PDA

View Full Version : NBv3 Doesn't boot, gets very hot.

Eruialsul
08-23-2016, 07:26 PM
I'm working on my first saber, and I'm pretty new to electronics in general anyway, so I have absolutely no idea what's going wrong. I had first wired up my Nano Biscotte and everything worked fine, but the wires I was using were too thin and broke (I know one was a speaker wire, I think that the other was to the main LED, but I'm not certain about that one.) I then ordered a wiring harness and used that instead, and now when it gets power it doesn't boot, and starts to get very hot very quickly. My first thought was that I had bridged a connection somewhere on the board but I can't find any evidence of that. I never installed or removed the SD card while the battery was installed, And never soldered while the SD card was in. I triple checked that I was using the correct wiring harness and that I had everything hooked up properly. It was a little too crowded while I was testing it in my hilt (I was planning on using a 1-inch ID aluminum tube, but now I realize that's too cramped.) so it may have been overheated then, but it wasn't like that for more than maybe a minute at the most, so I don't think that's it. My only guess is that I either overheated it while I was soldering on it (which I doubt), I somehow ended up with a faulty NB (Which I also doubt) or that something was fried when one of the wires broke (which seems the most likely). I was hoping one of you could help me understand what I did wrong and tell me if (and how) it's possible to fix it.

Images of ht NB in question (I removed the wiring harness to check for any bridges under it, since I had soldered the wires from the other side at first and there might have been a bridge there, but I found no such thing) and my wiring setup:

FenixFire
08-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Are the wires reveresed on your battery pack? You have red coming from the battery, then soldered to the black of the jst, then that black of the jst connects to the black of the NB. If the pack wiring in not reveresed then when you attached the jst connectors you attached the wrong wires, and could possibly have fried your board by reversing the polarity. Fix the jst/battery splice and see if it works if not you will need to have it repaired.

Eruialsul
08-23-2016, 08:43 PM
...I went over everything so many times and I missed that? Never in all my life have a felt like such an idiot. Thanks for pointing it out though. Reversing the battery causes...nothing to happen at all. Well, now at least I know what I did wrong. Seems the board is dead though, any chance of it being fixable?

Greenie
08-24-2016, 01:40 AM
Your best option would be to PM Zook. He repairs boards that have released the 'magic smoke'. ;)