PDA

View Full Version : The $3 sprinkler saber hilt

Tenric Starkindler
03-23-2007, 07:05 PM
That's right. The pieces for this hilt cost me $3.00 from Wal-Mart last summer. I still need to glue the ribbed pieces (from the upper corner of the 1st picture) to the slender part of the hilt behind the activation button. They are already sloped and will fill the gap from thicker to thinner diameter very nicely.
I also need to paint it.
For my daughter.............

http://be300.org/forum/uploads/post-20-1174701205.jpg

Lord Maul
03-23-2007, 07:38 PM
schweet 8) 8)
for 3 bucks that is a sweet lookin saber :D

elrond.406
03-23-2007, 08:32 PM
:shock: :o That turned out great for $3. PVC, right? 8)

Tenric Starkindler
03-23-2007, 08:42 PM
yup!
was just walking through the garden section and saw a sale sign.
walked over and saw pieces of sprinkler line (couplings/ sprayheads/ etc.) that looked interesting......most of them even fit together right there. SO I bought about $3.50 worth and didn't use one piece. A little dremmel work to cinvince a few pieces to like each other and it was done in about 20 minutes total.

elrond.406
03-23-2007, 08:54 PM
yup!
was just walking through the garden section and saw a sale sign.
walked over and saw pieces of sprinkler line (couplings/ sprayheads/ etc.) that looked interesting......most of them even fit together right there. SO I bought about $3.50 worth and didn't use one piece. A little dremmel work to cinvince a few pieces to like each other and it was done in about 20 minutes total.

Are you gonna fit it with luxeon tech? Star O is a good idea for this small thing. :wink:

Lord Maul
03-23-2007, 09:19 PM
it would be a pain to rig it with a led elrond.
it has all the valves and everything still in it, so you would need to take all that crap out and then you have the heatsinking issue

Tenric Starkindler
03-24-2007, 11:19 AM
yup. correct.
there is very little free space inside the pieces. This is a belt hanger prop only. it would be nice to get something going, and I might be able to do it with the small LED lights they have now (self contained unit inside), but the brightness wouldn't be enough to warrant the work.

it's a fun creative project from found elements just walking through the store.

Ambo
03-24-2007, 02:06 PM
you could pick up one of those new 3W, 2 AA, mini maglite, it may fit....i have one of the 3AA ones fit into a hilt....works awesome....was thinking of giving it to a friend as a gift......wink wink

I picked mine up at home depot, they use luxeon 3W white LED.

Tenric Starkindler
03-24-2007, 05:48 PM
hmmm.
might have to take a look at that......

chase
04-03-2007, 09:41 PM
you could just rig up the emitter with a thumbscrew and put a carbon fiber blade or something in it so it could have a blade. that would be awesome. good lookin saber for three bucks. i wish i could think of something like that.

Tenric Starkindler
04-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Being all plastic and a bit thin on diameter THis one will be remaining a belt hanger.
It wouldn't take the stress of a blade and adding an LED to it would reuire way too much work since a blade is not really an option.