PDA

View Full Version : I think my speaker died?

Ryma Mara
02-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Well it lights up and everything but no sound. I was getting sound when I pressed on the speaker but then it just went away so I think my speaker is toast. are they proan to going out?

vortextwist
02-14-2007, 01:49 PM
with as many times as you have messed with it. I'm suprised it lasted this long. :lol: we'll check it when you get over here.

Firebird21
02-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Are you sure that it's not shorting out on the hilt when you press on it?

Ryma Mara
02-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Well I took it apart and none of my contacts are touching anything. I need to put some new shrink wrap on my batterie connections but thats abou tit. theres hotglue everywhere on my board. all teh wire connections except for the led plug cause thats a plug connector. where the lil brown round things are theres hot glue on that and behind a bit but I dont think that would of made a difference. considering I did that a while ago.

I have no idea. My brother is checking the connections for a seccond oppinion.

Ryma Mara
02-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Time of death for the speaker Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:55 pm.

Well time to add a speaker to the list of parts I need.

erv
02-16-2007, 12:19 PM
to diagnose your speaker : use a ohmmeter and measure between the two leads, you should have about 8 ohm. Measure this with speaker unsoldered.
I had a similar problem, the thin wire coming from the membrane was not soldered properly, I add some more solder and it went ok.
if you read a frank 0 ohm : speaker in short circuit (probably burnt the output stage). Infinite value, or high value (> 100 ohm) : speaker is dead.
It also can be the output transitor, which is close to the speaker wire. I repaired a board by taking one of the output transistors used for the LED (I used the board in my luxeon saber, with my own lux driver). Took one of the 6 transistors and replaced the speaker output one. Those are just simple NPN transitor, any 2N2222, or BC547 would do the job basically.

Erv'

vortextwist
02-16-2007, 12:21 PM
well for us it would be easier to replace speaker or sound board. :?

Ryma Mara
02-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Iam gonna replace the speaker first and hope that was it, cause not to long ago a speaker lead came off and we might of shortened its life by resoldering it back on.

Jedi-Loreen
02-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Most people don't have ohm meters. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/confused0031.gif

I have an old Beckman multimeter around somewhere.

They didn't seem to care (or notice? http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/rolleye0016.gif ) that I liberated it from where I worked 15 years ago when we got new Fluke meters. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/rolleye0012.gif

erv
02-20-2007, 06:51 AM
well, it's so useful to own, just like a dremel or a screwdriver. A simple 2000 points, pocket sized costs less than 10$ (might be easy to find at radioshack ? just guessing since I don't live overthere). I even found some on ebay at 5.5$.
Mine is now... mmmm.... close to 20 years old... got it when I was 13 or 14 years old. It's a beckman industrial one, cost me about 160$, which was a lot for a teenager, 20 years ago. But it's really strong, still in perfect conditions !
Erv'