PDA

View Full Version : what is Ultra sabers talking about

vortextwist
02-10-2007, 03:25 PM
This is what is on his main page
"2/7/07 - Revolutionary new product about to be launched for all those who have sabers based on the Modular Hilt System... We're hoping to release this product by mid-February... You guys are going to love this!
Does anyone know anything about this?

elrond.406
02-10-2007, 03:38 PM
I've got no idea...maybe the MPS? :?

Lord Maul
02-10-2007, 04:29 PM
probably his sound board. it is through beta testing and is about ready to sell

vortextwist
02-10-2007, 05:07 PM
well it better be better than erv's or an mr to even be worth getting.

elrond.406
02-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Whats featured on his new board? Does anyone noe? :?:

vortextwist
02-10-2007, 05:12 PM
nope not me. His stuff just looks cheap to me, except the mace kit.(thanks to TCSS for that)

xwingband
02-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Buy the MHS from the source...

I seriously doubt he's making anything that great. Maybe if you've never been here and realize what he sells...

vortextwist
02-10-2007, 05:25 PM
just sounds like he's trying to make money off of Tim's idea. Now if he buys all the stuff from Tim, then that's a diff story.

elrond.406
02-10-2007, 05:37 PM
just sounds like he's trying to make money off of Tim's idea. Now if he buys all the stuff from Tim, then that's a diff story.

Aren't the "custom ultrasabers" MHS? :?

Lord Maul
02-10-2007, 06:39 PM
vortex, he buys most of the stuff from tim. the custom stuff he makes himself.
nimrod, know duh :roll:

vortextwist
02-10-2007, 06:45 PM
he makes most of his kits now except for the mace kit. I don't know about his custom ones.

Strydur
02-10-2007, 07:07 PM
I know what Ultra means by that but I will let him tell everyone when he is ready. I like that you all want to stick up for me but try not to jump to conclusions. DO feel free to email about anything you think I might want to know about though.

Jonitus
02-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I dislike that everyone thinks that all these custom saber builders are cut-throat and trying to screw eachother over. Of course Ultra gets parts here at TCSS and then resells them. So do other people, myself included.

I'm not trying to compete with Tim or with Ultra or with Corbin or anybody else.

Why must Ultra's new soundboard be better than Erv's to sell, hmm? What if it isn't but is priced lower than Erv's? It will still sell. Some people don't have the excess money to drop on Erv's board, so the one from Ultra will fit the needs nicely.

Defending Tim and the business he has here should not come at the expense of bashing any other saber maker. Would you all like to bash me now that you know that I resell Tim's parts? Hell, I give credit where credit is due. If I buy from Tim for something I am creating, I give credit, even on my sales invoice. I give credit on my website.

Stop and think before you take the pulpit and start acting evangelical.

vortextwist
02-11-2007, 12:55 PM
well I didn't try to make it sound that way. If Tim seems cool with it then I got no prob.

Firebird21
02-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I know what Ultra means by that but I will let him tell everyone when he is ready.

What a tease!!! :evil:

Lord Maul
02-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Why must Ultra's new soundboard be better than Erv's to sell, hmm? What if it isn't but is priced lower than Erv's? It will still sell. Some people don't have the excess money to drop on Erv's board, so the one from Ultra will fit the needs nicely.

i agree. heck, I'm using ultra's board when it comes out cause i don't got the cash for erv's

Ryma Mara
02-11-2007, 04:37 PM
i agree. heck, I'm using ultra's board when it comes out cause i don't got the cash for erv's

I agree, I cant see dropping 150$ for a sound board, no matter how customizable it is. Guess Iam a cheap ass :D

Firebird21
02-11-2007, 04:42 PM
MMM MMM MMM MMM.... Toasty!

vortextwist
02-11-2007, 05:04 PM
well I will just use mr's till I got the cash for some buttery goodness.

xwingband
02-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Ultra's board isn't going to be cheap either. He said he'd pegged it at about $80.

If the sound is as good or than an MR it will certainly sell. Will it be Erv's... nope, but with Erv's you're paying for the best.

