PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions (not dumb ones)

vortextwist
02-21-2007, 05:56 PM
1. What would you get first? The other half of your MR maul saber for your double maul, or get an obi MR?

2. Has anyone tried to use hi grit sand paper on the outside of their polyc blade? I was thinkin of trying it to keep it all uniform with the other scratches and stuff and wandered what it would look like.

elrond.406
02-21-2007, 06:01 PM
1. What would you get first? The other half of your MR maul saber for your double maul, or get an obi MR?

2. Has anyone tried to use hi grit sand paper on the outside of their polyc blade? I was thinkin of trying it to keep it all uniform with the other scratches and stuff and wandered what it would look like.

1. The maul :twisted:

2. No I haven't, but recall some people have... :wink:

Ryma Mara
02-21-2007, 06:03 PM
no they sanded the inside of the blade, hes talking about the outside of the blade.

And I say the obi wait for another maul to pop up for 50$

Firebird21
02-21-2007, 06:06 PM
James sanded the out side of his EL blade and he liked the outcome. I sandblasted the inside and that's growing on me.

Ryma Mara
02-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Do you know how he did it or what grit paper he used?

jjshumpert
02-21-2007, 06:17 PM
if i remember right he used somewhere in the 100 to 320 range, but dont quote me on that... ive seen his son's saber and it looks pretty good and doesnt need a diffusor. i would say go with a 220

Firebird21
02-21-2007, 06:19 PM
The only problem is that wacking stuff will make marks in the finish and may create bright or dark spots when lit.

Ryma Mara
02-21-2007, 06:21 PM
How much better is it than the bright or dark spots in the duffuser tube.

Firebird21
02-21-2007, 06:26 PM
How much better is it than the bright or dark spots in the duffuser tube.

Sorry I was refering to sanding outside vs. inside. I get the same effect by blasting the inside without having to worry about resanding it after every duel.

But, sanding it makes it less slippery which makes it easier to "lock-up" so there's good and bad to each idea.

BTW: I still use the defusor.

Ambo
02-21-2007, 06:40 PM
first and foremost.....

1. Where ya gonna get the coupler that only comes in the double maul set that joins the two together?

And secondly.....

2. Sanding the outside of the blade (or frosting) gets a similar effect as Corbin's film gives it, but not as good lookin, and has a weird way of changing how it looks depending at what angle you are looking at the blade....and you will have to use a coarse sand paper rather than fine because you have to basically make the ridges that reflect out the light....and the scratches do this by basically refracting the light outward.....but again.....Corbin's film, even single wrap, is exponentially better......and again having to sand it after every time dueling will eventually thin out the blade in spots and eventually make an uneven looking blade.

vortextwist
02-21-2007, 06:44 PM
[quote="Ambo"]first and foremost.....

1. Where ya gonna get the coupler that only comes in the double maul set that joins the two together?
quote]

actually the one I have came with an coupler. plus I see some on ebay for like 5 bucks.

why does there always have to be a good and a bad with things. Oh well, I wanted to get some opinions before I went and messed up a 30$ blade. thanks guys.

elrond.406
02-21-2007, 06:50 PM
first and foremost.....

Each single mauler comes with a coupler... :roll: :P

Ryma Mara
02-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Well his first maul dident.

Nightwing
02-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Get the Maul saber; the single version is way too short to use effectively.

'Far as I know, all the single Mauls come with a coupler. Either way, it doesn't matter since he says he has one.

vortextwist
02-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Well his first maul dident.

becouse when I bought it, It was just to gut anyhow and they said it didn't come with one. Well I got the maul, man that thing is long. good thing, tim should have the kits done sometime.

Marsupial
02-21-2007, 10:37 PM

1- I'd get a double maul, not quite fond on the neck of the obi... but the double maul is fun to twirl. (that's juste me.)

2- I tried sanding the outside of my thinwalled polyC tube with 320 grit sandpaper and did not like it - luminosity might be a little higher, but the whole aspect of the blade looses its profesionalism IMHO - I highly prefer a blade that hasn't been sanded. (again, that's just me, but I have various types of blades, and I wont sand any of them now that I tried)
maybe sandblasting the inside??

on another note, I currently use 2 doublewraps + 3 singlewraps of corbin's film in a single thinwalled blade - I like how it looks. a good reflective tip makes a huge difference, more then sanding the outside. I have received my shouldered tips from corbin's components (pre-fusion) and it is a lot better then my 3M crystalic reflective film discs I was using before.

hope this helps.

Ryma Mara
02-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Much it does. But the fact that with the outside of it sanded I love the fact that the blades dont slide around each other cause well VT hurt my thumb when his blade slid.

That fricking hurt

vortextwist
02-22-2007, 03:53 AM
thanks everyone for your input, Ryma you just need a new emitter. :lol:

Firebird21
02-22-2007, 05:24 AM
Here's some pics of my sandblasted blade for comparison...

Blasted (w/ defutor).......................................... ............................Stock
http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/blue1.jpghttp://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/blue2.jpg

If you want more let me know, these were already uploaded. And that's rather true to color also, just a smidgen on the drak side to better show the effect of the blasting.

Ryma Mara
02-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Looking good fb.

VT I figured otu what iam gonna do with this saber, I just need a pice of pvc pipe to make the shroud.

Any advice as to what size will fit over the mhs?