PDA

View Full Version : What would you like on buttered toast V4.x?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Count Malik
01-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Wow that's quicker than I thoght. I'ma savin.

DACOTA
01-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Thank you for the tutorial erv.

987654321a
02-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Aww man, I have always wanted a CF ever since erv started on here. But I have never had enough money for one.

strengthofrage
02-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Thats good news Erv :)

Aside from the original 'interest' emails when you were looking for an estimate of how many of us were interested, will there be a waiting list? I hear tale of these things selling out mighty fast, I don't want to miss out!

vortextwist
02-03-2008, 08:52 PM
so far it's been first come first serve! So you have to be quick! lol

Hasid Lafre
02-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Yeah I got one for sellin my corbin/mr boards Now wish I had the money to finish off the hilt.

erv
02-07-2008, 08:16 AM
the solution is to subscribe to the product notification on the website. If you are checking your email at least once a day, no reason you should not be able to get one !
Got the pcbs today, I'll start assembling them tomorrow
Erv'

Thats good news Erv :)

Aside from the original 'interest' emails when you were looking for an estimate of how many of us were interested, will there be a waiting list? I hear tale of these things selling out mighty fast, I don't want to miss out!

DarthFender
02-07-2008, 08:59 AM
That's Awesome, Erv!

EDIT: I was just made aware that the Speakers are out of stock both here and at plecterlabs.com. Is that going to hold up the production of the CF? Will the next release of CF be done without the speakers? Just let us know when you got a minute. I would rather not keep you from assembling the boards. Heh heh.

Novastar
02-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Regarding the speakers that both TCSS & Plecterlabs use, well... the speakers should be closer to available sometime in April.

The "official" time they will actually be available from the manufacturer's hands is the end of March... but I doubt they will then instantly get into the hands of TCSS and PL.

This information is totally accurate, as I am also in contact with the "speaker people" about these things.

Regarding CF--you may need to give Erv time to solder on/include one of these speakers if CF became available in March or what not. It will obviously be up to Erv on how he's going to proceed regarding the release of the new batch. If I may be so bold as to imagine... I don't think a speaker is any reason to hold up a release of CF, especially seeing as it is in so much demand from the small community that is Luxeon saber enthusiasts!

So again... think April. If things proceed very well. And no... it is NOT an April Fool's Day joke! :)

Hasid Lafre
02-07-2008, 01:56 PM
I like the speakers that come with the CF(atleast the ones that came with my 2.6 and my bros 3.0, nto sure if the rest are the same) mainly cause its in a sorta protective case.

erv
02-12-2008, 10:10 AM
hi folks,
some real time news. Currently pre tinning all the boards, I started a couple of hours ago. This CF batch will be a GOLD EDITION. No kidding, the PCBs are... gold plated, like computers PCI boards.
I've also added to this batch a little silk screen (white serigraphy layer) that now indicated the activation button, ground, luxeon + & - etc.
First attempt to hot air soldering... is a success. Stressing operation, but it does work. Excellent investment : cheap station, but comes with a replacement heating element, just in case it breaks after some heaby use. The motion sensor deals very well with the heat and capilarity of the soldering paste is correct despite I got it in china.

As nova mentionned, speakers are delayed. I'll propose 2 options, if the boards are ready and tested before the speaker are there :
- people buy but accept that shipment is delayed until I get the speakers. Customer might have this time to solder the speaker themselves (wire provided)
- I send the board asap without the speaker. A little additionnal cost will be added to the price of the board to cover further shipment of the speaker. It will be the exact cost of what it costs me, enveloppe included. In regular mail , it will like 1 or 2 bucks.

I don't want to sell the board without the speaker, simply because I've thought from the beginning that I just can't sell an audio device with the amp but without the speaker. Second because it's a DAMN good speaker, and I'll be really unhappy to get customer fetching for other speakers and end up with an uggly sound. That would really suck for a $150 board. We know that this is a great speaker, so let's "drive" the customer in the right direction.

Erv'

vortextwist
02-12-2008, 10:14 AM
as hand writhe together evilly "Excelent"

Jonitus
02-12-2008, 10:35 AM
as hand writhe together evilly "Excelent"

Seconded. In addition, I am gently stroking my goatee with a glint in my eye.

Jay-gon Jinn
02-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Wow, a Gold Edition! I may have to see about getting one of these...

Darth_DevilGuy
02-12-2008, 11:43 AM
I think I might be falling farther, originally 160 bucks was just too much to spend, now I find myself thinking, well I could by that and then wait to buy saber parts...

vortextwist
02-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I think I might be falling farther, originally 160 bucks was just too much to spend, now I find myself thinking, well I could by that and then wait to buy saber parts...
I've done that before. lol

strengthofrage
02-12-2008, 01:20 PM
MWUAHAhHHahhahahAHHAHAhahahaA!

...er, sorry.

I am also stroking my facial hair with a devious grin.

Thanks for the update Erv, I am very excited! I am happy that you are offering to let us purchase them and then wait until you have the speakers in stock and hooked up before you ship them. I want the full CF experience lol!

Moordak
02-12-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm in the same boat as DDG except now I'm thinking buying two of them doesn't sound like such a bad idea if I can get them.

Jonitus
02-12-2008, 04:00 PM
You have to buy these things when you can get them. If it means holding off on buying parts for the body of the saber, so be it. Better to know you have a sound board rather than have a saber with no noise-making capability. I'll definitely be picking a few of them up when they hit shelves. Whether I have finished sabers for them to go in or not...remains to be seen, but I WILL HAVE BOARDS!

[striking pose like Dr. Evil with pinky finger against corner of mouth]

DACOTA
02-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Can Erv be any cooler? Wait! here comes gold cf's.

Man Erv your awsome, you too Strydur.
I just cant wait to get a cf. The waiting just erks me.

Count Malik
02-12-2008, 07:04 PM
I totaly have to get one mabe two. Sorry ultra sound your good but your no comparison to CF even better Gold CF. Thank you Erv!!! This is real treat!

erv
02-13-2008, 12:54 AM
BOARDS ?
you mean... B.O.A.R.D.S ?
(one cafeine sweet for the one that finds a NICE + DUMB acronym to this new secret weapon/plan of dr evil)

so sorry jonitus, can't help it, I'm a big fan of austin powers. Plus it keeps people waiting while I'm soldering :rolleyes:

Whether I have finished sabers for them to go in or not...remains to be seen, but I WILL HAVE BOARDS!

[striking pose like Dr. Evil with pinky finger against corner of mouth]

Jonitus
02-13-2008, 08:34 AM
B.O.A.R.D.S. Basis Of A Revolutionary Damn Saber

erv
02-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Bordel à cul de pompe à merde** ! not the first time he wins a contest. First time was when he proposed a name for Crystal Focus Saber Core. His proposal was mixed with 2 others to get the final name. Sorry Jonitus, this time, no billion $$$ price, just ONE caffeine sweet

** we are sorry to keep you waiting for this CF batch. It's being processed. In the meanwhile, you can try to translated this horrible french expression (google won't be a real help). Thanks for you patience.

Darth_DevilGuy
02-13-2008, 11:09 AM
as far as I can tell it includes generics for whorehouse, and excrement, so yeah I'm grossed out and I can't even tell what it means.

erv
02-13-2008, 11:44 AM
close match... actually means "messy ass of **** pump". Fun part, you can put the words in the order you want, it still gives funny results. Excuse my french ! It's an expression used mainly in the south of France, in a really small county. Despite it sounds really vulgar, it's underlines a certain exclamation of surprise. I supposed that the perfect student I am (increasing his post count in a really vicious way) should have said to Jonitus : "OMG, you won again".

End of the french slang lesson for today : dinner time !
(and now for something completely different, here is our culinar program)

Erv'

Jonitus
02-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Let me express my surprise at winning AGAIN:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/sixmilliondollarman/Funny_Pictures_Animated_Funny_Baby.gif

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/sixmilliondollarman/Funny_Pictures_Animated_Dancing_Cat.gif

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/sixmilliondollarman/Funny_Pictures_Animated_Dancing_Ban.gif

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/sixmilliondollarman/Funny_Pictures_Animated_Antigravity.gif

erv
02-13-2008, 02:35 PM
I suspect in a very strange way that people are increasing their post count... still have a doubt though.
excellent pics !

sekrogue1985
02-13-2008, 03:42 PM
i just need this board and then my saber will be complete minus the work i hope do-clo will do for me. hehehe THat and i'm rushing to have my 2 new soundfonts completed by then. My vocal KIddy saber and woopy cooshin saber sadly i can't spell that so i always call it a fart saber.

DACOTA
02-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Oh man, cat+anigravity= Cantigravity.

Count Malik
02-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Funny pics. want to make my own sound faunt... Well try. Lol!

DarthFender
02-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Funny pics. want to make my own sound faunt... Well try. Lol!

Yup I tries that once. I recorded all my own sounds.

Sadly, I can never use that microphone again.:cool:

EDIT: Why not make you all laugh whil I increase my post count.

Marsupial
02-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Bordel à cul de pompe à merde**

In the meanwhile, you can try to translated this horrible french expression (google won't be a real help). Thanks for you patience.

Ok, moi ca compterais pas, on dit sensiblement la même chose ici mais avec un accent différent :P Remarques, l'expression locale qui corresponderait le mieux pour nous serait probablement un mot décrivant un objet se trouvant dans une église.

In my long French/English experience, I've realized that all swear words won't translate in literal word-to-word translation to English. therefore, you put a lot of S-word and F-word together to get the same effect.
French is so much superior to English in its swear word embellishment forms... lol.

Malaki Skywalker
02-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Ok... :lol:

"me Ca would not count, one says the same thing appreciably here but with a different accent:P Remarques, the local expression which corresponderait best for us would be probably a word describing an object being in a church."

Jonitus
02-14-2008, 01:46 PM
In an effort to boost my post count and further derail the topic:

I find that Russian is a very fine language in which to swear. The words are so descriptive and offensive.

muxha, edyi zhopoo, kyzhol, yeboyna matz, hui

Very fun. Where swearing in French is like wiping your ass with silk, swearing in Russian is like wiping your ass with that cheap communist purple toilet paper.

Darth_DevilGuy
02-14-2008, 02:51 PM
I like swearing at people in german, very direct and they can kinda tell what you mean, but they can't quite put their finger on it, some samples

du verdammter Arschficker

Sie können mich mal

Sie, mein Freund, sind ein Arschloch.