His sound/LED driver board isn't a secret though. Whatever it is is different. He likes to hype though... it gets him sales *shrug*. I doubt it'll be anything someone hasn't thought of already.

kinchar bamin
02-22-2007, 02:01 PM
80 bucks? thats a good deal if its better than a MR cos I got my MR saber with sound module for $120 :D

xwingband
02-22-2007, 03:08 PM
$80 for the board alone.

kinchar bamin
02-22-2007, 03:09 PM
poo! that is the most ekspsensav thang in the world!

vortextwist
02-22-2007, 03:11 PM
not really, ervs board runs 150, is that right X?

edit: i guess it is :D

xwingband
02-22-2007, 03:11 PM
no it's not... Erv's is $150. Corbin's + an MR board is around $80, etc...

Read newb before you speak.

kinchar bamin
02-22-2007, 03:12 PM
still expansave thaw

vortextwist
02-22-2007, 03:13 PM
still expansave thaw

"expensive though"

kinchar bamin
02-22-2007, 03:15 PM
:lol: I was doin an impersionation of a lady off of judge judey. funny southern accent!

vortextwist
02-22-2007, 03:18 PM
She may have an accent but she talks without slang and she anunciates. Something you can't even do. With a keyboard.

Lord Maul
02-22-2007, 03:50 PM
ultra's sound board will be really cool cause it comes with a amp for the speaker :P
also, the user friendly controls will make it way better than a mr

vortextwist
02-22-2007, 04:07 PM
comes with an amp? was that on his site LM?

elrond.406
02-22-2007, 04:10 PM
:lol: I was doin an impersionation of a lady off of judge judey. funny southern accent!

:? ::sigh:: :roll:

vortextwist
02-22-2007, 04:15 PM
I checked out his new stuff for the MHS. Looks pretty cool but for 50 bucks I will proly wait. check it out guys.

Lord Maul
02-22-2007, 04:17 PM
it is on the thread for his SB on fx sabers. some pretty interesting stuff he's incorporated.
like, there are no swing sounds, the board just modifies the idle sound depending on how fast you swing. if you pay attention in the movies that is actually how it is :wink:

elrond.406
02-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Ultra's selling blasters now...

Lord Maul
02-22-2007, 04:24 PM
no, they're not for sell yet, and they are just nerf guns :?

elrond.406
02-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Pretty expensive VS. DIY

Lord Maul
02-22-2007, 05:12 PM
ultra sells to a group of people who like to buy things, not spend days to weeks doing something themselves. there are a few exceptions but that is the norm

elrond.406
02-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Nerf is actually pretty good though. All you need to do is mod it with a new spring, brass barrels, LEDs and scopes for decor, maybe a C02 tank, and load with plastic markers as ammo :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

xwingband
02-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm not impressed by his new offerings. LM has it correct... it's for people who can't be bothered and would rather pay for it. I can solder up a new LED in about 15 seconds above what it takes for my iron to heat up. Dealing with optics isn't a huge hassle...

It's not worth it for us. For Ultra's customers... yeah, it'd be useful. I haven't seen Ultra's emitters but if they are just like Tim's MHS he's losing space with the new combo thingie.

Ryma Mara
02-22-2007, 08:23 PM
I actually like the idea kinda. but yeah for US it works for him.

elrond.406
02-22-2007, 09:34 PM
I actually like the idea kinda. but yeah for US it works for him.

:? US = us or USA?

Marsupial
02-22-2007, 10:40 PM
can someone post the URL of the FX Saber thread?
I'm not member on FX Saber, but I am still very intrigued by the upcoming Ultra Sound Board.

Ryma Mara
02-22-2007, 10:48 PM
US = ultra sabers. What other US type name would we be talking about?

vortextwist
02-23-2007, 07:32 AM
It's a neat idea but not 50 bucks neat.

Yoiaholic
02-23-2007, 11:27 AM
A few things to remember, the key to keeping anyone interested in your products is allowing your customers to easily adapt it without prior skills. Most people probably would not buy another full saber for this and thats why his product is attractive. Secondly you need to make this as profitable as possible because it will become a huge stream of income for the business.

