PDA

View Full Version : Aniakin clash sensor

vortextwist
02-09-2007, 02:48 PM
I got my conversion kit today and finished it this morning. My question is the clash sensor doesn't seem to be as sensitive as it was before. I realize it is not as far forward as with the original blade. I also cut the old blade holder down (kind of like the vader) and hot glued the clash sensor into the piece I cut off. My question is then do I need to do something else? Or just live with it? thanks guys.

oh about the blade holder screw. Is there somthing else you guys use that is more astheticaly pleasing than the thumb screw?

Firebird21
02-09-2007, 02:59 PM
For my Vader conversion I drilled out the center of the heatsink just a smidgen and mounted the sensor in there. You could try that. It just has to be the next size bigger.

Edit, I was thinking, it may be good to let it rattle around a little inside the H/S. It would make it a little more sensitive to shocks.

02-09-2007, 03:24 PM
I replaced all of my thumb screw with set screws. Makes them almost invisible. Downside is keeping up with your hex head wrenches.

vortextwist
02-09-2007, 04:02 PM
For my Vader conversion I drilled out the center of the heatsink just a smidgen and mounted the sensor in there. You could try that. It just has to be the next size bigger.

Edit, I was thinking, it may be good to let it rattle around a little inside the H/S. It would make it a little more sensitive to shocks.
I found on my mhs saber that it wasn't as sensative when it just floated in there. so I took a piece of old blade and hot glued the sucker inside and whrapped elec tape around it till it was snug inside the mhs. worked better than before that is why I am wandering what is up.

Firebird21
02-09-2007, 04:05 PM
No, not flopping around inside the hilt, just a little play inside the heatsink so it will rattle against the metal of the heatsink when you strike something.

Edit: Drill the center of the heatsink out so it's just the slightest bit larger than the sensor. Then insert the sensor into the H/S and put some tape on the end to keep it from falling out.

LAN-ED-TUL
02-09-2007, 04:15 PM
sensor will work better if its securely set in place. the blade hit and hilt motion will be better. you dont want the sensor floppin round.

i dont have a anakin saber, but if it is anything like a real graflex, you should be able to utilize a glass eye thumbscrew where the glass eyes supposed to be, or red button. they have both in a thumbscrew.

i think the anakin has the glass eye, so depending on where that is in relation to the holder when installed, a hole drilled and tapped for the eye thumbscrew will work.

vortextwist
02-09-2007, 04:21 PM
ahh. ok. i will proly take it apart again and see.

edit: thanks lan. I will look and see what I can get.

vortextwist
02-09-2007, 06:15 PM
well I took it apart to check things out and what would you know I pulled a fickin wire off. so out comes the soldering iron. Then as I'm taking it back out again i catch the switch and break it to crap. luckily I had the kids' lyin around to scavange a switch till I can order one from tim. I think it is just becouse it is really only held in by the 2 little screws and plastic, so does anyone know where I can get those pieces made of metal?

LAN-ED-TUL
02-09-2007, 07:10 PM
nope i dunno. hows that blade holder alignment with the glass eye spot?

does it look like if you drilled a hole and tapped it there, it would catch the blade ok?

i used one of tims regular old led blade holders he used to have, and drilled the 4 tiny post plug holes and tapped them, and colored the area in with black magic marker. yeah, they stick out too far, and i really need a set of tims shorter pins for that.

and where the glass eye was, i drilled the hole and tapped it and got a red button thumbscrew, this was the esb luke version, and it looks natural and functions to hold the blade.

on top, i grooved a couple slots to run wires, and used a mini micro switch, momentary to run the hasbro board, mounted it where the top red button, stock original when puished, hit the mini switch and fired it off.

i did it this way after i seen the way the graflex shops el core i had was made.

works like a charm. of course now tim has a anakin holder that can be used possibly in a real graflex handle. not real sure, but i beleive it will fit. might need a lil machining down.

vortextwist
02-09-2007, 07:19 PM
well with the mr. the "copper" buttons are just plastic and I think cranking down on the screw is just goin to either break the plastic or strip the holes. the holder doesn't seem to be very secure.

Strydur
02-09-2007, 08:16 PM
The blade holder? Are you using the thumb screw? Really it is the main thing that holds it in place besides the plastic pieces. What I do is file the thumbscrew down until it just perfectly tight against the tube AND the blade at the same time. Then the holder is much more secure.

vortextwist
02-09-2007, 08:18 PM
The blade holder? Are you using the thumb screw? Really it is the main thing that holds it in place besides the plastic pieces. What I do is file the thumbscrew down until it just perfectly tight against the tube AND the blade at the same time. Then the holder is much more secure.
yup using the thumb screw. I will try that, or get some little washers. It just seems like it needs a little something. maybe it's just me. It is excelent peice of work though.

edit: had a couple of washers from my maul when I gutted it. I put one of them on there and worked great. Maybe add a washer like that with the kit, Tim.