PDA

View Full Version : MR board on house current

StrangeWings
02-19-2007, 12:22 AM
So anyone have an idea of what I would need to use to have a mr board run from a wall socket. I am going to make a light box for my OT cover transparency and want to have it make the saber sounds when it comes one. There is most likley going to be 3 florescent lights in it as well.

Lord Maul
02-19-2007, 10:24 AM
you would need to resistor the crap out of the house plug. there could only be as much power as 3 to 4 AA batteries going to the board. otherwise it would send up the magic smoke :shock:

Jonitus
02-19-2007, 11:59 AM
You'll need a step-down transformer to take 110V AC and turn it to 4.5-6V DC.

At one time, Radio Shack used to sell a "Universal" power supply that could plug into the wall, and it had a slide selector switch ranging from 3 volts up to 9 volts. Maybe you could find one of those?

02-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Yeah Jonitus, RS still carries them. Saw one today.

StrangeWings
02-19-2007, 09:21 PM
I dont know if the power supply would work. I want to only have one switch that turns on the lights and the board.

erv
02-20-2007, 07:12 AM
just wire the wallmount adapter to the MR Board, and use the stock MR switch to control power on/off. The stock switch is not so practical, but it can be replaced by any kind of switch, even a pedal switch or a lamp switch.
*reads back the first message*
mmm, ok then, so you need a fluo control and sound fx from the board (I though you would like to use a luxeon from the board for the light thing.
ok :
the fluo tubes are powered by a special inverter converting 110 v to something like 1600 V or 3000V.
Take a multi-outlet
wire the fluo balast to a plug, plug it into one outlet
put the wall mount DC adapter in the multi outlet as well
shorten the 2 wires of the on/off switch of the MR board
Now what you just need is to power on/off the AC side of the system. To try is out, manually plug the multioutlet into a AC outlet : the fluo light up and the MR board as well.
Now 2 options :
use a multioutlet with an onboard switch (generally red)
http://www.magelec.com/divers/multiprise.jpg
or cut the wire of the multi outlet and wire a pedal switch in the middle, like this one. Make sure to choose a model that accepts enough power for the fluos.
http://www.vimar.it/images/catalogo/foto/00680.jpg

what kind of fluo are you using ? cold cathode ones ? or regular house/garage fluos (might be big for the application you're planning)

that's it !
Erv'

StrangeWings
02-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks erv and everyone :D I'm still in the planning stages so I dont know what kind of light. I plan these type of things in my head while I am giving my daughter a bottle at night. Nothing else to do. I think I am going to try and mount 2 .45 scale mr sabers on it also. One on each side. And then use colored acrylic rods as blades and have the light shine through them as well.

erv
02-20-2007, 12:37 PM
if you're looking for a cool way to light up your transparent box, you have two cheap options : cold cathode tubes (powered by a DC 12 wallmount adapter), or EL wire.
http://media.ldlc.com/ld/products/00/00/50/93/LD0000509367_2.jpg

EL wire can be found at TCSS !
Good luck for your project !
Erv'