PDA

View Full Version : Question on the store's switches

Jay-gon Jinn
03-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Are the switches in the store available in different heights? I need one that is about a 1/4 to 3/8 inches taller (on the threads) than what those are. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Strydur
03-03-2007, 10:54 AM
I have seen shorter but not longer.

Jay-gon Jinn
03-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks Tim. Anyone have any suggestions? I need a switch the same diameter, but taller.

supertrogdor
03-03-2007, 11:00 AM
i found one that was listed as a lamp switch once upon a time, that had a peg about twice as long as the ones tim stocks, in an electrical wholesale store, you might whip out the phone book and make a few inquiries

Jay-gon Jinn
03-03-2007, 02:51 PM
I tried that....not too many places in the phone book at all. Would it be possible to use a relay with a momentary switch to run an MR board?

xwingband
03-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Not really...

It'd be a major pain but have you looked through the catalogs of places like mouser.com and digikey.com?

Jay-gon Jinn
03-03-2007, 03:20 PM
It would be a major pain to use a relay, or look through those catalogs? :wink: I'll give 'em a look and see what I can find. As far as the relay goes, I would just be using the MR board to run the lux III led, I don't have Corbin's board. I remember reading in one of the threads about a relay stutter, but wasn't that with a K2?

virus692
03-03-2007, 04:20 PM
What about just making a Quick extension? just add a dowl to the switch...
Just A thought. :lol:

xwingband
03-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Pain to go through the catalogs. I go through the hard copy before I go online because it's hard to navigate online.

A momentary won't work with the relay... the reason it works is when used as others have before is because the MR and Hasbros treat the LED like a latching feature. It's on or not. Note that a relay won't work with any of the FOC Hasbros.

Jay-gon Jinn
03-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Okay, thanks x-wing! And you're right about the catalogs, but I found a couple that may work on mouser's...it was the easiest to use of the two, and I could pull up the technical specs of the switches and get dimensions for them.
Here's what I'm trying to make this work in:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/lux-saber-anodized-6.jpg
The switchbox was machined with a pocket on the bottom that just fits the Hasbro momentary switch perfectly. Under there is a .375" dia. hole for the wires. If you look closely at the calculator bubbles, you can see that they are split at the button. Under the front two bubbles is a hole that cold be enlarged to accept a different type of push button switch. The main problem is that there is about .250 inches worth of material thickness in the inner tube (the black anodized) wall and the outer tube (the over-tube body)wall combined at this point. this makes the depth too thick for the standard switches in the store to work....the threads don't come anywhere near far enough out of the hole to put the nut on. I could do away with the switchbox if I can find the right button....