PDA

View Full Version : Resistors + or -

Avidgrant
07-29-2017, 12:39 PM
Noticed something regarding the diagrams in the nb3 and nb4 manuals regarding the locations of the resistors. In the nb3 manual it shows them on the positive connections to the led, and on the nb4 manual it shows them on the negative connections to the led. So..... is this the preferred methodology based on what version of the card you have, or does it matter?

Tom Tilmon
07-29-2017, 12:51 PM
In my opinion, it doesn't matter which side of the electron river a resistor is placed. It controls the flow of the river before the city and after the city. The city being the LED. That is my opinion, and I have wired all of my LED's like this. Including on my NBIV. It works great. It also prevents a mess of wiring, because you can bridge your positives on the LED star and take 2 wires out of the equation.

I suppose there is a nano spike in amps/volts as the river begins to flow through the LED until it arrives are the resistor on the negative leg, but that spike is negligible. I am hoping others weigh in here, and I am always willing to listen and learn from others. There are lots of different ways to skin a catfish.

Tom

Greenie
07-30-2017, 04:58 AM
I concur with Tom, either pos or neg is ok but as he points out, if you add the resistor to the negative you need only four wires to your LED. I use this method as it helps with cram fu.

Denz
07-31-2017, 05:21 AM
It does not matter which side of the LED the resistor is in the circuit.

-Denzil

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-31-2017, 08:28 AM
Traditionally, it is put on the (+) side, HOWEVER, there are exceptions, and boards like the Prizm, a hacked PC/CF have them on the (-) side. If it were a simple circuit, the others are correct, it really doesn't matter too much. For soundcards, try to follow the manual as closely as you can. Trying to "get cute" with your wiring might not always work out the way you intend it to.

Avidgrant
08-02-2017, 11:36 AM
just to make uber sure- i asked Erv directly.....

This is what he said-

resistors can be placed anywhere (up side or down side of the led) and they aren't polarized. It changed only to accommodate a diagram that would fit on the page and avoid too many wires crossing each other.