PDA

View Full Version : Help with Hasbro S.B. wiring...

sreber00
04-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Hey all...

I just started blade building and I am starting cheap so I don't waste good money on mistakes. So I am using a Hasbro Blade-Builders Obi-Wan saber, but I am taking out the blue LED and replacing it with a red Cree-XPE2 LED (2.6v max at 350 mA). I am also including a super bright red LED (2.4v max at 20 mA) for a crystal chamber. I am using a 9v battery because I want the staying power, I am assuming a 9v will last longer that 3 X 1.5v.

I understand that the red Cree LED needs to be resisted because the blue LED that the saber came with takes more voltage. My question is, with a 9v, should or can I resist the sound board from a 9v to 4.5v, then resist the Cree LED from the 4.5v down to a safe voltage as not to burn it out? Will that work?

Thank in advance for Any help...

Stephen =]

Silver Serpent
04-04-2017, 07:06 PM
Don't use a 9v. They cannot put out enough current to run a high-powered LED like the Crees.

3xAA alkalines will run just fine, though you'll replace them fairly often. An upgrade to li-ion batteries will save you a ton of money in the long run.

BZWingZero
04-04-2017, 07:08 PM
A 9v battery will not last as long as 3xAA.

Your best bet is to start with the 2010 Hasbro Tutorial (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?10288-2010-Electronic-Lightsaber-w-DVD-Tutorial)

Your LED will need an appropriate resistor. Which will depend on your battery solution and the LED chosen.