PDA

View Full Version : Computer controlled saber

orion42m
07-10-2016, 04:06 PM
So I was thinking of trying to make a computer controlled saber. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about it?
Thanks

PhoenixHawk
07-10-2016, 04:33 PM
What do you mean by "computer controlled" ...? The sound board is computer controlled...you plug the micro SD card in your computer to set the fonts. And the CF sound boards have r.i.c.e. port in them that you plug into your computer to set everything(sound fonts & LED's color mix)

orion42m
07-10-2016, 05:18 PM
I need to control Multiple LEDs that aren't in the blade, but in the hilt, as well as controling motors. Also it needs to be able to communicate with it's partner blade.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-10-2016, 05:23 PM
I need to control Multiple LEDs that aren't in the blade, but in the hilt, as well as controling motors. Also it needs to be able to communicate with it's partner blade.

No, but good luck creating it.

orion42m
07-10-2016, 05:33 PM
So does anyone know how to get a raspberry pi or a arduino to control a sound card?
Also if I get this off the ground, I will post my progress in another thread.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-10-2016, 05:41 PM
So does anyone know how to get a raspberry pi or a arduino to control a sound card?

Given that this forum is attached to a store that already sells sound cards, I would recommend that you maybe try an arduino forum for what you seek.

orion42m
07-10-2016, 05:44 PM
I am definitly getting a sound card from the store, I am just trying to make it more operational.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-10-2016, 06:02 PM
Well, I am having a hard time picturing how you're going to do that, since that would take special coding AND most likely special hardware that the sound cards do not currently have.

PhoenixHawk
07-10-2016, 06:04 PM
What you are going after....(if i read you right)...you are going to need to make a separate program on a custom made board to control all that your wanting to do. And anything like that doesn't exist ....yet.

orion42m
07-10-2016, 06:05 PM
I have seen it done before, or at least I think...
Here is where I found the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azjmAvSdXXs

orion42m
07-10-2016, 06:09 PM
Essentially I want a tiny PC that will fit in the handle, to control the card, just like it would, using the software for working with the sound board. This PC will also control other lights and motors

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-10-2016, 06:13 PM
That's a rotating crystal chamber. should be able to work with exiting higher end sound cards. What do you mean by other lights and motors? Have you ever built a saber before??

jbkuma
07-10-2016, 06:15 PM
There are certainly ways of doing it. I am working on a daughter board for the NB that will take the various outputs as signals. (Aux, deep sleep, ignition) It's not terribly difficult if you have any coding experience, but this is certainly not the place for help with designing it.

orion42m
07-10-2016, 06:24 PM
I have made lightsaber before, but it was rudimentary. The reason I came here was I didn't know that that card could control two different sets of LEDs, and multiple audio sets at once. The other LEDs will be in the hilt for style. So thanks for clarifying

orion42m
07-10-2016, 06:27 PM
Also this is the only place people respond to me... So I have no where else to go.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-10-2016, 06:29 PM
I strongly recommend you read theough the manuals to the various sound cards sold in the store. That way you will have a much better understanding of the capabilities of each of the sound cards.

orion42m
07-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Oh, the Crystal Focus Saber Core™ V8.0 is out of stock...

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Oh, the Crystal Focus Saber Core? V8.0 is out of stock...

Yes, I know. But you can still download and read the various manuals.

orion42m
07-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Any idea of when they will be back in?

FenixFire
07-10-2016, 06:48 PM

Yeah, you buy the components and assemble them...then you start writing and experimenting with the code until you get it to work. Same as building any computer controlled device for the first time.

JakeSoft
07-10-2016, 07:44 PM

What's a "partner blade"? Are you building a staff? I read this thread and so far I haven't seen anything that you couldn't accomplish with a Plector product that the shop sells.

If I misunderstand or you're dead-set on a custom solution, then what you need is not a PC; you need a microcontroller. Arduino is a good place to start. I recommend you hit their board or ask your question at the FXSabers forum in the "New Ideas and Technologies" area. As others have said, this forum is more geared toward support and showcase of products that the shop sells, so you're not likely to get a lot of the kind of support you're looking for here. Good luck, though; I like the free thinking of new approaches.

NaasadTal
07-11-2016, 03:05 AM
Just read thru this whole thread & based on what you have described, unless we're all misunderstanding what you want your saber to do, it sounds like you might be overthinking your saber build (something I'm guilty of occasionally).

The rotating chamber in that video only needs power to work, Ammnra has set it up to be very user friendy (that video you shared of it walks you thru everything) & as for the lights for the crystal chamber, all you need is to wire them to the same place as as your main LED in the NB or into the accent LED pads on the PC or CF. Like everyone else has said, do a little more research into the operation of the chamber, boards & everything you're gonna need for your build.

Good luck with your build!