PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Chamber question

MasterStoddard
12-06-2016, 10:25 PM
I am planning to build a crystal chamber and am wondering something. Where do you find or how do those of you who have done them make the radiator fins for your chambers?

Greenie
12-07-2016, 12:54 AM
I would use some brass sheet, probably about 1mm thick. Cut out pieces at roughly the required size, drill the holes needed and use one of them to bolt them all together, then turn/file to the shape you want. If you search for Slothfurnace's build logs you can find pics and descriptions from a proper saber smith. :)

darth_chasm
12-07-2016, 05:39 AM
You could also try brass washers or round stock shims and dremel and drill for desired shape and hole pattern.

MasterStoddard
12-10-2016, 02:51 PM
I kind of figured that I would end up having to use some sort of washers for them. The really fun part will be one section of fins as I intended to run wires through it to the blade LED. I'm looking at three sets of fins offset from the windows of the chamber.

MasterStoddard
12-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Does anyone know how big the opening in the spacers sold in the shop is.. I happened to come across a piece of metal tubing one night in the parking lot at work that looks to be the same size as the spacers. It's about an 1 1/4 inches long and I can fit 28 wires of very fine stranded computer wire through the opening in it. Sorry if the images are a little crappy, used my LG G-Stylo2 to take them and then cropped and resized in photoshop.

darth_chasm
12-21-2016, 11:05 AM
I don't have any in front of me, but they fit over 4-40 rods with a small amount of play. 4-40's are around 0.112 so I'd guess they are around 0.125 id.

MasterStoddard
12-21-2016, 01:20 PM
According to the shop pages regarding spacer, the inner diameter of the tube I found is about the same as the outer diameter of the spacers.. I may use this tube to run my wiring for the main blade LED and a second 5mm rgbw LED for lighting my crystal chamber. But I will see what can be done with pieces of the shops spacers as well before final assembly.