want to go back to saber mode at lightspeed and... you wait 5 sec.... and loose a bit of the surprise effect).
Okay, so now we have some more for v2.6 :-)
(forget about the MP3, a CODEC will never fit inside....)
For a screen... I'd love to experiment that... But I hate VFDs despite the effect displayed is cool, and it's not shock resistant. What about OLED ? (the next generation of LCDs)
Erv'

After getting my sabre upgraded to 2.5 and sticking in a 1gig sd card I like :)

The one tiny thing I would change personally is the 5 second press to get out of music mode. It makes it slow to go into using it as a sabre. Dont know if its possible but maybe monitor the on/off switch and if triggered just start straight up with the last sabre config used as normal ?

Novastar
07-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Next on the list =

BUTTERED TOAST w/
SOME YUMMY WINE (Du vin)
SOME YUMMY BREAD (Du pain)
SOME FRENCH CHEESE (Du fromage)
SOUP DU JOUR
CHICKEN w/ HERBS (le poulet avec herb)
ESCARGOT

...and one freakin' sweet piece of kit. 8)

How can it all FIT in a hilt, I ask? heheheheh ;)

goldsaberwarrior
07-20-2007, 08:10 PM
I woule like to see the sith hiss and all the saber ignition sounds on the sound board. :)

Novastar
07-20-2007, 08:22 PM
You should be able to, as Erv and I have worked together to give 4 configurations that are pretty cool--in my thinking.

The Novastar (Yoda-ish) sound font...
The Blackstar (Vader-ish) sound font...
The Steel Sword sound font...
The "Ancient Saber" sound font...

You'll be happy to know--yes I included the sith hiss sounds for the on/off of the "evil" font... and it's actually my own voice with a bunch of effects, echo, and other things laid over it.

The Nova & Black fonts use Ben Burtt sounds, while the Steel and Ancient ones are created pretty much by myself.

goldsaberwarrior
07-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Can you PM me when you guys are done working on the board. I want to check it out when you get done.

Novastar
07-20-2007, 11:07 PM
For the record, I myself am not working on the board, I'm just doing what I can to provide Erv with some interesting and unique sound fonts.

You should periodically check plecterlabs.com for updates.

erv
07-21-2007, 05:25 AM
I'm not sure you got it totally : the board is done and working, firmware version 2.5 is going to stay like that for a while. All the 4 sound banks are changeable and can be replaced on the sound boad by putting news files on a digital camera SD card, provided with the board.
It's just that right now, I'm out of stock, and I'm finishing a batch of 24 crystal focus which should be there by the end of the month. You have some examples of sounds in the different youtube videos I've made :
www.youtube.com/irvinplecter

Have fun ! Contact me thru the website if you have specific questions, or share them here in this very thread !
Cheers,
Erv'

Can you PM me when you guys are done working on the board. I want to check it out when you get done.

vortextwist
07-21-2007, 09:09 AM
24 huh? hope i can get one, or are they all spoken for?

erv
07-24-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm going to make a little video of the different sound fonts we have so far. 24 CF batch is in good shape... did like 2500 or 3000 solder joints this afternoon, almost done. Should be there this WE (I said that already for the previous WE, I know, but with CE and regular work... it's not so easy)

News soon !
Erv'