Moordak
02-14-2008, 03:13 PM
I've seen some good derails before, but never one that went into swearing in foreign languages.

Hasid Lafre
02-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I like to curse in gibberish which sounds like Ive been told Iam speaking in what sounds like backwards russian. but I dont know a lot of russian.

Darth_DevilGuy
02-14-2008, 05:31 PM
I think I know what we have to do now... Profanity saber sound set!

erv
02-17-2008, 04:13 AM
already have too much sound font to review, but this one sounds like a good idea ! nova has already digged a bit the subject with the duke nuhem chainsaw font :mrgreen:

Some more news : Almost done with soldering, after 4 days of intensive work. Still have to assemble the microcontroller and the audio device. Then wires, programming each board and formatting / copyin 60 SD cards (_that_ takes a hell of time).
Think I'll be ready for the end of the month. I just hope the speaker won't be too late.

Marsu : ton intervention linguistique me fait soudain imaginer ce que pourrait donner une version moins "clean" de SW.
Vader : "je suis ton père ! ..."
Luke : "oué, t'va voére, j'va t'krisser avec mon Kalis' de weapon à lumière, là"

(précision : je ne me moque pas du québec, que j'adorerais visiter à nouveau, j'ai juste été traumatisé par un film en version québéquoise qui s'appelle "mon gros con d'mari")

sekrogue1985
02-17-2008, 02:41 PM
honestly speaker or no speaker i'd order it anyway. lol

Malaki Skywalker
02-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Its a pain about the speakers but like sekrogue said speaker or no speaker i'd order it anyway :D

erv
02-19-2008, 04:55 AM
ok, here is the deal. I'm going to put that clearly on the homepage of the website :
- I have a delay to end of march for the SD card holders. I have a certain number of them, but some are missing to complete the batch
- the speakers are delayed also to end of march.

I'm almost done with the boards, so I'll be able to test 2/3rd of them and open the sales by the end of february. But then shipping will start ONLY when the speakers will be there. All boards will hopefully be shipped mi april.

So... that won't be a real pre-order, since most of boards will have been tested with the few speakers I have left, but it will be more like a delayed shipping.
Hope it's fine for most of you guys.
Erv'

savyas
02-19-2008, 07:15 AM
that works for me.. I've already put one in my shopping cart ;)

Are you going to limit the number of cards any 1 person can buy to ensure a fair distribution?

erv
02-19-2008, 07:28 AM
huuu... no, don't think so. They are not really "rare", it's just that this times, I've "lost" 2-3 months considering the manufacturing by a compagny, otherwise they would already be there.
However, if I suspect someone to order 15 just to then resell them on ebay to make money during the "shortage", I'll investigate and might cancel the order.

Erv'

sekrogue1985
02-19-2008, 07:43 AM
huuu... no, don't think so. They are not really "rare", it's just that this times, I've "lost" 2-3 months considering the manufacturing by a compagny, otherwise they would already be there.
However, if I suspect someone to order 15 just to then resell them on ebay to make money during the "shortage", I'll investigate and might cancel the order.

Erv'

yeah that's would not be fair at all not one bit. I've seen a few sabers that didn't look that good and sold at holy crapping prices on ebay. kinda sad really but yeah. I need to get mine repaired cause "**** happens" lol anywho. can't wait

Darth_DevilGuy
02-19-2008, 09:58 AM
yeah I saw a CF by itself go for nearly 300, granted the guy was selling it to raise money for medical bills, but the price they've gone up to is kinda nuts.

Lord Maul
02-19-2008, 10:03 AM
One sold on FX Sabers for $350, another sold on eBay for $346 or something like that. That's nearly a two hundred dollar profit for those keeping track at home :shock:

Then there was the Ultrasound that sold for around $250 on eBay, and I sold mine (upgrading to a CF) for $200.

vortextwist
02-19-2008, 01:32 PM
so when are you putting them up for sale erv? maybe I missed that. lol

erv
02-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I'll put them for sale... when they are ready... I have 35 with all the parts on, the power supply wires are missing, the chip isn't programmed and the SD is not loaded with sounds. Still some works, but I'm close. My target was March, I think it's going to work

Again, vortex, if you have subscribed to the newsletter and/or product notification on the website, you'll be informed when they are there the second I start the whole thing... :rolleyes:
For sure, I'll post here too.

Erv'

vortextwist
02-19-2008, 05:43 PM
yes I am subscribed to the newsletter. I just thought I missed something somewhere. :) lol
thanks again erv.

Novastar
02-20-2008, 03:06 PM
If I were you, Erv... I'd make a hard limit on how many boards may be bought by a single user. Something like 2 or 3.

That doesn't prohibit "bulk buys", but they would simply need to contact you directly and set it up.

Otherwise... you have to be careful so that you don't end up really giving the "business" to another individual who can then set a new "standard" for the RE-selling of such CF boards. They might "require" that a complete saber is bought... they might increase the price... they might try to downplay your involvement (such as only a tiny blurb or sentence that you made the board), and essentially make them look awesome without much credit to you. Additionally... if problems occur... that person may not offer the service that you would, support-wise. And even if that customer came to YOU... would you be so happy if you were (essentially) having to troubleshoot the wiring of another seller of CF, or a saber built by another, etc.?

Anyhow. This is more of an extreme case, but... good to think about! Bottom line?

* I'd make a hard limit on how many boards may be bought by a single user.

Barmic Rin
02-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Well Erv,

Just remember the most important thing:

SAVE ONE FOR THE BIRTHDAY BOY!!!!!!!!!

You said they should be ready in march, & since my B.day's the 1st, I reckon you holding one for me would be a great present!

If that excuse for me getting my grubby mitts on one isn't enough, then think of all free advertising I did for you with my CF v1.2 at CE! *:.P

(I think i'm on the newsletter!)

sekrogue1985
02-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Well Erv,

Just remember the most important thing:

SAVE ONE FOR THE BIRTHDAY BOY!!!!!!!!!

You said they should be ready in march, & since my B.day's the 1st, I reckon you holding one for me would be a great present!

If that excuse for me getting my grubby mitts on one isn't enough, then think of all free advertising I did for you with my CF v1.2 at CE! *:.P

(I think i'm on the newsletter!)

if birthdays took priorty ya know anyone who wants the board and has a b day in march would want one reserved. THat would include me but since that is not an option i'll wait and hope i get one in time. Speaker or no speaker i got plenty of them.

strengthofrage
02-20-2008, 06:46 PM
I agree with Nova, it is sensible to be cautious... especially after seeing the ebay mark ups that happened recently. It is a shame for you to work so hard on them and then see someone make double what you charge when all they had to do was throw them up on ebay.

sekrogue1985
02-20-2008, 06:54 PM
I agree with Nova, it is sensible to be cautious... especially after seeing the ebay mark ups that happened recently. It is a shame for you to work so hard on them and then see someone make double what you charge when all they had to do was throw them up on ebay.

in my mind if you take the time to build a saber, then wait a long time or just get lucky, and finally make the effort and shell out the cash for everything to build a saber. AKA this board and what not and it's rarity...one should hold on to it like it was a new born. I have just one, I want and wish to get another but i know some guys out there that miss the chance to get them so i'm holding off, though i have to get this one repaired because well "**** happens". friend nailed the hilt the saber fell out of my hand and the mounted SD card broke off the board. Luckly erv said it should be repairable. anywho...life is such

Barmic Rin
02-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Sek man, I'm kidding!

THose that have been on here awhile know my sense of humor! (Though I did do alot of advertising for Erv's boards & Tims MHS at CE! :.P)

I love Erv's board, I just wish I had the time & money to do one for each of my sabers!

Lighten up! :.P

Hasid Lafre
02-24-2008, 10:42 AM
I remember seeing a graflex on ebay that ionsabers was selling. and he was including in the price the free info that erv provides for controlling the CF.

Darth Morbius
02-24-2008, 11:09 AM
In defense of myself...

I started the bidding on MY CF 3.0 @ $200 (And I included a battery pack, speaker, switches, MHS Speaker mount, recharge port, Kill key, and TWO fresh sets of LI-Ion batteries to the buyer.

It is NOT a fault of mine that the board got involved in a bid war...

IF people are willing to pay that much, then so be it. And to anyone that thinks I was doing it for pure profit, think what you will.

I have to live, I have children to feed, and bills to pay. Basically, at that point I had the choice of having a cool sound board, or making ends meet for the month.

Guess what I chose.

It really pisses me off when people start badgering about things like this when they do not even understand the reasoning behind the sale in the first place.

strengthofrage
02-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Morbius,

I wasn't aware of your situation at all, I was just speaking generally. I hope my post didn't offend you, if it did I apologize.

Barmic Rin
02-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Morbius, you have a legit reason for selling.

It's those that buy several just to sell on that you meant, right strength?

I can't stand people that do that.
Anything I sell on Ebay will be for the cash & much needed space, & it's from my collection, I haven't just bought it in bulk to cash in. I picked it up over the years & it's time to give it up as there's bills to pay as well as having room in my attic!

Hasid Lafre
02-25-2008, 01:49 PM
I think what the whole thing was getting at was people buy a bunch of them just to sell them for rediclious numbers.

DT Where as you only sold 1 with other things with it. If you were selling maybe 15 boards then you would fall into the group of people that we are talking about.

Barmic Rin
02-25-2008, 01:53 PM
As I said, it was a legitimate reason for him selling it, he wasn't cashing in on the current draught of soundboards.

Therefore, no problem!

strengthofrage
02-25-2008, 04:37 PM
"It's those that buy several just to sell on that you meant, right strength?"

Aye Barmic, that was what I was talking about. Nothing aimed at anyone, just thinking as a collector and of how many times I have seen things hoarded, sat on and then resold on ebay when demand is high and supply is low. I collect action figures among other things and that sort of thing was common enough to cause an ulcer :)

Darth Morbius
02-25-2008, 05:24 PM
I must apologize for my outburst on the matter.

It was a misinterpretation of the post at hand. However, I have had a couple of people elsewhere jump down my throat about it. So you could say I automatically went on the defensive.

No apologies are needed guys. Sorry about the mess. ;)

Barmic Rin
02-27-2008, 01:31 PM
We stick up for our own on here dude, i've seen how bitchy other boards can be (FSM anybody?)

