PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

bsman
02-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Hi im new but ive been lurking in the forums for awhile now ive learned alot but im still confused on 2 things

1) I dont get the heatsink thing so can some one explain that to me plz

2) If i get an MHS hilt do i need to still get a sink tube ( everything on my hilt is gonna be mhs except luke pommel

Let the flamming begin!!

Firebird21
02-16-2007, 11:16 AM

It holds the LED in place along with the lens and it also helps to keep the LED cool so it will last longer.

2) If i get an MHS hilt do i need to still get a sink tube ( everything on my hilt is gonna be mhs except luke pommel

No, you should be fine.

Let the flamming begin!!

We usually give a 3 stupid Q. buffer before we start flaming... There are exceptions though... In both directions. :wink:

bsman
02-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Also wats the differnce between heatsink and heatshrink ??

Firebird21
02-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Heatsink...
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/images/PRODUCT/large/649.jpg

Used with LED

Heatshrink...
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/832.jpg
Used to seal solder joints by sliding over joint and heating it up making it shrink and seal the joint.

bsman
02-16-2007, 11:33 AM
do i have to use a heatshrink or can i just solder it up regular way

Firebird21
02-16-2007, 11:37 AM
do i have to use a heatshrink or can i just solder it up regular way

The only other good alternative is to use electrical tape. You have to cover up the solder joint somehow or it will arc-out on the hilt or the adjacent wires and could potentially result in your batteries exploding, much less fry everything else first.

This is the "regular way".

vortextwist
02-16-2007, 11:41 AM
I beleive it also helps hold wires together, some of them are pretty small wires.

Firebird21
02-16-2007, 11:44 AM
I beleive it also helps hold wires together, some of them are pretty small wires.

Yeah that too...

And to head of an inevitable question... the difference between the Adhesive and Non-Adhesive Heatshrink tubing is that the adhesive lined H/S has Adhesive on the inside that melts when you heat it up and helps to further seal the joint and hold it together. I much prefer the Adhesive H/S myself. Worth the extra couple pennies.

james3
02-16-2007, 12:14 PM
If you don't have heatshrink( best option) or electrical tape (better option) you can use a hot glue gun and melt a glob on your soldered connection.

It works in a pinch.

Firebird21
02-16-2007, 12:15 PM
If you don't have heatshrink( best option) or electrical tape (better option) you can use a hot glue gun and melt a glob on your soldered connection.

It works in a pinch.

I've used masking tape....

I don't recomend it, but I have done it.

james3
02-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Yep, guilty of that one too.

I actually use masking tape on battery packs and such since they don't leave the sticky as bad.

Pirate King
02-16-2007, 03:06 PM
hot glue usually works for me

elrond.406
02-16-2007, 05:15 PM
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/CptCameron/fire.gif

You asked for it! :twisted: :lol: 8)

bsman
02-16-2007, 07:07 PM
thnx for all the info guys!!

Lord Maul
02-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Nimrod, SHUT UP!!!
that is totally unnecessary. so what if he is asking basic questions, you asked even MORE basic questions than these :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

james3
02-16-2007, 08:17 PM
After some of the posts I have read tonight I am wondering if that is a self portrait of Nimrod.

vortextwist
02-16-2007, 08:19 PM
It isn't so bad when the kids are in school, but look out after they get home.

Lord Maul
02-16-2007, 08:27 PM
it's crazy what some kids do at my school. they go to Starbucks every morning at 6:30 AM before school for their daily dose of caffine, and after school they do overnights on school nights :shock: :shock: :shock:

elrond.406
02-16-2007, 09:41 PM
After some of the posts I have read tonight I am wondering if that is a self portrait of Nimrod.

:shock: :? :evil: :roll: :P

Ambo
02-17-2007, 08:10 AM

It works in a pinch.

So I have officially turned you to the "hotgluegun"side huh....HEHEHEHEH....one who was once "anti-glue gun" man....

Firebird21
02-17-2007, 08:16 AM
I don't remember the last time I used my hot glue gun...

Ambo
02-17-2007, 08:29 AM
i use it a lot less than i use to myself.....i think it is due to me moving up in tech and doing less of the cob-job (no offense to anyone) sabers i use to make.......

vortextwist
02-17-2007, 09:19 AM
i'v only used it around the heatsink and the clash sensor.

Lord Maul
02-17-2007, 11:03 AM
yup, same here vortex.
but then it all like broke off when i assembled so it didn't really do much good :? :)

elrond.406
02-18-2007, 09:11 PM

Nimrod, SHUT UP!!!
that is totally unnecessary. so what if he is asking basic questions, you asked even MORE basic questions than these :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Hi im new but ive been lurking in the forums for awhile now ive learned alot but im still confused on 2 things

Let the flamming begin!!

Sheesh, I was only kidding :roll:

Lord Maul
02-18-2007, 10:47 PM
yeah, well we're sick of you "kidding" Nimrod :evil:
that's all you do these days. i'd like to see you go one week without making some dumb bass comment :evil:

elrond.406
02-19-2007, 06:17 PM
Fine, I will...::blasts off into exile::

Ryma Mara
02-19-2007, 07:37 PM
goodbye.

and welcome to the forums bsman.

987654321a
02-19-2007, 07:44 PM
cya nimrod,

james3 wrote:

whew kids these days.

Ambo
02-19-2007, 08:25 PM
thank god some of those"kids" from the past are able to be reformed....*cough* Countdown *cough* Maul (kinda) *cough*.

Ryma Mara
02-19-2007, 08:38 PM
That made my yogert come out my nose.

Lord Maul
02-19-2007, 09:05 PM
nice one ambo, at first i almost passed over it :?
and what's up with the (kinda)? CD and i have both been completely reformed :wink:

Jedi Ranger
02-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Hooorawwww - another wildly successful topic derailment!

Marsupial
02-20-2007, 10:36 AM
yeah, there seams to be more of those then the topics keeping on topic... :(

Firebird21
02-20-2007, 10:50 AM
yeah, there seams to be more of those then the topics keeping on topic... :(

Hey come on... this topic was wrapped up in the first page.

And this was one of the most entrtaining derailments in some time.

Marsupial
02-20-2007, 12:50 PM
after discussion with FB, I decided to take down my posts in this thread. I think they aren't necessary. Sorry folks.

Firebird21
02-20-2007, 01:10 PM
It just feels odd that 50% of the new posts I read aren't about saber making, but about whatevers and other bullcrap. There should be more valuable info and less off topic posts.

In theory you are correct. However, you must take into account that this is a social situation that requires the attendance of many saber building veterans in order for the information you speak of to be passed around freely and accurately.

The problem is that if that's all you do when you're here you're not going to be here very often, thereby hindering the wealth of saber knowledge from flowing freely on a daily basis. (Especially when you answer the same questions in one form or another 10 times in 10 different Topics.)

This is where an appropriate amount of derailing is essential to the survival of this network of saber building excellence. It keeps the forums entertaining and thus holding the interests of those who basically live here on a daily basis answering all the questions.

In return you get the answer to almost any saber building Q. in scarcely more than a couple hrs. and not days like many other boards.

It is a careful mix of fun and facts, but I think we pull it off nicely even if some days the BS is deeper than others.

Marsupial
02-20-2007, 01:45 PM
after discussion with FB, I decided to take down my posts in this thread. I think they aren't necessary.

1- is it useful?
2- is it nice?
3- is it necessary?

Firebird21
02-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Edit: I'm sorry guys, I'm deleting this post so as to not bring down the entire forum with usless dribble...

Sorry to anyone that may have read it.

Lord Maul
02-20-2007, 03:47 PM
aww snitz, i missed a deleted post again :cry: :shock: :x
mars, when i first joined i thought all of the bs posting was quite entertaining and i still do. it doesn't really do any harm, when we derail the thread once the question has been answered. firebird and the derailment squadron all are very respectful in the sense that they never derail when there is still a legit discussion going on. i personally love all of these kinds of topics because it makes for awesome and funny reads.
that is just my .02 cents :wink:

elrond.406
02-21-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm back from exile(LA for 2 days)! 8) Anyone miss me?

aww snitz, i missed a deleted post again :cry: :shock: :x
mars, when i first joined i thought all of the bs posting was quite entertaining and i still do. it doesn't really do any harm, when we derail the thread once the question has been answered. firebird and the derailment squadron all are very respectful in the sense that they never derail when there is still a legit discussion going on. i personally love all of these kinds of topics because it makes for awesome and funny reads.
that is just my .02 cents :wink:

I totally agree, and mars, Tim sometimes joins in on the snitz and Xwing steps in when things get, umm, "out of hand"