PDA

View Full Version : How do you run 2 5watters on a single power source?

Ryma Mara
02-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Iam trying to figure out how you run say 2, 5 watters off a single power sourse and still keep the brightness of both leds.

How much more of a drain on the batteries would I expect?

Would 2, 6AA battery holders one on top of the other would it fit in the MHS? How much difference in runtime is there compared to 9v to AA's?

Lord Maul
02-18-2007, 02:17 PM
run say 2, 5 watters off a single power sourse and still keep the brightness of both leds.
i think you would have something like this

batt pack---------switch (can't be mom)-----------resistor-----5 watter
.................................................. ......\----------resistor-----5 watter
and then you would have the two negative lines run back to the battery pack.

How much more of a drain on the batteries would I expect?
for 6 AAs it would drain around twice as fast as a MR conversion with a 3 watter

Would 2, 6AA battery holders one on top of the other would it fit in the MHS?

if you mean stacked on top of each other, i don't think so. it would be too wide.

jjshumpert
02-18-2007, 11:13 PM
if you were doing a staff long enough doing 2 bat packs would be fine, you could run them on one switch if you wanted to without alot of extra work. if you wanted to do a single blade hilt with exposed lighted crystal you would be better off using 5w electronics kit along with a luke mr and let the sound module run your secondary 3w or k2 like your standard mr conversion.

http://a661.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/62/l_3f7cb67a9dea2ae7e3c8ad6cc150aa2c.jpg

Ryma Mara
02-19-2007, 10:01 AM
I was just gonna resistor it after much thought.

but the diagram will be helpfull down the road.

thanks

xwingband
02-19-2007, 04:28 PM
I was just gonna resistor it after much thought.

but the diagram will be helpfull down the road.

thanks

For 5W's that's a huge waste. Why not a driver? It doesn't need to be a puck.

Ryma Mara
02-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Well I plan on using this for my saber in the email I sent to you,corbin and tim and I dont know. This morning when I was typinbg up the email I said hell with it and go with 2 3watters instead.

I was thinking of a driver but I would very much like to get ervs board for it but Iam not sure how well it would work, would it work if I series the leds or if that would fry something and the last thing I want to do is fry a board.

I could prolly go with corbins board But iam not sure yet cause then I would have to add sound to it. But I dont have to but I would want to.

So, I will figure it out one of these days but I do know Iam gonna have to when the cash rolls in for that bladeholder.

neophyl
02-20-2007, 05:07 AM
It would work if you series the leds as even in series they need less voltage than the 9 volts max that Erv's board uses.

Bescherman
02-20-2007, 09:17 AM
This is one of the same issues I'm facing. I've posted the questions in my thread here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2116&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I'm not sure about the series parallel issue yet but I did work out that a buckpuck is a step down driver which would basically make your batteries last longer than a resistored circuit (and a micropuck is a step up driver for small hilts with low voltages)

XWINGBAND: Would you mind pointing me in the direction of other "non puck" drivers please? I'm looking at options. Do you know how to build a MOSFET driver yourself as 'Erv mentioned it's fairly easy to do in his blade tutorial. I'm still looking into this area so sorry if some of the answers are blindingly obvious!!! :D

xwingband
02-20-2007, 09:29 AM
I haven't gotten one yet, but at some point I plan to use one of these:

http://www.dotlight.de/shop/index.php/cPath/100_108

They take voltage a lot easier. At 24V max that a lot of LED power.

neophyl
02-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Ive used the konlux drivers before. For a 'vanilla' driver (no power up/down) they are great.
Ive got one of the 1050ma versions in my Dooku sabre along with a cut down MaulFX for sound.

Dotlight is also where I bought them from, helps that Im in the UK :) Delivery is always quick and Ive not had any problems from them as yet. Ive been buying stuff from them for 2 years now.

Ryma Mara
02-20-2007, 06:06 PM
Ok so I was talking to corbin and erv and both there boards will run2 leds in series and thats awsome news. Iam more than likely gonna go with corbins and think about what iam gonna do for sound. not sure if I want it yet but if I do Iam gonna see if I can get just a sound board made.

Lord Maul
02-20-2007, 07:26 PM
there is also ultra's board. it will run one 5 watter, but you might be able to have two on it in series. email him about that :wink:

Ryma Mara
02-20-2007, 07:46 PM
WellI would like to find out how well his board works before I even think of that.

I mean I know how corbins and ervs works and they are a pritty darn good board. I just need to see how well ultras fairs before Its in the thought process.

Ya know.

xwingband
02-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I'd wait on Ultra's videos.

I've read this:
-Will handle 12V (Two LEDs no problem)
-Momentary (control of LED is all software based, a voice speaks to you for the settings)
-Set sounds, not customizable (maybe just for the initial release, but that's my own conjecture)
-Ramp on/off (I want to see it first, Erv's is different from corbins, etc...)

Lord Maul
02-20-2007, 08:01 PM
well, i can write a review of it if any of you want. i'll be getting it once it comes out 8)

Ryma Mara
02-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeah but regardless of what board I go with it has to work with 2 leds 3watt or 5 watt.

Iam leaning twards 3 watters cause I want amber but man the thought of 10watts Just get me all worked up.

But then I would only want to go with green cause I dont really want any of the blues and if I got a 5watt cyan I would want to put it in my current saber and I dont want to do that cause Iam pritty adament with keeping the mr board for this one.

So I may just do a coin toss :D

Lord Maul
02-20-2007, 08:22 PM
well, two three watters is about the same as a 5 watter so you could just use ultras board and set it to the 5 watt setting. :wink:
that's what i was gonna do before i realized that i could just use a 5 watter and then put in a resistor wiried to the switch that would power the crystal chamber :idea:

Bescherman
02-21-2007, 01:49 AM
I haven't gotten one yet, but at some point I plan to use one of these:

http://www.dotlight.de/shop/index.php/cPath/100_108

They take voltage a lot easier. At 24V max that a lot of LED power.

Ive used the konlux drivers before. For a 'vanilla' driver (no power up/down) they are great.
Ive got one of the 1050ma versions in my Dooku sabre along with a cut down MaulFX for sound.

Dotlight is also where I bought them from, helps that Im in the UK :) Delivery is always quick and Ive not had any problems from them as yet. Ive been buying stuff from them for 2 years now.

Thanks for the recommendations. I found dotlight by myself but had no idea how good they were. Those driver boards look good too. Any idea of how good they are compared to a buckpuck? Is it just a price issue?

well, i can write a review of it if any of you want. i'll be getting it once it comes out 8)

I'm down for the very first UltraFX with an Ultrasoundboard (well.... two in fact because it's a double maul conversion). My friend is down for the third, a converted Luke ROTJ EL. All with Green K2s.

I'll be putting up a review as soon as possible after I receive them. With video shortlt after hopefully.

...anyway, back on topic! Anything about the new ultrasound board tends to derail topics pretty quick!

Ryma Mara
02-21-2007, 10:12 AM
tell your friend to keep that saber EL or forever will he not know what a collectors item he will have

Bescherman
02-21-2007, 12:16 PM
It's no good. The EL film in it is all smashed up and has holes in. He's been meaning to get it fixed for a couple of years. Besides, it's already with Alex of Ultrasabers!

Ryma Mara
02-21-2007, 01:43 PM
I would of taken the sheet out and replaced it with lime HB wire and coiled it with a couple inverters.