Ghostbat
02-28-2008, 10:02 AM
We stick up for our own on here dude, i've seen how bitchy other boards can be (FSM anybody?)

Truly! We may get a little testy here at times but we are a well behaved lot.

Malaki Skywalker
03-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Is it possible to have like a blue tooth device or something so one board could talk to another board? so say like a saber staff, you want the same sounds coming out from both boards, like a swing for a maul saber, so instead of getting different sounds either side have the same from the both of them.

But still be able to have one side flicker on clash, lock up and blaster deflection instead of both of them doing it, possible?

erv
03-01-2008, 09:05 AM
you can do something like that using OmniSabers, a wireless saber system I designed 2 years ago. It's based on crystal focus with a digital wireless transciever and then sound is generated by a computer. Very easy to make a software that handles the sound in a specific way, with priorities to a certain saber etc.
I've used omnisabers in a concert hall, with a professionnal sound system, I can tell you that when you power up the saber... your back is shivering !

Erv'

Malaki Skywalker
03-01-2008, 11:43 AM
you can do something like that using OmniSabers, a wireless saber system I designed 2 years ago. It's based on crystal focus with a digital wireless transciever and then sound is generated by a computer. Very easy to make a software that handles the sound in a specific way, with priorities to a certain saber etc.
I've used omnisabers in a concert hall, with a professionnal sound system, I can tell you that when you power up the saber... your back is shivering !

Erv'

I've seen it in your shop, but is it a custom order?

erv
03-01-2008, 12:22 PM
yep, I kept this as a custom order since the digital transceivers are really expensive, and they evolve from time to time, so I don't want to store obsolete technology, I build them with the current version of the transceivers.

Novastar
03-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Oh! That's good to know... I was actually considering trying one out at some point...

Whether or not this kind of thing will ever become useful for a BOP-ish kind of production is beyond me... but... it DOES seem that pre-mixing the sounds as a more "symphony" and to work with music, dialogue, etc. seems to be a better solution.

Granted, for an on-going event where you are up there on stage demo-ing products or just plain fooling around... now THAT would be incredible.

Personally, I think Omni-sabers would be a GREAT way to demo CF to a whole crowd of people. That and a dueling partner, and a few mics to speak into for the demo folks to say stuff... :)

erv
03-06-2008, 05:14 AM
hi folks,
it's getting closer and closer, and with an original text idea of Novastar,
I made that little thing this morning :mrgreen:
Enjoy (click on the bottom link to get a hires pic)
http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/Fun/TheLordOfTheBoardsWEB.jpg
High resolution version (http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/Fun/TheLordOfTheBoards.jpg)

Erv'

PS : oups, I've just noticed I've forgotten to erase a part of the original picture text, nevermind

Sethski
03-06-2008, 06:40 AM
"...in the land of Plecterlabs, where the Buttered Toast lies."

Splondeed, sir, I like it ;)

erv
03-06-2008, 06:50 AM
the text is from novastar !

xwingband
03-06-2008, 07:34 AM
I like that it's Strydur too... hehe.

Jeescook
03-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Hey Erv according to past experience how long should your next batch of crystal focuses last? I want to get one but i just need that last bit of money. Im still in school so moneys hard to come by:cool:

xwingband
03-06-2008, 09:16 AM
48 hours if you're lucky. If you really want one, you should be ready in the first 24 hours. They go fast.

Sethski
03-06-2008, 12:52 PM
the text is from novastar !

Excellent! - I didn't really take in what you'd written above the pic. Pundits to you too, Novastar, your combined efforts have got me chuckling like a gibbon.

...and I don't think I would have noticed the Strydur connection if you hadn't pointed it out, X-Wing...

Malaki Skywalker
03-06-2008, 01:05 PM
I hope i get my cash in the bank soon enough to get some toast, after this batch goes whats next?

DACOTA
03-06-2008, 03:58 PM
:mrgreen::lol: That pic is freaking hilarious!

Thats Strydur? Interesting.:cool:

37H4N
03-06-2008, 05:44 PM

Not our Strydur. That was Aragorn's title or something I think.

Great pic BTW Erv!:)

Novastar
03-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Excellent! - I didn't really take in what you'd written above the pic. Pundits to you too, Novastar, your combined efforts have got me chuckling like a gibbon.

...and I don't think I would have noticed the Strydur connection if you hadn't pointed it out, X-Wing...Wait until you hear the vocal sound recording I gave to Erv... :)

Erv, you should post a link to that, hahahah

xwingband
03-06-2008, 05:56 PM

Yeah, it's just the character "Strydur". That's what Aragorn called himself to not draw attention as the "Heir to Gondor".

BlackDOG
03-07-2008, 12:23 AM
The first tiume I came around I thought of two things when I saw Tim's username.....

Stryder-From LOTR

and a game for Nintendo from about 1989 or 90 called "Stryder"

The pic rocks Erv!

Here's one for ya.......We aren't excited are we?
The calendar is my wife's...PRETTY HUH?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Birdlaw/Sabers/DSC09048.jpg

BD

Count Malik
03-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Lol! Ha! Ha! funny pic. Just hope I'll be able to get one.

erv
03-08-2008, 04:52 AM
excellent pic, I'm saving this one !!!
the last batch lasted 2 days 8-)
Erv'

Sethski
03-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, you may start your engines!

CFs now on sale in the Plecter Labs shop!! 8) Hehehe...

erv
03-08-2008, 07:32 AM
confirmed ! 49 and counting down...

if you HAVE a pre-filled cart,
PLEASE make sure that you remove the crystal focus first and re put it in again, just in case you bought the "old version" for which the shipping options were not the same.
CF boards bought without any options will be sent when the speakers are there (end of april)

Erv'

vortextwist
03-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Damn! And i'm so out of money. :(

DarthFender
03-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Woohoo! And they''re off! Darth Fender Takes the early lead.

strengthofrage
03-08-2008, 08:41 AM
WoOt! Thanks Erv, I just placed my order, can't wait 'tillApril :)

Sethski
03-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Damn! And i'm so out of money. :(

Sadly me too this time round, it's a bit gutting isn't it? :( Still, I'm sure there'll be some more later in the year...

Malaki Skywalker
03-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Dam it... can't get my money in the bank quick enough, maybe next time round. :(

erv
03-08-2008, 10:31 AM
folks,
I think something went wrong on the web site and it allowed people to buy more than my stock.
I'll refund the latest customers asap. The batch is already gone :shock:

Malaki Skywalker
03-08-2008, 10:34 AM
folks,
I think something went wrong on the web site and it allowed people to buy more than my stock.
I'll refund the latest customers asap. The batch is already gone :shock:

WTF!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bet your dancing now Erv :D lol

Congrats

Sethski
03-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!! :shock: I thought they'd go quick, but that's mental!

Jedi_Templar
03-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Erv,
Do you have a time stamp as to what time the last one was purchased? Glad to hear I was able to get my two as soon as they were available, but it is a shame for those people who thought they had one and were out of luck.

Maybe he will be willing to place those people who were sold one with out stock on a list for the next batch so they can get first dibs.

Congratulations on selling out so fast, you have a great product.

Cheers!

strengthofrage
03-08-2008, 11:38 AM
I would definitely be interested to know as soon as possible if I was one that actually got one or one that ordered a 'phantom' CF...

erv
03-08-2008, 11:49 AM
I unfortunatly don't have any timestamp, the stock count stopped working that's all... people continued to place order with a stock stuck at 44.
I suspect someone placed a fake order while someone was ordering too. I have a bunch of ******* that continue year after year to go to paypal then no finishing the order and I get ghost orders.
I supposed that this time, coupled with the heavy heavy monster set of orders in a short time, something went wrong.

PLEASE don't send me email like "is my order is ok ?"
I'll post here and contact individual customers,
thanks,
Erv'

grayven
03-08-2008, 12:13 PM
I hope I didn't cause any of this. I was at the submit order page when the wife caught me. We got into a little of the old marriage back and fourth before she won out, and I had to back out of making the final part of the order process. I did not hit the submit order button though just every thing up to that. I hope me doing that did not caused any of your issues, If so I'm truly sorry.

I have one of the CFv3 boards from Nov. and was hopping to get another. I just wasn't fast enough to slide it in under her radar this morning. I now how fast they go and my window of opportunity was even shorter with her being around the house.

Grayven

erv
03-08-2008, 12:20 PM
don't appologize, you probably did not cause that and at the end, it's just being disapointed... ok... after STRONGLY believing you're in.

I'm very sorry for those who couldn't get a board. I built 60, which was a hard and long job and I'm the first surprised to see how fast they went away. Last time it took about 3 days for 60 so I was not "worried". Spread over several days, everyone has a chance.
Here... first order at 3:11 PM last one at 5:01 PM... less than 2 hours :o

okay : for a clear ANSWER to those who are awaiting to know if they're in or out
LAST order accepted is #528. Numbers above will be refunded in the next hour.

Please note that I've chosen to open the sales on a saturday at 3PM local time so that it's "compatible" with europe and USA time and I tried to be as fair as possible.

Erv'

vortextwist
03-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Just be thankfull they sell as good as they do. I'm glad you can do these kind of numbers for us Erv, I just hope you don't get tired out from this.
When is the next batch;) just kidding, take a break:)

Count Malik
03-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Noooooooooooooo!, sithspit!,:mad: thats... I'm lost at words agian. Lol!:-o looks like its the next time around.:D

killphil
03-08-2008, 12:38 PM
NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I had projects pending and now they are all gone! This cant be happening!

erv
03-08-2008, 01:46 PM
okay, advice taken from a moderator on fxsabers forums :
For this batch, I could not imagine it will go so fast, and I'm aware many of you are not living in the same time zone than me.

Next time : I will announce a few days ago with the newsletters / forums WHEN exactly the sale will start so that you won't waste your time watching tv + checking email / web all night.

granted, I wish to improve myself, despite I'm doing everything by hand !
cheers,
Erv'

savyas
03-08-2008, 02:02 PM
I think this has been asked before, but I'll ask it again anyway... would you consider taking pre-orders with pre-payment? I'd be willing to pay now to ensure just 1 of the next batch.

To account for exchange rates and price changes of the components, I'd even be willing to pay the difference (if there was one) at the time of delivery.

vortextwist
03-08-2008, 02:30 PM
I think pre sales would just open another whole can of worms. People are acting like these are a cure for cancer or something, they are just soundboards and god willing erv will make more.

savyas
03-08-2008, 03:08 PM
I think pre sales would just open another whole can of worms. People are acting like these are a cure for cancer or something, they are just soundboards and god willing erv will make more.

