PDA

View Full Version : Luke ROTJ Defect or Problem

Artifical_Lynx
02-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Man it's been a while since I've been here, Anyways here is the deal, I just got my new Luke ROTJ from ebay for a good price around 60 bucks and there is a problem when you swing the saber around, it'll shut off then turn back on when you spin it. Also when you tilt the saber a certain way it'll shut off and on over and over again. I thought it was the switch so I got a replace switch from here and still it continues to do the same problem. :( I don't know what to do at this point, Can anyone help out? Thanks :)

Lord Maul
02-26-2007, 09:52 PM
take it apart and test all of the connections. i've also heard that the battery pack pins can be a little bit wobbly so check those two :wink:

Artifical_Lynx
02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
That's what I thought, I already tried that and still it continues to do the same problem, I even made it to wear the battery pack is snugged really tight to the pins.

Madcow
02-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Definitely sounds like a bad connection somewhere. All you can do is take it apart and keep looking.
It could even be on the board itself.

MC

Lord Maul
02-26-2007, 10:07 PM
did you post this on fx sabers too? the whole problem sounds familiar :?
do what MC says. keep checking. give all the wires a tug to make sure they are on there good :wink:

Artifical_Lynx
02-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Yeah I have posted one already, I thought I fixed it but it still does the same thing, It's a pain when you have to put it back together over and over again. But I'll try doing that, is it possible that the sound board it self is defected, but then again it only does this in a certain position. Also I broke my switch board I did order another one so maybe the switch touching the metal might also be causing it. I'm not sure

Lord Maul
02-26-2007, 10:11 PM
you might just want to get the luke SB from here and use that. my guess if you have checked all the connections is that it is a bad board :wink:

Artifical_Lynx
02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
man I really hope that's not the case I can't afford a 50 dollar sound board. I'll keep trying to fuss around with the switch if not then I'll just test out each wire and see if there is anything that is loose other wise I might have to go hunting for a sound board.

Ryma Mara
02-27-2007, 05:09 AM
IMO the luke was the most cheaply made FX saber ever made.

Garbage it is.

I would say deffinatly check the wires, the pins on the battery connectons could be bad there.

Who on ebay did you get the luke from?

Artifical_Lynx
02-27-2007, 07:00 AM
yeah I'll have to go over the wiring again, but if it comes down to it I can take my Mace Windu sound board out and replace the Luke ROTJ sound board inside. I never really use my Mace windu because every time I spin it, it pretty much shuts off because the switch isn't in a good position.

fawnheart2000
02-27-2007, 07:51 AM
My Luke ROTJ sounds very low, I've tried new batteries and reseating the battery pack. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Firebird21
02-27-2007, 11:45 AM
My guess is the battery pack...

Check the pin connections. They may be dirty, clean them, scrape them, whatever. I'm thinking that when you swing it the pack shifts and looses the connection.

Even try taping a small pice of Tin Foil on the connections to help aid contact.

You could also check the battery connections. If there's even one small speck of corrosion on one of the battery connections that could cause this problem.

Hope this helps.

Artifical_Lynx
02-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Yep I did try to make the battery pack a bit tighter again, it seems to be working just fine, I'm still waiting for my new switch box to come in since I did messed up the other one taking this thing apart. But if it starts messing up again I might have to do your suggestion and just use a bit of tin foil and place it on the pins. Every little bit helps. Thanks everyone

vortextwist
02-27-2007, 02:10 PM
If you like your mace other than it shutting off on you? turn the switch around, I did that when I converted it. works great.

MasterStoney
02-27-2007, 02:54 PM
i turned my vader around and it helps from shutting off when swinging.

MasterStoney
02-27-2007, 02:56 PM
My Luke ROTJ sounds very low, I've tried new batteries and reseating the battery pack. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Have you ever dropped it? i dropped my anakin once and the sound got real crappy, what happend was when i dropped it it pushed the cone in the speaker in and made it sound muffled.

fawnheart2000
02-27-2007, 05:43 PM
No I've never dropped it. I might take it apart and check it out. Also might put in a new luke sound board that I have.

jjshumpert
02-27-2007, 06:35 PM
the luke has a problem with the batt. packs, ive had quite a few that the sound was off on. its really a shame considering the luke is the only mr ive found that has a working resonating chamber. you've got 2 options, the speakers tim stocks i found him specifically as a mr replacement. you can either use it in place of your stock speaker, or you can use a 3AA mr battery pack, move the module pack down in the hilt to make your connections, and put your speaker between the led and your relocated module. a few slits with a 420 cutoff wheel between the ribs and youve got an awesome resonating chamber

fawnheart2000
02-27-2007, 08:17 PM
I already have some replacement speakers I'll try that first since I wouldn't need to take it all apart again.