Every wonder why parks still uses EL? Aside from allowing for much more creativity in the designs those replacement blades are selling for 80+ dollars each. And believe me, if you are going to drop 300+ on a saber having an extra color would be worth it.

Go ahead and bad mouth him all you want but he's opening up the market to more people this way. Jonitus had it right, don't bash it because it isn't TCSS. Competition drives innovation.

vortextwist
02-23-2007, 11:34 AM
I havn't really "bad mouthed" him, I just don't care for his products, does that mean I don't like anything that every other saber maker sells? NO. I like some of parks, Lighttech, RS, I just don't care for EL and that is mostly what they make.

Yoiaholic
02-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Vortex I'm not point the finger at anyone. It just seems there has always been an attitude like that on this forum and its disheartening. There's so much information here and that goes beyond any single sabersmith.

Kudos to TCSS for setting this forum up. The wealth of knowledge is enormous. However lets not bash others just to keep up the moral.

vortextwist
02-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Oh I understand but it's also nice to see people apreciate the stuff Tim sells but It could be done with less negativaty.

Jonitus
02-23-2007, 11:58 AM
It is disheartening to see new users ask where they can buy certain parts cheaper on a forum attached to a store. It is also disheartening to see certain users bash other saber makers on this site. It reflects poorly on Tim, and that is not what we want.

There are enough saber sites with bad reputations out there, but they earned them through poor service, exhaulted pricing, and poor customer service. Say what you want about Ultra, but his reputation precedes him. He didn't get to where he is by being bad at what he does.

That being said, I wish the powers that be would ask, then enforce, that no bashing of businesses happen on this site...unless it is deserved. I can remember someone not too long ago comes into TCSS and throws a tizzy about one of Ultra's converted MRFX breaking, instead of taking it up with the man himself. Guess what happened? Ultra found the topic, responded, and made the situation right.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but it really gets annoying to see people complain about other businesses and hold Tim up on some pedestal. Sure, Tim turns out awesome products and his customer service is fantastic...but I won't throw adoration his way by bashing on anyone else. Even in the face of trying to get my sabersmith business running, I never took cheap shots at other manufacturers or businesses.

Passive resistance. You want to show a company how much you dislike their product? Hit them where it hurts...the wallet...by not buying their stuff.

Every decent sabersmith I have dealt with has the humility to admit their own shortcomings. No one person can do it all, all the time, to perfection. I'm my own worst critic and think the stuff I turn out of my shop is junk, but customers say different. I'm sure some builders would love to turn out really fancy stuff, but it is a matter of tools, time, and knowledge.

Please, for the love of Pete, let's stop bashing other businesses.

QFT

xwingband
02-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I didn't see bashing here...

The truth is that if you are here I'd assume you weren't the kind to have that product be useful. I'd hope if you were here you'd have some initiative to do it yourself.

Ultra puts out good stuff, but consider what it's based on. :wink:

Yoiaholic
02-23-2007, 02:25 PM
I didn't see bashing here...

The truth is that if you are here I'd assume you weren't the kind to have that product be useful. I'd hope if you were here you'd have some initiative to do it yourself.

Ultra puts out good stuff, but consider what it's based on. :wink:

This is kinda what I'm talking about. Why should it matter how useful the product is to you personally? Unless someone had it and it failed to live up to the expectations why put down the business of another person ESPECIALLY one with a relationship to TCSS. You are right in that this product we speak of might not have much of an interest in this community but actually posting it seems like you are intentionally belittling the people that shop here and might like the product. In essense saying this forum isn't for you. Writing a review of a product is fine but giving that blatent statement if you are here that product isn't for you thing really rubs me the wrong way. The price of the product itself is prohibitive enough that it shouldn't effect TCSS sales in the least.

I'm not saying this to defend one shop over another and it isn't about Ultra either its a principle thing. It just sounds bad coming from you xwing and your affiliation with the store. I wouldn't expect a mod to do this. Especially since the forum now contains areas on costuming and other non TCSS related things. The forum audience is diverse and their interests are as well.

