PDA

View Full Version : Anodizing dyes to make copper color?

Jenny
04-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Hey, gang. I'm looking at doing some type ii anodizing at home as a consequence of the shop no longer offering the more complicated powder coat options. The part I'm coloring is the main gripping area, so I figure that anodizing will be more durable than at-home powder coating. Anyway, the point is, I've been looking at anodizing dyes, and the "copper" colors offered by Caswell et alia seem too orange to my eyes. So, questions:

1) Anyone have any advice for a good dye or dye mixture for achieving a finish that's more copper metalic and less jollypop copper?

2) Should I maybe be thinking about electroplating copper instead? Anyone have any thoughts on how durable that process is?

3) Is there some other option I haven't thought of, but should consider?

Thank you for your time and attention.

PhoenixHawk
04-09-2017, 07:42 AM
Yes the anodized copper is a bit more to the orange side...you have to mix with the blend till you get what you want. Most that do copper make there own by mixing some brown/bronze ...you have to to test blends till you get the hue your looking for. ...yes its a process. lol

Electroplating is fine as long as its thick enough. ...you don't want it rubbing off over time...being it the part you hold onto the most. ;)

You could try the Spectra Chrome ....but that's even more of a process...and you would have to take to a paint shop that dose it....unless you got $6000 bucks burning a hole in you pocket to buy your own unit. :D

jbkuma
04-09-2017, 08:07 AM
If you are trying to plate copper to aluminum it will not be easy. I have a bunch of process bookmarked, but haven't gotten around to trying any yet. Generally you need to plate something like nickle first, then copper. There is one tutorial I read to which a comment claimed to get a thin "strike" plating on aluminium. That plate layer would theoretically allow a thicker traditional plate.

In the end it's probably cheaper and safer to get the anodizing working or get the piece powder coated.

Jenny
04-10-2017, 01:34 AM
H'okie. I guess I'll be picking up some sampler squares and experimenting with dye mixes to find the true copper of my soul. :confused:

Though, looking at electroplating further, I do find myself wondering: what grade of aluminium does TCSS use?

Silver Serpent
04-10-2017, 05:18 AM
Last I heard, the MHS parts are T6 aluminum.

acerocket
04-10-2017, 01:10 PM
T6 is a temper, not a grade.

It is 6061 T6 aluminum (they actually have longer temper definitions, but in terms of finishing, the material composition is identical).

Jenny
04-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Thanks again, folks. That lets me pick up stock for testing anodizing and plating before I commit with my valuable TCSS machined parts!

jbkuma
04-10-2017, 04:39 PM
I look forward to your results!

Jenny
04-10-2017, 07:50 PM
I look forward to your results!

Well, don't hold your breath... remember that it takes me a long time to actually gather all the resources I need, and find the spoons to play with it.

jbkuma
04-19-2017, 07:01 PM
I came up with this while experimenting with paints:
http://jbkuma.com/workshoppe/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/image.png

I used a dark grey etching primer and copper enamel. It actually looks really good in person. My only concern is long term durability. I've been debating how to finish it.

Jenny
04-19-2017, 07:41 PM
I've been looking at this stuff (http://www.eastwood.com/2k-aerospray-matte-clear.html) which is an automotive-grade clear matte coat. It's a bit spendy, and you have to do all you're going to do with the can within 48 hours of opening it, but it's apparently durable like whoa.