PDA

View Full Version : Shroud & box mounting

Just A Jedi
10-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Greetings saber-masters,
I would like to do a body shroud over part of my saber, and it will be the portion where I'll put the switch & recharge port. I've planned on using box 9, or possibly box 21 drilled & tapped for a 12mm switch and recharge port. Will it work to request that Tim cut the box mounting in the body and I can drill the shroud later? Or is it "wiser" to get it drilled/tapped all at one time? Do I need to tap the shroud?

Thank you in advance

Jay-gon Jinn
10-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Tap the shroud for what, the switch? I'd advise against that...the box will have threads for that if you order it from Tim that way so all you need is a 12mm hole in the shroud for the switch to pass through. The same for the recharge port. The 4-40 screw that secures box 21 or 9 to the saber will be enough to hold the box in place, along with the shroud. I would drill and tap the hilt and the shroud for the 4-40 threads at once, so do that yourself, but have Tim machine the ribbed section for the mounting holes for that style of box.

Just A Jedi
10-19-2017, 11:56 PM
Thanks Jay-gon. Forgive me, but yes, I was wondering if I needed to have the shroud tapped at all. I didn't think I did, but I wanted to clarify. However, I probably should have the 4-40 hole drilled & tapped through both shroud & body, correct? You don't think it would work to have just a blank screw hole drilled through the shroud and simply have the screw thread into the body below? Do you think it might allow the shroud to "wiggle" a little to much?

Silver Serpent
10-20-2017, 04:44 AM
Shrouds are usually pretty snug. I've never had any issue with them wiggling. I only tap the main body parts, and have a pass-through hole in the shroud. Nice and secure.