PDA

View Full Version : What would you like on buttered toast V4.x?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

erv
10-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Has it ever been discussed...
To build a small hand-held PLI that would plug into the recharge port and give an instant reading on the battery status?

I'm not sure - but how are the PLI bargraphs wired - would it be as simple as soldering it to a recharge jack and putting it in a nice looking little case of some kind?
(Maybe this should be a totally new thread...)

Totally possible using my PLI. Hooked up to the recharge jack like MC proposed, and here we go. Don't forget it's a simple voltmeter, it does not give the real state of a battery. Reading the voltage of a battery does not reveal how much "punch" it has. That's why in general it's better to look at the voltage when the saber is powered. However, it's can be a good idea of where the batteries are.

It leads me to another point. I've proposed to use the bargraph (4 blinking LEDs + low power LED) as a PLI. What about pressing the aux button to look at the battery state when the blade is off ? Quick pressure = 3 sec of battery state reading for instance. Long pressure goes to reboot the saber, if autorized.

Erv'

LAN-ED-TUL
10-07-2007, 02:08 AM
so you guys are sayin then, i could get one of Tims PLI's he has, wire it to the male plug, and just plug it in to kinda get a idea on batta strength?

that should be easy to solder up to the male plug. mount the plug onto a small case with the PLI mounted onto or in it where the grapg shows.

i like that idea.

Angelus Lupus
10-07-2007, 04:50 AM
It leads me to another point. I've proposed to use the bargraph (4 blinking LEDs + low power LED) as a PLI. What about pressing the aux button to look at the battery state when the blade is off ? Quick pressure = 3 sec of battery state reading for instance. Long pressure goes to reboot the saber, if autorized.

Erv'
That sounds like an excellent idea. I really like how you are able to get multiple functions out of your components; PLI, animated blinkies and audio bargraph in one. All run from just the aux button too, brilliant.

Madcow
10-09-2007, 09:53 AM

Erv'

Perfect Erv,
I think that is how Corbins PLI works on the KP Saber. I love the idea.

MC

Jonitus
10-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I just had a thought:

How about the portable PLI being integrated into something so it resembles a Jedi food capsule? That would be great for when you're in costume and want to check the state of your charge.

Of course, you could integrate it into other things too, but the food capsule sounds kind of neat.

Madcow
10-09-2007, 03:05 PM
I was thinking of disguising a PLI as one of those underwater breathing units.
I think the standard PLIs are too big for a food capsule. Maybe there's a micr one out there?

MC

Jonitus
10-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I just checked the PLI...too big for a believable food capsule. The underwater breather idea is neat.

erv
10-09-2007, 09:34 PM
I have both, however the air tanks of the breather are much too small too for my PLI, but maybe it works for corbin's one. A droid caller can be the solution. Or any stange device with lights that you'd call a diagnotic unit :D I have to check the SW visual dictionnary.

I've started the manufacturing of the PCBs yesterday, I'll got them in 2 weeks. Blaster core, Crystal Focus and the power extender micro boards to drive additionnal things from I/O's
Now the thing is that I have to write a new bootloader and it's going to be some work. This will at the end decides when the V3 will come out.
Erv'

erv
10-16-2007, 04:22 AM
I've updated the roadmap on the first page of that topic.
Here are the new stuff, some of it being in the last batch of 2.63 I've made. Thanks to novastar and eandori for their usefull inputs, as usual !

Additionnal Stuff for V3
- real low battery blinking indicator, voltage based [done]
- background music for the vocal menu [done]
- option to allow or not the play of the selected sound bank in the vocal menu Saves time when demontrating the banks or when heavily changing them. [done]
- optimized current measurement [done]
- blaster/force priority over swings : allows long blaster or force sounds not to be stopped by a swing to fake additionnal movements. Clashes however can break the sequence => variable duration for clashes [done]
- auxiliary circuit to drive an additionnal white flash (luxeon, simple LED) during blaster and clash. Specific duration of the flash can be setup on the card [done]
- instant on and off for the blade (already in 2.63) [done]
- blade lights up during iSaber, allows practice of a choreography with background music [done]
- additionnal flicker mode for iSaber : light is modulated with beat of the music [done]
- pulsing mode available in addition of the blade energy flickering mode (the so-called "movie flicker"). Not really screen accurate, but now that there are some alternate soundfonts like the phoenix blade of fire, this pulsing mode makes sense too. [done]
- shorten parameters name in the SD config file. Due to the growing number of parameters, I had to keep the param name short to stay under 512 bytes for the file size [done]

I've tested several things about the PLI. It's not usefull to have a PLI using 5 LEDs (4 of the bargraph + the low batt one) :
** using the aux button to see the voltage can only be done with the blade off, with no current taken from the battery, and the voltage won't really reflect the real state of the battery pack.
** 5 LEDs are not enough. 7 is great, 10 is accurate (corbin's PLI) but takes space. I definitly don't have the I/O to embed a 7 or 10 LED PLI.

I'm therefore staying on the low batt blinking indicator. As MC proposed, it's very easy to wire either corbin's PLI or mine in a jedi food capsule or whatever and read the batt voltage. However, again, this will not give a good idea of the battery stage, you can have it only when the luxeon is on. Since the recharge port is wired so that power to the board / luxeon etc is CUT when something is inserted in the recharge female plug, you can't insert the PLI and get the blade ON. Or you need a second diagnostic port and that starts to be really annoying. I guess the low batt flashing indicator will fit everyone.

Now about firmware update : I've been thru various kinds of techniques but I did not have any success about the SD firmware upgrade. This for the simple reason that if I make such a program, crypting the firmware etc, it takes too much space for what it is and I don't want to buy a new bigger chip just for that.
I hope that V3 will be satisfying enough so that user's don't target a firmware upgrade every month. And in case of bug there is still the good old solution of snail mail. V3 is really stable now but we never know, with more than 30 parameters, a strange combination can lead to weird side effects.

Price : might increase of 1 or 2 euros since the new version is coming with 2 low profile tantallum capacitors instead of the previous electrolitic ones. The boards is a few mm thinner, and easier to implement in a hilt.

No micro SD thing. I wanted to put the 2 footprints on the same board, so that the user could choose, unfortunatly it takes the same space. I stay on SD for the moment.

Now I'm going to order the parts to make the batch, since the PCBs are on the way.
Erv'

Novastar
10-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Great to hear this news, Erv! I certainly hope everyone gets a chance to see v3.

Here is v2.61 in action--for those who have not yet seen it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=7OQRAbt5z2Q

With any luck, both v3 and v2.61 will show up in BOP III.

Angelus Lupus
10-16-2007, 02:32 PM
The list of features just gets better and better, soon it will be a full Cordon Bleu meal with the buttered toast! I just can't wait to get my hands on one of these, I'm itching to do the 'bargraph behind the clamp bubbles' on my heiland.

darth ney
10-16-2007, 09:41 PM
hey erv now for the swing sounds let me get this straight.. the faster the swing the higher the pich it makes for the swing and the slower the swing the lower the pich? also please email me at neymore12 @ aol . com with any other specs and a price in usd for this sound board please

valeon
10-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Wait....did I read that right? Goose Liver? Whats the story behind that?

Novastar
10-16-2007, 10:28 PM
hey erv now for the swing sounds let me get this straight.. the faster the swing the higher the pich it makes for the swing and the slower the swing the lower the pich? also please email me at neymore12 @ aol . com with any other specs and a price in usd for this sound board pleaseDarth Ney, most all of what you are asking is readily available in the Crystal Focus .pdf files located on Erv's site.

Regarding the price--it is 100 Euro, which can easily be calculated online with a currency converter. Rates are dynamic... but it's about 130 USD.

Finally, yes, the pitch can be altered on swings, hums, and I believe even clashes. However, you do not want to alter the pitch too much--or the sounds will become somewhat ridiculous. Erv has set it up so that you have many choices, including fine tuning the pitch changes, including the hum sound or not for changes, or simply having no pitch change whatsoever.

It is most effective with only about a + or -15% change in pitch with most sounds. 20 or 25% could work, but anything beyond that will (usually) be bananas.

Angelus Lupus
10-17-2007, 03:34 AM
Wait....did I read that right? Goose Liver? Whats the story behind that?

Let me quote the encylopedia: The liver of goose or duck that has been specially fed and fattened; may be cooked whole or used as the basis of pâté de foie gras, the most highly prized of the pâtés.

The 'story' is that it's a step up in terms of quality from the buttered toast with jam or nutella

xwingband
10-17-2007, 05:02 AM
It is most effective with only about a + or -15% change in pitch with most sounds. 20 or 25% could work, but anything beyond that will (usually) be bananas.

Funny, I like 50%... especially with the fonts that have similar sounding swings I can't tell the difference enough at something that low.

Angelus Lupus
10-17-2007, 05:07 AM
And therein lies the beauty of Crystal Focus, customizable for your tastes. (I've noticed I've been going on about CF a lot lately, I think I might be getting a little impatient, lol)

Reaver
10-20-2007, 04:01 AM
Its probably a bit late now, but I had a couple of ideas (also I did'nt read all 35 pages of the post so sorry if I've doubled up on an idea)

- Soundfonts and settings downloaded straight into the board via USB or similar, so you dont have to take out the SD card to change sounds

- for double saber, have the board able to wire up double saber (2x luxeon III) without requiring 2 boards.

hope that helps!
-Reaver

xwingband
10-20-2007, 05:33 AM
Already suggested and is more of a pain than you'd believe.

Can do already... put the suckers in series. You'd really have to look at their voltages because your batteries would have to be up to it.

vortextwist
10-20-2007, 05:42 PM
erv, any idea on when a new batch can be ready? :)

Angelus Lupus
10-21-2007, 04:42 AM
erv, any idea on when a new batch can be ready?

He said on the 10th:

I've started the manufacturing of the PCBs yesterday, I'll got them in 2 weeks.

Barmic Rin
10-21-2007, 06:26 AM
So that works out around payday...... Hmmmm...... That means...... I can do something involving those CF I want and monies....... I'll have to have a think about this.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lets hope he has enough for me to get the two I need!

Changing the subject slightly, anyone recommend a way of securing my V1 into my graflex once my converter from Tim arrives?
I'm using bubblewrap whilst it's in my MHS, but when I upgrade that to V2 & stick my 1 in graf I want it a tad more secure.
May just wait til it all arrives then look at it, but if anyone has ideas i'll be glad to hear about them. (please pm them to me as I don't want this to go off topic)

vortextwist
10-21-2007, 06:58 AM
awsome thanks lupus

Angelus Lupus
10-21-2007, 07:05 AM
No need to thank me, vortextwist, it's erv making these wonderfull boards we all want so much :)
And yes, Barmic, let's hope he has enough so that those of us who don't have one yet can get our grubby little hands on them!

orko
10-22-2007, 12:21 PM
whats the availability like on these boards, are however many your going to have spoken for already, is there a presale list i need to get on..... who do i have to kill to get one....lol 8)

Barmic Rin
10-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Who do you have to kill?
Well, Erv usually sends this guy round to your house:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/03/entertainment_lord_of_the_rings_exhibition/img/1.jpg

You are armed with this to battle him with:

http://www.samanthaflower.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/imgpages/1080_FruitObjectBrocolli002.gif/$file/FruitObjectBrocolli002.gif

If you live, then maybe Erv will let you by one. Maybe.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, just talk to Erv, though it is usually First come, first served.

orko
10-22-2007, 12:40 PM
well since you put it that way.........lmfao..... ill talk to erv

Angelus Lupus
10-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Erv doesn't like to do pre-orders so there isn't a waiting list. Bassed on what he's said recently we're expecting a few boards sometime this week.
As for who you have to kill to get one? Me, Barmic and quite a few other people, I think.

