PDA

View Full Version : I'm making a lightsaber

DaJoQuim
02-06-2007, 07:37 PM
8) Hi Everyone!!
I'm new here ;but;i'm also on other forums ;so;I first would like to say hi to everyone!!I am building a home made fx-saber.I would like to know a couple of things at this time.first I was wondering if the speakers on the masterreplicas lightsabers are the only speakers made for sale for any lightsaber or are there others that I could buy to put in my lightsaber?My last question for now is I'm using a mag light shell for my hilt.Any suggestions for kind of blade holder and such?DaJoQuim :?:

Firebird21
02-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Tim sells speakers and a custom heatsink that should work well for you.

Heatsink (https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-844-22-luxeon-star-heatsink.aspx)

Speaker (https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-864-9-speaker.aspx)

If you ask nicely I'm sure Tim could drum up a whole blade holder/heatsink assembly for you. The problem is you'd have to accurately measure the hilt you're going to put it in.

xwingband
02-06-2007, 08:02 PM
If that one in the shop doesn't fit any 8 ohm speaker will work with an MR.

DaJoQuim
02-07-2007, 05:35 AM
hi Everyone!!
Who is tim on here ;and;can I buy that sort of speaker say at radio shack or somewhere like that? The hilt that I've made was a d-battery mag-light flashlight. DaJoQuim

xwingband
02-07-2007, 05:50 AM
Tim is "Strydur"... he owns TCSS.

Yeah, RadioShack has a speaker. It's 1 1/8", but why bother if Tim has one. You can throw it in when you make an order.

Angelus Lupus
02-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Ya know, when I see threads like this I start to wonder if people post here without realising the forum is part of a shop

Firebird21
02-07-2007, 06:15 AM
Ya know, when I see threads like this I start to wonder if people post here without realising the forum is part of a shop

Me too.

vortextwist
02-07-2007, 06:51 AM
you would think with the title "The Custom Saber Shop" people would get it.

supertrogdor
02-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately it is not the case in far too many scenarios. Even outside this forum, i see far too many people with explicit directions right in front of them and still ask people nearby how to do... or where is...
Hopefully the kind hearted people in the world can not only steer these poor lads and lasses clear of too much trouble and offer them a life lesson in observation in the process

MasterStoney
02-07-2007, 11:29 AM
he probably did a google search and it brought him straight to the forum.

xwingband
02-07-2007, 03:18 PM
I know how he got here, I posted the link on the forum he visits... he just buzzed straight to the forum.

Firebird21
02-07-2007, 03:26 PM
I figured something like that.

Maybe Tim should put a question on the registration that says:

"I acknowledge that this forum is directly related to The Custom Saber Shop store and that this forum is intended for the discussion of sabers built using the items sold in that store."

And make it so you can’t complete registration without clicking “Yes”. This should help the people that come directly to the forums bypassing the store front.
And having the Googlebots poking around this type of direct linking to the forums may increase from now on.

Just a thought.

vortextwist
02-07-2007, 03:30 PM
ya but I't doesn't mean they will read it. Most will proly just click yes.

Firebird21
02-07-2007, 03:33 PM
ya but I't doesn't mean they will read it. Most will proly just click yes.

I said "help" not "eliminate".

vortextwist
02-07-2007, 03:37 PM
ok,ok sorry :oops:

DaJoQuim
02-07-2007, 05:08 PM
hi everyone!!I've read some of your posts;and;as for one I'm a up-and-up person!!I'm going to buy my parts on this web-site!!that's why I'm here!!I'm just asking a few questions!!i'm 47 not 18.I've been around.I'm cool with everyone that I've met except for those who judge me!!All I'm asking are some questions here.I'd like to know what I'm looking at andWhat I'm buying before I shell out my money!!Thanks for the welcome everyone.DaJoQuim 8)

Firebird21
02-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Don't take it personaly. We were talking in general, not about you specificly. Sorry if it seemed otherwise.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

xwingband
02-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Yeah, welcome. I was "anon" over at the archives BTW.

It's not personal. Just know attached to the store that our first response will be "Tim has it in the store." Wanting to know if you can get it at the 'Shack is cool, I run there once and a blue moon, but if your not sure what they have, you check their website too. :)

I wonder if Do-Clo will see this... I think he made a maglite saber once.

