PDA

View Full Version : NBV3 difficulties firing up...

erlomd1932
03-02-2017, 08:20 AM
Hello again! hope all is well!

I have problem with my NBV3

just got it in the mail yesterday and wired it up. (I've installed like 5 of these this year alone) so I'm pretty well versed on wiring these NBV3's up.

Im not getting anything when I remove the kill key...

The battery charges with the recharge port so I know that can't be the issue and none of the pads on the soundboard are touching

I did however notice that when I bridge the battery (-) to the "all else" (-) on the soundboard, then I do get activation...if I hold it there long enough (with the wire bridged) I can also ignite it and cycle through the sound fonts...otherwise if its not bridged it will not work.

any ideas?

RECAP...

With the recharge port prongs facing you (and the middle prong facing down) I have:

Right: Red Power Wire (+)
Bottom: Black Battery Wire (-)
Left: White sound card wire (-)

everything else on the soundboard is properly wired and soldered in its correct location

SD card has been re-formatted with original sound fonts and config files re-installed

will only boot up, ignite, light up, swing, clash and power down if there is a wire bridged from the (-) of the soundboard to the (-) of the battery

and the recharge port will recharge the battery when connected to the charger...

Im a little confused here...if you can shed some light on it...(a friend of mine is also running into the same issue)

Thanks

RogueSyProject
03-02-2017, 08:41 AM
First off welcome to the forum of knowledge and wisdom that is saberhood (Stolen like a true nord of sky... nevermind.)

That sounds pretty horrible to say the least and I really hope I don't run into that! I think I totally fired my first of four NBv3 XD maybe I just wired it wrong too hmm :oops:. I'm sorry but I am of no help since the second board was installed correctly by myself but, I will follow this thread just in case I find anything out (most likely I won't DC, Greenie, or JSK will swoop in and save the day!)

GregTheForce
03-02-2017, 08:43 AM
I'm not an expert when it goes to this, but did you ground yourself or used an esd-safe soldering station? Where did you get the power jack from? It may has different legs...

Thalan the Exiled
03-02-2017, 08:43 AM
Well as far as I can tell from your description the recharge port is wired right(just did one yesterday). Only thing I could think is maybe the wire to thebboard from the port is bad. But since you said someone else is having the same issue that is unlikely. Could be the switch inside the recharge port is broken. But again unlikely you both have bad ports. I am at a loss for any other solutions. Hopefuly one of the Masters here can come up with something.

Silver Serpent
03-02-2017, 09:19 AM
From your description, it sounds like a faulty recharge port.

erlomd1932
03-02-2017, 09:40 AM
thanks guys! I bought all my supplies here from TCSS...I have run into a bad recharge port in the past from TCSS...so it may be no surprise that it is...Ill try a new recharge port and see if thats the issue...

regarding my friends NBV3, he opted for no recharge port so his issue is separate from the entire recharge port problem.

either way, I have a few recharge ports lying around that I purchased recently from TCSS so Ill try that out and see if that may be the problem...whats weird is why would it charge then? if the recharge port was bad, wouldn't it not be able to charge?

jbkuma
03-02-2017, 09:44 AM
You can simply connect the grounds and see if the board boots up. If the port is bad it means the lead going to the saber wouldn't switch on.

RogueSyProject
03-02-2017, 09:48 AM
I would agree with that now that I think about it my faulty (or broken) recharge port caused my saber to go into a boot up loop and crash so that makes sense to me.

erlomd1932
03-02-2017, 11:33 AM
ERV confirmed that its a recharge port issue...

Silver Serpent
03-02-2017, 11:37 AM
if the recharge port was bad, wouldn't it not be able to charge?

If the positive terminal and the negative (battery) terminal are good, but the negative (board) terminal is bad, you'll get the results you've described. Recharge ports are a common cause of failure, which is why TCSS has started carrying the higher-quality SwitchCraft versions. It's still possible to get a bad batch of them, but it's a lot less likely.

erlomd1932
03-02-2017, 01:44 PM
thanks! guys...I guess I got the "Bad Batch"...luckily I bought 3 of them!