PDA

View Full Version : Stunt sabers

jedi1789
03-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Hey Guys,
I have not been here in a while so hi!!
Anywho! I was wondering if anybody has done a hasbro conversion? or a Hasbro stunt saber conversion out of Hasbro?? if you have can you tell me how? I am making a movie and want a cheap stunt saber.... Thanks! :)

james3
03-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Do you mean replacing the oversized Hasbro blade with a 1 inch PolyC blade or do you mean taking out the incandescent bulb and throwing in a Luxeon?

I am a bit confused to what kind of stunt saber you want. You can make movie props out of PVC or wood and what cheaper then using a Hasbro and converting it. Pretty much all the good lightsaber stuff comes in the editing.

jedi1789
03-10-2007, 01:19 PM
No I mean like adding a Carbon Fiber blade good for dueling? :)

elrond.406
03-10-2007, 01:25 PM
No I mean like adding a Carbon Fiber blade good for dueling? :)
On to a Hasbro saber? :?

Lord Maul
03-10-2007, 01:26 PM
carbon fiber wouldn't be as good or cheap as polyC :wink:
you would need to have a custom blade holder installed in it to do this, and you would give up the lighted blade unless you had tim make you one with a led holder. it really wouldn't be worth all the work. just get a basic MHS for all of 70 to 80 dollars and it will last forever

james3
03-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Ok gotcha.

Sorry can't help ya there. But if you ever want to do a 3w white Lux...

If that is what you want though it really doesn't seem like that hard of a task.

Ryma Mara
03-10-2007, 02:14 PM
They used "CFiber" Rods in the films.

Firebird21
03-10-2007, 02:23 PM
They used "CFiber" Rods in the films.

They should have used the LUX & PolyC setup. They probably wouldn't have had to rotoscope some of their scenes and they would have the effect of the saber lighting everything around it on every scene, not just when Count Dooku and Anakin duke it out at the end of Ep II. :roll:

Ryma Mara
03-10-2007, 04:39 PM
That part pissed me off to no end. I really wanted to see them fighting instead of the crappy "oh lets stick the camera in there, DER DER DER!"

But no they had to lead that one up to yoda and count. I figured if they actually showed the fight it would of been better than the count/yoda fight so thats why they did it.

and even then the count and yoda fight wasent all the great.

Lord Maul
03-10-2007, 10:54 PM
all yoda did was bounce around. if you put it in slow motion, you see that he only hits dooku's saber like 5 times :?

elrond.406
03-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Back on topic: http://randomsabers.com/blades.php carbon blades here. *Don't kill me for the linky! :o :wink:

http://www.kilwell.co.nz/Fibre%20process.htm The manufacturing process[/url]

james3
03-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Well moron, if you know your not supposed to link to that site why did you do it?

Tim has said many times that if somewhere doesn't link to him he didn't want it in here.

:evil:

Lord Maul
03-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Well moron, if you know your not supposed to link to that site why did you do it?

i think ya mean Nimrod james :wink:
but elrond, why would you link there :?:

Ryma Mara
03-12-2007, 08:25 AM
AS far as I can tell the reasion why he did it is cause there were a couple mentions of the carbon fiber rods.

As far as I know RS is the only place with the carbon fiber rods.

Jay-gon Jinn
03-12-2007, 08:39 AM
jedi1789: Were you wanting to add a carbon fiber blade to a Habro hilt to make a stunt saber? I'm sure it could be done, but the Hasbro hilts are so over-sized I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. You can make a much better looking hilt from a plumbing pipe and probably have an easier time getting a carbon fiber rod to fit in one, too. If all you're going to use it for is a home-made movie, though, it might be cheaper to use a PolyC tube instead of a carbon fiber rod.

jedi1789
03-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Okay thanks for the help! Does Tim sell Polyc?? Thanks! :)

JediHilt
03-12-2007, 09:44 AM
They should have used the LUX & PolyC setup. They probably wouldn't have had to rotoscope some of their scenes and they would have the effect of the saber lighting everything around it on every scene, not just when Count Dooku and Anakin duke it out at the end of Ep II.

I don't know about how characteristics of lightsabers in this reality would behave (my proton arc blade if it worked for instance) but in Star Wars don't lightsabers emit verry little light and cast shadows on the ground?

LordArgyll
03-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Only because of the limitations of rotoscoping. They don't bother with the ambient light of the blade in most shots because there's so much action you'd probably only subconsciously notice it. But in close up shots and shots where the blade interacts more with the environment (like the gas cloud in the Trade Federation meeting room) you can see that they do have a strong ambient glow.

jedi1789
03-12-2007, 10:37 AM
jedi1789: Were you wanting to add a carbon fiber blade to a Habro hilt to make a stunt saber? I'm sure it could be done, but the Hasbro hilts are so over-sized I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. You can make a much better looking hilt from a plumbing pipe and probably have an easier time getting a carbon fiber rod to fit in one, too. If all you're going to use it for is a home-made movie, though, it might be cheaper to use a PolyC tube instead of a carbon fiber rod.

I would make one out of PVC or something BUT I want the Mace Windu style from episode one: http://thelightsaber.com/Histories/historyM.htm
the first one. (are you not suposed to post links? if not sorry didn't know)

jjshumpert
03-12-2007, 12:33 PM
i would sugjest looking into the sink tube/hardware sabers shown in the gallery for inspiration and use tims sink tube mhs adapter, blade holder, and either 3w or 5w electronics kits from tim. these sabers will be duelable, cheap to make, and you will have a well built saber that you can be proud of. i just switched from mr hilts to sinktubes and mhs and let me tell you i wont go back. if your wanting to do something cheap with not much work there is also the option of finding cheap mr sabers that the lights are busted on but have working sound and doing luxeon conversions on them. ive picked these up for as little as 35.00 a hilt plus 30.00 to convert with tims parts and reuse the mr blade. its not the best setup available but they are good for light dueling sabers and have one of the best sound options, second only imo to the awesome crystal focus. going either of these routes will save you alot of time afterwards on rotoscoping, if using 5w kits then there isnt much need at all since they can almost uniformly light a 40 inch polyc blade... even to my extremely receptive eyes. there is my addition, hope i have helped to give you some possible directions with this project

jedi1789
03-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks everyone it did help and now I am using a mix of everything! I will be sure to add TCSS to my credits!

jjshumpert
03-12-2007, 01:42 PM
good luck and be shure to post pics when your done!

Luke-SkyMarcher
03-13-2007, 05:05 PM
So you're meaning somthing like this?
http://www.apocprod.com/Pages/tutorials/lightsaber2.htm

jedi1789
03-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Suhweet yes thanks. but I email the guy who made 3 in the afternoon and he sent me a vid on how he made them so yeah thanks guys!