PDA

View Full Version : rechargeable batteries for the 5w/mr hilt question

jjshumpert
03-16-2007, 09:15 PM
i got the rechargeables for the qui gon, each pack is 2 cells at 1.2 a piece (2.4 a pack) and im going to use 4 of these packs in the hilt. each pack has 2 wire leads, one on the pos and one on the neg, the other end has a piece of metal soldered onto it to close the circuit. i need one lead to my 5w at 9.6 volts using all 4 packs and another lead for my mr module at 4.8 volts using only 2 packs. the shop where i bought them told me that i should wire the leads between the packs starting with the red on the first to the black on the second, red on the second to the black on the third, red on the third to the black on the 4th, and im guessing that would make the black on the first cell my neg and the red on my 4th cell would be the pos...

now if thats right ill use the same wiring for the pos like i did on tims pack, where the pos goes to one side of the switch and then the other side splits into 2 leads, one with the resistor and led the other to the sound module. the neg on the bottom would be full power and go straight into the neg on the led. what i cant figure out is where would i need to tap in so that i could make another neg to close the connection to the mr and it would only use 2 of the packs and give 4.8. ive had this setup running before using tim's 6AA pack, that i tapped the neg terminal on the positive side of the pack that wired into the neg lead on the mr board and the neg from the plug end of the pack when straight to the lux, which worked well but the pack was too long to fit into the length hilt i wanted to do...

im also going to use a 2 wire female ended plug in the hilt for recharging, and im not quite shure where i should solder it into the wiring so as to let me recharge the battery pack without having to take the hilt apart...

i would really apreciate someone more knowledgeable on this posting with any help as to whether i have my wiring straight or anything i may do different that would work better. since im using an mr sound module in this and considering i havent worked with rechargeables in over 10 years i want to get this right the first time. i know that if the saber gets turned on while charging it can blow the batteries which isnt much of a concern since the 4 packs only cost me 8 bucks, but if something fries then it will burn up my mr module and those things arent cheap!

maybe someday the wife will let me buy some buttered toast for this hilt which would negate any of this trouble, but i havent convinced her of how good a deal erv's board is just yet, so at the moment this is the best setup i can find for running a 5w green lux with an mr module...