PDA

View Full Version : Dooku style Hilt

JediHilt
02-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Do you think it's possible to take an MHS part such as emitter7 and cut slots into the side of it almost all the way over to the other side then heat and bend the piece closing the gaps producing a curve if you look at dooku's hilt the markings at the joints of the curves suggest his hilt would of been made this way then use a epoxy to fill in the rills and give it streangth.

notice the rills in this picture at the joints
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n68/M9man/dooku_render.jpg

987654321a
02-14-2007, 11:14 PM
that would be a pretty hard emitter to make seeing as how it curves and that a lathe cant do curves and if you take it to a muffler shop it would probably brake. you could make the hilt overall the OD bigger but the top part of the emitter would be easy to make on a lathe but the curved part you would rip the metal. yes aluminum can rip if enough pressure is applied to it.

xwingband
02-15-2007, 05:21 AM
The aluminum will fold... no can do.

Yoiaholic
02-15-2007, 07:33 AM
There is another sabersmith that can bend aluminum tubes with mixed success. but most of the bends come from the 1/2 point of the saber and back...

If he is able to refine the process to allow for design before the bend and retain what you are looking for post bending then he will really be ahead of the competition.

JediHilt
02-15-2007, 08:40 AM
I figured the aluminum would just snap what if I use steel and just chrome it when Im done shaping it and use a tube that is the same diameter as MHS so I can set screw on a MHS pommel and emitter that would be cool cuz short of the chroming it would only cost about 30$ to make that type of hilt.

xwingband
02-15-2007, 10:55 AM
There is another sabersmith that can bend aluminum tubes with mixed success. but most of the bends come from the 1/2 point of the saber and back...

If he is able to refine the process to allow for design before the bend and retain what you are looking for post bending then he will really be ahead of the competition.

I know who you mean... and mixed success is the key there. He hasn't been able to put ANYTHING on the bend other than knurling.

The real and MR dooku never used machining anyway...

neophyl
02-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Heres my attempt at a Dooku.

http://www.spartandesign.co.uk/pictures/dookuprogress2.jpg

It isnt finished as yet as theres still alot of work to do on it (blade set screw, the black diamond pattern areas, brass detailing etc) but its currently functional.

For the insides theres a MR Maul fx board that Ive trimmed down in size for the sound and a red 3w luxeon powered by a konlux driver for the bladed illumination. Uses some of Corbins blade film in the blade.

Currently Ive run the rechargeable pack for 2 1/2 hours and it still isnt flat. Thats long enough run time for most troops so all Ive got to do is finish the rest of the costume lol.

xwingband
02-15-2007, 11:22 AM
NICE! I'd love to have that saber.

I'm guessing it's a sinktube and machined parts combo?

Jonitus
02-15-2007, 11:25 AM
...ummm...yeah...you have to go into some more detail on the construction of that hilt. A whole lot of us have dreamed of a Dooku hilt, but you've nearly pulled it off. I'm quite intrigued by what you have there.

vortextwist
02-15-2007, 11:42 AM
he has made some really nice sabers. I wouldn't mine haveing one of those either.

neophyl
02-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Ok. I did sort of cheat with this one :)

Its mostly machined from some chromed steel tubing that 1.25" in diameter. All except the pommel area which is some aluminium tube I had lying around.

The curved section is from a precurved section of tube. It was from a Henry Vacuum cleaner replacement wand. The wand is 1.25" in diamter so matched the chrome tube almost perfectly. Only difference is it has a slightly thinner wall.

I cut the tube at the bend to give me 2 identical curved sections. You can do it from 1 replacement wand athough originally I bought 2 just in case. The 2 sections are placed on top of each other, with the top one having the slots cut into it. It gives a similar impression to the real dooku hilt.
The led is offset on its internal mounting heatsink to bring it into alignment with the blade holder/blade. It was tricky but worth it.

Everything else like the joining rings and blade holder was machined on my lathe and mill.