Lord Maul
02-27-2007, 08:19 PM
the luke has a problem with the batt. packs, ive had quite a few that the sound was off on. its really a shame considering the luke is the only mr ive found that has a working resonating chamber. you've got 2 options, the speakers tim stocks i found him specifically as a mr replacement. you can either use it in place of your stock speaker, or you can use a 3AA mr battery pack, move the module pack down in the hilt to make your connections, and put your speaker between the led and your relocated module. a few slits with a 420 cutoff wheel between the ribs and youve got an awesome resonating chamber

dang JJ, you're full of bright ideas :D
the vader mod, now this, when will it end :?:

Artifical_Lynx
02-28-2007, 01:18 AM
I fixed it, yup I had a feeling that it was the sound board, I swapped sound boards with my Mace Windu and now my Mace is shutting off and on everytime I spin it. So that was a problem solved but now my Mace Windu has the problem but I really don't like the Mace in General, I'm just glad to save my Luke ROTJ. That solves the problem of the Defect and it was the sound board that was defected. Thanks everyone for helping me out.

Ryma Mara
02-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Now you can take the sound board and hook it up the the driver sold here.

jjshumpert
02-28-2007, 06:45 AM
DM, little brother... i have many many more working mods for mr's that i havent shared yet...

Artifical_Lynx
02-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Yeah your right when I get the cash and the time I'll have to buy another sound board for the Mace Windu and replace it so it'll be running at 100%, This is my first MR that I ever had to have a defect before. I don't know if it's just me or I'm imaging it but for some odd reason my luke sounds even louder than it did before and the whole hilt vibrates from the sound, the sound easily over powers the Anakin ROTS, it drowns it littery. I'm hoping it's just me.

james3
02-28-2007, 07:19 AM
JJ knows his snitz guys.

There was a Luke that I converted for someone that would do the same thing. I am guessing since I didn't take it apart but I think if the speaker gets just the slightest off placement in dampens. Their hilt came to me that way and it was not something they were worried about so I didn't really check it.

I still need to get a Luke for myself. :oops:

Artifical_Lynx
02-28-2007, 07:22 AM
You can do what I'm doing right now, step by step making a Luke ROTJ FX from scratch, all I need is the adapter, soundboard and battery adapter along with the battery pack and it's done. If I do this one it'll be my very first lightsaber that I have made from nothing.

Phantom21
02-28-2007, 11:03 AM
You can do what I'm doing right now, step by step making a Luke ROTJ FX from scratch, all I need is the adapter, soundboard and battery adapter along with the battery pack and it's done. If I do this one it'll be my very first lightsaber that I have made from nothing.

I would love to do that. Didn't someone do that with all CSS parts? That would be so 8) 8) 8)

supertrogdor
02-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Firebird did that one, and a mighty fine job he did, there is an entire thread talking about what he did to it Here (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1739)

james3
02-28-2007, 01:00 PM
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_spit.gif

What I mean is I want to get a Luke stock MR for my collection, have not done that yet. Converted a few and could always pick up a broken one. And like a good buddy of mine that started the MHS Luke project, I went a little different route with the MHS.

My Jaina deal (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1850&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Firebird21
02-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Firebird did that one, and a mighty fine job he did, there is an entire thread talking about what he did to it Here (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1739)

Glad you approve. :D

supertrogdor
02-28-2007, 03:24 PM
I went through a phase where if i did not have anything benificial to contribute (where i found hard to find parts, wiring ideas or assistance, pictures of sabers that i actually built...) i only responded to direct questions. I should have added thoughtful comments as appropriate, but there was soooooooooooooooo much doo doo floating around the forums that i was disassociating myself from it. Most of your MHS Luke project happened at that time which is why i didn't comment on it before. It really is a fine piece of work, and additional props to you on it with interest and stuff.