PDA

View Full Version : Mini Lathe Help

alcadude
10-10-2016, 01:55 PM
I am looking into purchasing a mini lathe and I wanted to know if this lathe would be okay to make a usable lightsaber.
(Is it powerful enough?)

https://www.amazon.com/SUNWIN-Motorized-Machine-Woodworking-Modelmaking/dp/B01CNNPSXK/ref=sr_1_39?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1476132820&sr=1-39&refinements=p_36%3A1253531011

If it won't work could you please sudgest a good lathe that is affordable?

Thanks

Thalan the Exiled
10-10-2016, 03:01 PM
I would say no based on the max material diameter only being 20mm(.78 in). The MHS parts are I believe 1.45in dia.

alcadude
10-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Sorry,I got the wrong one.This is the correct one

https://www.amazon.com/SUNWIN-Aluminum-Motorized-Machine-Woodworking/dp/B00L0X27VQ/ref=sr_1_45?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1472149745&sr=1-45&keywords=mini+metal+lathe

Greenie
10-10-2016, 11:48 PM
That looks to be too small and it's for woodworking. I have a mini lathe with 300mm between centres which is probably as small as it can be for this hobby. So far it has done all I want it to and many things that make life easy. It did, however, cost about £500 on sale, which for you guys is probably $750 to $1000
http://www.warco.co.uk/metal-lathes-metalworking-lathe-machine/302983-mini-lathe-hobby-lathes.html

alcadude
10-11-2016, 07:18 AM
The lathe says that it can do soft aluminum though.So is it okay to use!?

Silver Serpent
10-11-2016, 10:45 AM
That's really inexpensive. With power tools, you get what you pay for. I'd be leery of this item. Even the description looks like someone just ran it through Google Translate.

Max length it'll support is 135mm (a little less than 5 1/2 inches), so you can't work on any long saber parts with it.

alcadude
10-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the help

rlobrecht
10-11-2016, 11:44 AM
Its also a little strange that it has been available on Amazon for more than 2 years, and no one has rated it, reviewed it, or asked a question about it.

alcadude
10-11-2016, 12:50 PM
What about this one?https://www.amazon.com/T-king-Miniature-Multifunction-Machine-20000Rev/dp/B015WPCL3Q/ref=sr_1_31?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1476215335&sr=1-31&keywords=Metal+lathe

Or this one

https://www.amazon.com/3-5-x-8-lathe-inch/dp/B0002BK37M/ref=sr_1_29?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1476215335&sr=1-29&keywords=Metal+lathe

Or this

https://www.amazon.com/ELEOPTION-Miniature-Multifunction-Machine-20000Rev/dp/B01HZH2HXS/ref=sr_1_68?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1476216750&sr=1-68&keywords=Metal+lathe

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-11-2016, 01:17 PM
What EXACTLY would you be trying to do with these mini lathes?

alcadude
10-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Lathing lightsaber parts

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-11-2016, 02:06 PM
Lathing lightsaber parts

So basically you're trying to be a sabersmith and making all your own parts??

Strydur
10-11-2016, 04:29 PM
There is a ton of info about mini lathes on the internet..

http://www.mini-lathe.com/

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-x-10-inch-precision-mini-lathe-93212.html

http://littlemachineshop.com/info/minilathe.php

alcadude
10-11-2016, 07:34 PM
So I can conclude from this advice that the lathe I found will not work!?

Thanks for the Help

PhoenixHawk
10-11-2016, 08:46 PM
Hate to state this....but always remember you get what you pay for. That mini-lathe you found might work, but ...it most likely will not last very long being made out of Aluminum. Best to save you money and get one from the sites Tim posted.

Silver Serpent
10-11-2016, 09:00 PM
The Harbor Freight one is probably the least expensive one I'd consider getting. It's not a great one by machinist standards, but it'll work for a hobbyist.

A general rule of thumb that I've heard from several good machinists: After you spend money on a lathe, expect to spend just as much on tooling before you get started.

FenixFire
10-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Sorry,I got the wrong one.This is the correct one

https://www.amazon.com/SUNWIN-Aluminum-Motorized-Machine-Woodworking/dp/B00L0X27VQ/ref=sr_1_45?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1472149745&sr=1-45&keywords=mini+metal+lathe
I would say no. 1 like mentioned you get what you pay for with tools. 2 I have a name brand mini of the same size. T6 is too hard to do any real machining on unless you go extremely slow. 3 the jaws an minis like this are too small to safely hold anything except small accent pieces. If wanting to do full from scratch builds, I personally would not go much smaller than a 9"x20" class lathe. Overkill on size but the motor, spindle speed adjustment, and ability to get self centering chucks that can hold upto 2" diameter. Or better yet if using tube you can get mandrel chucks. But all will cost $$. Best bet for lathes are to find craigslist deals or auctions selling old machining tools. Looking to purchase new, I would not touch anything under $1000. First metal lathe I bought for building prototypes and ratrod parts was the 9x10 from Harbor freight for $500 at the time. The head had about 2mm of wobble from the get go, so had to compensate for that. The chucks were crap and had a off standard thread so better chucks would not fit. The direct drive motor wore out within about 15 hours of actual use. So I bought a used Jet 920 and have had no issues in 12 years of using it.

Like SS said expect to spend several hundred on proper chucks, tool blanks and a grinder/sharpening stone for shaping, or carbide tips and holders. For exterior main hilt I would make sure they are 3/4". You will also need boring bars of various lengths, and a drill chuck tail stock for starting axial bores. I f wanting to do threaded connections expect to spend more on quality threading bits, holders, and setup gauges. You'll also want a way to keep everything lubed/cool during cutting. Either manually with an olds hook oil bottle or a coolant pump and ball and socket tubing.

FenixFire
10-11-2016, 10:23 PM
Stick with name brand tools that have parts support. Never the cheep no-name alibaba.com stuff off amazon that has a Chinese point of origin. If you want something in the 500-600 range go with the Grizzly 7-10 or there about. Lots of parts and chucks, they are a real manufacture and support their brand as well as others. But once again expect to spend minimum $300 on cutting tools and end stocks to get up and running safely, $1000 if you want it to be efficiently.

http://www.grizzly.com/metal-lathes

rlobrecht
10-12-2016, 05:39 AM
Some other ideas would be to find a class that gives you access to a machine shop. Some Maker Place/Maker labs will have lathes, or maybe even your local community college metal working class.

jbkuma
10-13-2016, 07:00 AM
Some other ideas would be to find a class that gives you access to a machine shop. Some Maker Place/Maker labs will have lathes, or maybe even your local community college metal working class.

No matter what you decide you should probably do this before spending anything. Spinning metal on a lathe isn't the easiest or safest way to spend your time. This is a tool that requires technique and respect. A class will help acclimate you to the machine and you'll learn important safety concerns. You will also find out if you have the knack for it before spending tons thousands of dollars.

xl97
10-13-2016, 09:20 AM
@OP who cares if you want to lathe/mess with saber parts.. MANY OF US do it, its fun and a great skill to pick up... dont be deterred by some of the comments.

As mentioned you'd get better info on the internet that is more encompassing then the feedback you'll get here..

With any of the 7x10 lathes you wont be able to do much with them.. (just too small)

a 7x12 is a minimum.. and i bet you find yourself running out of room/space IMMEDIATELY..

your tooling takes up much needed room, so you need to compensate for that. (tail stock, steady rest..etc all eat up bed length quickly, so does your chuck!)

I got my 8x14 HF lathe (on sale long ago) for only $379 or so! I see there are like $1000 now.. but I think its DEFINITELY a much better buy than either of the 7x lathes HF offers.

I know the LMS machines come with decent QC.. and are nice 'out of the box'.. but you pay for that.. and your still not in a much bigger lathe at that price.

Check out Grizzly if you have the money for one..

alcadude
10-13-2016, 01:06 PM
I found a cost effective instructable on how to make a metal lathe.I am going to try it out this weekend!!!I am soo excited.:p

http://www.instructables.com/id/100-Homemade-Lathe/?ALLSTEPS

http://www.instructables.com/id/Mini-Metal-Lathe-1/?ALLSTEPS
I can't figure out what to use for the bed or drill so any ideas would be great!!!

ARKM
10-13-2016, 01:17 PM
I found a cost effective instructable on how to make a metal lathe.I am going to try it out this weekend!!!I am soo excited.:p

http://www.instructables.com/id/100-Homemade-Lathe/?ALLSTEPS

http://www.instructables.com/id/Mini-Metal-Lathe-1/?ALLSTEPS
I can't figure out what to use for the bed or drill so any ideas would be great!!!

That lathe is for lathing wood, not metal. It states that in Step 1. IMHO, it's not a good lathe. Not even remotely.

alcadude
10-13-2016, 03:23 PM
Could you please explain why,because it says "Hack a power drill into a mini metal lathe with precision speed control."So doesn't that make it a Metal lathe?

acerocket
10-13-2016, 03:37 PM
On the plus side, you can use all the money you saved on that lathe to pay for the trip to the emergency room.

alcadude
10-13-2016, 06:19 PM
What makes it so dangerous?

Silver Serpent
10-13-2016, 06:55 PM
A professionally manufactured lathe is already dangerous. You have parts spinning at high speed, cutting tools, little bits flying off.

