PDA

View Full Version : 2002 MR Anakin Skywalker Conversion video?

AnthonyC
09-13-2016, 08:14 AM
I've been looking high and low for a tutorial video of how to do a 2002 MR Anakin tutorial with new updated parts. Lots of walkthru's are with pix and parts from 2006. Anything fairly recently?

I see TCSS does NOT offer this 2002 Anakin conversion kit, so others have recommended the MR Mace Windu

what else would I need just to convert from the led string to 6w or 12w LED or whatever you suggest

thank you
Anthony

Cire Yeldarb
09-13-2016, 11:59 AM
There a a few posts with fairly recent conversions of this saber (This (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?19546-First-Conversion-Saber-Anakin-ATOC-2002&highlight=anakin+2002) for one, there are others if you just search "anakin 2002")

As far as what you need, firstly, get off thinking about Watts. Watts are not equivalent to brightness with LEDs, just equivalent to energy used. The LED you want is going to be an XP-E2 (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Cree-XP-E2-C136.aspx), the brightest/most-energy-efficient LED available right now for sabers (unless you want White, then get the XP-L (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Cree-XP-L-C139.aspx))

Secondly, what other parts you need is going to depend a whole lot on what you want from this saber? Are you going to be putting in an entirely new soundcard, or sticking with stock? If you do more options open up, like Tri-Crees, longer lasting batteries, etc. Otherwise its pretty straightforward ususally

AnthonyC
09-13-2016, 05:39 PM
Thank you for responding, any guidance is appreciated. This will be my first conversion. I'm not looking to do anything fancy. The LED string doesn't work unless you shake the saber real hard, sound and clash work fine. I love the idea of removing the blade and displaying the hilt, and the 2002 Anakin is a beauty

Cire Yeldarb
09-13-2016, 06:47 PM
You'll want to make sure you have:
Cree XP-E2 LED (whatever color you want)
Proper Resistor for that LED and the Battery pack in the saber
Thermal Tape Pad (get a spare or two just in case, they're cheap)
Lens
Lens Holder
Conversion Kit (obviously)
Some extra stranded wire

and then if you are making your own new Blade:
1" Thin walled Blade Material
Matching Blade Tip
Cellophane

Or you can just buy a completed blade

This is assuming you keep everything else stock, and this is just a starting point for you. You'll want to do some more research to make sure I didn't leave anything off, Conversions aren't exactly my specialty or anything

gobezza
10-13-2016, 01:10 PM
Hi, new to the forum, so forgive my ignorance.

I have one of these in a box in the loft, 2002 Anakin AOTC Force FX Saber, always thought about converting it but people tell me they are quite rare now being the 1st edition, and quite valuable.

Would converting it not ruin it's value or collectability?

Bezza

AnthonyC
01-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Hi, new to the forum, so forgive my ignorance.

I have one of these in a box in the loft, 2002 Anakin AOTC Force FX Saber, always thought about converting it but people tell me they are quite rare now being the 1st edition, and quite valuable.

Would converting it not ruin it's value or collectability?

Bezza

I would say if the hilt and blade look good and electronics work great, don't convert, especially because this is an original and the first saber from Master Replicas

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-01-2017, 02:19 PM
While it is the first one they have done, most of the ones that I have had sent to me for conversions have had "various" cosmetic issues (pitting, poor plating) and also EL technology is "ancient" by the hobby's current standards. What you ultimately decide to do with it should be based on a good, careful and complete inspection.