PDA

View Full Version : Rgb vs rgbw neopixel big difference?

Squimboos
12-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Has anybody played around with both? I was wondering if anyone has had trouble powering the rgbw variety and if it really makes it much brighter.

jbkuma
12-06-2017, 12:30 PM
As far as I know, nobody is set up to run the rgbw variety. It takes an additional amount of memory and the coding isn't exactly the same. They also suck down that much more power (rated max of 14.4 becomes almost 20amps for a 120 pixel blade!) I would guess you could get a brighter white "flash" but I don't think the gains are worth the penalties in this. If you have any programming (in particular C++), you could try modifying FX-SaberOS (which I work on) or TeensySaber to get it working, but you'll be mostly on your own sorting that out. In principle it shouldn't be too difficult to code, but time consuming to go through everything. TCSS isn't really the place to talk about that sort of development, but if you are interested in developing it I recommend seeking out those projects as a starting point.

Squimboos
12-06-2017, 01:37 PM
As far as I know, nobody is set up to run the rgbw variety. It takes an additional amount of memory and the coding isn't exactly the same. They also suck down that much more power (rated max of 14.4 becomes almost 20amps for a 120 pixel blade!) I would guess you could get a brighter white "flash" but I don't think the gains are worth the penalties in this. If you have any programming (in particular C++), you could try modifying FX-SaberOS (which I work on) or TeensySaber to get it working, but you'll be mostly on your own sorting that out. In principle it shouldn't be too difficult to code, but time consuming to go through everything. TCSS isn't really the place to talk about that sort of development, but if you are interested in developing it I recommend seeking out those projects as a starting point.

Awesome. Thank you. That's good to know. Makes choices a bit easier