A homebuilt lathe, being made by someone who has minimal (or zero) machining experience? That's a very VERY bad idea. Best case scenario: you end up with a few messed up saber parts. Worst case scenario involves blood. Possibly a lot of it.

I would strongly advise finding a local machining class and taking a course or two.

acerocket
10-14-2016, 07:04 AM
You are obviously eager about the hobby (which is not a bad thing), but judging from your past postings, you are most likely young and have little experience with power tools/equipment. Any type of powered equipment capable of reshaping metal is inherently dangerous. Parts and components spinning at 1000s of RPM and razor sharp tools mean you MUST respect the machine at all times. As I type this, I can look over my monitor and see 3 CNC lathes spinning at close to 5000 RPM to warm up. I can see the front panels on those machines and see the dozens of yellow triangle safety warnings showing stick figures in various states of dismemberment. Do yourself a favor and get proper equipment to do the job properly. If you want to turn lightsaber parts, those micro-lathes and instructables drill motor lathes are going to be your worst enemy. I understand you want something inexpensive, but if you are talking about sacrificing safety for a few dollars, you need to think long and hard. You are free to make your own decision... Good advice has already been given. The micro-lathes will most likely be way too small and under-powered. Some lathe brands and sizes that are popular in the hobby have been mentioned. And it has been recommended to look for a Maker Space or some sort of classes where you can learn while you create.

jbkuma
10-14-2016, 08:43 PM
Seconding what acerocket said. It's great to be eager and willing and excited, but it's equally important to understand the risks of what you are doing. Just jumping in is reckless. You've done a far more asking questions of simple questions than doing the least bit of research. The judicious application of hubris will lead to wasted money as often as injury, with satisfaction least of all outcomes. Do not rush in this. Patience is the soil in which the fruit of success grows sweetest.

We say these things not to discourage you from doing, but to encourage you towards learning. I hope you have a great and brilliant future in the art of saber building, but you must learn to walk before you can run.

PhoenixHawk
10-14-2016, 10:38 PM
Could you please explain why,because it says "Hack a power drill into a mini metal lathe with precision speed control."So doesn't that make it a Metal lathe?

All lathes are made of metal. As the above members have said...going to your local collage and go to the metal shop, and take some classes so you have a basic understanding of the equipment. Most good University's have a good metal shop. All the members here just want to keep you from hurting yourself. From what you are say'in you don't see the danger your wanting to undertake...a home made metal lathe is a very BAD idea. A wood lathe is way different then a metal lathe...i'm a master craftsman and wood chips flying around is way different then metal ones...also the metal ones spin a lot faster, they have to to prevent chattering.

Sevinzol
10-15-2016, 01:34 AM
Your instructable link was not for a metal capable lathe. It was mounted on plywood and uses wood pulleys for god's sake!
The author: "Being only a high school student" "decided to just stick with [a] wood [lathe]"

You can't make a metal lathe out of a drill.
- The drill doesn't have the bearings to handle the sideways pressure
- The motor won't handle the friction load and it will burn out.
- you will not be able to hollow out a 1" hole through 3 to 8 inches of aluminum alloy

- save your money and take a class. (most people learn to drive THEN buy a car).
- then start saving up for a real lathe
- or better yet, save your money and pay someone to make the parts for you... Like, oh I don't know, maybe the guy who owns the company this website is connected to.

By the time you are done, playing with toys and reinventing the wheel, you will have wasted hundreds of dollars and man/hours. You are not going to save any money on making a saber this way. Is your design really so radical that it can't be done from modified parts?

I have wasted a lot of time and money on things I didn't really need for my hobbies. Do you really need a lathe or is it just an itch you want to scratch?

xl97
10-15-2016, 07:46 AM
Seconding what acerocket said. It's great to be eager and willing and excited, but it's equally important to understand the risks of what you are doing. With all due respect to xl97, suggesting you jump in is reckless. You've done a far more asking questions of simple questions than doing the least bit of research. The judicious application of hubris will lead to wasted money as often as injury, with satisfaction least of all outcomes. Do not rush in this. Patience is the soil in which the fruit of success grows sweetest.

We say these things not to discourage you from doing, but to encourage you towards learning. I hope you have a great and brilliant future in the art of saber building, but you must learn to walk before you can run.

@jbkuma

Dont mis-quote me.. or 'mince' my words.

As a matter of fact.. you said (more or less) the same thing as I did. (do not be deterred/discouraged)

I never said anything about 'jumping in'... or anything remotely about not being safe.

I own a lathe/mill.. and have taken 'classes; at the local maker space..
watched TONS of MIT training videos and other videos to grasp concepts and procedures.. read books on certain techniques... yadda yadda

* and have had many a gut check or knuckle smacks to understand safety is important. I would never suggest otherwise

My comment was more so aimed at the 'saber smith' comment. (where as 'some' can have a lathe without issues/judgement.. and others are judged by wanting one)

why anyone would care WHY he wants to buy a hobby lathe (outside of being trained/safe or posting here for 'work') I dont understand. Definitely not a threat to here. and shouldnt be a threat to any members 'who take on commissions' on the side either.. (especially with the type of questions being asked.. and the idea of using a wood lathe or a drill as the base!) which seemed a little off point of being helpful for his safety and guidance.

So with 'all due respect' (you are just wrong about what you 'think' I said) :) (I dont want anyone to die!)

snilam
10-17-2016, 08:47 PM
I have the grizzly G0602 that has been mentioned earlier its a 10x22 and I feel its just big enough for most saber applications. Also like mentioned before you will spend just as much on tooling as the machine itself and guess what some of those parts wear out and you will have to replenish them. Most importantly also mentioned earlier do not underestimate the power of the machine! Have no doubt it can kill you if you do not take care in its use. Even the chips it produces are dangerous. Sure it looks like soft spongey coils but jokes on you its razor wire. I've only had one scary misstep with my machine. When I was maybe a little tired after a long day of work and when I was turning something I had left the key in the chuck after I changed a part out. I don't know how I left in but like I said maybe a little tired. Anyone that works with a lathe is probably cringing already at the story. Anyhow turned it on and it flew at light speed about 3 inches from my foot and took a little chunk of my garage floor. Let me tell you that was the absolute best case scenario for that situation. That could have gone a hundred different other ways, most of them bad. Could have taken it to the face or head which would be catastrophic. Anyway after that I make sure to do a checklist before I turn on the machine and I do not machine tired anymore. So don't take it the wrong way when people are telling you to exercise caution, they merely want you to be safe. Do a lot of research into the machines and safety of the machines. With the maker movement right now there are a lot of makerspaces out there that have classes for little or even no money. A class on safety and techniques would be worth hours of youtube videos and personal tinkering. You could even join and use their equipment and see what size and all the different tooling needed before taking the plunge on purchasing your own equipment.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-18-2016, 09:23 AM
@jbkuma

Dont mis-quote me.. or 'mince' my words.

As a matter of fact.. you said (more or less) the same thing as I did. (do not be deterred/discouraged)

I never said anything about 'jumping in'... or anything remotely about not being safe.

I own a lathe/mill.. and have taken 'classes; at the local maker space..
watched TONS of MIT training videos and other videos to grasp concepts and procedures.. read books on certain techniques... yadda yadda

* and have had many a gut check or knuckle smacks to understand safety is important. I would never suggest otherwise

My comment was more so aimed at the 'saber smith' comment. (where as 'some' can have a lathe without issues/judgement.. and others are judged by wanting one)

why anyone would care WHY he wants to buy a hobby lathe (outside of being trained/safe or posting here for 'work') I dont understand. Definitely not a threat to here. and shouldnt be a threat to any members 'who take on commissions' on the side either.. (especially with the type of questions being asked.. and the idea of using a wood lathe or a drill as the base!) which seemed a little off point of being helpful for his safety and guidance.

So with 'all due respect' (you are just wrong about what you 'think' I said) :) (I dont want anyone to die!)

And if you're going to "aim" - especially at me, make sure you hit the target. And to quote you - don't mince MY words.

I asked him a legitimate question - what his ultimate plans would be, would determine how much of a machine he would need. Something I know you should be WELL aware of, becasue you've essentially said as much after the fact.

jbkuma
10-18-2016, 02:23 PM
@jbkuma Dont mis-quote me.. or 'mince' my words.
I apologize for misinterpreting your comment. Obviously your intention wasn't what I took from it. I removed the reference to your post and rephrased my statement.

I think most of the comments here have really been about the safety concerns, not whether or not he should attempt the work. I think people here are almost exclusively supportive and encouraging to other builders of all skill levels, and I've often remarked to my friends that this is one of the best boards on the web for that reason. I think that was true here as well, we just want to make sure he lives to show us the great works his enthusiasm can bring. I'm glad we agree on that and I'm sorry again for mincing your words (although I didn't quote you ;))

xl97
10-18-2016, 03:10 PM
understood, no worries.

I just wanted to clarify.

Yes, safety first (of course).. and it doesnt/shouldnt matter if he wants to be a 'sabersmith' or anything else.

update:

'bullseye'

k6gad
11-02-2016, 12:37 PM
This may be a bit late but have you tried Grizzly.com or Harbor Freight? Both have some nice small lathes. The tool holder on both of the pages on Amazon are not worth anything.
Check out Grizzly and check out what a good lathe should have, spend a bit more up front and you will be able to use it for years, and on many other projects. Just my $0.02...