PDA

View Full Version : CF 8 FoC on board resistor

RogersSSR1941
01-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Hi, Im working on a CF 8 for the first time and I want to get the right on board resistor for my FoC. I've worked on NB 3s and a Prizm but those use in line resistors. The manual recommends using a 2512 SMD resistor. The forward voltage on a white die from TCSS is 3.1v and using a 7.4 v pack, I need a 4.3 ohms resistor. The manual also recommends using only a 2w. So I think I got it, but the one in stock at Mouser is $7 while the others that have a wait time are less than $1. So is this the right one or can someone recommend another location to buy one from?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Sfernice/CHP2512L4R30GNT/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvdGkrng054t66ErZpBPWycU5yi5bx%2fMaib mVSWZIzftA%3d%3d

Silver Serpent
01-14-2017, 09:38 AM
The 2512 SMD resistors are only needed if you're going to install the resistor on-board. You still have the option to use inline resistors instead.

RogersSSR1941
01-14-2017, 11:12 AM
Thank you. I want to avoid in line resistors because I plan on using a Goth 3d crystal reveal chamber on a KR Hero. I don't want the bulky resistor I would need for a 7.4 v battery.The wires will be twisted slightly when removing the grenade section for the reveal, so on board is preferable. Is that the right one?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-14-2017, 12:46 PM
Onboard SMD resistors are only recommended up to 3W IIRC, and you would need more like a 5W resistor for a 7.4V pack.

RogersSSR1941
01-15-2017, 09:34 AM
I get what your saying but why is there a footprint on the board for it then? Erv says in the manual that you only need a 2 or 3w due to the fact that it will be FoC only and powered up for a 10 second max.

Silver Serpent
01-16-2017, 08:13 AM
The CF was originally the master-level sound board. Some smiths have such mastery of cram-fu that they don't have room for standard resistors in their builds, and the SMD resistors are the only option. The 2w and 3w work fine for FoC. If you use the lockup effect for more than a few seconds, you can burn out the resistors.

That being said, if you've never soldered SMD components, you probably don't appreciate just how *tiny* these things are. I've done SMD soldering, and it's not the easiest thing in the world. I'll go for standard inline resistors if I have the opportunity.