Edit: Ah so that's how you're seeing off the competition, Barmic :)

Sky_Million
10-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Don't hound Erv' too much, he'll get frustrated and quit making them! Ahhh! The dude is super busy.

Orko: Just keep an eye on the Crystal Focus boards on Erv's site www.plecterlabs.com and when the quantity doesn't say "0", order as fast as you can type!

I had also wondered about a waiting list or something, but it was definitely a lot more fun to snatch and grab when one came available. Reminds me of news footage for Christmas sales, everyone trampling each other! At least Erv' isn't asking $600 like a frikkin iPhone.

vortextwist
10-22-2007, 02:36 PM
i want to get another but I havn't even installed the one I have. :oops:

xwingband
10-22-2007, 03:03 PM
i want to get another but I havn't even installed the one I have. :oops:

Never stopped me!

I'll be getting one out of the next batch. Maybe two... we'll see.

GFORCE13
10-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Wow Erv has done it again, Impressive most Impressive. 8)

valeon
10-26-2007, 02:11 PM
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/482218/2/istockphoto_482218_corn_on_the_cob.jpg
Would this also be acceptable for fighting said beast?

Jonitus
10-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Nyet. Corn can be used like a spear for the poking of said beast. Nay, thou must use provided broccoli to battle the troll.

erv
10-30-2007, 03:05 AM
hey there,
I appologize, I feel like I'm staying in my cave those days.
okay, what's up :
- I have the PCBs in hand
- I have ordered all the parts TODAY
- I'll get them tomorrow
- we have holiday thurday + friday + the WE
- I'll start making boards like tomorrow or something.

As soon as they are advanced enough, I open the stock, notify customers thru the website (now it works) and post here. I know, it's been a long time, but I've decided to be the perfect selfish and work a bit on my own props for the last couple of weeks :wink:
The code of V3 is there, let's say 99.9%. I just want to make sure it works perfect.
Hence, when I'll open the stock on the website, feel free to order, but allow like 2 or 3 weeks (max) for the shipping. I'm going to pay extra care to those boards and it takes times to test them individually.
Why ? :
- new motion sensor, harder to solder, requires extra care
- new firmware to be tested under special hard conditions
- new PCB : despite it's like 98% enherited from the previous version, you never know, it's a new batch, with its potential set of surprises.

Blaster core will come out at the same moment, for those who are interested.
In the meanwhile, if you want to see on what I've spend some time, recently... It's not about SW or sabers but :
http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=39&language=en

About Foie Gras :
the definition has been given : goose (or duck) liver, exactly. The thing is that it's kind of illicit to import in the US, despite you can find some anyway. That's why I choose that, and also because xmas is coming close and that a meal you enjoy at that time.
It's expensive. While most of the people buy ready made foie gras, with the spice and preparation, I prefer to cook my own. You buy the liver, marinate it into cognac or whiskey with salt flower and pepper, then cook it in the oven with the technique of the "reflow" (just like SMDs on a circuit board :mrgreen: ). Preheat the oven to 180°C, put the ceramic mold that contains the foie gras, close and turn the oven off. Let it cook like that for a night.
To be eaten on white toast or country bread, with black cherry jam or oignons jam... or just with a bit of salt flower (fleur de sel, the best of the salt, thin and tasty) on top.
My mum says I liked it so much when I was a kid that I ate some for the breakfast, on xmas morning :wink:

I'm leaving now... I have a troll to feed (with broccoli... or course).
Erv'

Novastar
10-31-2007, 01:00 AM
As Duke would say... (quoting Bruce Campbell from Evil Dead)

"COME GET SOME!" :)

erv
10-31-2007, 04:09 AM
okay, got the parts. Except that some inductors are missing. Anyway, I can make a first batch of 15, hopefully, the rest for the end of november.
The new PCB has a different finish, and makes manual soldering easier. The power extenders look really nice, so tiny.
More soon !
Erv'

DACOTA
10-31-2007, 08:01 AM
Very cool! I cant wait to start getting into these boards,using them I mean.

Its the best board ever! 8) :P

Ghostbat
10-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Is there a waiting list we can get on or is it a mad dash once we find out they are available?

erv
10-31-2007, 10:23 AM
mad dash, definitly,
now it's time to kick a... ahem to grow up some broccoli. Welcome to the coliseum, my friends :roll: :wink:
Erv'

defyitall
11-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Man, I can't say if I've been this excited about a piece of electronic component ever. I'm doing a little dance in my chair right now.

Novastar
11-04-2007, 10:44 PM
There are 200+ saber attacks/defenses/moves that are anxiously awaiting v3 of CF...

...and that's just *ONE* battle in BOP III... :)

Marsupial
11-05-2007, 11:08 AM
erv, I'm happy to see the version you made of the M41a pulse rifle. I posted on www.colonialmarines.ca about it, word will spread over the Aliens Legacy quick ennough :)

what's the next step? Ghostbusters proton pack soundboard? :)

erv
11-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey ! thanks for the comment ! I'm glad you like it ! I've just received my stickers for the PR case but... I'm pretty disapointed. Not by the white big ones, but the small with graphics, it looks like some poor resolution graphic has been used instead of vector stuff and the mixture looks ugly. I'll have to make those nomenclature stickers myself, I'm afraid.
I've already posted on alienslegacy forum, by the way. It's a bit early to state that, but it seems that my rifle will be PR of the month at M41A.com :roll:
oh.. actually, checking the website, well here I am :D

The next step ? an alien motion tracker ! I've been able to put my hand on a nice old kit on ebay with all the parts molded from the original. It will have some real motion sensors, probably ultra sound and PIR detector, a graphic display (like blaster core, bigger screen) and a GPS head to REALLY display coordinates, heading direction & speed and outdoor interaction for "finding aliens" (outdoors only to catch a bunch of satellites).
But in the meanwhile I have to build up my milenium falcon model with sound and light.
Erv'

Marsupial
11-06-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't post on Aliens Legacy - there's way too many forums to follow, I can't do them all, and most AL guys cross-read over the canadian board anyway.

If you haven't read, the comments are very positives on colonialmarines.ca

I'll most likely be interested in incorporating one kit in some blaster or pulse rifl some day... if I get around being able to order one ;)

Will you be looking to sell motion tracker kits?

let me know how the sticker making goes.

erv
11-08-2007, 12:33 AM
The marvels of customer support. This time I'm loosing my nerves.
Just to warn anyone who would send me that _again_ for repair : I send it back to the customer without touching it, and with a paypal invoice for the shipping. I have some sense of humor, but it's kind of limited when people are wasting my time...
http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/MarvellousCustomerSupport.jpg

now back on topic

valeon
11-08-2007, 12:54 AM
THAT. IS. SICKENING.
Wow Erv, I don't blame you for sending that one back, I wouldn't deal with it either.

Darth Morbius
11-08-2007, 12:59 AM
:shock: What in the name of the gods is THAT monstrosity?!!! :shock:

WTF?

Did a chimpanzee do that.... Wait chimps are smarter! :?

Oh my....

I am so sorry Erv... I promise you that was NOT mine!

I am at a loss for words there!

The one that did that deserves a good draw and quarter! :twisted:

pipster79
11-08-2007, 01:22 AM
holly...what a pile of spaggetti, y r thre so many wires? and what sloppy work...pig tail connections? ewwwww, supose someone never herd of solder and srink wrap. looks like a whole roll of electrical tape used in that. i am ashamed for whoever wasted your time with that monstrosety erv

whoever sent that should never touch anything electronic again

valeon
11-08-2007, 01:24 AM
What the HECK are all the quick disconnects for? Things like this shouldn't be shown to the public erv, your running a risk of burning out some eyes.

Darth Morbius
11-08-2007, 01:28 AM
holly...what a pile of spaggetti, y r thre so many wires? and what sloppy work...pig tail connections? ewwwww, supose someone never herd of solder and srink wrap. looks like a whole roll of electrical tape used in that. i am ashamed for whoever wasted your time with that monstrosety erv

Apparently they had seen solder and shrink wrap...

Look at the battery connector on the one on the left...

A nicely done connection... Even shrink wrapped... Must have been a second-hand board or something... :lol:

That is some serious hack-job wiring! Look... there's even HOT GLUE holding some of it together!

:roll:

pipster79
11-08-2007, 01:32 AM
ya i can see the connections by the battery plug were actualy done right, so someone else must have done that, not whoever did the rest of that mess

erv
11-08-2007, 01:57 AM
yep, I'm the one that soldered the battery connections (that's why...). Oh, not to mention it's the second time it comes back to me. First time looked like that too, more or less. I rewired EVERYTHING using my nice color wire, and it's back with ugly wire again...

pipster79
11-08-2007, 02:01 AM
whats wrong with that person, if you fixed it for them once, y would they do that again? do you think there playing a joke on you?

Darth Morbius
11-08-2007, 02:06 AM
Erv... You should send them an MR board... and tell them best of luck...

Seriously!

If that's the second time... Sheesh... That person has NO business building sabers. :shock:

pipster79
11-08-2007, 02:10 AM
that person definitly has no business touching anything with wires, let alone build sabers

neophyl
11-08-2007, 05:00 AM
Thats quite possibly the worst wiring job Ive ever seen.
The only consolation I can see is at least you know its not down to anything in either the design or your own work Erv, just end user stupidity.

Personally Id let them know that if it came back a third time Id charge them for the repair work etc.

Btw do you want the motion tracker sounds I have ?

xwingband
11-08-2007, 05:27 AM
OMG... what an abortion. Why would someone spend the money and obviously not know what they are doing.

TWO of them no less! You should sell them at a discount to whoever's willing to deal with the tape. :twisted:

Jonitus
11-08-2007, 06:20 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!!1!!11

Erv, I think you could easily have that picture on your website as an example of how NOT to wire!

Obviously, someone has more money than brains. Did you send the customer the link to your soldering tutorial as well as the invoice?

If that were me, I'd charge $75 per hour to fix that mess and wire things the right way.

