PDA

View Full Version : Fabric for a robe.

Orgazmo1109
02-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Is there a specific fabric that was used in the SW movies? i want a jedi and a sith and want them as authentic as possible.

LordArgyll
02-23-2007, 01:36 PM
The brown robe fabric was essentially vintage blanket fabric from WWII, found in some warehouse. The chances of finding the exact fabric used are next to zero. A fabric called melton wool is about the closest match you can find, but expect to pay a lot for it... wool is expensive.

Check out the forums on www.thejediassembly.com for more input on this sort of stuff, or www.padawansguide.com. The costuming boards on http://boards.theforce.net are also a good resource.

Orgazmo1109
02-23-2007, 01:46 PM
doesnt have ot be exact i guess what i should have said was a good fabric to use that isnt totally outrageously expensive. i was hoping to make it for under 40$ or so.

supertrogdor
02-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Go down to the fabric shop and dig through what is available... odds on you will find something you like

LordArgyll
02-23-2007, 02:18 PM
A lot of costumers swear by heavy (bottomweight) cotton twill. I've got some heavy cotton blanket flannel (has that slightly fuzzy, wooly look to it) that I'm going to dye up and see how it turns out.

elrond.406
02-23-2007, 05:10 PM
The brown robe fabric was essentially vintage blanket fabric from WWII, found in some warehouse. The chances of finding the exact fabric used are next to zero. A fabric called melton wool is about the closest match you can find, but expect to pay a lot for it... wool is expensive.

Check out the forums on www.thejediassembly.com for more input on this sort of stuff, or www.padawansguide.com. The costuming boards on http://boards.theforce.net are also a good resource.

(Boba Fett's cape was from the fabric used for WWII Tents :wink: ) 8)

neophyl
02-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Even with cheap fabric, to do it right will cost a fair bit as a proper pattern outer robe uses 8-9 yards of material for an average height person.

Theres shortcuts you can take to reduce the amount of material used but it depends if you want something that looks Jedi-ish or something that looks like it could have come from the set.

I used some homespun wool I bought from a re-anactors market that cost a small fortune, but the look, feel and flow is superb so worth the money I spent. Ive upgraded nearly all the parts of my Jedi costume at one time or another, all except for my outer robe. There just isnt anything I can think of to improve it so doing things right the first time saves you money in the long run.

LAN-ED-TUL
02-23-2007, 07:42 PM
i used a cotton twill basically jean weight fabric. it was white, so then all i had to do was dye to color i wanted.

Ryma Mara
02-23-2007, 08:03 PM
The actual fabric was a type of wool.

Melton IIRC.

Jay-gon Jinn
02-23-2007, 10:36 PM
I made one my outer robes from a micro-suede look material from Jo-Ann's fabrics. It took about ten yards and cost around $40, I think. I'd have to find the receipt...but here's what it looks like:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/jay-gonjinn-05-hood.jpghttp://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/jay-gonjinn2006robe_saber-1.jpg
It was made froma modified McCall's robe pattern.

Ryma Mara
02-23-2007, 10:58 PM
How well does it flow when you walk and in the wind?

Oh and stay away from any flannel type material. after a while it will ball up and look like poo.

If ya want accuracy its melton wool. a cotton or cotton twill is a good alternative if ya live in a hot area and wool and heat you will end up cooling in the thing.

especally if your wearing many layers under it like the jedi do.

Jay-gon Jinn
02-23-2007, 11:46 PM
It has a nice flow to it, as it isn't a very heavy material. The hood has a tendency to fall off in the wind, and when walking fast, but I like it anyway. My other robe is made from cotton flannel, and it still looks pretty good, even after 3 years of use.

Ryma Mara
02-24-2007, 02:05 AM
Nice. Are you a member of the Jedi Assembly?

Yeah the hood thing seems to happen all the time. what alot of people do is take a curved brush of somesort and have it sown into the hood. but in a place where it cant be seen when the hood is down.

Jay-gon Jinn
02-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Nope. Just the Rebel Legion!

Ryma Mara
02-26-2007, 07:10 PM
TJA has alot of good custuming info.

And it seems that most of the RL folks are also on TJA.

Check them out.