PDA

View Full Version : Next up: Jedi Temple Guard Saber

hapki
12-21-2016, 06:41 PM
I put other projects on hold to start a temple guard saber. According to the forums, the best way to get a yellow color is by using an RGB LED. Is that the consensus among the pros? I've ordered some brass and copper tube for shroudwork. I'm pretty excited about this project?

jbkuma
12-22-2016, 08:32 AM
I a tri amber, RGB, and RGrB. The tri-amber looks nice, but even fully powered it isn't as bright as the tuned R+G. I would guess an R+G+G would be your best bet because the red can over power then green, but I've never tried it.

Jay-gon Jinn
12-22-2016, 01:44 PM
I got this yellow with an RGB Tri-Cree using only the red and green:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/ATS%20Sabers/20161001_134043.jpg

And this one:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/ATS%20Sabers/20161001_133904.jpg

That was a crystal shard powered saber, the same colors can be achieved with a prizm or better card as well.

hapki
12-23-2016, 08:34 PM
Thanks. That's looks good.

hapki
12-23-2016, 08:37 PM
It also occurred to me that I might try one of the yellow blades with a white / white / amber tri Cree. Would that increase the brightness? (Probably using amber or other color for FOC). I've never used a color blade other than the proton blade before.

hapki
12-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Thanks. I'm leaning toward a R+G+G ( or white for FOC ).

nathanielreykun
12-23-2016, 10:08 PM
This might be a little bit taboo, but if you're willing to use more than just TCSS electronics, then I can confirm that I have a yellow saber from elsewhere that looks pretty perfect, especially for the Temple Guards.

jbkuma
12-23-2016, 10:16 PM
I'm really fond of my purple day blade. The FOC isn't as extreme, but it looks really nice all the time. I also have an enhanced amber and a blue day blade as well.

The enhanced amber blade looks really good with the mixed RG (significantly brighter than with the tri amber). The enhanced amber is fluoresces with blue, so the RGB FoC on that is really exceptional in the blade, the tip is a bit more reactive and goes to a really bright yellow with blue light. The material is somewhat cloudy so it also somewhat diffuse and looks great with orange and red too. I think it is probably the best alternative to the white blade for warm colors for people who like that effect.

hapki
12-24-2016, 08:49 AM
Thanks, http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/member.php?22140-nathanielreykun. I've found the service and craftsmanship at TCSS incomparable. I'm very loyal to TCSS for that reason.

hapki
12-24-2016, 08:57 AM
Thanks, jbkuma (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/member.php?22849-jbkuma). Now I'm leaning toward a colored blade. Even though canon temple guards use yellow blades, I really like the amber color. I may go with an enhanced amber. I'd try an enhanceed yellow, but none exists yet. Thanks again.

jbkuma
12-24-2016, 09:10 AM
This might be a little bit taboo, but if you're willing to use more than just TCSS electronics, then I can confirm that I have a yellow saber from elsewhere that looks pretty perfect, especially for the Temple Guards.

The colors achieved elsewhere can be achieved with the items from TCSS.

DarthSkummelavsky
01-11-2017, 11:22 AM
I have used several amber LEDs in saber builds, I would like to disagree with jbkuma a little about the difference in color mixing Red and Green to get yellow and using a straight up amber LED (same voltage source and optimizing resistor values for best results). If you measured the lumens of a R+G and then of a A+A LEDs they are probably real close. To me the difference is in the tint. The yellow is a vibrant warm color where the amber is more foreboding and sinister in appearance. I will agree that the yellow seems better suited for Jedi Temple Guards and the Amber is better suited for a Dark Jedi or a Sith whose has gone Grey Jedi

hapki
01-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Good to know. Thanks.

hapki
01-14-2017, 10:09 AM
I have a few more questions about how to get a good, bright yellow blade.

1. If I used the yellow day blade, what color(s) would be best with it?

2. Would it be best to use a diffuser with the yellow blade?

3. As an alternative to the yellow blade, would a R+G+A give me some ability to fine tune the color? (I'm using a Crystal Focus v7.5.). Or would the R+G+G still be the best option?

Thanks for the input.

PhoenixHawk
01-14-2017, 11:45 AM
1. You could just use a super bright white LED with the yellow tube....but ..go to 3.
2. Yes you always want to use a diffuser film in the blades....it evenly spreads the light all the way up the tube.
3. Using R+G+A LED instead would give you a way to fine tune the Yellow you want...also give you a vast array of choices of Flash on Clash colors.