DaJoQuim
02-07-2007, 05:53 PM
8) thanks guys and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding!!I'll be asking questions here and there;so;please be patient!!i really want to get this right!!this is a pic that I have so far.DaJoQuimhttp://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o41/DaJoQuim/DSCF0755.jpg

DaJoQuim
02-08-2007, 05:34 AM
:?: Hi Everyone!!I have a question to ask.I know that in order to have sound in a lightsaber I must have a sound board and a speaker ;is that all or do I need something called a driver?If so do they sell them here?Thanks everyone!!DaJoQuim 8)

xwingband
02-08-2007, 05:40 AM
You can run the LED off of a MR sound board. That is just like a conversion. you don't "need" a driver.

As for if the store has one, why don't you poke around in the LED specific section? :wink:

DaJoQuim
02-08-2007, 06:17 PM
8) Hey x-wingband; So are you saying if I bought a sound board like the rotj lukes just to say;and I bought a battery pack and a speaker and a lexeon blade holder with my blade and a switch ;that's all I need to get that bad boy working? Also what kind of battery pack would you suggest? I'm also wanting to put in an orange lexeon light.thanks for your help!!DaJoQuim :D

Lord Maul
02-08-2007, 06:39 PM
you can buy the luck sound board here (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/c-9-sound.aspx) along with the pommel if you want that. browse around here (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/c-2-led-specific.aspx) for the rest of the stuff. and here is where batt packs are (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/c-6-battery-holders-clips.aspx)
have fun :D

xwingband
02-08-2007, 07:06 PM
8) Hey x-wingband; So are you saying if I bought a sound board like the rotj lukes just to say;and I bought a battery pack and a speaker and a lexeon blade holder with my blade and a switch ;that's all I need to get that bad boy working? Also what kind of battery pack would you suggest? I'm also wanting to put in an orange lexeon light.thanks for your help!!DaJoQuim :D

Yup, that'd be it, if you want to go the simplest rout for sound. There's a wiring diagram in the wiring forum.

For batteries... stick to as close as you can to the normal MR voltage. If you mean for orange a Red-Orange or Amber you could even go higher to 6V. So that'd be 6V from 4AA (normal alkalines) or 5AA rechargable. That maglite has plenty of room you could add more packs if you want better run times.

DaJoQuim
02-09-2007, 06:10 PM
:D thanks guys for the info;now I have just one more question; is the holder with heat srink or sink with the lexeon blade one kit or is it two things ? My inside of my hilt is 1.349. just wondering.DaJoQuim 8)

vortextwist
02-09-2007, 06:18 PM
:D thanks guys for the info;now I have just one more question; is the holder with heat srink or sink with the lexeon blade one kit or is it two things ? My inside of my hilt is 1.349. just wondering.DaJoQuim 8) you get a heatsink with the blade holder.

DaJoQuim
02-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh thank you very much for the info. I'm really excited about this project!!DaJoQuim

DaJoQuim
03-03-2007, 07:40 PM
8) Hi-Everyone!!
Well I've bought over half of my parts from this store today;which;I'm chosing an amber lexeon.Next week I'm ordering the rest of my parts from this store;so;as they say here I go my friends haha.I'll post pics of my finished saber when I get it done!!BTW I'm useing a rotj soundboard from this store. :D

Darth Raijlin
03-11-2007, 10:38 PM
sounds great my friend. I'm glad to see your project moving along steadily.

I was going to move ahead on my vintage 1950 heiland, but since I just dropped $400 on the sabers that Master Tiin was getting rid of (JSS Hero Luke ROTJ and JSS Anakin AOTC w/ LEDs in hilt), I have to put it on hold just a little bit. The "Emperor" (my wife) says I'm exceeding my budget. LOL...

I'm really anxious to see that saber at Star Wars Weekends this year. Not sure which of mine I'll bring down.

Well Dajoquim, I look forward to seeing this bad boy. I had taken your recommendation to come here on this forum, but to be honest to see how you were received in the first couple of replies to your simple post with questions, I'm kind of hesitant to even post anything here.

Don't want to get nailed by any goose steppers for simply asking the wrong question.

Take care my friend and I'll see you at FX-sabers.com

xwingband
03-12-2007, 05:15 AM
Welcome Raijlin,

I wouldn't worry about what others say. It's nothing against DaJoQuim. We just don't feel right telling poeple where to get something outside of the store when Tim offers it.

BTW, after what you said to Hype at FX-sabers, you're a-ok in my book. :wink: