PDA

View Full Version : Question on wiring LEDs in series.

Jedi Master Taka
08-08-2016, 12:36 PM
I have a quick question on wiring in series. I am building a saber using a PC, a GGW tri cree, and a 7.4V battery. (There are no accent LEDS or such going into this build.) I had originally planed on parallel wiring it because I usually build using a 3.6V power solution on NBs or MR boards. But after thinking about it, I realized that that will unnecessarily cut into my run time. So I want to wire it up in series. As I understand it, when you wire in series you treat both LEDs as a single LED with the combined Voltage of both. So in this case, I would have a A Led of 7.16V running at 1000mA. Running this through the resistor calculator tells me that I would need a resistor of 1ohm, 2W. Does this sound right or am I missing some fundamental of series wiring? The white is going to be wired for FoC and resistor with a SMD on the PC so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks In Advance.

Silver Serpent
08-08-2016, 12:46 PM
The Petit Crouton has a built-in LED driver for the primary channel. If you're putting the GG LEDs in series on that channel, it'll drive them properly without the need for a resistor.

Be sure to keep the resistor for the white FoC LED.

Jedi Master Taka
08-08-2016, 12:52 PM
Thanks much. That's a ton of help. Also I was wondering. I have seen people series wire the LEDs in two different ways. One (The most common I have seen on sabers) Is By connecting the 2 positives and 2 negatives. I've also seen people just bridge the 2nd LEDs Positive and Negative and then run power to the other LED of the same color powering them both. Any thoughts on which works better?

Silver Serpent
08-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Well the first method describes wiring in parallel. The second method (incorrectly) describes series wiring.

Series wiring connects the positive on one LED to the negative of the other LED, then powering the remaining two pads.

Jedi Master Taka
08-08-2016, 03:59 PM
when I went to actually wire the LED I realized that they weren't actually doing it differently, It was just the placement of the pads were different on the LEDs. I got it all wired up and running well. Thanks for all your help and clarifications. =D