Having said that I can completely understand that coming onto this forum and talking about buying other sabersmith's products over Tim's is a no no, but where do we draw the line? Many of us speak of the custom parts in our sabers that were made elsewhere. Soundboards, heatsinks, machined parts etc. Although this is discussed many of us still come to TCSS and place orders from the store.

Maybe I'm way off base, thats possible and it wouldn't be the first time. I just don't see the need to direct people to TCSS by the methods I mentioned above. Tim's products and his service (along with Corbin's) stand out and can sell the products themselves. Engaging in the activities above only lower the reputation of the store.

Again I might be wrong but I feel strongly about this. And I've ordered from here since nov 05 so I'm a satisfied customer and not just someone looking to cause trouble.

EDIT: It works both ways, not discussing buying other peoples products over tim's is only polite. But when there is an honest discussion on a new product on the market slamming it because it isn't carried here isn't the right move either. The product in question and its attached price tag keeps it from competing with the TCSS product. At least make an arguement based on the product not your opinion of the non DIY community.

LordArgyll
02-23-2007, 02:46 PM
I look at it this way.

This is the Custom Saber Shop forum. By its very nature, this forum is about custom sabers -- either built from scratch or customized from an existing piece. It's that bit of "I built this"-ness that makes it special.

Vendors that sell prefabricated sabers in my mind bear no discussion here. Vendors that sell potentially useful components for something you can build yourself, on the other hand, is something can be shared, especially if it's something that Tim doesn't stock. If it some sort of competing product, though... that's not so happy.

Even the spirit of the costuming forum is about either making or modifying something yourself...

Eh... sometimes customer loyalty can just be rabid. ;)

xwingband
02-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I said it before in a very similar way to LA. Beyond the store I think the spirit of here is building it yourself.

Besides that it's not revolutionary as he stated. We could already swap LEDs. Is it unuseful? Not completely, but for a DIY person soldering an LED and dealing with the optics isn't that hard.

If that is viewed as bashing another product... I'm sorry, I don't see it that way. Is it unbecoming of a moderator, I don't think so. I didn't say "Don't buy it." I was just expressing my opinion that it's nothing special.

Marsupial
02-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Can someone please point me the direction to some info about that upcoming board? I'd really like to read about it instead of hearing rumors.

Gracias.

vortextwist
02-23-2007, 03:42 PM
I think if you just go to his site you might find something, www.ultrasabers.com

xwingband
02-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Can someone please point me the direction to some info about that upcoming board? I'd really like to read about it instead of hearing rumors.

Gracias.

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=6144.0

There has been where I've been reading it.

Lord Maul
02-23-2007, 03:53 PM
mars, here ya go. linky (http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=6144.0)

yoi: if you interpreted my comments as bashing ultra, i'm truly sorry. i didn't think that my comment was "offensive" in any way.i make no secret that i do like some of his stuff, and i will be buying from him.

xwingband
02-23-2007, 04:00 PM
mars, here ya go. linky (http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=6144.0)

Beat you! :P

Lord Maul
02-23-2007, 04:05 PM
damn your fast X :x :shock:
you always beat us to the link.
ohh well, mine is more stylish cause it is just linky instead of a url :twisted: :P

vortextwist
02-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Very interesting

elrond.406
02-23-2007, 05:30 PM
I can remember someone not too long ago comes into TCSS and throws a tizzy about one of Ultra's converted MRFX breaking, instead of taking it up with the man himself. Guess what happened? Ultra found the topic, responded, and made the situation right.

Umm, I think it was TFN...I think...eh ::shrugs:: 8)

Lord Maul
02-23-2007, 05:31 PM
you weren't here when it happened. the thread was called Ultra Sabers not so Ultra. then it got locked and the name was changed :wink:

Strydur
02-23-2007, 06:08 PM
I don't see anyone personally bashing ultra or his business in general.

Everyone is free to express their opinions about products whether they are mine or someone else's. I am glad when people do, as it is good customer feedback. I didn't ask Xwing to check his opinions at the door and he is as free as anyone else on here to say his opinion.

There is however a fine line between discussing a product and bashing someone or trying to promote products both of which will not be tolerated.