Angelus Lupus
11-08-2007, 06:24 AM
What a terrible thing to do to such a great board. There ought to be an inteligence test before people are allowed near a Crystal Focus.

erv
11-08-2007, 07:24 AM
the bill is going to be terrible, for sure. Might cost the price of one board, at the end... The person said that "he left the wires cause he thought it would help me to repair the board". He swares that he's not treating the boards that bad once in the hilt. He's... experimenting, and tape is the fastest way cause he's always unwiring everything... *sight*

quick update : the CF batch is going well, I'm almost done with 26 of them. The trickiest part still has to be done : soldering the motion sensors (16 leads on a square of 4 mm). The new capacitors are really nice and low profile, easier to shove in the hilt. Btw, you can replace the stock ones on the older versions of CF, just use a pair of 100 µF (micro farad) / 16V tantallum smd capacitor.
Erv'

Vazan Maceu
11-08-2007, 07:25 AM
You know, I´m dying to put my hands on one of those boards... And then I go and see somebody making a mess like that with one of them and, on top of that, expect Erv to fix it. Talk about waste and annoyance :roll:

Angelus Lupus
11-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Experimenting? I just don't understand that at all. No-one who has read the manual should be able to create a mess like that.
I read it many times, plus I'm getting a friend who knows how to solder to help/teach me when I put mine together.

xwingband
11-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Experimenting is what probes and alligator clipped leads were meant for. He's got quick disconnects on there too... *sigh*

Maliki Skywalker
11-08-2007, 09:01 AM
THAT POOR CF BOARD! :cry: GOD DAM THAT MAKES ME ANGRY! :x

Ghostbat
11-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Wow... i think I would have to elevate that to the level of art, nobody could do that without it being on purpose could they? Please tell me they couldn't?

pipster79
11-08-2007, 10:35 AM
i had to experiment with mine a bit to get it to work with the led strip light rather then the luxeon led, but i never had a mess like that, i soldered each time and was always clean connetions...thats just uncalled for, there is no need no matter what ur experimenting with for a huge bowl of spaggetti like that and dirty dirty connections all over the place

pipster79
11-08-2007, 10:41 AM
hey erv if the customer doesnt want to pay for it and u wanna get rid of it pm me and give me a price, ill actuly put it to good use, i got a graflex luxeon saber that would love to meet it :) well that is without the spaggetti...just the board

Barmic Rin
11-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Is that an entry for some sort of Art prize?

That is horrendous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a saber off of someone that no longer posts on here, opened it up, and the wiring just fell out, it was so bad!!!!
The soldering looked like they'd covered Peas in solder and wrapped masking tape around the connections to hide them, BUT THIS TOPS THAT!!!!!!

I say we hunt them down! That is just cruel what they have done!
Some people are just ungrateful for what they have! :cry:

Erv, there's plenty of people on here that'd give it a new home *hint hint!* :wink:

erv
11-08-2007, 12:17 PM
I totally forgot... One of those 2 actually came back before. It was the volcano version of CF. I even took a picture since I couldn't believe it. A chip was burnt so hard that it vanished totally and left a smoking hole in the PCB. I wasn't sure, so I finally opened the tape wrapping of the board, my GF laughting close to me. And this is it, it's the one.
Last time, here is how it looked like. It did not take long to find it in my photo archive, it was called "friedCF"
http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/FriedCF3_web.jpg

The reason that time was polarity inversion. or "how to turn a CF into a smoke signal communicator". To connect the batt pack the same person used two 9V PP3 battery coupler "mummy into daddy"... without swapping the colors. Since you cross, you must swap the polarity otherwise... you get that...

Angelus Lupus
11-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, that's some Grade A stupidity there. :shock:
I'd be concerned about letting that person touch even a completed saber, nevermind putting one together.

Tom Starkiller
11-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Well, that's some Grade A stupidity there. :shock:
I'd be concerned about letting that person touch even a completed saber, nevermind putting one together.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This doesn't belong to one of you guys does it? Afraid to post any where, because if so, You are NEVER touching my lightsaber (When I get one).

And by the powers that be I hope you ain't an electrician.

Novastar
11-08-2007, 01:42 PM
:shock:

I don't post for bloody ONE OR TWO DAYS...
... and THIS is what people are sending to Erv???!!! Ok. Novastar, breathe. Breathe.

But.... no. Tirade time. :evil:

WHOEVER YOU PEOPLE ARE, show some ******* respect to Erv, will ya?!! It's just an insult to send that intestinal section of diarrhea wiring and a board where the chip has essentially been pooped on and set aflame for so long a microchip COMPLETELY disintegrated! There is just NO excuse. NOOOOOO excuse. Not even for someone with basic wiring knowledge.

I mean, what's one of the most important things to understand before buying a CF...

well...

BEING ABLE TO ******** WIRE IT!

And don't be sending that garbage back and expect it for free... what the hull kind of respect is THAT? Look... I understand all too well about being new to wiring... but I have never done anything like those two things before, and... ... *SIGH*

.... meh. Ok... whatever. :roll:

I guess these people are trying their best. ANd they're learning. I guess. Whatever. :roll:

Maliki Skywalker
11-08-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm with Nova on this one, such a waist of Erv's time, send the **** back to him Erv' or charge for a new board :twisted:

ArkaiHalon
11-08-2007, 02:03 PM
I've been scrimping and saving to even attempt to try and buy a CF, and some !@$%!$!# has enough money to destroy 2 of them??? and sends it back to Erv to fix?

Erv, on behalf of all sabernerds everywhere, you have my sincerest apologies and condolences. If you would like to provide me the name and address of this person, I will gladly introduce them to the business end of a "glowbat" (to quote Valeon)and beat the proper respect into them.

Darth Morbius
11-08-2007, 02:10 PM
:twisted: My thoughts EXACTLY Novastar! Couldn't have said it better myself!

This is the kind of thing that gives a bad name to the rest of us n00bs to the CF!

I may not have a lot of experience with erv's boards, but I know how to wire things properly, and use shrink tubing. I also posess enough knowledge to know that you MUST RTFM when working with electronic devices.

Seriously, my EIGHT YEAR OLD solders better than the meat-sack that raped those boards like that! (He's already converted 3 MR's to luxeon with my supervision).

I have to agree that actually utilizing those quick disconnects would have been the S-M-R-T (Homer Simpson reference) thing to do....

God this pisses me off to look at.

valeon
11-08-2007, 02:10 PM
I have to agree, that pisses me off more than anything, for the simple fact that there are alot of people that would KILL to get a CF board, and this dinkwad tries to cook his! Have some decency, honestly.
Erv, I wouldn't even send those back, I would send em a hasbro board and tell em to be lucky he even got that, cause I would be afraid to see what he would do with a MR board.

Novastar
11-08-2007, 02:12 PM
I declare three things:

1. I declare Jihad on that guy. (teasing)
2. I declare an official "state of disaster" within a 20-mile radius of wherever that piece-a-chit wiring is sitting.
3. I declare that the photo should be part of the TCSS 2008 calendar.... ORRRRRRR... it should go in a sticky of "what not to do" when building a saber.

*Sigh* Now I don't think I will *EVER* EVER EVVVVER accost myself for cruddy wiring. Never again. If I'm ever so hard on myself, I will look to that shining example of 50 jump-ropes in a duffle bag and remind myself... my wiring is quite acceptable.

valeon
11-08-2007, 02:20 PM
I have to stand up and say this. My wiring is not exactly "professional", but it is at the VERY least ORDERLY. I keep everything organized the best I POSSIBLY can with the tools that are given to me. Here is my simple solution for longer stretches of cable....ZIP-TIES. I generally don't use MR battery packs in my sabers so I have a battery pack of my own with a speaker attached to the end of it with hot glue. I keep everything there safe with a Film cannister, not only does it keep it nice, it also acts as a resonance chamber. Now, I have my battery packs hard wired to the board, all connections soldered and heat wrapped, after they are wrapped, i put a few zip ties to prevent cable clutter, the same thing I use inside a PC tower to keep things clean. NEVER EVER, EEEEVVVERRRR in my life would I let anything get that RETARDEDLY messy.

Kamurah
11-08-2007, 02:56 PM
....I'm at work, and cannot see the pics (@#$%# firewall!)....so I will have to look later...but...

I know I took EXTREME care wiring my CF. I didn't want ANYTHING to go wrong. I triple-checked EVERYTHING.

Not sure why anyone would go to the trouble and expense of purchasing one (or MORE) of Erv's boards without having a clear plan of action for its install.

...and I certainly wouldn't use it to 'experiment' with. A Hasbro maybe....but not a Crystal Focus.

Tom Starkiller
11-08-2007, 02:59 PM
I have to agree, that pisses me off more than anything, for the simple fact that there are alot of people that would KILL to get a CF board.

You got that right, it coulda been mine.

If I had the money and a saber to put it in.

Angelus Lupus
11-08-2007, 03:47 PM
To everyone willing to kill for a CF board: The creator of that POS is the perfect victim.

Sky_Million
11-08-2007, 04:52 PM
OMG, y'all are hilarious. This dude has takin' one Texas-sized azzchewin'. If he could get his saber working, he'd probably run it through his face. How in the FGDMF helz could you fit that into a hilt?! It must be the size of my thigh. Was this wired to a car battery I wonder? There should be a thread stickied somewhere to post pictures like this.

It's amazing that evolution hasn't eliminated these types....maybe soon.

ArkaiHalon
11-08-2007, 05:32 PM
I just went back and looked at that mess. and again, i must say
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/attachments/month_0603/wtf_cat.jpg.w300h371_HeOTTJstzM5Z.jpg

erv
11-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Ok folk, I think we have enough testimonial. He the person steps by here, he might understand I'm not the only one with minimum expectations of quality. We stop here for the throwing tomatoe competition :wink:

Now for the batch of crystal focus :

The is a sort of "problem" : everyone on this bloody planet want one. Some of them want even more than one. As a matter of fact, there are some saber makers that will use them in customer sabers. So logical.
If I open the stock of 25, it will die in 2 minutes. As an exception, I'm going to open the whole stock of what I have the parts for. It means there will be a delay for the people that order a big numbers of CF, first to be served will be the orders between 1 and 3 units, let's say. This way everyone has a chance to get a hand on a V3, we avoid the mad dash, the mud fight and the troll.
The big stock will around 50. Then I ask for your patience, you know that I'm building that by hand. I plan to complete all the shippings BEFORE christmas.
As soon as I start having a couple of boards that behave properly, I open the stock. Maybe in the WE. I'm going to check the email notification right now.

Well, I've done it in the meanwhile, the notification works GREAT.
More soon, back to soldering

Erv'
Erv'

xwingband
11-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Hmm... I was planning on three. I guess I can go first. :twisted:

I wonder who's eating up that many boards. I get plenty of inquiries for CF's but no one is ever solid enough for me to think of "stocking" a few. That's an expensive stock...

