PDA

View Full Version : Wall chargers - recommendations

Jonitus
03-04-2007, 11:59 AM
I can't find that this question ahs been answered, so I'll put it forth. XWing, if I have made a faux pas, please feel free to move this topic to the proper area.

I love that Tim has stocked the smart chargers, and I am certainly going to pick one up for my personal sabers that are all in the process of getting converted to rechargeable batteries. However, I am not inclined to spend that type of money for a charger for my customer's sabers.

I do want to include something, but a $25 charger eats too far into my profit, so I though a simple wall charger would do well, but I sure can't find something appropriate at the local RS. For a 4.8V pack, what would be a suitable charger? 5V? What amperage?

xwingband
03-04-2007, 12:16 PM
You'd get a wall charger at 4.8V. I believe RS has these. Get a low amperage one. When they're "dumb" that will helps with not overcharging them.

I think you should look at a charger as an at cost thing you include above your profits. The insurance of making sure you can do mulitple sabers at different voltages and not overcharge it is worth it for a customer.

Firebird21
03-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I think you should look at a charger as an at cost thing you include above your profits. The insurance of making sure you can do mulitple sabers at different voltages and not overcharge it is worth it for a customer.

With xwing I agree...

You should make it an extra charge for the "Rechargeable Feature". If they want to spend the extra cash, let them. You'd be surprised what people will pay for in options. Look at car salesman. :wink:

Jonitus
03-04-2007, 12:24 PM
See, I had thought of perhaps encouraging a customer to purchase a charger (one of Tim's smart chargers), but when the average cost of one of my sabers is what it is...an extra $25 is a bit hard to swallow.

I'm using 4.8V packs in all my sabers right now, so having one charger that could handle multiple sabers at multiple voltages is not really something I have to worry about right now.

I'll have to look at some things and see if I could offer the smart charger and not put myself towards the red too far. I agree that a customer would really appreciate being able to plug their saber in and not have to worry about overcharging the batteries and FUBAR the saber.