PDA

View Full Version : K2 wiring diagram

simi
03-24-2007, 04:01 AM
Are there are any wiring diagrams posted that show how to connect a K2 on a MR Windu ROTS sound board? I had it converted a while ago to a 3w Lux III so I could use the color disks to get a nice purple and have a removeable blade. From what I've read a white K2 puts out 130 lumens over the Lux III's 80. I think a possible upgrade like this would make the purple look a lot brighter. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

neophyl
03-24-2007, 04:09 AM
As a K2 star has exactly the same electrical connections as a 3w star then its just a case of simply swopping the leds. Be aware however that yuor 3w focussing optic wont fit the K2 without modification. You could as easily buy a K2 optic to go with the led.

I dont think you will see much difference though as the MR board cant supply enough current to drive a K2 led properly on its own. You would need something like the relay method or a puck driver to do it properly.

xwingband
03-24-2007, 06:11 AM
Are there are any wiring diagrams posted that show how to connect a K2 on a MR Windu ROTS sound board? I had it converted a while ago to a 3w Lux III so I could use the color disks to get a nice purple and have a removeable blade. From what I've read a white K2 puts out 130 lumens over the Lux III's 80. I think a possible upgrade like this would make the purple look a lot brighter. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

To the search function yo must go. The sound forum would help too. :wink: Many of us have done exactly that.

Ryma Mara
03-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Theres the relay route and the regular route, teh replay will supply full power to the k2 but if you do it like a regular setup it wont get full power but from what I have been toled it will still beat a 3w

Lord Maul
03-24-2007, 12:26 PM
even if you don't do a relay, it will be brighter than a three watt.

don't ask my why, but if you have a 3 watter and a k2 powered with the same batteries and everything, the k2 will be brighter. same thing with a 5 watter

SilentBob501
03-24-2007, 01:18 PM
I Pmed simi with a link to get the relay, and all the pictures and documentation of the previous threads on this topic.

xwingband
03-24-2007, 03:11 PM
I Pmed simi with a link to get the relay, and all the pictures and documentation of the previous threads on this topic.

Why??? I intentionally leave out links and posting pics. It will only lead to people coming in dumping a question and waiting for us to throw the answer to them. :?

Madcow
03-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Here's some pics/diagrams from my mace - K2 conversion.

http://preview.rpetkau.photosite.com/~photos/tn/3999342_1024.ts1157323592737.jpg

http://rpetkau.photosite.com/~photos/tn/4199644_1024.ts1157923052741.jpg

Erv has suggested a more reliable way to wire he relay - but I have not tried it yet.

MC

simi
03-24-2007, 06:22 PM
I did get SilentBob's wiring diagram for the K2 which is extremely helpful. The sound board for Mace looks identical to the ROTJ sound board so I can also do the same to it as well. I only need to find a website that sells a 5v relay. The link SilentBob sent me, http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/RLY-470/search/5VDC_SPDT_MINIATURE_RELAY_.html , is sold out. Does anyone know where I might get one elsewhere?

vortextwist
03-24-2007, 06:46 PM
I thought so too but everyone says that you can only relay the mace board. but with the way erv does it, it might work.

Hasid Lafre
06-01-2007, 11:11 AM
So without a relay on any mr board or anything altering of the wiring. Will a K2 on a MR board be brighter than a lux3 on an MR board?

xwingband
06-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Let's take green... that color's cool. Then assume a linear curve for the lumens. Also the 800mA as an estimate for the amperage getting to it.

80% of 80 lumens = 64 lumens

53% of 130 lumens = 69 lumens

That's not exact but if you were more exact it'd fall even more in the favor of the K2. The output curve is convex. That's why it's not that big of a deal that Erv runs the K2 at 1.3A... not that much of a difference and our eyes can barely tell.

In my experience it runs a little better even wired like normal. The last one I did I followed what that one poster said about shunting to the batteries. It certainly did make it run a lot better and to me it's simpler than the relay.

Lord Maul
06-01-2007, 02:36 PM
if you run a luke board with all the led strip wires attached, and a k2, it almost drives it to full potential, because that board overamps

tobu
06-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Excuse me,
I have no idea to "how to" connect a K2 to an MR Obi Soundboard! :(

Is there any Diagram? :shock:

Jay-gon Jinn
06-09-2007, 11:02 AM
It's no different than wiring a conversion. The MR board just won't provide the led with enough amps to power it to it's full potential. To the MR conversion threads you must go. :)