Notification worked great Erv! First time I actually got an e-mail for it.

erv
11-09-2007, 09:47 AM
okay, real time new update...
new accelerometers are a pain to solder. Spent a LONG time when testing a prototype, I was getting swings all the time. Figured out that the new motions sensors are 2.5 times more sensitive than the previous ones.
Decrease the overall sensitivity of the board, in the SD card config file. That's the beauty of it : compensating a hardware change with software.
Otherwise, it's working very well. Still a lot of work to solder them all.
Erv'

Ghostbat
11-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Have you ever thought of selling it in a kit form for the solder-savvy? Or would the support become to much of a nightmare?

pipster79
11-09-2007, 10:33 AM
id b interested in a diy solder kit myself, thats a good idea for those of us that can solder and can work with tiny terminals on boards, so long as it was enough of a discount from the already put together ones

erv
11-09-2007, 11:20 AM
you... don't want to solder it :wink:
I suggest you look at the picture of the item on the website, and scale it to 60x28 mm. Then you'll understand my answer :wink:
ERv'

Angelus Lupus
11-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Indeed, besides the price is worth it considering you're getting Erv's skills at putting it together, and great customer relations.

On a related note concerning soldering small things: I just got the 1260 LEDs you recommended Erv'. Now those are almost microscopic!

Ghostbat
11-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Yes, I would really rather buy them premade, there is some fiddly soldering in there including my least favorite, surface mounted ICs :)

I was mainly thinking that the people who are using these to make many sabers for sale are likely to have soldering skills and might think the savings of not paying for the labor was worth it. (and thus of course freeing up completed units for the rest of us.)

I do see that there could be the fun email from people who have just cooked half their board to deal with, that could be less than awesome.

Sky_Million
11-09-2007, 03:09 PM
I do see that there could be the fun email from people who have just cooked half their board to deal with, that could be less than awesome.

It would be nice for the DIY kit to free up Erv' from the labor and get more units out...but...if wiring can be such a difficulty for some, imagine soldering PCBs. I already see the line of people jumping the gun thinking "yeah, sure, I could do it" and then giving Erv' an ulcer.

neophyl
11-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Depending on the volume it might be worth Erv checking out how much to have the pcb manufacturer also solder most of the components on too with Erv just doing the finishing work and programming.

Sometimes it can be reasonable compared to the time saved, especially as it might be possible to wave solder it in one pass for most of the parts.

pipster79
11-09-2007, 04:11 PM
i know i could solder one, ive done many mod chips on the v1=7 of the ps2's anyone that knows those knows they arent fun, very very tiny work, most of wich i had to use a very sharp solderin iron and a magnifiying glass and light

Novastar
11-09-2007, 05:56 PM
We're all VERY lucky that Erv's soldering those new parts on... AND... that things are programmable so that yes indeed, we could do something like:

...v2.x config files swing sensing numbers
...divide by 2.5 or so
...plug in new numbers

Looking fwd to CF v3...

erv
11-10-2007, 04:23 AM
On a related note concerning soldering small things: I just got the 1260 LEDs you recommended Erv'. Now those are almost microscopic!

Just a minor correction : AL is talking about 1206 smd LED. Not the number he has order, it's the footprint. It indicated the size 3.2 mm x 1.6 mm. And : no, tweezer, magnifying glass, aspirin and patience pills are NOT provided with those :lol:
To give you an idea, I used to work with 0805 smd and now I use 0603 : 1.6 x 0.8 mm.

Neophyl is right : now it's time to think about manufacturing. I'll do that only for at least 100 units since there is a gap between 50 and 100. But it will double the cost price, but saves time. I have to see. The thing is that I'm facing the cost of ROHS (everything must be green, not what I'm doing at home). It's not wave soldering, but only reflow, boards are cooked. I need to ask for a new quote.

ok, I open the sales in the next 5 minutes, I have 4 boards running now.
Erv'

Angelus Lupus
11-10-2007, 06:02 AM
Yeah, I should have made that clear. Thankfully I'll have some help to solder those, although I may need a soldering iron with a finer tip.

Kamurah
11-10-2007, 06:35 AM
umm.....

Orders being taken on Plecter Labs site now for V3.....

Just in case anyone is interested ....lol

Let the mad rush begin!!!

:) :D :o

Maliki Skywalker
11-10-2007, 07:22 AM
10 CF boards gone in 3 hours!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Better hurry up before there all gone! :lol: :shock:

xwingband
11-10-2007, 07:52 AM
50 some boards is more than there has ever been... it WOULD be be interesting if they went as fast as normal though.

I got my order in. As usual I'm still futzing with older boards too. :lol: Erv's faster than my personal projects.

Maliki Skywalker
11-10-2007, 08:16 AM
There were 45 less then an hour ago, now theres 32!! :shock:

Jonitus
11-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Part of that is my doing. I made an order for 11 of them to secure boards for current and future projects (that have been deposit paid on).

Mmmm...11 Crystal Focus boards...mmmm.....

Vazan Maceu
11-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Ordered my CF V3 a moment ago. And just realized I forgot to order a speaker along with it :lol:

xwingband
11-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Part of that is my doing. I made an order for 11 of them to secure boards for current and future projects (that have been deposit paid on).

Mmmm...11 Crystal Focus boards...mmmm.....

holy crap... I haven't even gotten that many to inquire. I have more youtube videos up of CF boards than just about anyone besides Erv too. :shock:

I've gotten e-mails asking if I had extras too... No, I don't because no one ever fudging follows through so I've practically been buying for myself. I don't get people...

Ghostbat
11-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Now I have a race, my paycheck vs the current supply, I very much hope my paycheck wins, there was talk of it being a little early!

pipster79
11-10-2007, 09:45 AM
i hear ya ghostbat, i want one so bad but i live in canada and price with shipping is like 180 or somethig like that and i definitly cant afford one off of one pay check with all the bills and everything from normal life lol

not to mention i was sick this week and had a couple days off so my check was smaller :(

Tom Starkiller
11-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Now I have a race, my paycheck vs the current supply, I very much hope my paycheck wins, there was talk of it being a little early!

Walking out of the bank with a sack full of money isn't an early paycheck :evil: :roll: :wink:

Damn I wish I didn't have driving lessons to pay for.

Ah well, I'll hang in there for V4 (Hopefully)

Jonitus
11-10-2007, 09:47 AM
I only bought boards for those customers who have ponied up the 50% deposit on the commission. That offsets the cost of the board and shipping.

Admittedly, a couple of the 11 are for me, for my goodies, but through all this work, I think I deserve to have a kick-nuts saber too.

pipster79
11-10-2007, 09:49 AM
jonitus, do u think u may have a spare one to sell after you get them?

Jonitus
11-10-2007, 10:14 AM
I doubt it. Not unless someone decides to back out of their job with me (and they forfeit 25% of the total of the saber if they do), or unless someone changes their mind and wants to go to an Ultrasound instead of Erv's board (not likely, since there are no v1.0 to be had and a version 2.0 is not a sure thing anymore), or unless someone wants MR sound in their saber to save money.

Short story, it doesn't look good that I would have spares.

Novastar
11-10-2007, 10:36 AM
This is great news! Now look, all of you out there... I expect to see some VIDEO of you guys using your CF boards with a bunch of sound fonts in there!

Start a CF revolution, and post video of all the configurations you put into place...

...granted I know it will take some months to receive, wire up, load sounds/fonts/music, install and video everything...

:) Very cool!

defyitall
11-10-2007, 11:58 AM
w00t! Got mine. So now I think they are half gone. 25 left...

erv
11-10-2007, 12:12 PM
24... and still counting down... it's finally a mad dash. I opened the stocks like 7 hours ago... and I've discovered that 87 people were subscribers to the product notification...

Maliki Skywalker
11-10-2007, 12:21 PM
24... and still counting down... it's finally a mad dash. I opened the stocks like 7 hours ago... and I've discovered that 87 people were subscribers to the product notification...

Your doing amazingly well Erv! :shock: :D

24 and counting 8)

How far are you with droid core? I'm gunna have to get one for my power droid! :D

DarthFender
11-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Awesome!!! I'll finally have a saber with sound that doesn't suck! Thanks, Erv!

Novastar
11-10-2007, 05:23 PM
This is probably a good time to mention that (as far as I know), YES the "v2.x" sound fonts are indeed compatible with the new CF.

However--mise en garde folks--the newer config files *MAY* have shorter names for the variables, as Erv was trying to conserve space/memory I believe.

I could be wrong about this, but... I'm sure Erv will confirm all this when the v3 manual shows up.

I'll do my best to keep working on a few more sound fonts too. :)

Vazan Maceu
11-10-2007, 05:30 PM
I could be wrong about this, but... I'm sure Erv will confirm all this when the v3 manual shows up.

Quick reference guide and manual for CF v3 up at Erv´s site :wink:

Sky_Million
11-10-2007, 06:44 PM
This is probably a good time to mention that (as far as I know), YES the "v2.x" sound fonts are indeed compatible with the new CF.

However--mise en garde folks--the newer config files *MAY* have shorter names for the variables, as Erv was trying to conserve space/memory I believe.

I'll do my best to keep working on a few more sound fonts too. :)

Good point...yes...sound fonts all should work as usual, and Erv' did shorten parameter names to save SD space because of the recent addition of new parameters.

And Jedi Master Novastar: If you didn't keep working on new sound fonts.....who else could do it as well as you? ....Oh, and that donation is still going to make it to you, but.....it seems like my CF has been lost in the postal system. So I ordered another today. Best case....I'll end up getting both!

Novastar
11-10-2007, 07:54 PM
And Jedi Master Novastar: If you didn't keep working on new sound fonts.....who else could do it as well as you? ....Oh, and that donation is still going to make it to you, but.....it seems like my CF has been lost in the postal system. So I ordered another today. Best case....I'll end up getting both!Holy lost in the mail???!! Oh man. :( That is horrible. I sure hope it turns up someday, I am really sorry to hear that... grrr.

Makes me mad that some postal guy might lose buttered toast... :evil:

As to the sound fonts--well, in all fairness and in the spirit of what the threads are all about... I most CERTAINLY hope that more people continue to make fonts for CF. Just like I'd like to see more live LED "saber battle" performances out there. The more the merrier, and I'm sure people will get more creative and think of ideas I would have never come up with.

And THAT is the beauty of CF... :) Customizable with 100 or so options (and endless sounds) means... well... I wonder how many ways things can be configured???

erv
11-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Vazan : the board comes with a speaker you don't need to order one.

Droid Core : the prototype I've done for a customer is done and working. It is a card as big as blaster core (43x28mm) with a serial port input and I/Os. If you driver your R2 with a custom electronic board, you can use the serial port to trigger complex events. On the other side, it has an automated shuffle mode to select random sounds ( 75 total) and you can choose the delay (fix and random parts of the delay) in the configuration file.
You also have 25 action sounds and 25 misc. files (music, vocals etc), plus a boot sound. The I/O will be wired to either relays to trigger specific sounds thru the multi channel remote the builder are using, or to limit-switches to trigger specific actions (periscope in and out, front door, mechanical arm etc).