Spoken like someone who's already been cured ;)

I'm not complaining, I think it's fantastic that CF sound boards are as well respected and desired as they are. Sure I want one, but I can wait and make due with MR boards in the meantime. However, after reading today's posts of those who are complaining, I merely wanted to propose a different (if already visited) option.

BlackDOG
03-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I will announce a few days ago with the newsletters / forums WHEN exactly the sale will start so that you won't waste your time watching tv + checking email / web all night.

Were you watching me or something......LOL...I checked late last night, early this morning then did something eles for a while.......

Erv, thanks for working so hard to please this group. I'll get mine next time around.

BD

Novastar
03-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Whoa! CF sold so quickly!!!!

Like I... should be SURPRISED??? :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L0cWMLMyOr8

strengthofrage
03-09-2008, 05:47 AM
Aye, grats Erv, thats what should happen I think... great product = great sales :)

Thanks for dealing with the ravenous masses!

erv
03-09-2008, 08:12 AM
using my time to ship as fast as I can cause the week is going to be busy at work.
A few thing : you'll get a little note with the CF boards. I made a mistake in the white silk screen marking on the board for the 6 pad wiring connector.
Aux button and low batt are mis labeled and swapped. Wiring remains the same as for previous CF and user's manual + quick ref card is correct, it's just the labelling, make sure you remember that.

also, the new default archive of sounds + menu etc is online, referenced as version 3.1 despite nothing changes in the firmware. Enjoy my new vocal menu, vocals themselves by NOVASTAR and background ambiance by me.

You can of course use this new package on the previous 3.0 and also on the 2.63 if you put the right configuration files.

Erv'

erv
03-12-2008, 02:15 AM
an additionnal thing for users / customers who had problems with the CF and SD card like you do everything fine for uploading the SD contents but when you insert it back you get beeps.
If the CF is brand new, I found that on SOME boards the SD holder is too new... you have to get the contacts "used" a bit. Insert / remove several times the SD, then insert it again and power the board.
I got several boards like that, got rid of the problem in 10 seconds, and... relief... it's not the firmware, it's just mechanical !

Hasid Lafre
03-12-2008, 02:19 AM
Sweet so I should hopefully beabel to use that new files for my 2.6, I beleave its a 2.63 model.

I must remember to look at my board when I get to my bros today.

Hasid Lafre
03-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Hay erv my CF says its a version 2.5 June of 07 But my brother says it is a 2.6X, But going my the month stamp on the board will that tell me if its a 2.61 or 2.63?

Madcow
03-14-2008, 05:11 PM
A quick way to tell is to look at the contents of the SD card.

A 2.5 will only have 4 sound banks.

A 2.61 will have 6 banks, but no file called menubgnd.raw

A 2.63 will have 6 banks and also a menubgnd.raw file

MC

Novastar
03-15-2008, 02:01 AM
Exactly right.

Further, the latest versions of CF (v3, v2.63) should have 25 files in any given sound folder (Bank1, bank2), and 16 in the root directory.

This includes the folders in the root directory (6 banks + 1 tracks = 7... + 9 sounds).

If you do not have 6 banks, obviously you won't have as many files. If you do not have the menubackground sound, you will also have at LEAST one less file in the root directory.

erv
03-15-2008, 02:12 AM
wouldn't have been clearer, it's exactly that !
thanks MC !

now, hasid, I have to appologize for the numbering of the boards. What you see on the PCB is the PCB revision and sometimes, I bought like 100 boards but got the firmware (software) evolve by customer request, personnal ideas or bug fixing.
I think that 2.5, 2.61 and 2.63 have the same PCB revision number. For V3, it's easier, since the motion sensor is a tiny *black* square (and not silver).
For V4, the card will be a microSD,
but in any case, I'll try to display accurate number of version on the PCB.

Novastar
03-15-2008, 02:19 AM
Something small that MIGHT help somewhat, Erv...

...just add "vX.YY" or whatever to each given config.txt file when shipping... although I realize that COULD be a pain in the butt at first when getting ready to program the boards w/ fonts.

However, I always find the following helpful in the first line:

//Config file bank1 ANCIENT (v2.61)

...or something akin to that. :)

erv
03-15-2008, 03:03 AM
I actually came with the idea 5 minutes ago with a revision.txt file in the root directory of the package...
we are on the same wavelength my friend, you're just too fast poster !! :D
thanks again for being full of "bon sens" !

Hasid Lafre
03-15-2008, 04:54 AM
So then I do have a possability that it is a 2.61? cause my brother bought his V3 4 months apart and thats when the 2.6 was comming out.

At least thats what I got out of that conversation wiht him. lol.

vortextwist
03-15-2008, 06:15 AM
no, I checked my account when I bought it and it says 2.5. Does it really matter, I almost gave it to ya for free 8) lol

Hasid Lafre
03-15-2008, 07:13 AM
It was 80 so I guess that could be considered free. :P

But I just want to make 100 and 10 Percent sure what one iam am working with ya know.

vortextwist
03-15-2008, 10:21 AM
ya I know.8) back on topic

Hasid Lafre
03-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Well sence theres a V4 topic I feel this one is open for any CF discussion.

Hows that? a General CF discussion topic? A place for all general questions regarding to the CF could be posted here.

vortextwist
03-15-2008, 10:28 AM
that made no sence what so ever.

erv
03-15-2008, 10:55 AM
I'll add that the title of the topic is "what do you want on crystal focus xxx ?"
It's a thread about CF features, behaviors and upgrades, with a bit of trouble shooting as well.
The thread about V4 is a roadmap, it does not swallow the topics covered here.

By the way,
updates for V4 : roadmap video part I is there !

Erv'

erv
03-21-2008, 12:09 AM
sd card holder back in stock since... today or yesterday. I'm going to order them this week end, I'll be able to ship the rest of the CF next week :D

jpbeck
03-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Thank you for the update-- and your time.

Joe Beck

erv
03-22-2008, 06:45 AM
RGB setup fully working with an additionnal parameter in the SD card :
- no RGB - blinking / sequenced LEDs are enabled
- RGB 1 : use blinking LED1 to activate a power xtender board to select on of the LED of the RGB setup (red for instance)
same for RGB 2 and 3

the système uses only 3 little power xtender boards and 8 wires : common luxeon + (common anode), common luxeon (-), 3 wires to the luxeon, 3 wires from the board to remote control the power xtender

DarthFender
04-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I gotta say "Merci, Erv!". My CF's got here right on my B-day. How awesome is that?

erv
04-06-2008, 11:54 PM
I gotta say "Merci, Erv!". My CF's got here right on my B-day. How awesome is that?

yeah... I know... was hard to organize the synchro with USPS, but spending a few grands, then I got the thing delivered right on time. Spent a lot of money also for the private detective who found your birthday date ! :mrgreen:

Glad to make your day !
be nice with the board, please don't use it as a pick :rolleyes:

Erv'

Hasid Lafre
04-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Erv going above and beyond the call of duty as a master soundboard designer.

DarthFender
04-07-2008, 05:12 AM
Glad to make your day !
be nice with the board, please don't use it as a pick :rolleyes:
Erv'

Ooops. Sorry. I got one as a pick and the other as a pickguard. Is that bad? But on the other hand my Fender has never sounded better. I just can't seem to get it to stop playing the Custom Saber Shop Theme song. :cool:

DARTH KALEL
04-07-2008, 08:18 PM
way cool Erv can't wait to actually get one, i'll be getting 2 as soon as they are availabe. One is going in a MHS with RGB.

Novastar
04-08-2008, 05:41 AM
While we're here... Erv should have his speakers in about 5 to 10 days. To err on the side of caution... expect the speakers to be available from Erv at... the beginning of May?

erv
04-09-2008, 01:46 AM
hope it will be there sooner, but who knows. I have the enveloppes ready with the customer names on them so that shipping of the speakers will be immediate, or so, as soon as I receive the speakers.

On another note, I have received yesterday the PCBs for V4. Some missing parts like speakers and microcontrollers will be there in 2 weeks or so, but in the meanwhile, I can start building them and finishing the firmware. Lots of new goodies in V4. Posting the details in the V4 roadmap topic right now.

Erv'

DARTH KALEL
04-09-2008, 02:02 AM
maybe i missed it somewhere or just too tired, but when is v 4 going to be available

erv
04-09-2008, 02:23 AM
*Sigh*
subscribe to the newsletter...

Novastar
04-09-2008, 02:49 AM
Patience, Kalel. The man works hard, let's try to use the tools available like the threads and his website to find out more details.

As it is, I'm throwing Erv THRONGS of ideas (albeit to improve v4 and future boards)... but... I don't want to kill him! :P

DarthFender
04-13-2008, 08:45 AM
maybe i missed it somewhere or just too tired, but when is v 4 going to be available

20 lashes with a wet noodle!!!! And you will be made to sit in.......

THE COMFY CHAIR!!!!!!!!!!!! You will be beaten with......

SOFT PILLOWS!!!!!!!!

Seriously, though. Read More. Post less. We all get a little Eager when were new on here. But.... Well, there you have it.

DACOTA
04-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Ok time to throw someone off track. I know this is just stupid but where exactly did the buttered toast joke start, and why is it funny? I mean I laugh but dont know why.:confused: Please, dont hurt me.

Angelus Lupus
04-14-2008, 05:23 PM
As far as I know, it goes like this:
Ev's first board was 'the best thing since sliced bread'
His next version was better than that. Better than 'the best thing since sliced bread' had to be (as many said) toasted sliced bread.
(see where this is going yet?)
After that, the next, and better, version had to be better than toasted bread, so it was buttered.
Erv decided to use the term 'buttered toast' as a code name for his boards until they became known as Crystal Focus.

And each version on has had something better on the toast like Jam, or Fois Gras

vortextwist
04-14-2008, 06:05 PM
I beleive it was when erv was getting info on what to put into his boards and with all the stuff it was a joke that it would butter someones toast. xwing would know for sure becouse I think it was him or firebird that said it.

erv
04-15-2008, 12:44 AM
The credit to that one goes to Firebird I think, at the beginning of this thread. I think he said something like
"and I want Erv's board to butter my toast in the morning"

then we started talking about "buttered toast" and for the joke I said V2 will have either jam or nutella on it and so on :mrgreen:

On another note :
missing speakers shipping today, missing CFV3 will ship by the end of the week !

