PDA

View Full Version : 2018 TCSS Saber building Contest

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-25-2017, 04:48 PM
Merry Christmas!!! For a little present, I’ll make this fun announcement for you all...

At long last, and after a couple of years off, we are going to have yet another saber building contest here on the forums. As always, there are two categories: MHS and Custom (as long as there are enough participants for both)

MHS Saber - This saber has to be MHS based. Shrouds and custom PC are allowed, but the basic hilt has to be made from MHS. Modifying store parts (or having them modded for you by Tim) is allowed though.

Custom Saber - Anything goes here. No MHS parts are necessary, but they do make life easier when making a saber. Also no US and SF retreading.

No previously made sabers are allowed in the contest. You have to build it specifically for it. For example, I couldn't submit Apex, as it has been done for a few years now.

Only ONE SABER per person is allowed! Build the best saber you can and submit it. All members are allowed to enter, including Council members and professional sabersmiths.

Your saber must be functioning for this contest. No renders are allowed, and no empty hilts that have no electronics are acceptable either.

When you have your saber done, send a maximum of FIVE 'finished' shots and a wiring shot or two (optional, but recommended) to ME. No videos for the contest, to keep members anonymous.
Send your entry to this email address: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Title your emails in this format:
TCSS MHS/CUSTOM BUILD CONTEST - YOUR USERNAME

Example:
Superawesomejedi built a saber for the MHS part of the contest. The email title would look like this: TCSS MHS BUILD CONTEST - SUPERAWESOMEJEDI

Inside the email, please put your username, real name, saber name, saber specs, and the pictures you want posted.

Example:
Username: Superawesomejedi
Saber name: Spectra
Specs:
CFV4.1
LED Engin RGGB
Premium speaker
Momentary switch

<picture1>
<picture2>
<picture3>
<picture4>
<picture5>
<Wiring picture1>
<Wiring picture2 >

I will save and re-host all the pictures myself so that your name stays confidential. The polls will be anonymous, so that people don't vote for their favorite member. Please keep your sabers to yourselves as well, don't show them off until the contest is over.

You have until July 5th, 2018to build a saber for the contest. Voting will be held shortly after. In case of a tie (which has happened - The Council will decide) :wink:

Prizes - First Prize in each category: A $200 Gift Certificate. Second Prize in each category: A $50. Gift Certificate.

That's about it. Have fun with the contest! I look forward to seeing what you all come up with. And remember, send your saber pics to me, do not post them.

I'll be answering questions here, but keep it on topic.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Bump for those who may have missed the initial announcement.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-29-2018, 03:01 PM
Bump. The loud ticking you hear is the clock on the wall counting down......

Tom Tilmon
04-29-2018, 10:36 PM
Bump. The loud ticking you hear is the clock on the wall counting down......

Note to self: don't post a thread your competition saber next year. I already have a plan! Ha. Dangit.

RavenXp
05-02-2018, 03:06 AM
Well, I wasn't planning on entering my saber into a contest, but since I'm building a new one anyway would it be alright if I entered that? Assuming I get it completed in time before contest cutoff. It's also all MHS, but I plan on salt water etching patterns into the hilt metal, would that be considered in the custom category or would it be safe for the MHS category?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-02-2018, 07:12 AM
It would likely be listed in the MHS category. HOWEVER, it must be something that you haven’t previously posted WIP’s of.

RavenXp
05-02-2018, 11:35 AM
It would likely be listed in the MHS category. HOWEVER, it must be something that you haven’t previously posted WIP’s of.

Heh, I haven't even gotten the parts yet, let alone WIP photos.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-02-2018, 02:12 PM
Heh, I haven't even gotten the parts yet, let alone WIP photos.

Good, as long as you don’t post anything, you’d be good.

RavenXp
05-02-2018, 05:43 PM

It'll be hard not to show off, but I think I can manage. Cool, I'll enter it once it's finished. Hard part will be coming up with a name for the thing, I suck at naming.

Warlock
05-19-2018, 07:19 PM
If you've posted images of an in progress saber on other sites is it allowed for the contest?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-19-2018, 07:47 PM
If you've posted images of an in progress saber on other sites is it allowed for the contest?

Nope.

Warlock
05-19-2018, 07:56 PM
Well crap. Oh well. Didn't know about the contest prior to it. No big deal.

RavenXp
05-19-2018, 08:17 PM
Yeah... Why I'm not posting anything in progress with my current build. Although I am taking plenty of photos for after the contest.

Seth Skywalker
05-19-2018, 08:30 PM
I was debating wether I should enter the contest or make a build thread, decided on the second because I couldn't wait to share my build progress and had to ask questions.

Wonder what ya got brewing RavenXP.:smile:

Vereous
05-19-2018, 10:30 PM
I was debating wether I should enter the contest or make a build thread, decided on the second because I couldn't wait to share my build progress and had to ask questions.

Gotta run two builds at once!

Seth Skywalker
05-19-2018, 10:44 PM
If you have the money for it. I just managed to save up for this one but it’ll cost something like 400 bucks in the end, not quite. So currently I don’t have enough money to get a second one:|. I would have plenty more ideas though :). Being a sbersmith for your job would be pretty cool.

Tom Tilmon
06-08-2018, 08:15 AM
Young Skywalker, I guarantee you could sell the one you just built for a decent profit. Kind of throws Newspaper Delivery, Mowing Lawns, and odd jobs I did at your age out the window. I would never sell my first MHS Hilt. Its ugly, its too long, its awful, and I love it. I look forward to seeing your next build!

