PDA

View Full Version : Pucks

gundamaniac
03-21-2007, 10:09 AM
What model puck should be used with a 3W Lux?

Jedi Ranger
03-21-2007, 12:16 PM
I think most of us use a 1000ma DC driver. Other than that, just make sure it'll fit in your hilt.

gundamaniac
03-21-2007, 01:59 PM
I ran a google search and came across this- http://www.luxeonstar.com/item.php?id=863&link_str=&link_catg=&partno=3021DE1000

Is this the one you're using? I looked at it and saw a ton of pins; the wiring harness you can get with it is rather complicated. It also seems rather expensive, though cheaper than Corbin's board. I'd get his board but I've already spent a ton on hilt parts.

I took a look at micropucks; those seem nice but they say micropucks are good for running 1watt LEDs, not 3watt, and I already put in my order for a 3watt. Input/advice anybody?

xwingband
03-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes, that is what you want.

The wiring harness is optional. It would certainly help, but there is nothing stopping you from PCB mounting it or soldering directly to the pins.

There are six pins to it. Two for power, two for the LED and two control pins. Those control pins are for switches or pots... also you could control strobing that way.

Micropucks... you can use them too. You'd need two for a Lux III though. They only output 350mA so you'd need to parallel 2 to get 750mA.

james3
03-21-2007, 03:28 PM
I prefer the prewired buckpucks. Makes life nice for what we do.

gundamaniac
03-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Alrighty, so the 1000mA buckpuck it is. I'll be getting me one with a harness then. Thanks X-Wing

gundamaniac
03-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Hm. One other question. How does a saber powered with a buckpuck compare to one powered by Corbin's driver and one with just a resistor and no drivers?

I know that without Corbin's, I'll be missing all the neat spiffy effects, but I'm just talking about brightness and battery-life here.

Ryma Mara
03-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Check out the other topic in this section called noob question. answeres are there.

xwingband
03-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Hm. One other question. How does a saber powered with a buckpuck compare to one powered by Corbin's driver and one with just a resistor and no drivers?

I know that without Corbin's, I'll be missing all the neat spiffy effects, but I'm just talking about brightness and battery-life here.

Drivers that aren't meant for lightsabers are just that... they do the same stuff as Corbin's minus the fancy. You get the better runtime and less to worry about getting the most out of your LED.