Erv'

Novastar
04-15-2008, 02:03 AM
Ah! Glad to hear the speakers arrived already! That was fast... I think the extra shipping $$$ was well worth it then... I guess??? I mean, who knows how it got there so quick, heheh.

Everyone prepare for your high-quality 28mm... I cannot even TELL you how much better they are than pretty much MOST anything you'd find out there in the same size/price range.

I mean sure--go ahead and compare it to a THX-capable Creative Labs 7.2 system... see if I care. :-x :rolleyes: heheheheh

DARTH KALEL
04-15-2008, 03:08 AM
sorry guys for the lack of patients(?) I just heard my first one last week and it blew me away, i've always just made my own hilts so I never knew anything like this existed, so of course I was like a kid on christmas, and don't worry i'm off vacation wed so no more posting, for a bit lol, I can build a hilt in under an hour machine one in two but can't wire anything lol

side question why is nobody doing copper and brass machining, I know it's a little pricy but still, i'm trying to duplicate a few parts in copper as we speak, will post picks when done, and also have a design for a metal ceramic saber as well. i'm going to try a 15 watt LED with ceramic heat sinks and holding section, should be great.

luis rojas
04-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi: I've made some parts in brass and copper. I've made those parts for the Luke EP VI and Obi Wan EP III See for yourself:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=676&page=12

DACOTA
04-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the answer, I knew it was funny but now I know why.;)

strengthofrage
04-25-2008, 03:32 PM
I just received my CF v3 in the mail (I elected to wait for the speaker), thanks Erv! I am excited to get to work on the saber I have in mind for it. As much as I love how my first two MHS sabers turned out, they just don't feel as though they would be my personal saber if I were a Jedi. I am eager to create!!!

Thanks again to Erv for all of your hard work and development, this is truly an amazing little device :) and thanks again to Novastar for his many many hours of hard work and creativity that went in to his amazing sound fonts!

Novastar
04-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Glad you like, STR of RRRRR!!! :) I'm certain Erv is also happy that you are satisfied...

I'm still working on that CD compendium, and--with any luck--it will be a fantastic help in FURTHER customizing people's CF sabers. I mean, jeez with 15+ fonts, you really need at least 3 SD cards, or... 2 CF or whatever, hehhehe.

Novastar
07-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Granted, I realize this thread should become "v4" buttered toast, but... just wanted to share a few things:

1. Be patient with Erv, as... he just got a new house with the family! :) So things are busy.

2. It DOES seem as though a new release of CF *MIGHT* have to wait until September... but... don't know for certain yet--anything is possible.

3. If you've started working with / exploring the NSCFCDv1 Sound Compendium... feel free to make comments, suggestions, "beefs"/complaints and so forth here:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=5016

It's true that *I* did not start the thread, BlackDog did, but... doesn't matter, just want to have a single thread to comment about the N-Star v1 CD.

Finally, I'm teaching another week-long fencing camp in August (just got done with one this past week) and also attending "LoopKicks" in July for a week, so I might be touch and go for some time. :)

DACOTA
07-15-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm glad that things arent moving to fast because I would be so behind. I know that sounded selfish but I have not been on here in forever it seems.
Glad to see evryone is still surpassing me. Oh well, my saber will have to wait until my $600 guitar is done. Totally off track. Anyways, I'll have to take a look at that cd Nova.

CorellianBada**
07-15-2008, 02:49 PM
what I personally would love to see would be my name and address on a shipping label for one or 10 of them :)

ok, back to the constructive posts.....

Novastar
08-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Crystal Focus -- Detailed Video Wiring Guide...

* Four parts, each about ten minutes each
* All solders and actions shown
* Recharge port covered
* Kill pin shown
* Li-Ion "extra": wiring up a PCB for Li-Ions
* Motor "extra": short clip showing a vibration motor

For those who need a "newbie" wiring guide--it's there!

PART I: http://youtube.com/watch?v=KR9r_lGYGoQ
PART II: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6uRWrjMpxD8
PART III: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2h3buByUBV8
PART IV: http://youtube.com/watch?v=DNcc2oZWmO8

Special thanks to Gundamaniac for making the video a success by doing the wiring with his CF board while I did the camera work!

SpectreT65
08-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Nova, you rock in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround! :D

Count Malik
08-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Nova, you rock in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround! :D

I double that!:cool:

Novastar
08-04-2008, 10:25 PM
I double that!:cool:Twice the pride, double the... Dolby?!? :)

hahah, I like that one though, Spectre!! And wait... would that be freakin' 10.2 surround??!? Dayum. That would be one MEEEEAAAN setup for sound.

And here I thought I was "moderately pimpin'" with my poor man's 6.2 surround. That's right, it's some wacky six speaker setup with 2 subwoofers. It's odd. But neato.

Oh, and everybody show/message some props to Gundamaniac for doing his first CF with some good skill! There were a lot of firsts for him in that video.

amichaels
08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
My wish is just for there to be some left so I can buy a couple! I'm easy to please. ;)

SpectreT65
08-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Actually, Gundamaniac deserves mad props just for being able to solder a K2. I tried everything from a hobby file to harsh language, and the pads on my K2's won't hold solder at all - it just balls up and rolls off like water on teflon. And that was a big honkin' flat iron to be using for such a compact PCB, so ya, awesome job.

Novastar
08-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I have to admit, I have never understood the whole problems with the K2 thing. I had to solder a good amount of them, and... no problems.

Also, I don't think it gave Brian any problems either.

Spectre... are you heating the K2's pad a bit and then trying to feed a little solder into it? If not, that is a good idea to try.

Finally, the only help I can give on soldering is the following:

* Tin both parts prior to connecting them wherever possible
* Tin the IRON prior to connecting/soldering, etc.
* Don't use a bonkload of solder--more is not equal to better
* Clean the iron regularly--wipe it/quench it into a sponge... whatever you like, just clean old solder off
* In order to tin parts--it's better to use the iron
to HEAT THE PART and let the solder "decide" to flow toward the HEAT rather than trying to "paint" solder on, lol
* It should not take more than a second or so (3 seconds MAX, if that) to complete a good solder joint
* ALWAYS test your solders by pulling/tugging--fairly hard--on the part. If it fails... well, better now than later on when you're "showing off" to Chewbacca and Greedo or whatever, hahahah

;)

P.S. EDIT: Oh, and yes--the iron sucked iron monkey balls. I wish I had better tips, but... if I've soldered most everything I have with that tip... ANYONE can do it with a really fine pointed "cone" tip.

gundamaniac
08-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Actually, I liked your iron Novastar. I have a 15 dollar Weller with a conical tip that I use for soldering now, and your "big fat honky" screwdriver tip actually works just as well if not better (maybe because I keep forgetting to lay the cone tip flat against the surface I'm soldering, ie making contact with the side of the cone instead of just the pointy tip, and that's impossible to forget with your big flat screwdriver tip).

Spectre, do you use a battery-powered iron of any type? Those things really suck "iron monkey balls" to borrow Nova's phrase. I tried using a Coldheat on the K2 once upon a time, and yup, the solder tends to just ball up and roll right off like a water droplet on a lily pad. I even tried sanding down the pad, but when I so much as tried to tin it, the solder would just bead right off the pad. I haven't experienced that problem at all since I got a plug-in iron.

SpectreT65
08-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Using a Radio Shack plug-in iron with a high heat 15W setting and a lower heat 30W setting (I've never trusted battery operated tools of any stripe, and the idea of "cold" soldering... just ugh), heating the pads and feeding solder just resulted in a ball of solder rolling off, at either heat setting. It's a conical tip, and I always clean and pre-tin the tip. It was the perfect tool (on the 15W setting) for quickly and thoroughly pre-tinning the pads on my own CF, so it's not the solder or the iron, that leaves either the pads or the user... :D

Lord Dottore Matto
08-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Spectre, try adding a little flux to the K2 pads, then pre tinning them and the wires and the iron. It will be a snap. I used to have the same prob and almost threw my 1st k2 against the wall until I 'fluxed' it up! Cheers!;)

Novastar
08-08-2008, 03:28 AM
...COMING SOON. :)

Stay tuned to hear from Erv himself...

A new batch of CF *WILL* be coming... only a matter of time and a little patience now.

As a matter of note, I will re-iterate that it has technically only been a little over 1 year since I even posted my video demonstrating the v1.2 (yes, version ONE POINT TWO) of CF in the Flange III hilt back in May 2007 (and the red v1.2 followed shortly thereafter)...

...and when I demonstrated v2.61 it was only October 2007!

So, at this point--we've basically seen four major versions of CF in a single year. And many have shown their videos as well, so it's not like I was the first or last or whatever... I'm just showing the general "timestamps"... :cool:

This means... for anyone thinking that "there are never any CF available"--au contraire! It just seems that way since when it comes to CF... people either lose track of time or patience... or BOTH! :)

Donnovan Sunrider
08-08-2008, 06:17 AM
That is outstanding to hear!

I'm starting to save up funds for a CF now, so hopefully the timing will work out well between supply and available funds.
Has Erv given any indication if the cost for the card or shipping will go up at all? I'm trying to save extra just in case, but a ballpark range would be useful in that regard.

Thanks Nova!

Darth Leximus
08-08-2008, 06:34 AM
This is truly great news, September is just around the corner now. Guess who has two thumbs and a birthday in September.....THIS GUY!!!

Kal El Rah
08-08-2008, 10:55 AM
You better not shout, you better not cry, you better not pout, I'm telling you why, the last batch as we know sold out in less then 5 minutes so make sure you are on Ervs mailing list to be advised what time in France they will be up for sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Donnovan Sunrider
08-08-2008, 11:05 AM
5 minutes?
Frack...

Darth_DevilGuy
08-08-2008, 11:16 AM
yeah I got lucky and snagged one, but now I've spent the last month and a half trying to think up a design that I consider good enough for it.

Novastar
08-08-2008, 05:26 PM
5 minutes?
Frack...For those who didn't truly understand this...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vjLS0J2AiMQ

:eek:

swear000
08-08-2008, 05:45 PM
What version of the Crystal Focus are you referring to?

savyas
08-08-2008, 06:17 PM
he's referring to CF 4.0

swear000
08-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Ah..Ok I just wanted to verify that it was the same source. I know there is a computer called the gumstix which is very small and may be able to fit in a hilt. It also has a sound module, SD card module, and display module. Total cost may be more than a CF board tho. I suppose the central part of the CF board is the SD card reader because that holds the information. Anyway, since those things sell like hotcakes, why don't they just have a dedicated team making batches regularly or would that shift the supply curve to far to the right?