The V3 manual is there, not the quick ref card (but soon)

Erv'

erv
11-11-2007, 03:04 AM
funny, just got a mail from my website provider... "you have exceeded your monthly traffic quota".... I wonder why... :wink: :lol:
Just bought 10 gig of extra bandwidth for $2 :D

Novastar
11-11-2007, 04:36 AM
Droid core sounds DOPE!!!! SWEET! Cool. ;)

I can't imagine what I could use it for at the moment, but... I'm sure I'll think of something.

Maybe I can attach it to one of my cats. Yeah, one of my cats. I'll attach it to her collar, yeah right on her collar! :shock: :D

Angelus Lupus
11-11-2007, 06:43 AM
Ok, after hearing what Droid Core can do I wish I had enough skill to create something to use it in. (I'm thinking T3-M4 from KOTOR)

Oh and Novastar? You so crazy! :P

Vazan Maceu
11-11-2007, 06:48 AM
Vazan : the board comes with a speaker you don't need to order one.

Geez, that´s right... I forgot it with all the hurry to get the board :lol:

Thanks for the reminder erv :)

xwingband
11-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Droid core sounds neat. I say put a shock sensor! So when the droid bumps into things you get a sound!

I probably helped exceed the bandwidth more than my share. I was looking at the V3 manual plenty... and I downloaded all of the fonts (and default packages) so I could configure the V2.63 I'm working on.

Madcow
11-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Doh,
I was gonna do an R2 sound fornt for CF 2.63!
I may still do it for fun.

MC

Novastar
11-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Rob, the sounds are the sounds... you can "move" them to whatever version of CF you like--only a question of format and such later on. So chances are, we'll all find use for it!!

An example... I made the CF sound fonts for TWO reasons really... to show CF and share sounds... AND to have a myriad of sounds for BOP III available.

erv
11-13-2007, 03:39 AM
Force package (wav sound archive) online
thanks novastar

CF are... SOLD OUT ! In less than 3 days. I'm slowly starting to ship them, remember I have like 45 orders to clear, so please be patient.
Erv'

Ghostbat
11-13-2007, 09:07 AM
Blast!

I was watching the last few hoping there would be a lull and hoping my paycheck would be deposited early, sadly no and I return to playing the waiting game.

Marsupial
11-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Erv, when can we hope to see the next bunch available online?

erv
11-13-2007, 12:01 PM
honnestly, no idea... I first have to see how I can survive to soldering this batch... I'll add that I also have droid cores + blaster cores in the oven, 2 blasters to assemble, my millenium falcon and other cool projects... so...
Can't say :oops:

Angelus Lupus
11-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Looks like everyone has found out just how good your stuff is erv'. It must be very flattering to have sold out so quickly.

Novastar
11-13-2007, 03:21 PM
I was literally AMAZED.

"I've never seen anyone move that fast before." --Trinity

Marsupial
11-13-2007, 05:10 PM
honnestly, no idea... I first have to see how I can survive to soldering this batch... I'll add that I also have droid cores + blaster cores in the oven, 2 blasters to assemble, my millenium falcon and other cool projects... so...
Can't say :oops:

well.... let me know when you have some... I've been utterly unlucky about getting one.

gman666
11-14-2007, 07:42 PM
I was literally AMAZED.

"I've never seen anyone move that fast before." --Trinity

I am too. I saw 51 thought it was a mistake. Pay day was still 10 days off. I watched it dwindle until none were left. I too have to check and wait.

Thanks!

Greg

erv
11-15-2007, 02:27 AM
I promise I'll do my best to produce more in the future. Since now it's really stable I might move to mass manufacturing with batches of 100 boards, but it's still unsure.

What I can tell you is that I AM working on the current batch... true ! I sware... here what's on my desk !

Nova : I love this quote above, I'm a big fan of matrix too...

"we're gonna need CF... lots of CF" :wink:

http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/LoadsOfCrystalFocus.jpg

Ghostbat
11-15-2007, 09:48 AM
The sound you hear is a single tear rolling down my cheek :)

Just got paid today alas so many days too late.

Ah well, I have this plan to build my sabers with MR boards, when I am out of MR boards I will use Hasbro. Then when I can get a couple of these bad boys I will replace the boards in my favorites and use the now free lesser boards as an excuse to build more sabers :)

Maliki Skywalker
11-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Now thats a picture of real beauty :lol: A good batch coming along there Erv' hope we see Blaster core and Droid core soon! Keep up the awesome work!! :D

vortextwist
11-15-2007, 12:40 PM
that one on the left is MINE!!!!!

Tom Starkiller
11-15-2007, 01:28 PM
that one on the left is MINE!!!!!

Then the one on top is mine!!

Anyone wanna give me some money? :roll: :P

Sky_Million
11-15-2007, 02:47 PM

"Unfortunately, no one can be told...what Buttered Toast is......they just have to see it for themself."

Kamurah
11-15-2007, 03:15 PM

"Unfortunately, no one can be told...what Buttered Toast is......they just have to see it for themself."

"I love French wine, like I the French Saber builders. I have sampled every Luxeon Driver, and the French one is my favorite. Fantastic Card, especially to duel with. It's like wiping your arse with silk. I love it...."
:D

Maliki Skywalker
11-16-2007, 01:05 AM
Everyone deserves a peice of Butterd Toast, but Erv@ ran out of toast :( :lol: The middle one is mine. :twisted:

Novastar
11-16-2007, 01:50 AM
http://www.plecterlabs.com/Media/LoadsOfCrystalFocus.jpg

Neo: "He's found a way to copy himself."
Morpheus: "So now there are more of him..."
Neo: "LOTS more."

8)

Wu-Li Ruwashii
11-17-2007, 01:51 PM
erv (or nova, or anyone for that matter), i have a question.

i just ordered my cf and have two switches available for use, one latching and one momentary. if i want to use the momentary for the power on/off, can i use the latching (standard push button as found here at TCSS) as the aux. switch?

TimeRender
11-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Nope. The aux switch has to be momentary.

Sky_Million
11-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Hmm...why? The aux switch should be the momentary since some of the functions depend on how long you hold it down. (Blaster deflect, lockup, reboot, confirm, whatever). I'm guessing you just want to use a momentary as your on/off and use what you have left for the aux. Not sure if you could even use a latching...switching on for three seconds...then off...sounds weird. Why not just go to Radio Shack and pick up another momentary? I got some sweet micros today, in fact and they cost almost nothing.

Maybe someone has experience using a latching for the aux? This is just my two cents.

xwingband
11-17-2007, 02:11 PM
you COULD but it'd be totally messed up. You'd need to double click to get the momentary action... and I think you can forget the force push. It's already a bit of a learning curve to get it even with the correct switch.

Angelus Lupus
11-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Why not just use the latching for the on/off and the momentary for the aux?

Wu-Li Ruwashii
11-17-2007, 03:35 PM
i'll use the latching for the on/off then and momentary for the aux.

Novastar
11-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Latching for on/off + momentary for aux + PLUS using the "APOP" Anti-power-off-protection that I suggested to Erv (and he implemented) is exceptionally cool.

It makes it extremely difficult to turn the saber off accidentally, and I imagine it must be even MORE difficult if you use a momentary + a momentary. It's massively cool. :)

All that being said--it WOULD indeed be VERY strange/difficult to use a latching switch for the multi-purpose auxiliary switch.

Altair
11-18-2007, 12:58 AM
Um, not to impose, but where can you get this board? I found it on ervs site, but i couldnt order it. Sorry if im barging in =/
and by the way, what is buttered toast? i know about the CF core, but buttered toast? O_o

Jay-gon Jinn
11-18-2007, 01:02 AM
You'd have to go read pages 1-10 to find out why it's called buttered toast. But it's the same thing, just a different knick name. You also have to be quick to get one, they sell out fast.

pipster79
11-18-2007, 01:02 AM
its another name for the cf

edit, looks like jay gon beat me to that lol

Jay-gon Jinn
11-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Actually the knickname came from this thread:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1034&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

It started with X-wing's post on the bottom of page 4.

I agree. I think Ultra's may bridge that gap. Probably won't have all the features of Erv's, but at least equal an MR on quality. I still like some of the stuff I can do with a hasbro though, and if I want Erv's can butter my toast in the morning.

Hopefully this what will come:
-Hasbro's with Corbin's are pretty versatile. I LIKE momentaries. The safety and only on when you press it is only possible with momentaries. Get rid of the clash sound on an Obi and it's pretty passable if mounted right.
-Ultra's middle of the road. Can handle good sound on LuxIII's to V's with very little icing on my cake. Slightly above the MR at least from what I hear because it will hande III's, V's and amperages for Red III's and K2's.
-Erv's can butter my toast.

It all fits brackets pretty well. $10-30 entry, $40-60 standard, and above $80+ butter my toast goodness. Sort of parallels the resistor, pucks, Corbin's ranges too.

erv
11-19-2007, 08:46 AM
just to inform you I continue to gently ship the CF. However, you have to know that we have a national strike here, started by public transports employees, and now it will move to Electricity, Post office and maybe more. Orders shipping might be delayed for that reason. Be patient, I haven't lost anything in 2 years (crossing fingers)
Erv'

Novastar
11-19-2007, 08:33 PM
omigosh Erv... sorry to hear that! That is no fun... although--I hope the workers get what they deserve out of the strike. FAIR pay, fair respect, etc.

Heaven knows, here in CA... I often feel like real estate/apartments/rent/etc. is WAAAAAAAY way waaaaaaaaay out of control...

erv
11-21-2007, 01:59 AM
Attention EVERYONE !

For those whom I've already shipped the CF, I've notice the the stock configuration file in sound bank3 (novastar soundfont) still has the "too sensitive" setting. If you use the board and find that it's trigger swings all the time and all alone, but only in this bank, it's "normal".

set the "i" parameter back to 0.70 like in the other banks. Sorry about that, a copy paste did not work. I'm updating the default sound package archive on the website right now.
Erv'

Kamurah
11-24-2007, 12:07 PM
CF V3.0 arrived in my mail today!!!!!

Happy Day Happy Day. Can't wait for the install!!!

Thanks for the fast delivery Erv. :D

Lord Maul
11-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Actually the knickname came from this thread:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1034&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

It started with X-wing's post on the bottom of page 4.

I agree. I think Ultra's may bridge that gap. Probably won't have all the features of Erv's, but at least equal an MR on quality. I still like some of the stuff I can do with a hasbro though, and if I want Erv's can butter my toast in the morning.

Hopefully this what will come:
-Hasbro's with Corbin's are pretty versatile. I LIKE momentaries. The safety and only on when you press it is only possible with momentaries. Get rid of the clash sound on an Obi and it's pretty passable if mounted right.
-Ultra's middle of the road. Can handle good sound on LuxIII's to V's with very little icing on my cake. Slightly above the MR at least from what I hear because it will hande III's, V's and amperages for Red III's and K2's.
-Erv's can butter my toast.

It all fits brackets pretty well. $10-30 entry, $40-60 standard, and above $80+ butter my toast goodness. Sort of parallels the resistor, pucks, Corbin's ranges too.

