PDA

View Full Version : Question about LS Design

bgonc1482
03-21-2007, 04:50 AM
Hi, I'm new to the saber scene, and was wondering if it would be possible to build a Tonfa-style lightsaber hilt. Also, would it be possible to do this by hand, or would it have to be custom machined (I don't have a metal lathe).

And a quick question to finish it out: would it be possible/practical to make a hilt out of wood? Not one that would house electronics or anything, just to look nice. I have a wood lathe and was wondering if that would work out.

Thanks for any future help!

Jonitus
03-21-2007, 06:36 AM
For your first question:

Yes, it is possible to build a tonfa-style lightsaber. How practical it would be, I don't know, but you could do it. I should think that you could use the MHS system sold in the store for the main body, and then use a readily available aluminum part for your handle...properly adapted of course. I was thinking you could go to a local bike shop and get a set of foot pegs and use one for your handle. You would need a threaded stud to connect it to the hilt, but that shouldn't be a problem.

For your second question:

You could certainly use wood in a lightsaber. I don't have the link, but a member on this very board did a saber that incorporated wood. Maybe take a look through the "show pictures of your sabers here" thread. I have seen, scattered across the internet, pictures of sabers that had a mix of wooden parts and metal parts. They look good if done correctly.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

bgonc1482
03-21-2007, 06:39 AM
Thanks much Jonitus!

I will look into those pegs, they sound like a great idea.

Jonitus
03-21-2007, 07:08 AM
From my recollection, the pegs are about 3.5 to 4 inches long, 1.25 to 1.5 inches in diameter and come in natural aluminum or anodized in a rainbow of colors. Typically, they have knurling on them, so it would provide a good grip for your hand. A decent set at a bike shop shouldn't cost more than 20 or 30 bucks.

bgonc1482
03-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Sounds good.

Now, if I wanted to build a non-tonfa wood hilt, and be able to use electronics, would I be able to just put the electronics inside the (hollow) wooden hilt?

If not, would it be easy to put the electronics in pvc, then put the pvc into the hilt?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to explore all my options.

Jonitus
03-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Yes, you can. There's people that build PVC sabers that have full electronics. UltraSabers comes to mind with his "Apprentice" series of sabers.

Anything is possible. A full wood saber would be a technical challenge to build, but if you have mad skillz on the lathe (intentionally misspelled for effect), it could be done.

Keep the questions coming. We're here to help.

bgonc1482
03-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Okay, how about this.

I was rummaging around my house for some parts that I might be able to use for the tonfa, and I came upon an old flight simulator joystick. It already has wiring inside, and I was wondering if I could use that wiring to make one of the buttons the on/off switch? Would I be able to use the buttons at all? Or would I need an entirely new switch?

I'd like to be able to use the joystick, because it countours perfectly, and is the right length.

Jonitus
03-21-2007, 01:10 PM
So, you're talking about using the handle of the joystick as the handle of your tonfa-styled saber?

Interesting idea...

You could probably do it. You'd have to figure out how to attach it to the body of the saber securely, but it could be done.

As for the switches. The switches in a joystick are momentary switches. This is not a problem if you use a driver in the saber to control the LED and it is set up for a momentary switch. If you use a Hasbro soundboard, for example, you could use the switch in the joystick handle, sine Hasbros use momentary switches already. If, on the other hand, you either don't have a driver and just do direct-drive of the LED from the battery, you'll need a latching switch. This is also tru if you want to use a Master Replicas sound board from a force-fx saber...they're set up for latching switches.

I say go for it on the joystick handle. We can figure out the details.

bgonc1482
03-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Attaching it to the body isn't too big a deal right now, I'll figure out a way to do it.

It seems like the Hasbro soundboard would be the best bet. That does control the on/off of the blade, correct?

Also, which would be cheaper to do? I don't have the largest of budgets, which is why I've been rummaging.

Jonitus
03-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Hasbro boards do control the LED. Personally, I would recommend finding a Vader saber (the one that looks like the ROTJ saber he carried). It can take 6 volts with no problem, and it puts out enough current to drive the 3W LED to a good capacity and give a bright blade. Hasbros have a slow response time between the swinging of the blade, but they still sound pretty good if you do other things to help them along.

See if your local WalMart has one of these particular Hasbros on clearance. If you already have a Hasbro laying around, let us know which one it is, and we can help you determine whether it is good to use or not. Some are good, some are duds.

bgonc1482
03-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Okay, I'll take a look.

Would I be able to add the sound later? I might not be able to get my hands on the sound for a bit, and I just wanted to see if I could get the 'saber working.

Lord Maul
03-21-2007, 03:04 PM
yup. adding the sound later is possible but sort of a pain.
if you know that you'll be adding the sound later, then just twist and tape your wires until the sound is ready. that's when you'll solder it :wink:

Jedi-Loreen
03-21-2007, 03:25 PM
If you are going to direct drive your LED right from the battery, a momentary switch from your joystick isn't going to work unless you hold it down constantly to keep the blade lit.

bgonc1482
03-21-2007, 03:57 PM
But would I be able to modify the switch/button to make it so I don't have to hold it down constantly? Maybe by rewiring it?

Ryma Mara
03-21-2007, 04:04 PM
yeah buy a latching switch.

bgonc1482
03-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Okay, now with the latching switch, do I or should I keep the wiring from the joystick? I have ket it together with the wiring, so if I need to keep it I will.

Lord Maul
03-21-2007, 04:53 PM
you can, just snip off the momentary switch and replace it with a latching switch

bgonc1482
03-22-2007, 04:55 AM
Okay, I was thinking about this last night, and I've been wondering: Do I really need to use a driver for this, or could I just use the basic LED layout?

It would be a lot easier to do this without the driver, because I could get mostly everything I need at my local electronics/hobby store.

Jonitus
03-22-2007, 05:02 AM
You can certainly use the basic LED layout and forgo the driver. You'll need a latching switch, but if you have a local electronics store, you can get the switch there too. You could always add sound later if you wanted.

Barmic Rin
03-22-2007, 08:53 AM
First off, welcome to the scene dude!!! :D :D :D

Secondly, my bro wants a tonfa saber & has for a while, it's just a case of putting it together & it surviving the punishment he'd put it through!!!!

Check this from 'Force unleashed' (damn dates being put back til '08!!)
http://www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/2844/2844.jpg
There's a chick in a Darth Maul comic that used Tonfa, her name was Sinya or something like that.

Neophyl has used wood in one or two of his designs, PM him & he should reply. Here's some of his work:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703&start=75

I like the idea dude, especially the wooden hilt, look for pics of T'ra Saa or Tyvokka. They both had wooden hilts!!! Just Google it!