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
08-08-2008, 08:02 PM
I think Erv likes the hands on, one man show, level of quality control that he has by doing it all himself. I only know him through here, and a handful of e-mails, but I get the impression that he is a perfectionist where it comes to his product. If he had a bunch of people putting his boards together, he would lose some of that quality control.

That said, I hope he makes a big batch of them this round. I'd like to get at least two, maybe three.

Novastar
08-08-2008, 11:16 PM
re: Gumstix... if you mean http://www.gumstix.com --- you have to be completely out of your MIND that this would be in any way ideal for a saber driver board. :) Talk about shooting RPGs at ants...

Regarding setting up teams of folks to assemble, test, and blah blah blah... well, Erv has looked into mass-production, but (as with all things) there are advantages and disadvantages. I'm not going to go into all of them, but let's just say... the cost wouldn't be reduced by much for the consumer... and as Obi-Dar said--it just takes more control away from the man himself.

Ultimately, sure, sure, it could be a good idea for CF to be released in the 1000s, but... it's a pretty tough learning curve. Not enough customers to TRULY warrant ONE-THOUSAND... and yet not so few that 50 to 100 boards seems to satisfy every single need out there.

So... as we all know (for those following Erv's hard work, innovation, and ingenuity)... Erv is sort of RIGHT AT THAT POINT... stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

That being said... I think he's extremely smart to keep it DIY for customers and essentially a "small" market. For now.

Now... SOMEday... if CF is suddenly SOOOOOOO crazy popular that literally THOUSANDS are screaming for it... maybe then it would warrant a mass-build of 'em. But even then... CF is still VERY DIY!!! It requires that the end user:

* learn or know how to solder
* learn or know how to properly assemble the files for the SD
* do a little work

This can be both a blessing and a curse. CF is *TERRIBLE* for any given 12-year old!!! A curse for those with no knowledge of LED sabers in general. Horrible still for even certain huge nerd adults that simply show up to 501st and RL meetings and watch the movies 24-7.

A BLESSING for electronics geeks, bloods, nerds, dorks, sluts, dweebies... they all think he's a righteous dude. ;) :cool:

(Points if you know what the hell the last sentence was a ref to... otherwise, just ignore it. :cool:)

swear000
08-09-2008, 02:58 AM
you are quite right. I just needed a sounding board to bounce the idea off of. I see that power would again be a problem. Don't get me wrong, I think CF is excellent and represents ingenuity by the creator. I think I was leaning toward the idea of the gumstix because of wifi/bluetooth.

Let's say that you wifi or bluetooth enabled things in your house and that you had a wifi /bluetooth built into the saber. We already know that the CF has motion sensing. So, what if by pushing the hilt vertically forward it would send out a wifi signal activating a device in the house. Kinda like "the force" but again cheating with technology a little.

I am just thinking about alternative things to stick in a hilt (i.e. wii remote, computer, stereo system, etc.). Maybe 5 or 10 years down the road those things may become more probable.

Anyway, I did not mean to offend anyone in anyway. CF has developed more "capabilities" with each subsequent version so I was just peering into the future a little to see what other feasible ideas are out there.

Master Dru-Er
08-09-2008, 06:30 AM
bom bom chic chicka-chicka
I for one cant ignore that!

Donnovan Sunrider
08-09-2008, 08:36 AM
**Snip**
That said, I hope he makes a big batch of them this round. I'd like to get at least two, maybe three.

I'll be happy with getting my mitts on one of them. (for now anyway):p

Novastar
08-09-2008, 01:32 PM
bom bom chic chicka-chicka
I for one cant ignore that!

Bowm Bowm...

Chik....

Chika-chikAAHHHHHHHHHH!!! :P hehehehh :cool:

Darth Leximus
08-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Anybody want a gummy bear? They've been in my pocket, there all warm and soft...

Madcow
08-09-2008, 09:00 PM
... life moves pretty fast,
if you don't stop and look around once in a while,
you could miss it.

Classic

Novastar
08-10-2008, 12:24 AM
// begin further de-railment

I asked for a CF v4, I got a computer. How's that for being born under a bad sign?
CF is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

// end de-railment

:)

swear000
08-10-2008, 12:29 AM
It would be lovely indeed..but I thought they sold out.

Novastar
08-10-2008, 03:46 AM
It would be lovely indeed..but I thought they sold out.It appears that only some people are actually paying attention, lol.... ....
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showpost.php?p=95979&postcount=916

And btw:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showpost.php?p=96063&postcount=927

...regarding this entire "sold out" thing. AGAIN, for the 2nd time--some people may think it's just insane and that CF has been out of stock for years, but the fact of the matter is, it's only been gone for THREE MONTHS. That's it.

In that time, Erv has been moving into a new home. He (like many of us) has a family, friends, a "NORMAL" job, and this is merely a... more involved hobby. :)

I need not mention that the only two other "major" sound/light driver boards are ALSO scarce in supply. Namely, MR boards (although sure, you could pay $110+ for a full MR)... and the Ultrasound.

So everyone... just keep your eyes open. It's only been THREE MONTHS. Summer isn't even over. Get a grip, heheh! :D

swear000
08-10-2008, 04:50 AM
well it is good news to know more may be coming. I used to work in computers a lot but never touched embedded electronics. Now I see that it has many useful applications. Especially, that AVR microcontroller thing they were always talking about.

Master Dru-Er
08-10-2008, 05:14 AM
I think you're all rightous dudes!

amichaels
08-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Any idea if Erv has ever thought of doing a preorder type thing?

xwingband
08-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Any idea if Erv has ever thought of doing a preorder type thing?

Yes... it's been asked many times. Erv doesn't want to take your money ahead of time. Which is crazy for him as he obviously pays out of pocket for the components.

I've heard: "Fine, then just make a list"

He doesn't like the idea of making people wait with no firm date and a list doesn't imply these people are ready to pay either thus inflating the numbers he'd make.

Basically this is the way it goes because it's what Erv is most comfortable with. I don't blame him either. When I've done work for others I refuse to take a "deposit". I ask them to send me the parts so that if the wait is too long I have no obligation and could just ship it back.

amichaels
08-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Makes sense. I know the last batch sold out super quick though I'd hate to miss out on the five minute buying window. :P

Kal El Rah
08-10-2008, 12:23 PM
As I posted on page 92 0f this thread, Make sure you are on his mailing list(register for news letter) that way you will get an email with updates on what time and date he will put the new batch up for sale. Remember that it will be France time, not USA time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

amichaels
08-10-2008, 12:46 PM
I did when I first started this whole saber building odyssey. :cool:

Donnovan Sunrider
08-10-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm on his list too.
If nothing else, maybe some of the lucky ones that get the shiny new v4.2 model will be willing to sell an earlier board to those of us with none. I don't mind not having the latest, I just want working sound and light.

swear000
08-10-2008, 05:13 PM
well the card has a CF reader and may be possible to do with an amtel chip. I am looking through circuits now. Simple and cheap would be LED flasher with a sound module. there are simple cell phone and mp3 player circuits as well. It looks like the Crystal Focus was engineered for a specific audience and the price of parts and labor is more than fair. So, you are right CF wins hands down.

Roy's Blues
08-10-2008, 06:37 PM
On the next release f CF V#, I would like an setting in the config file for volume control. no fragile pantometer to worry about.

volume=1-10

99.9 percent of us use the premium speaker from TCSS, so why not have it set up internally and save space on the board.

/0.02 cents

Novastar
08-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Hola Roys... how goes your CF? :)

As to the volume parameter... well... it HAS indeed been suggested before, and *I* even double-checked with Erv on why he never did that. To make a long story short, it's just not feasible for him to do--it would actually complicate things more than you believe, and take MORE room on the board.

HOWEVER... for those who dearly want a volume control that they can manipulate on the OUTSIDE of the saber... put a (well-calibrated) POT over you speaker leads. Mount it where you like. Done.

Personally, I have never found the potentiometers on the boards to be fragile.

-----------------------

For folks who want VERY SIMPLE light + sound... I would ***NEVER*** suggest CF. It's simply too complicated and requires work.

For "simple, easy, quick" sound + light... I suggest the SW-616 board (although the hilt is garbage as we know).

Donnovan Sunrider
08-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Okay, here's a feature request. I have no way of knowing what the practicality of such a thing is, but I thought I'd mention it. Note that I have no electronics training, so this is all wishful thinking for a V5, V6 or later of the CF.

In this thread:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=5455
It's discussed how cool it is when a saber is extended slowly for dramatic tension. Like a warrior slowly drawing a blade from the scabbard.

What I'm requesting is the option to solder an external potentiometer to a saber to control the speed at which a blade extends. If the pot' is all the way up, then it's at the default for the settings on the SD card, but maybe it can be turned down to slow the advance of the blade when it would be dramatic to do so?

xwingband
08-13-2008, 09:34 AM
The extension and retraction is based on the length of the sounds used. That's been in since V2 something? Want a long extension just put in a long sound.

Now being able to do both is a different story... maybe then you could have the aux button trigger the alternate extension sound. I'm not sure how feasible that is as that's kind of in use by the on/off protect.

Novastar
08-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Donovan--it's not as simple as a POT for the CF board... so that wouldn't work.

What X-Wing is suggesting is correct--adjust the poweron's sound length for a longer "ramping" effect. Nothing could be more well-demonstrated than loading in my "Ancient Saber" or "Phoenix Pyre" fonts. Even the newer "Nano Deus Tachi" font ramps in slowly.

Other suggestions:
* Different sound font for different ramping (one "long" poweron sound, the other "short")

* Have a quick poweron sound, but... add a portion of the hum sound into the END of your poweron... and you'll get a longer ramping, although the saber will seem to have finished it's poweron sound. :)

It's always nice if people try OTHER sound fonts (some old versions still available on Erv's site), or the N-Star CD first to get an idea of how the light driving can be "guided" with different sounds and different parameters.

erv
08-14-2008, 02:26 AM
novastar's hack is truly the way to increase virtually the duration of the extension, but don't abuse of that technique cause :
- you'll get to the hum with the blade continuing to "extend" and at a certain point it can look weird
- you won't get any motion detection until the power on sound is over, so if you start waving the saber, it will continue to play the power on with no gesture /motion reaction.

xwing is right, I decided to automatically put the ramp mirroring the duration of the sound, which leave more flexibility for sound design and no parameter to adjust for the blade extension.