It actually started with Firebird's post. Xwing was the first to take up the nickname though.

EDIT---Found the post!

Taken from this thread (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1034&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45)

Ever since I saw that Tim's MR boards went out of stock this problem has been haunting me. I want decent sound for my saber, but I don't want it to cost just as much as it. That statement does not include those really neat set-ups that are wireless and butter your toast in the morning...

erv
11-24-2007, 01:49 PM
back to the gooood ol' days :wink:
I continue to ship, gently, but slowly,
kamura, glad it was delivered well ! Let us know how it goes with this V3 !
Erv'

Luke-SkyMarcher
11-26-2007, 06:15 PM
I got my CF today :D I wired it up bare bones (aux button, on/off switch, battery and speaker) to test it out. It works great, can't wait to get the rest of my parts to build my saber. I did run into something kind of strange in the iSaber mode... the aux button seemed to have no effect... just kept looping. I cut the power and rebooted it, and the momentary switch works fine... any Idea what's going on here?

erv
11-26-2007, 10:34 PM
what do you mean by "no effect" ? make sure the connexions are fine. In the default package, the module is configured with the "pause mode", meaning that the aux button short pressure just pause and resume the song.
6:32 AM here, stress drives me to test a CF + iSaber with my coffee... ahhh... it works as expected :D
Longer pressure skips the track (high beep), and a longer longer pressure (about 3 sec) reboots the module (you have to release it during the beep otherwise you'll enter the menu after it reboots).
What on/off switch are you using ? latching or momentary ?

Erv'

Stinky Bantha
11-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Well I got it wired up temporarily, and I'm having a little trouble. When I give power to the board I get the boot sound, but it's kind of garbled and sometimes it doesn't even play at all. Also, when I try to enter the menu, nothing happens. I think I might have a short somewhere, but I can't find it. Is the solder from the component next to the speaker pad (on top in this picture) supposed to touch the speaker pad?

http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/images/Image/electronique/CrystalFocusV2Web.jpg

Hasid Lafre
11-28-2007, 12:10 AM
I would guess no but we shal see what erv says.

Maliki Skywalker
11-28-2007, 12:50 AM
I thinking, would it be possible in the near future to have a Crystal Focus board which still has an SD card, Aux and possibly isaber but just one sound font like a Crystal Focus Junior? which would be cheaper but still has that sweet buttered toast print on it? and sticking it in the computer configuring and even being able to get a different sound font, it might be a bit of work but it would be good for budgeted builders and would most probably sell out fast and perhaps it could be smaller for padawan style sabers :D

What do you think Erv? a possibility for the future?

xwingband
11-28-2007, 06:14 AM
So the difference is programming for one font? That wouldn't be any cheaper at all...

Angelus Lupus
11-28-2007, 06:50 AM
If you want cheaper with just one sound font then the Ultra board is probably what you want. Granted it doesn't have the aux button functions, but the cost isless.
Alternatively you can ask around and see if people are upgrading from older versions of CF

Maliki Skywalker
11-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Thats a shame, but hey at least Erv' was kind enough to bring Crystal Focus into the world of saber building! :D

I'll stick to saving up, should be building my first saber after Christmas :P

Novastar
11-29-2007, 12:18 AM
v1.2 and versions like it (1.0, 1.1) allowed for only one sound font. However, TONS of options were not included yet.

The boards have always been sold for 100 Euro. I think it's fair since Erv is only one guy, working from his home, and constantly upgrading the product with a MYRIAD of new ideas... many of which all of us are often helping to contribute to Erv and CF.

As to "junior" versions... well, all in good time "older" CF boards will be floating around out there. People may wish to upgrade. So maybe they will sell a board for < 100 Euro and do X, Y and Z or whatever. Only a matter of time.

As for me, I don't see any harm in buying a vX.XX, only to find that in a few months--upgrades have occurred. This is part of us trying to help support Erv in order to BUILD more.

If "everyone waits" until... like... version NINE or whatever... how will Erv be able to afford to make more? :)

DACOTA
11-29-2007, 03:55 PM
I havent kept up with this topic so forgive me for the possibly obvious question. Its directed at erv but whoever can answer,thank you.

Its simple, do you have to have a kill switch for the cf ?, or can you just hardwire your batt pack to the board and just turn the saber on/off.

pipster79
11-29-2007, 03:58 PM
you can hard wire it if you want. but it will drain your batteries even when off

Sky_Million
11-29-2007, 04:01 PM
I havent kept up with this topic so forgive me for the possibly obvious question. Its directed at erv but whoever can answer,thank you.

Its simple, do you have to have a kill switch for the cf ?, or can you just hardwire your batt pack to the board and just turn the saber on/off.

CF will draw on your batteries whether your saber is on or off, but only 6mA, or 5mA as I've read somewhere...not like it matters b/w the two, it used to be 20mA in the earlier versions. The kill switch saves your batteries from sloooowwwly draining when your saber is off. In other words, it's an extremely good idea.

DACOTA
11-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Oh ok, thanks. :)

Sky_Million
11-29-2007, 04:14 PM
v1.2 and versions like it (1.0, 1.1) allowed for only one sound font. However, TONS of options were not included yet.

The boards have always been sold for 100 Euro. I think it's fair since Erv is only one guy, working from his home, and constantly upgrading the product with a MYRIAD of new ideas... many of which all of us are often helping to contribute to Erv and CF.

As to "junior" versions... well, all in good time "older" CF boards will be floating around out there. People may wish to upgrade. So maybe they will sell a board for < 100 Euro and do X, Y and Z or whatever. Only a matter of time.

As for me, I don't see any harm in buying a vX.XX, only to find that in a few months--upgrades have occurred. This is part of us trying to help support Erv in order to BUILD more.

If "everyone waits" until... like... version NINE or whatever... how will Erv be able to afford to make more? :)

Word. I jumped on a 2.61 happily knowing that someone else could have the 3.0. It will be interesting to see in the future which versions show up on eBay and whatnot. Maybe some trading can ensue for MHS parts that are hard to get!

Noting that Erv' continued the 100 euro price(110 for 3.0 I believe), I think that some American businesses could learn from this. Someone who builds something and sells it because he believes in it, because he loves it, draws more buyers. No need to jack up the price because demand has grown, although economics says different. Erv' makes one hell of a product, and he's one hell of a guy in my book!

valeon
11-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Erv, I do have to say, you are one REALLY cool guy. I don't know anyone else that has the technical expertise to do what you do, you certainly have a gift my friend.

Novastar
11-29-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm sure there are many with the technical expertise to create X or Y or Z... the DIFFERENCE is...

...Erv actually DID it.

Just like I can't even tell you how many people have said "BOP was neat, I could do better, wait until you see our fanfilm, it will be uber, way better than anything..." ... and take one wild guess whether they ever actually DO it. Rarely.

So yes... many people have the skills to do all sorts of things... only question is: WILL they? Or will they just yap about it?

Another great thing about Erv... *MAN* is he responsive/receptive to suggestions (good ones). Such as MadCow suggesting the instant on/off option and me thinking about the anti-power off thing...

Actually, I'm hoping to get Erv to add anti-power ON too! :) I figured, hey... neat to hand it to someone and say "go ahead, play around" and watch them fumble trying to get it to light up, hahahah.

Naturally, as an OPTION, never being forced to do it this way.

Vazan Maceu
11-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Got my CF 3.0 today!! I´ll test it this weekend. Now I need to finish any of my hilt projects so I have a place to use it in :lol:

erv
11-30-2007, 12:38 PM
hey, thanks for the kuddos ! I'm really happy I've built those. I have an electronic background since the age of 10 and that's my day job too. Gifted ? I don't know. For sure I've always loves hacking, building, disassembling stuff, and modifying it. But I really had to wait to be like 18 or 20 to be really able (with enough knowledge) to create my own electronic designs and ideas, without just being inspired by a circuit I've seen in a magazine !
I'm currently sweating a lot for assembling CF. 28 shipped, remaining 30+ SD cards formatted and filled with sound contents. Now, I'm programming and checking the card. I should have them all shipped by the end of next week.
Erv'

Luke-SkyMarcher
12-01-2007, 07:32 AM
what do you mean by "no effect" ? make sure the connexions are fine. In the default package, the module is configured with the "pause mode", meaning that the aux button short pressure just pause and resume the song.
6:32 AM here, stress drives me to test a CF + iSaber with my coffee... ahhh... it works as expected :D
Longer pressure skips the track (high beep), and a longer longer pressure (about 3 sec) reboots the module (you have to release it during the beep otherwise you'll enter the menu after it reboots).
What on/off switch are you using ? latching or momentary ?

Erv'

What I mean by "no effect" is that no pressure, short or long on the aux button does anything during the isaber mode; the tracks just keep on looping. The only way to make it stop is to use the kill switch (in my case, that's unplugging the battery) I'm using a latching on/off switch. It's not really a huge deal, though. The aux button works fine for everything else in every other area; rebooting, blaster, force push, etc. It's just in the isaber mode that nothing happens.

erv
12-01-2007, 08:18 AM
first : is the content of the SD unchanged, or did you change it ?
second : is this a version 3.0 that you have, or a 2.63 ?
I've tested both, on several borads, including my own saber.
No reason that it's looping in 3.0 with the default package, since there are 2 tracks, and loopmode is set to 0.
You should post here a pic of how you wired the board, that would help, also, please contact me directly by email.

Note for everyone : I have a pretty bad internet problem with my provider, I have like 5% of the regular bandwith and I can't access most sites. Please don't be mad at me if I don't anwser emails as often as usual. I hope this will be over soon.
Erv'

erv
12-01-2007, 09:59 AM
I've found, for the problem of Luke SkyMarcher

Second "problem" for the default package of crystal focus, the configuration file for iSaber has switch=2, meaning that it's setup for a momentary while ALL other soundfonts config are setup with switch=0, ie latching & normally closed switch.
I appologize for that, I'm going to fix the default package on the website.
Note : this time, it's not a bug :D

Erv'

Luke-SkyMarcher
12-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks, erv! It works just fine now :wink:

erv
12-01-2007, 10:37 AM
I love this kind of debug, especially when it's not about a bug :wink:
(I think troubleshooting is more appropriate here)

Glad it works, enjoy iSaber, Luke
(Believe it or not, I've just understood the joke for your board name... can't believe I've missed it all along... being in "english mode" when posting here is the reason, probably)
Erv'

Vazan Maceu
12-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Tested my CF 3.0 a couple of minutes ago... This little thing is really awesome!! I used a 1.5" long PVC pipe as a resonance chamber, and my, how loud this thing is... Considering it´s using the non-deluxe speaker, that is...

Awesome work, erv, really impressive :D

Hasid Lafre
12-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Some day I will have a saber worthy of using some buttered toast.

erv
12-04-2007, 11:55 AM
thanks !
just one thing : if you have a version 3.0, it comes with the deluxe speaker, the option of having the old one is over.
Erv'

Tested my CF 3.0 a couple of minutes ago... This little thing is really awesome!! I used a 1.5" long PVC pipe as a resonance chamber, and my, how loud this thing is... Considering it´s using the non-deluxe speaker, that is...

