PDA

View Full Version : Bladebuilders rey lightsaber single led to multiple

Ingus tore
06-01-2017, 06:05 AM
Hey you guys,

Probably a stupid question and already asked a 100 times but I can't find the answer so here goes.
How do i make it so, that the pcb of the saber wich had 1 led, so I can wire multiple leds to it? I took a flashlight and changed the led from it to very bright blue ones but when I solder it to the led+ and led- it doesn't work. If only just a little bit?
Help me .... you are my only hope

jbkuma
06-01-2017, 07:47 AM
You'll need to use transistors, many have used the trusty TIP42C for this purpose.

Check out this thread for some diagrams and ideas: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10288-2010-Electronic-Lightsaber-w-DVD-Tutorial
(this should probably be a sticky)

Silver Serpent
06-01-2017, 07:47 AM
Best bet is to use the transistor method. This was done on the 2010 budget sabers in this thread: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10288-2010-Electronic-Lightsaber-w-DVD-Tutorial

It's a different sound board, but the procedure should be the same.

Edit: jbkuma beat me to the punch!

Ingus tore
06-01-2017, 07:55 AM
I know! I found that one and tried it. But the weird thing is that it only lights up when the clash sound is activated. So that doesn't work the way I hoped

jbkuma
06-01-2017, 08:20 AM
I expect that means you have the transistor wired to the wrong side, have you tried wiring it to the speaker? Wiring it to the speaker gives a nice flicker effect.

Ingus tore
06-01-2017, 08:36 AM
Haha no I'm quite sure. When the original led is placed and the clash is activated, the led flickers on and off. So it looks like the way I did it is reversed.

Ingus tore
06-02-2017, 12:56 AM
Wait! Is it so, that I put the transistor the wrong way? I diagram shows no writing on the transistor. So is it possible I wired it the wrong way?

Silver Serpent
06-02-2017, 05:06 AM
It is very possible. Not all transistors are wired the same. Check the pinout of your transistor.

The "emitter" pin should go to your battery.
The "collector" pin should go to your LED.
The "base" pin should go to the sound board.

Ingus tore
06-28-2017, 12:01 PM
It works you guys!!! Thank you! The next problem though, it works so good that it seems like it warms up. Not to a boiling hot but still... is that a problem?

Silver Serpent
06-29-2017, 04:48 AM
Not really a problem unless the magic smoke comes out. Some parts get warm when you run power through them. LEDs, resistors, transistors, etc.