Tom

Seth Skywalker
06-08-2018, 04:25 PM
I do think it would sell for a decent amount of money, but I like this hilt so much I want to keep it. Also I think I would need to use a different wire gauge, 22 is pretty thick and makes the hilt hard to take apart again and access the sad card. Maybe I'll save up and make another saber (either the same design or a different one) and sell that. But for now, I will have to stick to washing cars.:smile: But I am having some hints that I might be able to build another saber soon..........

Vereous
06-08-2018, 06:13 PM
I do think it would sell for a decent amount of money, but I like this hilt so much I want to keep it. Also I think I would need to use a different wire gauge, 22 is pretty thick and makes the hilt hard to take apart again and access the sad card. Maybe I'll save up and make another saber (either the same design or a different one) and sell that. But for now, I will have to stick to washing cars.:smile: But I am having some hints that I might be able to build another saber soon..........

Im guessing Dad wants one too, huh?

Seth Skywalker
06-08-2018, 06:28 PM
Close, It's my little bro. After seeing and holding my lightsaber he said he wants one too.

Tom Tilmon
06-10-2018, 06:53 AM
Bump for FJK.

Jamonk Arturan
06-13-2018, 08:58 AM

I would love to be able to enter the contest (I'm sure I wouldn't come close to winning with all the amazing sabers I've seen in previous contests but I do think it'd be fun all the same). My problem is that my current project still has components en route to me that won't arrive until very close to the deadline (and I can't/won't rush the saber but so much since haste makes waste and all) so I'm not confident that this saber will be done in time and my next project (which might be more plausible to finish in time) is a stunt saber and my budget won't allow for a last minute upgrade to it at this point...

So assuming the components I'm waiting on don't arrive earlier than anticipated, would I be able to instead enter my last build (which was competed before the new year)? -I've never posted a name, WIP, renders or completed pics of the saber anywhere -most I've done is share a wiring diagram sketch of the soundboard, leds and switch to be sure i could get a second opinion that my wiring plan looked right before taking the soldering iron to it). I know it's kind of a long shot and I wouldn't want anyone feeling it unfair regardless of my novice skill level, but somehow my budget keeps lining up wonky with the timing of these contests so I figured I'd ask.

Finally, *if* I miraculously do get the parts in earlier than I expect and somehow squeak my current project in under the deadline, would it have to have a fully/at least partial mhs chassis system to be entered into the mhs category, or would it need to be in the "custom" category so long as the chassis doesn't use mhs disks, etc even if the whole body was mhs (with a few modified/etched parts and random greeblies)?

Thanks in advance for the answers. I do hope my questions were not overly convoluted (sorry if they were).

Thanks as well for putting on this contest. Whether or not I end up able to participate this year, I do think it's a great idea and I hope you keep it up!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-13-2018, 12:10 PM
IF (big if) you didn’t post pics of any type for your last (competed) saber, then you would be able to enter it.

MHS means made using MHS parts - internal construction doesn’t really count. If you used MHS blade holder, main body, choke, extensions, pommel, etc. then it’s considered MHS. “Custom” are basically hand made. If there isn’t enough of one or the other, I might merge the two together, which I think may be what I did last time around.

RavenXp
06-13-2018, 12:12 PM
Do you know yet how long the voting phase of the contest will be?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Do you know yet how long the voting phase of the contest will be?

It usually a couple of weeks, depends on how many entries there are, and how many categories there are. I’ll let you know when the time comes.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Time is ticking people....

shinseiko
06-29-2018, 08:19 AM
I'm working on it, I'm working on it! =)

Or maybe I should say, "almost there...":p

I'll be sending you something in a week or so. Busy trying to close on a house ASAP, and get ready for some medical stuff coming up in August. Who knew buying a house could be so traumatic...:shock::roll:

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-29-2018, 09:58 AM
I'm working on it, I'm working on it! =)

Or maybe I should say, "almost there...":p

I'll be sending you something in a week or so. Busy trying to close on a house ASAP, and get ready for some medical stuff coming up in August. Who knew buying a house could be so traumatic...:shock::roll:

The deadline in July 5. No pressure or anything...:rolleyes:

Tom Tilmon
06-29-2018, 07:46 PM
July 5? Dang.

Bump.

darth_chasm
06-29-2018, 07:50 PM
Hope we get some good sabers to look at :shock::shock:

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-30-2018, 07:15 AM
July 5? Dang.

Bump.

I announced the contest on Christmas, so people have had time.

shinseiko
07-03-2018, 09:35 AM
Crap. I thought it was the 25th. I'm out.:x

darth_chasm
07-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Tomorrow’s the day! Good luck to anyone who’s entered.

Hdjoe
07-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Submitted!

Seth Skywalker
07-04-2018, 01:01 PM
This is gonna be interesting.......

hapki
07-04-2018, 07:40 PM
I’m going to enjoy seeing the entries!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-05-2018, 07:26 AM
A little over 13 hours left...

Tom Tilmon
07-05-2018, 07:44 AM
A little over 13 hours left...

Its too bad I don't have time to finish the current saber I'm working on.......

Bump!

Tom

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-06-2018, 05:35 AM
Aaannnnddd, time is up!

I will I’ll work on getting these all sorted out and posted over the weekend.

Seth Skywalker
07-06-2018, 05:51 PM
So, just curios, but when will we be able to vote? The weekend, or after the weekend? Im excited to see all the new sabers!

darth_chasm
07-06-2018, 08:40 PM
Fjk has to sort all of the emails, organize, and write the post. Give him a couple days. They’ll be up soon enough. ;)