PDA

View Full Version : building a new luke saber

chase
03-16-2007, 11:11 AM
ok i bought the shell of a luke fx saber and it has nothing in it. i got the pummel and swich but im wondering what else i need to make it nice. im putting a led kit in and maybe sound later, what should i start with? any ideas anyone? any bit of help would be fantastic!

xwingband
03-16-2007, 11:47 AM
"make it nice"

That can mean a lot of things. I think the easiest to do is paint the ugly colored neck, a copper kit from fx-saber.com or contact paper like they sell at Michaels. It's cheap and improves the look a lot.

chase
03-16-2007, 02:32 PM
well i was going to put electronics and a poly c blade on it...do i need to drill holes or get the whole custom kit thing. i know i have to get an electronics kit. i want to get a white led with a purple filter. basically im turning it from a shell to a fully working led saber...any ideas?

Ryma Mara
03-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Well sometime Tim is gonna have the conversion kits for the luke/obi/ and maul sabers sometime soon. What you could do is wait till the kits come out to figure out a way to make that new blade holder.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-890-22-125-sink-tube-ledblade-holder.aspx

Try to figure out how to make that work for it then just do whatever else ya want. weather it be the 3W driver(latching version) a regular MR sound board wired like in the conversions, or the led Kit thats nothing special just lighting up the blade.

You can do many things to make it nice but a blade holder is gonna be a pain.

Does anyone know if the new 1.25 blade holder will fit inside the luke hilt?

Lord Maul
03-16-2007, 03:29 PM
i don't know about the 1.25 in. holder ryma

if you really are impatient then you could go to ultra. he is currently the only one (besides JSS who is unreliable) who has a blade holder for the luke rotj.

then you would simply put in your own goodies to make the rest of it work

jjshumpert
03-16-2007, 04:54 PM
the 1.25 will work for the luke mr, there is a bit of trimming involved but ive made one fit. i would say i had to take about a 16th off the od of the holder to get it to go into the emitter end of the copper section but it is doable. i would sugjest waiting on the conversion though, unless plans changed its going to have the 3/4 inch of aluminum around the blade coming out of the end of the emitter like jss does... but that was over a month ago and plans might have been changed. either way tims conversion will be the better option since its designed for the luke. good luck on this project and post pics when done.

Ryma Mara
03-17-2007, 02:14 AM
I would say use the 1.25 bladeholder and have tim just shave a bit off of it, or make yourself an adaptor part like my brother did and sit there wiht sandpaper and water for a while.

It it will fit barly I would say its a reasionable alternative, just need some thining done.