PDA

View Full Version : How do you run a Lux5 on an mr board?

Ryma Mara
03-07-2007, 01:16 PM
As the topic title says how do you run a 5watter on an Mr board. If it makes a difference a Bin 1-2 Cyan.

xwingband
03-07-2007, 01:58 PM
You don't...

It's that simple in a way. It doesn't have the juice to light it. You can have it work WITH something else but it can't drive the LED itself.

Ryma Mara
03-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Yeah thats kinda what I was talking about. I seen someone said they were using a 5watter with an Mr board and a resistor.

I guess thats kinda what I was getting at like what resistor and wiring would I have to do. What ammount of bateries and how to keep the effects that the board has like the blade shutting off with the deavtivation sound.

TimeRender
03-07-2007, 02:22 PM
My understanding of electronics is basic at best, but it sound like you're talking about running the LED directly off the battery with a resistor, then using a voltage regulator in between the battery and the MR board. You could do the same thing with one of Corbin's drivers in place of the resistor too, just as long as you were careful not to give the MR board too much juice. Bottom line is that you can run the LED and the MR board off the same battery, but you can't run the LED off the board. Period.

Ryma Mara
03-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Yes but Iw ant to do it without spending the 40$ to do so.

TimeRender
03-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Like I said, use a battery pack with enough voltage to run the 5watt, run the LED directly off of that, run the MR board off the battery with a voltage regulator. That's the only way you can do it. I think...

Ryma Mara
03-07-2007, 02:28 PM
I see. I shal have to try that when the cash comes avalable.

Thanks

Jedibum
03-07-2007, 02:34 PM
I have a set up with a 5 Watt and an MR Board, but the MR Board is not powering the LED. The 5Watt is wired to a 9Volt battery and the switch. The MR Board is wired to a 4AAA pack and the same switch. So the switch turns both the MR Board and the LED on at the same time, but when you turn the saber off the LED shuts off completely when the "power down" sound is still in the middle of playing since they aren't wired together. So there is a second at the end of the "power down" sound when there is no light. Other than that and dealing with 2 different battery packs it works great.

But I have to warn you or anyone else doing this, I killed a couple of sound boards before it worked. the 2 sound boards that were fried with this set-up are the Luke 05 Board, and the Anakin Board. I don't know if it was the boards or something to do with the way I wired it, but they did not hold up well. I had a Mace board that worked without problem, and currently I have a Maul sound board wired this way with a Green 5 Watt and so far it shows no problems.

Ryma Mara
03-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Sweet, Keep us updated at how that works out for you.

I was wandering would it work if you wired both switch leads to a single switch if that would work?

james3
03-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Come on Darn it! I posted how to do this already.

All TCSS Parts!

six aa pack
MR board
5w LED
resistor
switch

Use a jump wire on half the pack to power the sound board. It's that simple.

Firebird21
03-07-2007, 03:15 PM
What ever happened to the Relay controled by the board?

xwingband
03-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Yup, I figured James would post that.... I kept it simple there are tons of ways of making it happen, just not with the LED run by the MR board.

The problem Jedibum ran into is that the MR board has power running through it's switch leads... Best to use a DPDT for all that.

Power is the issue. A seperate battery pack is functional, but requires the space. James' works but is sort of electronic hackery since three of the batteries will drain faster than the others.

One I haven't tried myself but should be interesting is 4AA, a boostpuck, and the MR board. Again a DPDT to isolate would be ideal.

Lord Maul
03-07-2007, 03:53 PM
why not just use a 5 watt relay :?:
that seems to work great, so why change it :roll:

xwingband
03-07-2007, 04:16 PM

A relay would work as the switch system instead of a DPDT, but otherwise what I said stands.

vortextwist
03-07-2007, 04:23 PM

A relay would work as the switch system instead of a DPDT, but otherwise what I said stands.

what is DPDT i know it's a switch but what kind :oops:

supertrogdor
03-07-2007, 04:51 PM
dual pole dual throw
it allows you to have two independant circuits turn on or off through one switch

vortextwist
03-07-2007, 04:52 PM
ah, thanks man

supertrogdor
03-07-2007, 04:53 PM
glad i could be of service

Lord Maul
03-07-2007, 05:19 PM
could someone with knowledge post what each abbreviation stands for and what that switch is used for?
i'm sure it would help all us wiring noobs (like myself)

xwingband
03-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Okies...

Single Pull Single Throw

This has two prongs/wires. A simple on/off.

SPDT= Single Pull Double Throw

Has three with one being common. On toggles this can be used like a turn one object off and the other on.

From there you should be able to reason what the others are like. Example a DPDT has six prongs/wires and is basically two SPDT's under one switch.

Lord Maul
03-07-2007, 05:49 PM
thanks X
i'm sure ya also helped out some other noobs at wiring in addition to me :D

Ryma Mara
03-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Ok I understand so far but how do I split the battery pack.

You say to use a jumper wire on the pack Where would I put the new wire/s?

LordArgyll
03-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Everyone likes pictures.

http://darkside.sandwich.net/images/random/jumper.jpg

Assuming I've understood correctly, tap a new lead in parallel from the positive where the total cell voltage is 6 volts (i.e. cell #4) and use this lead to power the MR board. The main lead from the pack is used to power the LED. Both leads are run to the DPDT/relay/whatever.

I think you can use the common negative, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

james3
03-08-2007, 08:17 AM
That's about right.

I use 4.5 to 3.6 though myself but yeah, you can go up to six with no issue as we have done with the 3w deals.

As for the switch you can go two pole but it is not needed. Just wire any switch you want to the neg side and feed one posi to the lamp and one to the board and there ya go.

So Argyll gets the cookie.

A quick note on battery drain, the amount we are talking is minimal when your not using the FX card as a LED driver. I have said it before, use the batteries for a bit until they start to dim, pull them and use them in kids toys, clocks, remotes, whatever. Or go the rechargeable route and don't worry much about it.
Again, tons of ways to get it done.

Ryma Mara
03-08-2007, 12:28 PM
sweet thanks you!