Erv'

Donnovan Sunrider
08-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Okay that makes sense. Thanks.
Can't wait to get my hands on a CF module eventually. :D

Novastar
08-15-2008, 05:00 PM
With any luck (and this is NOT a promise, so... just keep that in mind), we'll be adding a feature that allows the blade to flicker the way your settings state... for the POWERON and POWEROFF functions.

In other words--right now, the blade flicker is not present in the p-on/p-off modes until the hum sound begins to play (and swings, clashes, lock, etc.)... but it may be possible to have the flicker as the blade ramps on/off.

After all, it SEEMS possible with the way v4's light driving was upgraded. But... we'll see! :cool:

If THAT ends up happening, I can't think of much more. Although Erv and I were considered some sort of "troubleshooting" sounds folder--but it may be moot when:

* you plug in your sounds and CF beeps at you
* using the NSCFCD it makes things even easier now
* there is so much more help available now than there was 1 year ago as to getting things correct on the SD
* IF a GUI is coming--no point in troubleshooting sounds.

I don't know about the GUI either... but that could be pretty nifty. :rolleyes:

Novastar
09-05-2008, 07:18 AM
I remember speaking to a few people regarding this... the v2 .pdf somehow had disappeared from the plecterlabs site...

...it's back online again. :)

Also, the NSCFCDv1.1 will now contain that .pdf as well.

DACOTA
09-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Any info on when there will be cf's for sale? I looked on the website at pl but I didnt really see anything. I havent been on in a while so i'm a bit behind on things.

Novastar
09-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Erv should be able to get a missing part sometime mid-September (so yes, this month)... but... we don't know for certain.

This one's going to be about patience, but I imagine it won't be like 4 months more or something...

(famous last words, huh?) LOL

Donnovan Sunrider
09-05-2008, 05:05 PM
I'd rather wait longer and have Erv take his time.
This gives me the chance to collect other parts for my sabre after getting the cash together for the CF.

If I can have a CF based sabre, then it will be worth the wait. :D

Novastar
09-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Yup, plenty of planning to do when it comes to CF. Myself, I planned for a month or so, using a "dummy" foam CF to be certain of every measurement and how the board was aligned in my hilts to work right for removal of the SD and so forth. But that was the v1.2 days (2007).

And... in this day and age... there is my CD--which will take you MONTHS to go through all 700MB worth of the stuff... and planning all the banks and sounds takes some time too!

So... plenty to work on if you're making a CF-driven saber!

DACOTA
09-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Once I'm done building my guitar and I get an amp and what not then I'm going to start work on my Grievous saber,which needs a cf for sure,but that wont be until maybe the beginning of next year.

!!!!!!! I LOVE CF!!!!!!!:p

erv
09-08-2008, 01:23 AM
I'm not really often on the forums since I've moved, but the house is getting better everyday.

a few things :

** about the potentiometer thing, a page or 2 above : volume adjustment to the amp depends on the battery voltage, it's not an absolute loudness. What comes out from the audio part is normalized, then amplitude scale, then goes to the amp. Scaling the normalized audio from the DAC digitally will
A) decrease the SNR (signal to noise ratio)
B) requiere to divide the digital representation of the sound (the samples) which is CPU power consumming. I've tried, even using just power of two factors (volume 100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5% etc), I can't get my board to reproduce audio waveforms at 22khz

If I move a faster CPU, I'll see. The other solution is to use a digitally controlled potentiometer which is about 2 to 10 times bigger and adds a cost of $10 minimum

** V2 user's manual : A while ago I cleaned up the list of available documentations on the website, so that newcomers and new customers don't wonder why there are so many version of the manual and what matches who.
On request, I'll enable again some manual, don't worry, it's still there, it's just hidden.

The missing part for CF should be there next week (week 38), I'll be checking every day and I'll order immediatly.
I also plan to move my electronic lab and bench in the new house this week or next week end, pretty good (but tight) schedule to start working again on CF and blaster cores.
Be patient !
Erv'

Sohryu76
09-08-2008, 07:06 AM
IN ERV WE TRUST!

Get yourself situated, Erv... we will be here when you are ready to produce again!

Donnovan Sunrider
09-08-2008, 07:22 AM
It's good to hear things are getting put together for you Erv. I know how much chaos moving can be.

Take your time. We'll be here when your ready to unleash a new batch of boards on us. :)

Count Malik
09-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Has anyone connected Erv' yet? Just need to contact him cause I have a CF thats in need of repare or replace? But no hurry.:cool::rolleyes::D

erv
09-08-2008, 11:49 PM
thanks guys !
malik : we are getting close to mid september, you can send me an EMAIL (or use the website contact form) to remind me what the problem is, I'll fix your board !
Erv'

Count Malik
09-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Alrighty then. Well Erv' my dear fellow, sending a E-mail to you at the speed of atomic matter!:D Thanks!!:D e-mail sent!!!!

erv
09-16-2008, 03:02 AM
a promise is a promise, and an EE schedule can generally be trusted : the part arrived today, as expected.
Ordered all the parts immediatly and stored 50% additional parts (the "rare" one) in case another shortage happens.
The next run should be about 110 to 125 boards.
Moving the lab back to the house is in progress, maybe I'll be able to start soldering this week end.
Erv'

Donnovan Sunrider
09-16-2008, 05:42 AM
I have a question that you may or may not be able to answer yet.
Do you anticipate any change in price for the new CF? I noticed that prior versions had increases as they got more complex and presumably more difficult to construct.

erv
09-16-2008, 11:18 AM
price increase has never been set for "more complex board" or "harder to build", despite I had to buy some new equipment for 3 & 4.0. Each time, it's a part upgrade (deluxe speaker, micro SD card) which added some cost ;)

Novastar
09-16-2008, 03:15 PM
That's weird... I made a few posts here but they never added / vanished... (!)

Oh well... testing! Anyhow, there's going to be a fun video to coincide with the new release of CF... so stay tuned, all!

Count Malik
09-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the update Erv'!:D

erv
09-17-2008, 12:27 AM
sent you some materials for the video, matt ;)

erv
09-19-2008, 02:01 AM
the fruits of my desire (aka motion sensors) reached my desk a few minutes ago, the rest of the parts should follow in a few hours :D

eastern57
09-19-2008, 02:31 AM
*Stands tall, with fist raised high above head... the sure sign of VICTORY!*

"You go girl-friend!!"

Novastar
09-19-2008, 02:44 AM
the fruits of my desire (aka motion sensors) reached my desk a few minutes ago, the rest of the parts should follow in a few hours :DOhp! Merde! I mean--sure I am pretty happy about this, but... uh-oh, I hope I'm ready to complete the video quickly enough!!

And thanks for the video clips--they are **PUUUURRRRRRFECT* for the stuff. People are going to bust guts... :D

Donnovan Sunrider
09-19-2008, 05:57 AM
And now we just sit back and wait patiently.
Or at least try real hard. :D

Hey Erv, will you be offering Nova's CD in a bundle like you did on the previous CF version? I'm thinking of going for that.

Would you be so kind as to send out a message on your CF updates list so we know that we're signed up right and spam filters aren't blocking anything? I'm all signed up on the site, but I'm paranoid that you're sending out notices that I'm not getting.

Novastar
09-27-2008, 03:32 AM
Good question Donovan...

I've been working with Erv in order to set up a way for the CD to be discounted a bit when it's bought with CF. :) He has in his possession several of the Compendiums. Something like 20 or so. And I can send him more, or work with him to get CDs out to customers if Erv ends up running out.

No matter how it goes... anyone who WANTS to buy the CD and does so... will get one. I can pretty much have an unlimited supply of them at my fingertips if need be.

Personally, I'd encourage people to buy the sound CD with CF as a bundle since they are very likely to get a discount on the CD. Naturally and obviously, if you already have the NSCFCD... no need to get it again! Duh.

Donnovan Sunrider
09-27-2008, 07:07 AM
Awesome, thanks Nova. A bundle discount is what appealed to me. Every little bit helps. :)

Novastar
09-29-2008, 01:29 PM
You're welcome, Donovan.

As a matter of note, I've sent Erv a large batch of premium speakers (the 28mm ones), and they actually have had an upgrade to their magnet at the factory level. No dimensions have changed though.

So... just an FYI for people out there who are interested in the upcoming CF batch. :)

erv
09-29-2008, 01:49 PM
on another note I've actually used the hot air station tonight... Seems like I'm really back on the air again. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain the end of october deadline for the batch of CF, even it's going to be tought with the FACTS convention mid october (but most of demo / show off gear is ready, pulse rifle included)

Erv'

Barmic Rin
09-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Erv, will you be accepting blood this time round? I can't wait for one of these! My 1.2 will finally get it's new home in my Graflex & Aurora can make even more people wee themselves a little at the next convention with next gen CF in her innards!! I will be keeping an eye....

Donnovan Sunrider
09-29-2008, 02:37 PM
A speaker comes with the CF? I thought it was just the board that came in the package. That's great if that's covered too.

Okay, so you're looking at end of October... I though the release was going to be September, so I've been sitting on the money for it all month. :)

This gives me the opportunity to work on other parts. And I'm tempted to get the Font CD early so I can start working on my sound selections. Decisions, decisions...

sekrogue1985
09-29-2008, 02:54 PM
A speaker comes with the CF? I thought it was just the board that came in the package. That's great if that's covered too.

Okay, so you're looking at end of October... I though the release was going to be September, so I've been sitting on the money for it all month. :)

This gives me the opportunity to work on other parts. And I'm tempted to get the Font CD early so I can start working on my sound selections. Decisions, decisions...

get the CD it is so worth it

and i soon hope to get a second one wonder if i'll make it this time i was so short last time :( oh and ummmm what would i like on it ummmm a sticker

erv
09-29-2008, 10:08 PM
barmic that's interesting.... I'm now thinking about testing each customer's blood to see if they have enough midichlorian ;) (like if I wasn't busy enought !)

donovan : yep, the board comes with speaker, wire and heatshrink. The last price update for 4.0, due to the use of the micro SD card, made me wanting to add little things to the package in compensation. You have the details of the package on the product page I think.