Awesome work, erv, really impressive :D

DarthFender
12-04-2007, 01:33 PM
just one thing : if you have a version 3.0, it comes with the deluxe speaker, the option of having the old one is over.

Erv,

The Force is strong with you.

You rock!

Vazan Maceu
12-04-2007, 03:57 PM

Then, I kneel in the long shadow of your excellence :)

erv
12-04-2007, 10:21 PM
that a beautiful sentence !
I'm only 1.71 m, and with the winter, the sun is really low, that helps creating a long shadow :wink:

Hasid Lafre
12-05-2007, 12:11 AM
remember a shadow can streach for miles. given enought light of course.

Vazan Maceu
12-05-2007, 07:26 AM
given enought light of course.

That´s our business here, isn´t it? :lol:

Barmic Rin
12-05-2007, 02:27 PM
I'll try to wear a hat or hood when casting long shadows, my head looks big enough as it is!

I'm just wondering why you'd want the old speaker? I love the new one!

Can I use the old one in my MR windu with the dead speaker, or is the wrong size?

Vazan Maceu
12-05-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm just wondering why you'd want the old speaker? I love the new one!

It was all a misunderstanding on my part... First I forgot that the card comes with a speaker, then thought that the speaker was the regular one, only to find out thanks to erv that it was actuallly the deluxe one... Can you say chain of misunderstandings? :lol:

Don´t know about the sound quality of the old speaker, but this one sure rocks... As I posted earlier, even with an improvised resonance chamber, it sounds terrific...

Barmic Rin
12-05-2007, 03:12 PM
I really should read up more now I have afew minutes to breath!!

Novastar
12-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Vazan, Erv's "older" speaker was nice, but yes, the newer one is basically better. Better diaphragm (for what sounds we're looking for overall), and better dynamic range.

However, seeing as Erv obviously had to find a good source for speakers with the beginning of CF v1, etc. -- those initial speakers were great... especially as he INCLUDED them with the product.

Ultimately, the better the dynamic range and the larger the speaker diameter (within reason) is the best choice. Add excellent resonance to that, and you've got one incredible amount of sound quality.

I'm glad to see that the "upgrades" have become the "standards"... :)

Novastar
12-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Hey folks... I'm having an issue with a v2.61, could use anyone's help (erv's too, hehhe). I already messaged Erv, but my hope is to share this issue to see if it's affected others:

V.261 strange error...

* Was working initially, but now...

* intial boot sound + long beep
* cannot change modes/sound banks
* saber can function/light in current mode, work ok
* when saber is on... the "tap momentary" works... but holding it down (lockup) is delayed for a LONNNNG time

Any ideas?

Remember, I have wired up two v1.2s and another identical v2.61 before, and those function just dandy.

I'm going to try another momentary switch, but--it's brand new, and I've used this type of switch many times before.

xwingband
12-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Hmmm... maybe a config error. You change anything since it started that?

Novastar
12-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Well, the strange thing is... it was working fine with the SD card right there in action... and then suddenly as I switched fonts... it beeped at me strangely (unexpected place for a beep) and now it's "stuck" that way!

Very odd... I've never encountered anything like it before with CF. I believe Erv and I will have to discuss to see what it is, but, I will try the following:

* Check all config.txt settings
* Re-do / re-format the whole SD thing
* Try the default "luxeonpackage" zip Erv normally provides

Other than that... I dunno! :)

EDIT: That is really odd. I tried the default package and it worked, then I RE-TRIED my package (which I checked but didn't change because it was literally flawless on 3 more inspections of EVERY file)... ... and it worked! Quoi???!! What the....?

Oh well... sometimes file structures are just... weird I guess!!! I mean... I don't get it. I didn't change anything! LOL! And I format EVERY time I put files on, or change things, so every time I do anything a format is standard practice. So... nothing changed... but SOMEthing changed!! ???

We'll see how it goes as I test more??? :shock:

erv
12-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Nova might have weird board, I met a couple of them. No worries, he's going to move to a 2.63 version, slightly different.

on another note : not throwing rocks or tomatoe but :
- don't wrap the board into vinyl tape

-DON'T WRAP the board into heatshriking tube. That was already not indicated for V2.x, but the new motion sensor is more sensitive to heat and mechanical stress. Don't read it wrong, it's really sturdy and the board will accept any kind of indirect vibrations or shock, just like when you are duelling with a saber.
However, a direct mechanical stress might unsolder it, not talking about the heat to retract a shrinking tube (> 100 °C).
First point : you don't need this if the hilt is well thought and built, using a craddle for instance. The board being glued on something, battery pack etc. In this situation, you might just need to isolate soldering pads with just a bit of hot glue.
Second point : my boards are dealing with 1.5 A and generate heat. I've seen a board that when back with the coil UNSOLDERED with heat because it was so wrapped that it was impossible for the heat to evacuate.
The motion sensor is soldered and glue, but it you apply heat + mechanical stress, then for sure it will stop working.

I guess I have to add that in the user's manual :wink:
Erv'

Novastar
12-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Agreed there! We should have a CF policy:

"Anti-mummification: Never mummify your board like Tutenkhamen or Ra Hotep. Doing so will lead to the opposite of what you seek--that is... preservation of your CF board!"

So yes... don't close it all up in tape!

One question Erv... someone else who has CF v3 asked me: is it possible to use a 2GB SD card, or is that too much? I know you've tested up to 1GB... and I also realize that 2GB is WAAAAAY too much to even hold the data (since 512MB will be sufficient for nearly everyone on v2 / v3)... but... what do you think?

erv
12-11-2007, 12:19 AM
I think neophil has tried a 2 Gig. Also, I think that most of the "old" sd card reader (mine included) work only up to 2 Go cards.
Erv'

erv
12-11-2007, 02:00 AM
Version 3.0 quick ref card is only with all the new parameters. Power Xtender micro board is online too.

Erv'

DarthFender
12-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Got CF 3.0 in the mail yesterday. Haven't installed it yet, but I did get a chance to bench test it. I just gotta say. You can watch it on youtube, but it's just not the same until you hear it up close and personal.

Awesome job Erv.
And Novastar, your sound fonts are incredible.

Novastar
12-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Well, post the link, Darth Fender... :) And glad you like the sound fonts. More to come in a while, especially since BOP III is now being pushed to 2009... ;(

But THAT is another topic!

Anyhow... this will give me more time to work on the sound fonts (since I won't be scrambling so hard on BOP III), and during my Xmas break, I plan to make & release as many as I can.

Thanks for the power Xtender item too, Erv! That looks like it will be really COOL when we can experiment with it!!

Novastar
12-13-2007, 12:14 AM
HOLIDAY POST:

Feelin' blue? Missed out on that last CF batch? Diffuser film giving you problems? Is that darn recharge port on the blink again? Are you bummed that BOP III has been bumped back??

Don't feel so bad. Keep your holiday cheer, my friend!!! Things could be worse, as you COULD have done... THIS with *TWO* CF boards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgYUqwG7BB8

Warning... the above video contains serious abuse of buttered electronics. Watch at your own risk. Not responsible for drinks shooting out of nostrils, nor pulled hair from follicles in frenzied frustration.

Happy holidays and New Year everyone... see you all in 2008. 8)

Hasid Lafre
12-13-2007, 06:41 AM
JESUS HUBERT FARNSWORTH CHRIST ON A POGOSTICK!

Novastar
12-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Yup. Those poor boards look as if they've been sodomized and gangbanged by Unicorns... with Chlamydia.

It's an awful bummer, but... Erv posted the photo some time ago. I just decided to get creative and have a little fun exploiting that electrical tape and quick-disconnect travesty.

Even Nova gets to poke fun at people SOMEtimes... :)

Vazan Maceu
12-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Every time I see those boards wasted like that... Geez, get to appreciate the hard work put into designing and assembling those boards, learn to value things...

And yeah, it has this funny side, too, Nova :D

pipster79
12-13-2007, 04:02 PM
im going to have nigtmares for a week again now after seeing that.
The horror is too much.

Thang god my cf is safely in my graflex, and far away from whomever wired up that monster of electrical tape, wire and quick connects.
The spaghetti man is evil...keep him away from your buttered toast at all cost

Novastar
12-14-2007, 10:40 PM
LOL @ "The Spaghetti Man"...

hahahh

hmm...

:?

Vazan Maceu
12-15-2007, 09:06 AM
The spaghetti man is evil...keep him away from your buttered toast at all cost

So, you heard it people: Butter your toast, put foie-gras on it, even olive oil with a little garlick and tomato rubbed on it... But no spaghetti please!! :lol:

DACOTA
12-15-2007, 08:21 PM
:shock: ---------------------------- :shock:

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
12-16-2007, 12:40 PM
I think those boards need to be confiscated and given to someone who will give them a good, safe home. Someone like... oh I don't know... um, how about me?

pipster79
12-16-2007, 02:37 PM
I think those boards need to be confiscated and given to someone who will give them a good, safe home. Someone like... oh I don't know... um, how about me?

I would give one a good home, and it would be treated right :)

Luke-SkyMarcher
01-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Well, I have now had more of a chance to test out my Crystal Focus, enjoying it very much. Since I've had a chance to play around with some things, I have a couple ideas for the next version.
First is the power off protection. I think a third option for that would be nice, (optional, of course) so that the power off protection would engage if you hit the aux button during power-up, but otherwise would not. That way you can choose upon power-up whether or not to "lock" your saber on. This thought occurred to me when I was showing it off over the holidays and had people turning it on and then puzzling as to why it wouldn't turn off, lol.

Second involves swings. It's a little complicated, and I'm not sure if it would work, just thought I'd toss it out there. Swings are getting pretty realistic as it is, I know, with shifting plus ordering your swings from 1 to 8 in intensity, but I had another idea... try to follow me here... With the gravity parameter, it seems that the board can "tell," to a limited degree, which way the saber is pointing (in the up and down directions, anyway) correct? Therefore, would it be possible for it to "tell" which way a swing was executed? For example, distinguish between a swing where the tip of the blade comes from near the floor to near your head, and a swing where the tip of the blade comes from near your head to near the floor. That way, swing sounds could be applied accordingly. I don't know if it would be possible, but I personally think it would aid in realism.

-Luke

DarthFender
01-06-2008, 09:54 PM
That way, swing sounds could be applied accordingly. I don't know if it would be possible, but I personally think it would aid in realism.

-Luke

I'm pretty sure it already does that. At least mine does. Swing up will pitch up, and swing down will pitch down. It's pretty cool. I gotta get me another of those things when they come back.

erv
01-12-2008, 05:29 AM
yep, using the pitch shifting is an option to help "coloring" the swing. As for knowing exactly during the swing itself if it's going up or down, I think it's doable, one more thing to had on my todo list
*writes it now*

Malaki Skywalker
01-12-2008, 05:45 AM
Theres so many things covered with CF, i don't think theres anything else to cover!? :lol:

erv
01-12-2008, 05:57 AM
Theres so many things covered with CF, i don't think theres anything else to cover!? :lol:

lol :mrgreen: true, it's pretty complete, but there's always little things that can be added ! thanks for the comment !

