PDA

View Full Version : Soldering through holes, or flat on the board?

Tom Tilmon
03-07-2017, 10:30 AM
I have a question, or a poll if you will. The board I am currently working with has a positive/negative connection that are dangerously close to one another, and dangerously small.

Are you all putting the wire through the hole on the board and then soldering the back sides, or are you soldering straight to the board? Like pre-tinning board and wire, just laying the wire down flat on the appropriate spot?

I am thinking, at least for the battery connections on this board, that I should put the wire through, but most of the tutorial videos I've watched show a surface solder on all wires. Is there some reason not to use the holes?

Tom

darth_chasm
03-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Best practice is flat. Through hole opens up risk of breakage leading to bad things ;)

jbkuma
03-07-2017, 01:15 PM
A decently made flat connection should be no less secure in use, but far easier to undo. De-soldering a through hole connection can be frustrating and will lead to a damaged board all too easily.

Denz
03-10-2017, 06:40 AM
Flat across the hole is best overall. Flat offers many advantages over putting wire through the hole.

-Denzil