Release date and mad dash : some thoughts. One of use has mentionned a nice idea to stay away the negative stock problem I've face in the past.
The release date will be announced a week or a few days before, cause I know some of you don't have daily access. I'm myself connected at work and at home all the time so I tend to forget that but I'm doing my best :D
Then, instead of having the whole batch presented for sale, it will go mini batch per mini batch, each time, even if I go negative, I'll count exactly how many boards were sold. This over a whole evening, like from 15:00 to 23:00. This will allow everyone to be able to get one using "self organising". No boards left, wait a little bit, check the site from times to times and you'll get one. No mad dash.
Like last time, the time slice will be more or less world wide compatible. Day : saturday evening, so that Japan, Australia and West coast can have a chance to stay awake late (or very early in the morning) and also to ensure that everyone has enough free time.
For those who don't have internet at home during the week end : I honnestly can't do anything for you, get a friend to buy it for you.

fair to anyone ?
Erv'

Lord Maul
09-29-2008, 10:24 PM
I like it. It's always been a problem here in WA with the 9 hour time delay.

Novastar
09-29-2008, 11:39 PM
...the board comes with speaker, wire and heatshrink. The last price update for 4.0, due to the use of the micro SD card, made me wanting to add little things to the package in compensation.Solution for this Erv: Talk with me more about the CD, and let's find a way to bundle it at a nice price. :)

Maybe we can do a fun bonus where the first 10 who buy it bundled go for a lesser amount for the CD??!? And, as I mentioned before, just overall the CD can be for less when it goes through you with a CF.

As to the mini-batches... I think that is indeed one of the best ways it could be done. Especially since that would effectively leave the "confirmed" buyers to wander away and allow room for other buyers to pick it up.

I would also propose a limit to 2 boards maximum per buyer... maybe even ONE board maximum. This would very likely prevent:

* One customer ruining a few people's days... who would "miss out" on a run of CF

* CF projects sitting around doing nothing... I KNOWsome of you are out there with 2 CFs sitting in a box where they will be put into sabers "later", lol

* Ebay "CF scalpers" cut down in a hardcore way... no chance of someone buying five and selling 3 or 4 each for $500.

* Promote more "viewership/customer base" regarding CF if totally NEW customers will be buying, and not just people who already have it and want every bloody version under the sun. I mean I know there are many out there who have a v2, v3, v4... and maybe TWO of one of those. I just hope you use them a lot! :D

Anyhow, that's my two cents.

Donnovan Sunrider
09-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Erv,
I really like your ideas for making the board available for people. Thank you for making the extra effort to make these available for more people. As a new (hopeful) CF user, I really appreciate it, and I'm sure others in the same situation will too.

I'm not against any of Nova's ideas either. All I need is one right now, so I don't mind a limit. :)

Count Malik
09-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks Erv'!:D
Novastar: BTW I want/going to be buying you NSSC CD. Right when my CF is repared!

Novastar
10-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Thanks Erv'!:D
Novastar: BTW I want/going to be buying you NSSC CD. Right when my CF is repared!With the bundle coming--waiting is fine! :) However, some people may want to buy it early so that they have time to listen to all the fonts closely... compile their six "perfect" sound banks, complete with touch-ups they want + the right configurations for their needs (switches, LED current, special settings, etc.) + iSaber full of what they want...

Ask anyone who bought it... you can get *LOST* in all the stuff that's on there!!! It's so chock full, even *I* get lost in my own museum... ;)

A little bit of Marcus Brody it seems... ;)

BlackDOG
10-02-2008, 07:24 AM
You know that is an achievment on the xbox360 game

MoonDragn
10-02-2008, 08:27 AM
So being relatively new, I skimmed over a few dozen pages in this thread... 99 is simply too many to read.

I guess I have a few questions. How do I get on the mailing list? How can I get the new CF4 when it does come out? Around how much would it cost?

Edit > never mind I found his website! wow awesome!

Jedi-Diah
10-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks Erv. Hopefully I will soon become a proud, official, card carrying CF owner!

DACOTA
10-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Haha, lost in his own museum. Thats funny right there.

I will for sure get Nova's cd whe I have a cf saber. I really aprreciate all the work you guys do,its great! Mtfbym.[ May the force blow your mind]

Jedi-Diah
10-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Oooh... 100 pages...

erv
10-04-2008, 12:39 AM
100 pages... oh well...
I'm sort of "discovering" that I never renamed the thread with V4 new board. Not that I was out of Ideas of what to put on the toast but...
Since V4 is more or less a follow up to 3.x (same motion sensors, a few additionnal settings and a micro SD) it does not matter.
I'll do something for V5. Yep, you heard me. V5 for 2009.

Several thoughts to be share here :
- the current architecture is very stable and works fine. Okay, I had a few sensors not properly soldered which required board fixing, but overall, for a hand made board, it's reached a point I wouldn't have imagine (with the next batch, it's more or less 800 boards since mid 2006).
- the cpu power is limited in my current chip and I don't like being at the limit, especially when I design an "architecture". The way I've designed CF, code wise, allows updates and upgrades of the firmware without the need to break everything and rebuild the whole thing. The architecture is portable to a new chip, more powerfull, faster, and probably even smaller.
- that's the last time I make CF the way I build it (hand soldering + hot air soldering for the motion sensor). Not that I don't like it, but it's time consuming even I'm doing that really fast. Also, I'd like to get something even more professionnally made. I'm currently having like 10% of defective boards. Sometimes it's a bad part (like a microcontroller that can't run the expected speed despite the grade I've chosen), or a soldering problem on the motion sensor, problems that appears after some time of use, because of the heat. 10% probably sounds big to you, I'd just say it would be the same thing or even worse if I was getting them manufactured in china.
- I'll buy a reflow oven just after this batch, and I've sourced a way to get professionnal stainless steel stencil for a decent price, so I'll now... "bake the toasts". This will hopefully standardize the quality of the soldering and reduce the number of defective boards.
- I don't expect to have price increase on CF even for V5. The new chip should allow to even remove some parts of the current design, counter balancing the overall cost.
- I don't know for sure, but if I have enough CPU and enough RAM, I might consider real time hum mixing with the sound Fx ! Ahahahha !

Of course, in the meanwhile, I'll make a CF V4 ledstrip version since there's some interest about that. Maybe I'll release this specific version accordingly to the V5 design to maintain compatibility between the 2.

Hope you don't mind me sharing some of my dreams,
Erv'

Jedi-Diah
10-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Your work is appreciated. We don't deserve it.

100 pages... oh well...
I'm sort of "discovering" that I never renamed the thread with V4 new board. Not that I was out of Ideas of what to put on the toast but...
Since V4 is more or less a follow up to 3.x (same motion sensors, a few additionnal settings and a micro SD) it does not matter.
I'll do something for V5. Yep, you heard me. V5 for 2009.

Several thoughts to be share here :
- the current architecture is very stable and works fine. Okay, I had a few sensors not properly soldered which required board fixing, but overall, for a hand made board, it's reached a point I wouldn't have imagine (with the next batch, it's more or less 800 boards since mid 2006).
- the cpu power is limited in my current chip and I don't like being at the limit, especially when I design an "architecture". The way I've designed CF, code wise, allows updates and upgrades of the firmware without the need to break everything and rebuild the whole thing. The architecture is portable to a new chip, more powerfull, faster, and probably even smaller.
- that's the last time I make CF the way I build it (hand soldering + hot air soldering for the motion sensor). Not that I don't like it, but it's time consuming even I'm doing that really fast. Also, I'd like to get something even more professionnally made. I'm currently having like 10% of defective boards. Sometimes it's a bad part (like a microcontroller that can't run the expected speed despite the grade I've chosen), or a soldering problem on the motion sensor, problems that appears after some time of use, because of the heat. 10% probably sounds big to you, I'd just say it would be the same thing or even worse if I was getting them manufactured in china.
- I'll buy a reflow oven just after this batch, and I've sourced a way to get professionnal stainless steel stencil for a decent price, so I'll now... "bake the toasts". This will hopefully standardize the quality of the soldering and reduce the number of defective boards.
- I don't expect to have price increase on CF even for V5. The new chip should allow to even remove some parts of the current design, counter balancing the overall cost.
- I don't know for sure, but if I have enough CPU and enough RAM, I might consider real time hum mixing with the sound Fx ! Ahahahha !

Of course, in the meanwhile, I'll make a CF V4 ledstrip version since there's some interest about that. Maybe I'll release this specific version accordingly to the V5 design to maintain compatibility between the 2.

Hope you don't mind me sharing some of my dreams,
Erv'

Count Malik
10-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Say whhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaattttttttt!!!!!!!!!:D Thats...thats impossible! J/K. Sound cool I, learned never doubt the great almighty Erv'!:rolleyes::D

erv
10-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Your work is appreciated. We don't deserve it.

lol, sounds like you watched to much of "wayne's world". Please don't call me Alice Cooper :mrgreen:
I'm not the last samaritan, but I'm not a bad person neither. I love props electronics and I like what I build is really used, that's why I design stuff FOR the user's (I just need let's say 10% of it to match my own use)
Erv'

Jedi-Diah
10-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Well, you're good at designing electronics and you're into lightsabers. That's a great combination. Lucky for us!!!

lol, sounds like you watched to much of "wayne's world". Please don't call me Alice Cooper :mrgreen:
I'm not the last samaritan, but I'm not a bad person neither. I love props electronics and I like what I build is really used, that's why I design stuff FOR the user's (I just need let's say 10% of it to match my own use)
Erv'

Hasid Lafre
10-04-2008, 10:15 AM
HOpefully today I will get around to turning on my CF for the first time sence it came into my hands.

But in no way do I plan on dueling with this saber much, I got to much time and such into it I dont want something to cause it to go haywire on me. I got that kinda luck.

Keep up all the great work that you do so well erv.

Jedi-Diah
10-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, sabers are pretty fun just to play with anyway. Just turning them on and waving them around fun enough. And I'm turning 40 at the end of this year too! I've dreamed of having a cool saber with good looks, light and sound since I was 9 years old. A childhood dream come true... My 8 year old son loves it too.

HOpefully today I will get around to turning on my CF for the first time sence it came into my hands.

But in no way do I plan on dueling with this saber much, I got to much time and such into it I dont want something to cause it to go haywire on me. I got that kinda luck.

Keep up all the great work that you do so well erv.