DACOTA
01-14-2008, 06:34 PM
You have done a great job Erv and I hope that somday soon I can get one of your boards for my ultimate custom grievous saber. You and the other awsome saber builders make me so jealous, but in a good way.

Hasid Lafre
01-14-2008, 08:56 PM
I had a couple ideas a couple weeks ago but forgot them a couple min ago when I went to type this, I may remember in a couple days.

Novastar
01-14-2008, 09:10 PM
There are most CERTAINLY CERTAINLY CERTAINLY more ideas out there.

Innovation verifies that almost every day... in almost any industry. I still envision many ideas that I once wanted to put in the Ns5 saber driver project I wanted to create... and although Erv has covered most everything I wanted to do... there are STILL those "tougher" ideas that remain open-ended.

Issues such as the brightest LEDs vs. Vf and battery size/voltage/current/capacity issues are the biggest limitations.

After all... there is very little stopping someone from creating a "24v" driver that powers some un-Godly LED... but that becomes a heat and size thing. Not so much innovation per se.

Remember: There ARE "brighter" LED setups than Luxeon. Just NOT when you compare them on a ratio for forward voltage to size to lumens/brightness!

Hasid Lafre
01-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Oh I remember now.

Is there any way to get the idel draw a lot smaller?

Eather that or my brother has a bad battery pack.

erv
01-14-2008, 10:20 PM
on the current version it's down to 6 mA I think. It's hard to calculate exactly, but it can stay on the shelf 20 days or more. Then if you are really putting it on the shelf for a long time, just put the contact key back.
On an con, I basically never put the key back the whole day and might even not recharge at night.
This is for version 2.x, it's true that version 1.x is using 20 mA in idle.

Malaki Skywalker
01-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Well i have an idea, it may have been thought of before. But i was thinking, if isaber and a sound font could be put together, which could be a selectable option of coarse, just for fun and practice or pretending to relive battle from the movies. But the only thing would be the song would have to be less louder then the actual sound font. Its probably been and gone :lol: but it was just a little idea I've had for a little while, being able to play Carl Douglas - Kung Fu fighting with the Kung Fu sound font :lol:

So has i been thought of already? :lol:

erv
01-15-2008, 01:25 AM
unfortunatly, crystal focus is a monophonic device, 2 audio sources cannot be mixed together in real time with that system

Hasid Lafre
01-15-2008, 11:55 AM
but couldent you put say a background sound in a sound font like vaders march?

erv
01-15-2008, 12:38 PM
but couldent you put say a background sound in a sound font like vaders march?

premixing works only with a looped sound... even for the kungfu sound font, it's been hard to implement, nova had to do everything manually... the imperial march is everything except a looped sound, it a complete song.
Erv'

Luke-SkyMarcher
01-17-2008, 03:57 PM
There are certainly more ideas, I have a few myself.
I was thinking about that directional sensing, and thought it would probably be easier to modify the sound than to have a pre-made sound selected for it... so that (for example) the last 1/4 of the sound would be sped up or slowed down a certain percentage, depending on angle... just a thought.

The other two ideas I have involve blade flicker.
As I understand it right now, you can either have random flicker or pulsing. I was thinking it would be nice to be able to combine them. For example, you could have a very slow, not very deep pulse, and within that you could have a much faster flicker... or even the other way around.

The other idea is that I think it would be neat to have an option for the blade flicker to speed up on swing. (listening to the ancient saber sound font gave me that idea, actually).

If I think of any more, I'll try to let you know.:D

-Luke

DarthFender
01-17-2008, 04:20 PM
The other idea is that I think it would be neat to have an option for the blade flicker to speed up on swing. (listening to the ancient saber sound font gave me that idea, actually).

I was actually thinking of a feature to turn off the pulse/flicker during swings. That type of feature is really for beauty shots anyway. Like in the movies. You only notice the pulse in the slow action closeups. That could work -- to have a separately configurable "swing flicker/pulse rate". For thouse who would flicker faster and those who would flicker not at all.

Just a thought.

Novastar
01-21-2008, 06:24 AM
I think Erv might enjoy the possibility of driving multiple LEDs in the distant future (when LED "triads" become more popular)... in which case some of the following things would be possible...

These are some of the ideas I was hoping to put in the Ns5 board I wanted to make (which couldn't be launched due to it being WAAAY too expensive for me):

* Driving for up to 4 individual HIGH-powered LEDs
* Separate current and/or voltage choices for each LED
* Separate sequencing/driving for each LED--each can flicker for a bit, then pulse, go random, or be solid... programmable like the v3 indicator LEDs... :)
* Same control during clash... on... off... swing... lockup... blaster (sound 1)... force(sound 2)...

A more "central" LED could be a solid white (or color) for the core, while the other two LEDs could be commanded to flicker and/or pulse. Or they could all function "together"... up to the options.

I think this programming or configurability is possible given what Erv has already done--it would need overall revamping, but... could be done!

DACOTA
01-21-2008, 01:42 PM
I have a question regarding the use of two luxeon k2 's with the cf 3.0. I was wondering if it can handle running two of these at the same time while the leds being powered at the typical rate. Any insight?

Novastar
01-22-2008, 02:40 AM
Like any kind of LED "driver", whether resistor, FX, Ultra or CF... you can absolutely run two LEDs at the same time.

The questions/concerns are:

1. What specific LEDs? K2s that are "light side" are happiest @ 1500ma. K2s that are "dark side" are happiest @700ma. Well, which is it there young feller?? :)

2. Are you planning to "split" the current for the LEDs... or have them "share" the current?

3. Battery solution?

It's all about current, batteries, and whether or not you'll be running in parallel or serial. It is indeed possible though.

DACOTA
01-25-2008, 12:37 PM
I was thinkin a couple of green k2's with a 4 AAA rechargable pack, cf 3.0, and a recharge port. I was going to run them off the same led contacts on the cf 3.0, just soldering the second k2 to the alternative solder pads on the k2, so they would be sharing the same current.

Hehe,young feller.

Hasid Lafre
01-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Any way to set it up so that when you change sound fonts you dont have to make a new menu font for the sound bank title.

xwingband
01-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Any way to set it up so that when you change sound fonts you dont have to make a new menu font for the sound bank title.

Make the names generic and just remember them?

Hasid Lafre
01-27-2008, 03:43 AM
I wonder if theres a possability for the led to flicker when you turn it on.

Like take the anchant saber font for instence, Its got the soundlike its sturggling to turn on so I think it would be more of an anchant saber if the led would pulse when you turn it on and off.

erv
01-28-2008, 04:29 AM
it's been asked a couple of times, unfortunatly it's not possible. Understanding of course that it's a bit strange that it fades in with a clean ramp then only start flickering. I could do a trick, but it won't be generic enough, so for now, it stays this way.

menu thing : no real solution. Making the menu isn't difficult, and the best of course is to make a generic one. Otherwise, you don't HAVE to redo the menu per se, it's not like it's going to bug.
I think I shoud provide quickly a generic menu, though. Simple enough to make for me or nova, just saying "accessing" and bank1, bank2.... i-saber etc
Personnally, I've always decided the sound fonts I wanted to have in the saber, then build up the menu and changed it... well not totally true : I have spare SD cards for telum infensus and if I feel like playing other soundfonts, I just swap the SD cards, each one having its own menu.

luke skymarcher : good ideas. However, I'll join the remark that says the flickering effect (or this kind of effect) is almost invisible when the blade is moving, so with a swing, it does not help. With the clash, you get a shimmering effect, which is more abrupt and really help the blade impact perception.

I wonder if theres a possability for the led to flicker when you turn it on.

Like take the anchant saber font for instence, Its got the soundlike its sturggling to turn on so I think it would be more of an anchant saber if the led would pulse when you turn it on and off.

on another note, the PCBs are on the way, they should hit my desk on the 8th of feb.
I have most of the parts and this batch will be 60 boards. I should get my hot air soldering station this afternoon so that I can train myself.

And finally, I've finished the translation of my sound font tutorial, I hope it's detailed enough:
Sound Font tutorial (http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=47&language=en)

DarthFender
01-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Excellent tutorial, Erv. Thanks. We all appreciate the time you put into this.

vortextwist
01-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I may have to read more later, that little bit hurt my brain! :(

Novastar
01-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Regarding the menu sound fonts, I can make some of the ones I've created available via Erv's site... but I don't know if people even really care. Most people want to do their own menu sounds. :)

What I essentially do is give the font a "voice" or persona, say its name (obviously), and mix in some sound from the font in a fun and "identifying" way. This also brings more life to the saber overall, as you don't have some boring "font 1", "font 2", etc. going on.

Additionally, what with Erv adding in the v3 "background music/ambiance" sound that can be used when you are IN the menu mode... you really can have a nice feel for the dynamics of the saber.

Finally, I made the boot sounds sound more like they were "accessing data" on the saber instead of repeating the sound font name.

This is just the way *I* chose to do things. Whether others would like that sort of organization... I've no idea.

Count Malik
01-28-2008, 05:33 PM
nice tutorial, wonder when Erv will make more CF, now I realy want one.

DarthFender
01-28-2008, 05:36 PM
nice tutorial, wonder when Erv will make more CF, now I realy want one.

His post said that he would have some in a couple of weeks. Check with his website.

vortextwist
01-28-2008, 07:36 PM
on another note, the PCBs are on the way, they should hit my desk on the 8th of feb.
I have most of the parts and this batch will be 60 boards. I should get my hot air soldering station this afternoon so that I can train myself.

Hopefully I'll have the money again since I gave my other board to my brother!

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
01-28-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm bummed. I've been selling stuff on Ebay to pay for a CF, but I had an unexpected car repair bill this month and I had to spend the money. I'll have to see what I can raise in the next couple of weeks.

Hasid Lafre
01-28-2008, 11:09 PM
YEah, I just need a lukebox and pommel then I can put it togeather finally. But I need to sell somethings.

erv
01-29-2008, 08:07 AM
to answer the ETA question above, for crystal focus, I'd say early march, maybe earlier.
The PCBs are supposed to leave the factory on feb the 6th. 2 days of shipping, I'll start the assembly around the 8 or 9th. If I have enough free time, and since I'll be working remotely from home, I should be able to make this batch faster than before.
Erv'

DarthFender
01-29-2008, 10:48 AM
to answer the ETA question above, for crystal focus, I'd say early march, maybe earlier.
The PCBs are supposed to leave the factory on feb the 6th. 2 days of shipping, I'll start the assembly around the 8 or 9th. If I have enough free time, and since I'll be working remotely from home, I should be able to make this batch faster than before.
Erv'

I shall have to strap myself down till then. Ha ha ha.