Marsupial
02-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks maul and Xwing on the linky... didn't find any valid info on ultra's site, beside that he's now selling nerfguns (hey, someone stole my repaint idea!)

There's a lot of info in that thread, I've got a lot of reading :)

vortextwist
02-23-2007, 09:08 PM
I read most of it, just read like the first 4 pages and then there's nothing important.

Marsupial
02-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh it gets important a little after, there's a lot of the features, plus lots of Q&A.

the important informative post is there (2nd post, and 1 page further then what you read :P):
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=6144.60

vortextwist
02-23-2007, 09:34 PM
oh ya, maybe I read farther than I thought. :)

ti-el_terall
02-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Ultra said that he's shipping some of his boards to other retailers. Hey Tim, is this a possible item to stock?

Strydur
02-24-2007, 02:13 AM
I will certainly consider it.

Jay-gon Jinn
02-24-2007, 09:25 AM
After reading the threads posted by you guys, I think I may buy that board, it sounds like everything I'd need in a sound board, and I'd love to see it stocked here.

vortextwist
02-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Ya if Ultra can give Tim a decent price.

Lord Maul
02-24-2007, 10:56 AM
it would seem likely that ultra will sell tim his boards. tim is the one who came up with the whole MHS that ultra has made so much money off of. i would think that he return the favor

vortextwist
02-24-2007, 11:07 AM
not nessesarily, it is a buisiness. Ultra can't sell them for less than what it casts him. we shall see

xwingband
02-24-2007, 11:53 AM
not nessesarily, it is a buisiness. Ultra can't sell them for less than what it casts him. we shall see

Ultra said he'd wholesale them to others. $80 is the end user price.

I'm not sure I'll use Ultra's board for a bit. I still have MRs and Corbin's boards to use up. It all depends on the sounds too. If they aren't sithy enough I may still prefer the Vader board in some cases.

Ryma Mara
02-24-2007, 01:26 PM
I read that the sounds flowed into one onother and not have that recorded sound to them.

xwingband
02-24-2007, 02:15 PM
I read that the sounds flowed into one onother and not have that recorded sound to them.

Heard... but not actually heard. :wink:

It's all heresy until we hear it in real life. I'd wait, I think Ultra should do more runs later for different sounds, but we'll see.

Ryma Mara
02-24-2007, 03:34 PM
^word yo..

I mean Iam sure its gonna be a better board than the mr but be the middel point with that and ervs. so I hope its a good one.

Marsupial
02-25-2007, 12:26 AM
I don't think it's going to be a middle point with that crystal focus from Erv - I think its a different board for different needs.

Ultra definately aims for those who don't hack their ways to the saber, with the voice activated menu and presets where you choose upon a menu. Erv is more of the perfect hacking device for a saber, with you being able to edit the configuration file to your own tastes.

I like how Ultra have one humming sound that is changed realtime for the swing sound to be made, but I also like the sound customizability of Erv's board.

As I said, different board for different needs. Both are a good addition to the saber building community and completes the other very well for a huge range of products.

I think Tim should stock them both!

xwingband
02-25-2007, 06:20 AM
lol, stocking both would be nice but Erv doesn't pump out many and that a heck of a lot of money to have a bunch of them.

Yeah, Ultra's board again isn't aimed at the DIY community persay. That's why customizability of sounds went out of the plans.

At first I was irked that the amperage wasn't controlled by a simple jumper... then I thought if I was one of his customers, opening up the hilt would probably scare crap out of me.

UltraSWG
02-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Hey yall, lots of conversation going on, that's good. I know some of you builders probably scratched your head when you saw the Lighting Module on my site. Certainly, for all of you, this may not have been revolutionary at all. A swappable Luxeon solution has been available to yall for some time now. However, keep in mind the audience of my site is quite a bit different than the audience of this forum.

To my customers, being able to easily swap out their Luxeons is indeed revolutionary because they were never able to do it before. Remember, not everyone is a builder, some people have trouble changing the bulb in a Maglight, much less a Luxeon LED in a saber hilt. So, while it may not impress many of you here, a fully contained "drop-in" Luxeon unit is a very attractive product to many of my customers, especially since it still costs less than an EL blade.

