PDA

View Full Version : Satale Shan Lightsaber help

alcadude
07-10-2016, 05:22 PM
Does any one know how to make the 3 claw and piston assemblies for the lightsaber?Any help would be appreciated

PhoenixHawk
07-10-2016, 06:22 PM
After you get Tim to mill out the slots on the Blade Holder you have to make them yourself from different parts an pieces(cutting the main claws from Aluminum and file them into shape and the rods can be made from the tube many use in there crystal chamber)...or buy the one the Saber Forge has.

FenixFire
07-10-2016, 06:41 PM
Does any one know how to make the 3 claw and piston assemblies for the lightsaber?Any help would be appreciated
Somewhere on here is a build log where someone did a masterpiece of a build on that one.

Greenie
07-10-2016, 11:42 PM
Try Slothfurnace's build logs on FX ;)

FenixFire
07-11-2016, 03:54 AM
Try Slothfurnace's build logs on FX ;)

Maybe that the one I was thinking of..

FenixFire
07-11-2016, 05:56 AM
Found the bookmark...actually on RFP.

FenixFire
07-11-2016, 05:59 AM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?14113-Boshwan527-s-Satele-Shan-Saber-Build

alcadude
07-11-2016, 09:40 AM
thanks sooo much for the help

PhoenixHawk
07-11-2016, 07:25 PM
I forgot about that thread....till you posted it FenixFire. I remember reading it when i first joined...didn't post at all back then...just did a LOT of reading. Thought this build was amazing..and like the others said, would have loved to play with all those machines also. Just wish he came back to it and showed off pictures of the etching....cause you know he did it....lol.

FenixFire
07-11-2016, 07:44 PM
I forgot about that thread....till you posted it FenixFire. I remember reading it when i first joined...didn't post at all back then...just did a LOT of reading. Thought this build was amazing..and like the others said, would have loved to play with all those machines also. Just wish he came back to it and showed off pictures of the etching....cause you know he did it....lol.

I know there is a better one somewhere that details how they made the claws step by step. It is the exact video and saber my son brought to me back in September wanting me to teach him to do what "this person did" along with the entire list of MadCows tutorials.

PhoenixHawk
07-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Boshwan527 has a link to slothfurnace build on the first page....and shows how he did the claws on page 3 an 4. So alcadude could go there and see how he made his....with a hacksaw, drill...an files...lol http://slothfurnace.com/sabers/TORConsular_01.html

FenixFire
07-11-2016, 08:49 PM
Boshwan527 has a link to slothfurnace build on the first page....and shows how he did the claws on page 3 an 4. So alcadude could go there and see how he made his....with a hacksaw, drill...an files...lol http://slothfurnace.com/sabers/TORConsular_01.html

Genius that's the one, just didn't look far enough to through. Threading the exterior of the socket head was brilliant that was what I remembered from the posting.

alcadude
07-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Could I get sheet metal then Dremel it ?

FenixFire
07-12-2016, 11:11 AM
You are going to want plate aluminum about 3/8" think, if you use the bolt method shown in the posts, not sheet metal. Well unless you have a good way of break forming or stamping it to shape. Stacking it together like laminate will be difficult to solder/weld together, in any type of visually clean way, to form the 1/4" stack. If you go slow and are fully aware that there will be dozens of hours of hand sanding and filing into shape, you could rough cut the 1/4 sheet with a dremel. Though if you do not have access to a vertical metal band saw I would suggest looking into a jewelers saw and some jewelers files while you are at it. The saw frames are fairly cheap and is essentially a coping saw, the blades range in price depending on material intended to cut and the tooth construction and count. You might also look into having the main form waterjet cut out of 3/8" T6 aluminum. Should be less than $20 per pair if you find a shop that will use some of their scrap aluminum, or that will run some scrap that you find from a local metal salvage/recycle.

PS, most recyclers/salvage yards sell scraps and cut remnants by the pound. I have built 2 complete custom hilts for under $55 in aluminum and brass materials, and I still have about 12" of 1.5" diameter .0625" wall and 14" of 1.25" diameter .0625" wall and 10" of 1.5" diameter .125" wall, and several rods of brass ranging from 1/4" though 3/4", as well as various scraps of flat stock waiting to be machined to their pre-destined glory.

Denz
07-13-2016, 05:32 AM
3/8" is to thick for the fins. Use 1/4"

-Denzil

alcadude
07-13-2016, 06:16 AM
thanks for the help

FenixFire
07-13-2016, 06:31 AM
3/8" is to thick for the fins. Use 1/4"

-Denzil

I thought so to, but the tutorial posted put a 1/4x20 thread on the exterior head of the bolt. So if he was intending to use that tutorial as gospel then 1/4 would be to thin.

Alcadude, use the 1/4 but scale down the attachment rod/bolt diameter as well.

Edit; never mind bolt head is external to the fins, in the "cylindrical nut" realized it as typing the above out.

sks1138
07-13-2016, 05:26 PM
Here's another Satele saber build --- http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?14075-Rogue9607-s-Satele-Inspired-Saber-First-Saber&highlight=republic

Denz
07-14-2016, 05:25 AM
I thought so to, but the tutorial posted put a 1/4x20 thread on the exterior head of the bolt. So if he was intending to use that tutorial as gospel then 1/4 would be to thin.

Alcadude, use the 1/4 but scale down the attachment rod/bolt diameter as well.

Edit; never mind bolt head is external to the fins, in the "cylindrical nut" realized it as typing the above out.

FWIW I have personally seen, touched, handled Slothfurnace's Satele Consular saber. Those connecting rods are 10-32.

-Denzil

FenixFire
07-27-2016, 12:21 PM
FWIW I have personally seen, touched, handled Slothfurnace's Satele Consular saber. Those connecting rods are 10-32.

-Denzil

Yeap, we already corrected that statement, after re reading I realized the 1/4x20 head was still external to the bar stock.