PDA

View Full Version : First Saber - am I missing anything?

Shenlon
10-06-2016, 03:07 PM
This will be my first attempt at a saber. Going for a relatively simple hilt construction with a NBv3, Tri-Cree LED (B/rB/W) with the white wired for FoC, 2W bass speaker and recharge port (planning to put the recharge port in the pommel insert, I know this will require modifying the speaker holder for wires to pass through). These are the parts I have in my cart right now, I have the other incidental parts (resistors, wire) already so not ordering them at this time:

Body:
MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 12
MPS Pommel style 8
MPS Clip
Hilt style 4
MPS Insert style 2
16mm Anti Vandal Short Momentary Blue Ring Switch
Kill plug style 4
8-32 x 1/2" thumb screw

Blade:
"Corbin style" Battle blade 1" OD (36 inches)
** Double Wrap
** Bullet Shaped

Internals:
Custom Tri-Cree LED
White Cree Die
Blue Cree Die
Royal Blue Cree Die
18deg Tri-Rebel/Cree Star Lens
Star thermal tape pad - Tri LED (x2 in case I screw the first one up)
Nano Biscotte Sound Module V3
MHS speaker mount V6 - For 28mm Speakers
18650 Single Cell Holder
NB V3 MWS Header and Wiring Harness
Panasonic Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 3400mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery
MWS Recharge Port
2W 28mm Bass Speaker

Services:
Machine recessed 16mm AV switch hole
Drill & Tap Hole (8-32) - blade retention screw hole

Charger:
3.7V-14.8V 1Amp Li-Ion Smart charger
Add 2.1mm plug adapter for smart charger

If I need to provide links, or there's a better format to post the parts, please let me know. Thanks for your time and I'm open to any suggestions/recommendations.

Silver Serpent
10-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Don't forget your heatsink. There's a little checkbox on the bladeholder page to include one.

This is optional, but nice: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/9-Electronics-shield-for-125-ID-tubes-P1009.aspx It'll slide over the v6 speaker mount and protect your electronics from shorting against the hilt. Not strictly necessary, but it's something to consider.

Shenlon
10-06-2016, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the response, the heatsink is included, not sure how I deleted it when I was copying my parts over, but thanks for the double check. Also, I have some of the T8 lamp material already and am definitely planning on using it.

rlobrecht
10-07-2016, 08:30 AM
I know you said you have resistors and such, but just wanted to point out that the LED in your switch needs a really big resistor or the dyna-ohm one.

You're also missing a means to hang it from your belt. Since you are putting the recharge port in the hilt, a covertech is your best option.

Shenlon
10-07-2016, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the point on the Dyna-Ohm, I added one to the cart just to make things easier for assembly. Also, not concerned about hanging it from a belt at the moment and don't want to make any decisions about where to place the clip until I know for sure that's a route I want to pursue. Thanks for the feedback!