Perhaps I can talk Tim into carrying just the aluminum pieces of the module so yall can make your own convenient Luxeon units. Trust me, they are alot easier to swap in and out, especially since you don't need to remove the blade to do it. To people in costume at a convention, this is huge.

As for my sound board, I'm certainly hoping Tim will offer it in the store :wink: But, I'm not even thinking about releasing it until it's perfect, after which there will be plenty of videos and a 3rd party review from FX-Sabers.Com so everyone knows what they're getting before they order.

vortextwist
02-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Hey yall, lots of conversation going on, that's good. I know some of you builders probably scratched your head when you saw the Lighting Module on my site. Certainly, for all of you, this may not have been revolutionary at all. A swappable Luxeon solution has been available to yall for some time now. However, keep in mind the audience of my site is quite a bit different than the audience of this forum.

To my customers, being able to easily swap out their Luxeons is indeed revolutionary because they were never able to do it before. Remember, not everyone is a builder, some people have trouble changing the bulb in a Maglight, much less a Luxeon LED in a saber hilt. So, while it may not impress many of you here, a fully contained "drop-in" Luxeon unit is a very attractive product to many of my customers, especially since it still costs less than an EL blade.

Perhaps I can talk Tim into carrying just the aluminum pieces of the module so yall can make your own convenient Luxeon units. Trust me, they are alot easier to swap in and out, especially since you don't need to remove the blade to do it. To people in costume at a convention, this is huge.

As for my sound board, I'm certainly hoping Tim will offer it in the store :wink: But, I'm not even thinking about releasing it until it's perfect, after which there will be plenty of videos and a 3rd party review from FX-Sabers.Com so everyone knows what they're getting before they order.
Offering just the components would be interesting (and a little cheaper) :D

Firebird21
02-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Well Ultra, I like that idea of a totally consolidated LED, Lens, holder, heatsink. Like you say it makes it easier to swap out and you don't have to worry about seating the lens every time you swap it out. It's no always the easiest thing to do on many sabers. I, for one, require tools to do so.

Say you were at a convention or something with your saber, you could through these things in your pocket without having to worry about damaging the LED, so it would be easier to carry 3 or 4 colors to easily swap at a moments notice. It may not be a good idea to have them all clunking around in one pocket, but they appear to still be more durable than the current setup.

I think that it has potential on the DIY side, I may be interested in just the holder but not a completed one. I like to build things myself. :wink: But I don’t think it would ever replace the current system, it would only supplement it.

Good work!

Strydur
02-25-2007, 10:16 AM
My main concern with it is the same problem I had when considering to make a adapter to use my new heatsinks, They block the switch hole. This can be overcome easily of course by switching the tube around or doing a switch hole someplace else etc. I just hate to add to customer confusion if I can help it.

I cant wait to get my hands on some of ultras boards either. It would be nice to eventually add a drop in battery/sound/speaker assembly or something like that which cant be done when I run out of MR boards all the time.

UltraSWG
02-25-2007, 10:38 AM
The switch hole is an issue with the normal bodies, which is why these modules can only be used with a ribbed foregrip, extension, or upside down body. Not an issue with the sabers I make (since they all use ribbed, or V-groove foregrips), but something to be aware of.

Lord Maul
02-25-2007, 11:31 AM
come on ultra, work faster on that board :P
i've been waiting forever :?

xwingband
02-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Speaking of the board... and since Ultra is readin this now.

I was thinking. Sounds withstanding... the momentary button is going to irk people a bit. I don't have much of a problem with it. I don't always like the audible click of latching switches though. Now how can that be turned around?

Easily... I was talking to Erv about this for his auxillary button. Give it function that isn't pointless. I know you already have it as some kind of programmed duration. I was thinking of this schema: once for on, twice for off, then hold for the menu.

That solves the accidental offs and great functionality. :) If Erv gets around to it I recommended: one blaster block, two force push and holding as a lock up effect.

Maybe you thought of this... or maybe not. If not, make it so! That'll make it unique and pretty danged spiffy.

elrond.406
02-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Speaking of the board... and since Ultra is readin this now.

