PDA

View Full Version : Neopixel Help!!!!

diabetic8
12-20-2017, 09:36 PM
This is my first Neopixel run. Is am using a Nano Bisc v4. Neopixel strings with the 470 ohm resistor on the data line. I followed the same directions from KR sabers video. Using the TCSS wiring guide for Neopixel/LED string setup.
My issue is that after everything is soldered the anticipation rises and all of a sudden, only one string lights up. So half the blade is dark while the other lights up. I believe it is soldered correctly if one is lit up. I don’t know if the other string is bad. But I can’t figure out why the second string is not lighting. Any help will be much appreciated. Please.

bigkevin61
12-20-2017, 10:51 PM
Neopixel strings are directional. Did you align them correctly? There should be a little black arrow on the strip it indicate direction.
Also double check that the positive and negative on the strip that is not working is on the correct pads (since the strips are back to back, and hopefully orientated in the correct direction, the + on one strip is opposite on the other).
Page 28-30in the NB4 manual.
On the aidafruit website about neopixel strips, they also suggest wiring in a large capacitor to help with initial current rush (that could be bad for the pixels). I don’t know if that applies here, as you are using a battery, rather than direct (house) supply.

RarestSquirrel
12-21-2017, 12:39 AM
Have you got the right number of pixels set in the config file?
Its just the number on one side of the two strips, not the total of both.

Failing that, and assuming you've got the strips going in the right direction, perhaps desolder and resolder - or desolder then solder just to the strip that's not working to make sure its not dead.
And yes, there should be a 470ohm resistor on the data line and a single 470µF electrolytic capacitor wired to the pos and neg, preferably as close to the start of the strip as possible.

diabetic8
12-21-2017, 05:18 AM
Have you got the right number of pixels set in the config file?
Its just the number on one side of the two strips, not the total of both.

Failing that, and assuming you've got the strips going in the right direction, perhaps desolder and resolder - or desolder then solder just to the strip that's not working to make sure its not dead.
And yes, there should be a 470ohm resistor on the data line and a single 470µF electrolytic capacitor wired to the pos and neg, preferably as close to the start of the strip as possible.

Yes, I have it set on 140. On one of the sound banks I have the color set on purple but it goes all white. I don’t know if that tells any body what the problem is or if that information can help in solving my one side dilemma. I will check to see if the polarity is going on the same direction. I’m sure it is as I followed a video done by Khal and I knew about the polarity and the direction that they need to go in.

diabetic8
12-21-2017, 05:21 AM
If figured that. Just using a battery should not give such a rush on power. Especially just a 2400 ma 18650. Just baffling. Could be just something that I probably soldered incorrectly but I just don’t see it.

Tom Tilmon
12-21-2017, 06:11 AM
I have had a bad initial pixel in the strip fail me. If you have enough strip, cut out one pixel on the strip that isn't working. If that pixel was bad, the whole strip will follow. Re solder your wires to the new first pixel, and try again. See if that works.

Tom

diabetic8
12-21-2017, 09:50 AM
I have had a bad initial pixel in the strip fail me. If you have enough strip, cut out one pixel on the strip that isn't working. If that pixel was bad, the whole strip will follow. Re solder your wires to the new first pixel, and try again. See if that works.

Tom

Awesome!!!! Worked. Thanks Tom!!! Two out of the 3 sound banks work. For some reason one sound bank shoots the leds to a white like blade when I had it set for red. Has anybody heard of a sound bank issue?

diabetic8
12-21-2017, 09:58 AM
For some reason, it keeps shorting out on red. Red will scroll up and then it flickers off with a scroll down sound as if it’s rebooting.

Strydur
12-21-2017, 10:03 AM
This is one reason to go with the 2813 vs 2812 strips as they have a redundant setup so if one LED is bad it will skip past it.

diabetic8
12-21-2017, 11:25 AM
This is one reason to go with the 2813 vs 2812 strips as they have a redundant setup so if one LED is bad it will skip past it.

Since this is new, everyone has stated different types of LED strips to use. So no perfect set up yet. It isn't until its turned on when you find all the problems. So it looks like there will be no red on this LED setup. The red works when you put it on mute mode. It will stay lit for about 5-10 seconds then its shut off. The speakers go crazy with like a static sound then reboots. like I need to put a capacitor for such a small battery(1860 2400ma). I have a lime Green with a pinkish FOC for sound bank one, Green with orange FOC for bank two and blue with a greenish FOC for bank three. I would like to thank everyones input and help

Tried it and probably my last time with NeoPixels for awhile.161281612916130
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwcmHfODVEs

Tom Tilmon
12-21-2017, 01:46 PM

Thanks Tim, I guess we're all struggling until y'all carry the "right" ones! I think I bought the "wrong" ones.

Tom

jbkuma
12-21-2017, 02:33 PM
You also need to be sure your battery is sufficient to power the strip. If your battery can't supply the current the LEDs either won't light or color won't be correct. I had a bad solder joint and one strip would only light red and the other wouldn't light at all.

diabetic8
12-21-2017, 03:58 PM
You also need to be sure your battery is sufficient to power the strip. If your battery can't supply the current the LEDs either won't light or color won't be correct. I had a bad solder joint and one strip would only light red and the other wouldn't light at all.

So far both sides are lighting up. Tomorrow I’ll post what’s happening to the red LEDs. Turns on but then reboots and shuts down. While the red is on though, the speakers are making this horrible static sound. Battery life is horrible!!! I only had it on and off for about 20 minutes and it shuts down with that static sound. If I were to enable the FOC feature while the battery is low, it will shut down. I charged it for about an hour and it seems fine. I’m hoping that with a full charge then the red will work.

Tom Tilmon
12-21-2017, 11:01 PM
I bet when you get a reboot, you tripped your battery. Sounds like your battery can't handle what you're throwing at it. Have you tried dimming the settings to reduce draw? Either that or get a better battery.

Tom

diabetic8
12-22-2017, 07:06 AM
I bet when you get a reboot, you tripped your battery. Sounds like your battery can't handle what you're throwing at it. Have you tried dimming the settings to reduce draw? Either that or get a better battery.

Tom

Im probably going to get a new battery. Which one would you recommend? I’m using a nano bisc v4. I’m using a 2400ma 18650 now.

Any help would be much appreciated.😀

SA22C
12-22-2017, 08:52 AM
Im probably going to get a new battery. Which one would you recommend? I’m using a nano bisc v4. I’m using a 2400ma 18650 now.

Any help would be much appreciated.��

TCSS sells a 10A discharge 18650, that's the bare minimum for a pixel setup. The discharge current is more important than the mAH, though runtimes will suffer on a pixel setup vs a tri-cree.
Hopefully as the pixel blades become more common, TCSS will start carrying 15A discharge 18650s or even the 26650s.

Strydur
12-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Quite a few people are using the Trustfire 18650 we sell with neopixel just fine and I doubt they have a 10A discharge rate so I think the 10A we offer is more than sufficient.