PDA

View Full Version : Complete Neopixel string blade in TCSS

cybernick
06-05-2017, 01:00 AM
Is there any plan to put complete neopixel string blade in TCSS? This would set the plug standard I believe.

NanoRex
06-05-2017, 07:39 AM
I wouldn't expect to see complete blades, as the amount of time and effort required to make one is through the roof. I would however love to see parts for these sold in the store such as plugs and the Neopixel LEDs themselves.

jbkuma
06-05-2017, 08:01 AM
There are a bunch of us who have been making these things for a year or more. There are reasons people have chosen different connectors for various reasons. Unfortunately I don't think many have properly respected that the blade can pull in excess of 10 amps and have chosen inadequately. I personally use 10 pin aviation connectors so I can charge and program via the blade socket.
http://jbkuma.com/workshoppe/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/20170601_221845_crop_798x465.jpg

String type blades typically sell in the hundreds of dollars due to the hours of labor involved in making them. Strip blades are much easier to make, though there are other considerations in making them.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Once "the standards" have been fully decided upon, you might see something in the future.

Thalan the Exiled
06-05-2017, 02:35 PM
I would love to see a sound board (under $150) made to control them. I have looked around and I am just not happy with the options available yet. Would love for Plector to put their magic touch on one.

hapki
06-05-2017, 02:47 PM
Have you seen PRIZM v5?

NanoRex
06-05-2017, 06:11 PM
I would love to see a sound board (under $150) made to control them. I have looked around and I am just not happy with the options available yet. Would love for Plector to put their magic touch on one.

The recently released NBv4 and PRIZM v5 both support Neopixel blades, and that functionality will probably arrive on the other boards in the near future :)

jbkuma
06-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Erv seems to be putting it on all of his boards, NEC officially supports it, and there are a couple open source options that have been around for a year or more. I'm a major contributor to LightsaberOS (soon to be relaunched as FX-SaberOS). There is also a TeensySaber code base, and other open source libraries. I'm not sure there can be more options!

Thalan the Exiled
06-07-2017, 12:16 PM
I guess I need to read up on the new NB and Prizm