I was thinking. Sounds withstanding... the momentary button is going to irk people a bit. I don't have much of a problem with it. I don't always like the audible click of latching switches though. Now how can that be turned around?

Easily... I was talking to Erv about this for his auxillary button. Give it function that isn't pointless. I know you already have it as some kind of programmed duration. I was thinking of this schema: once for on, twice for off, then hold for the menu.

That solves the accidental offs and great functionality. :) If Erv gets around to it I recommended: one blaster block, two force push and holding as a lock up effect.

Maybe you thought of this... or maybe not. If not, make it so! That'll make it unique and pretty danged spiffy.

Sounds great! :wink:

Zhi-don
03-09-2007, 08:36 AM
I took a look at Alex's DYI module. My only comment is that he needs to add rubber grommets on the holes that the wires come through. Constant rubbing caused by dueling will cut throught the insulation sooner or later. You know what could happen after that. :shock:

Jedi-Loreen
03-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Where's he gonna find grommets that small? :?

A drop of epoxy would help keep the wires in place and keep them from rubbing on the holes, that's what I do on all the LEDs and MHS heat sinks I wire up for all you guys in our club. :wink:

Ryma Mara
03-09-2007, 09:09 AM
http://www.customrubbercorp.com/p_gromm.htm

Ask them

Or you could take a couple Orings(they can get tiny as hell), one on top one of bottem. does the same thign as a grommet Just in 2 pieces.

Zhi-don
03-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Damn....I can't go anywhere without you finding me! :shock:

Yes, some hot glue would work fine. As for the grommets.....they are the same ones that Parks uses for his inverter housing.

Jedi-Loreen
03-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Damn....I can't go anywhere without you finding me! :shock:

Yes, some hot glue would work fine. As for the grommets.....they are the same ones that Parks uses for his inverter housing.

That's because I know most of the places where you hang out online. :wink:

I forgot that Parks uses small grommets like that, you're the one always taking those kinds of sabers apart, not me.

And I said epoxy not hot glue. You don't want to put hot glue on a heat sink! Every time it warms up, the glue will soften up. :shock:

Zhi-don
03-09-2007, 09:54 AM
oops! :roll:

I stand corrected!

Ryma Mara
03-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Thers hot glue on my heatsink and parts of my Mr board. Still in the same place it was put on.

vortextwist
03-09-2007, 02:03 PM
even just a little shrink tape, hot glue.

UltraSWG
03-09-2007, 06:38 PM
You don't need to over engineer a Luxeon conversion.

The wires coming out of the Luxeon module are not highly mobile, in fact, they hardly move at all once inside the hilt. There's no constant vibration, nor is there any vertical movement. Simply put, a grommet is not needed for an MR conversion just as it isn't needed for an MHS mounting plate.

It's also the same reason why a simple splice in combination with heat shrink tubing will secure the wires in an MR without the need for soldering. I solder everything just because I like to, but it is truly optional with one of my DIY kits. Ever seen a professional install a care stereo? Lots of wires. Lots of tape. Not much solder :wink:

vortextwist
03-09-2007, 06:43 PM
I like using hot glue at the wires on the heat sink just so there is no undo stress on the solder point on the led. (if you change them out often) and the heatsink would have to get awfull hot to mealt hot glue.

Lord Maul
03-09-2007, 09:02 PM
i could only see it melting the hot glue with a 5 watter which means i better watch out, cause i'm using one on my saber :?

dark_jedi_vokk
03-10-2007, 12:53 PM
hey i just ordered a yellow apprentice from your ebay listing. any tips about future add-ons that can be applied to it?

elrond.406
03-10-2007, 01:42 PM
hey i just ordered a yellow apprentice from your ebay listing. any tips about future add-ons that can be applied to it?

O-rings for the grip, though mine came with it. 8)

UltraSWG
03-10-2007, 03:05 PM

Sure, but out of respect for Strydur I shouldn't talk about that stuff here. Feel free to talk to me on my forum about it:

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?board=48.0

elrond.406
03-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Edited---took VT's advice. 8)

vortextwist
03-11-2007, 01:16 PM
if you were worried about it why not pm or email him. :roll: