PDA

View Full Version : Dremel EZ Lock Mandrel vibration issues

jbkuma
07-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Is anyone using the Dremel EZ Lock system for their cutting discs? I picked one up today in a pack with the cutting shield. I have a MultiPro 395 that gets up to 35k rpm and well before I hit full speed things get really loud as compared to a standard mandrel and the vibration seems rather extreme. I'm guessing this is due to wobble from the spring loaded retention for the cutting disc rather than having the disc firmly secured by a screw. I am very worried that the vibration will lead to burning out my Dremel, and since I am not willing to get it up to full speed that would obviously affect performance as well. With all of that in mind, if it's wobbling, etc, I'm also worried it will also perform poorly at cutting straight lines.

Overall, it seems like a gimmick to sell discs for 4 times the price of the standard offering (5 for $20 rather than 20 for $20). They are a bit bigger which could justify the cost to some extent, but making changing discs marginally easier doesn't seem worth the cost especially with the vibration issues.

If anybody has had a more positive experience with these, or has any pointers that might help I'd love to hear it. I sent Dremel customer service a message, and I'm awaiting a response.

FenixFire
07-02-2016, 08:46 PM
I put up with it because the blades are far more durable. But I only have a slight vibration. Are you making sure the blade is fully seated and locked in place? Also are you using the correct collet size for the arbor? I believe it was the middle of the three sizes my kit came with.

jbkuma
07-02-2016, 08:51 PM
I put up with it because the blades are far more durable .
That's good to know. The blades are also a bit bigger, so that could certainly close the cost gap.

FenixFire
07-02-2016, 08:53 PM
That's good to know. The blades are also a bit bigger, so that could certainly close the cost gap.

And fiberglass reinforced.

jbkuma
07-02-2016, 09:05 PM
And fiberglass reinforced.

The old discs I was using were fiberglass reinforced. I'm on my last one and it's about halfway down so I figured I'd give the EZ thing a shot. I never bothered to measure them, but I'm guessing they were 1" or so compared to the 1.5" of the EZ discs. Subtracting out the metal disc in the middle I'm guessing it's still almost twice as much surface area and thereby twice as much useful cutting material. Still, I live in an apartment and the noise level of the standard setup in action is quieter than the EZ at not even full speed while not even cutting. I gather that's just the nature of the beast, so I'll probably just go back to using the low tech style with maybe the exception of when I do some work in my folks' garage.

FenixFire
07-02-2016, 10:19 PM
No something sounds off to me.

PhoenixHawk
07-03-2016, 07:18 AM
I have them also..and agreed something isn't right. Maybe your EZ Lock shaft wasn't assembled right...meaning it got damaged when the robot put it together. it shouldn't vibration/wobble that much. I have cut many things with mine using all the disc. I have the MultiPro 3961-02...and i have never run mine at full speed...highest at 7 or 8.

FenixFire
07-03-2016, 07:25 AM
I have them also..and agreed something isn't right. Maybe your EZ Lock shaft wasn't assembled right...meaning it got damaged when the robot put it together. it shouldn't vibration/wobble that much. I have cut many things with mine using all the disc. I have the MultiPro 3961-02...and i have never run mine at full speed...highest at 7 or 8.

What is the max rpm for the cutting wheel? Might only be 2800

jbkuma
07-03-2016, 07:59 AM
Looks like the max RPM is 30,000 according to Dremel website. The pack I got actually did not come with documentation for anything but the shield. It's definitely louder at around 8, but not not terrible. The standard setup is also rated at 30k, but sings a sweet, cozy whir at full speed. The website also says the discs last twice as long as standard reinforced discs. They do offer regular 1.5" standard discs, so maybe it is a materials innovation.

Sevinzol
07-04-2016, 08:23 PM
At 30k RPM any little imperfection will be greatly exaggerated. Does it vibrate without a disk locked in? maybe bent a little. You said you bought a pack of disks. Did you try more than one? I'm wondering if maybe the disk is off center. I have a grinder I need to true-up every once in a while or it will shake the nails out of the workbench its clamped to. Try it the lowest speed, clamp it in a vise or something and bring a piece of metal up to it sloooowly. If you hear ticking sound as you first make contact, that might indicate wobble or off center.

PhoenixHawk
07-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Yes....hence what i said above....it shouldn't vibrate like that. I think your EZ lock shaft is not assembles right. Buy one of these blade sets that has a EZ Lock shaft in it and try it. Went thru all mine and just got the EZ688-01 11 pieces from Lowe's.

jbkuma
07-04-2016, 09:58 PM
It only came with the one disc. Hopefully Dremel customer service will offer up a replacement before I try anything else. Thank you for the feedback everyone.