The rear bend was first milled out then a short length of straight tube inserted as I needed to pass wiring through there from the pommel. The area was then filled with 2 part epoxy putty to strengthen it and the recess filed in with a dremel.

The main stength comes from the bottom 'rib' which is why I made it thicker than the real one, I wanted to give it more strength. While I dont consider this a full on fighting sabre like most of mine its strong enough to twirl around and do some light fighting :)

The pommel contains both electronic boards, the tiny Konlux driver and the MR maul board. As I wasnt using the maul to power the led I removed the connector, the led drive transistors and resistors from the end of the board. I then chopped that section off completely. This was neccessary to allow it to fit in the pommel. Ive designed pcb's for a living before so doing that was pretty easy but its not for the fainthearted.

The batteries are located in the middle section between the 2 curve/bend areas.

Overall Id say the hilt is 5-10% oversized as the real thing is pretty thin. Its nowhere near as bad as most FX's and certainly not in the same oversize scale as the hasbro's. I made it primarily for trooping as Im putting the costume together and its close enough for that really.

MasterStoney
02-15-2007, 12:41 PM
now that's badarse!! :shock:

Ryma Mara
02-15-2007, 01:09 PM
I seen a site I forget where but they have dooku's cape, I havent seen many pics of him to know what the rest of his costme consists of.

jtsteph
02-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Nice work!!

Yoiaholic
02-15-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm impressed :) I'll have to study that closely.

Lord Maul
02-15-2007, 03:34 PM
dang, that dooku is the best one yet :shock: 8) 8)
great work man!

supertrogdor
02-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Easily the best dooku i have seen to date! excellent work

987654321a
02-16-2007, 04:59 PM
nice saber man, ive always wanted to make a dooku.

elrond.406
02-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Sweet :mrgreen: :P

neophyl
03-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Just realised I hadnt posted up the finished version of the sabre.

http://www.spartandesign.co.uk/pictures/dookufinished1.jpg

Directly below the room light

http://www.spartandesign.co.uk/pictures/dookufinished2.jpg

and finally without the light

http://www.spartandesign.co.uk/pictures/dookufinished3.jpg

Ryma Mara
03-13-2007, 06:26 PM
How did you do that?

xwingband
03-13-2007, 07:07 PM
How did you do that?

Hello, welcome to the topic!http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wave.gif

Lord Maul
03-13-2007, 10:02 PM
:lol:
nice on X

neo, that saber is the coolest thing ever. me want one :D

Jay-gon Jinn
03-13-2007, 10:07 PM
That's a darn fine Dooku, if you ask me!

supertrogdor
03-14-2007, 07:20 AM
marvelous and dandy, very well done indeed

Drichar Deis
01-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Nice, i want a curved hilt, that looks awesome!

Darth_DevilGuy
01-15-2008, 11:32 AM
by far the best dooku replica out there, I've been toying with ideas for a curved hilt of my own design for my second saber, do you know if that henry vacuum part is still available? most modern vacuums are made almost entirely from molded plastic, which just isn't good enough.

Darth Zecks
01-15-2008, 11:20 PM
DUDE! Dude, dude, dude. You should apply for a job with ILM or something. That is amazing. Its so amazing it makes me wanna slap my mama. Mega props Neo.

Barmic Rin
01-20-2008, 09:07 AM
by far the best dooku replica out there, I've been toying with ideas for a curved hilt of my own design for my second saber, do you know if that henry vacuum part is still available? most modern vacuums are made almost entirely from molded plastic, which just isn't good enough.

Dude, Henry are a huge company, pretty much every school, shop or office has one of their vacuum's somewhere!
Seriously, try Ebay.

I'm rebuilding that cuved one I started soon as I wasn't happy with the angle of the sink tube shroud i'd made. Just need to order a blade holder from Tim & i'll be getting it started again. May stick with a trueopto 'Amber' LED, but not too sure yet...

DarthFender
01-20-2008, 10:13 AM
I hadn't seen that hilt before until this thread got dug up again. Seriously, Neophyl, that is simply gorgeous.