PDA

View Full Version : Affixing the Luke pommel section

Firebird21
02-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Does anyone know what that little pin thing in the center of the Luke Pommel "bump" is for? How hard do you think it would be to extract it and replace it with a set screw?

http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/LukePommel4.jpg

vortextwist
02-06-2007, 08:14 AM
i think it is supposed to keep the tri ring form sliding one way or the other. i took mine off and wanted todo the same thing and add an covertec there. still havn't gotten aroun to getting it off, thought about grinding a hole on the inside and pushing it through

Firebird21
02-06-2007, 08:18 AM
i think it is supposed to keep the tri ring form sliding one way or the other. i took mine off and wanted todo the same thing and add an covertec there. still havn't gotten aroun to getting it off, thought about grinding a hole on the inside and pushing it through

I think you're right about the reason it's there, and as for getting it out with out destroying the pommel too, I think that's going to be some tough work.

I was thinking about putting the set screw on the opposide side so it appeared that it went all the way threw, but if I can just replace that pin then I think that's the best way to go.

supertrogdor
02-06-2007, 08:20 AM
you could likely pick up a small clamp that is capable of being attatched to the bottom of a drill press. That would be your best bet for getting it drilled out if you wanted to take that route. At least that is what i would do
cheers

vortextwist
02-06-2007, 08:21 AM
well with mine you won't see the hole on the inside anyhow and you really only need to take what metal in in the way of pushing the pin through, and if your gonna put a screw in there anyhow, it may just hide the fact that, that's how you got it out. a dremel and a tiny bit would do it.

Firebird21
02-06-2007, 08:24 AM
well with mine you won't see the hole on the inside anyhow and you really only need to take what metal in in the way of pushing the pin through, and if your gonna put a screw in there anyhow, it may just hide the fact that, that's how you got it out. a dremel and a tiny bit would do it.

The only problem I see with grinding out the back side is that, depending on how much meat you need to take off, you may have very little meat left for the set screw to hold on to.

vortextwist
02-06-2007, 08:31 AM
ya, i see what ya mean. from lookin at mine it doesn't look like the pin goes through but only to it

Firebird21
02-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Maybe if you pulled the clip out you could some how get under the pin and push it out from there. That's provided that the pin doesn't resess into the other side of the clip hole.

Ether way there may be some access from there.

vortextwist
02-06-2007, 08:38 AM
ya, i'm kind of trying that now but with no luck, don't really have the right tools.

vortextwist
02-06-2007, 08:44 AM
well it doesn' go all the way through, i took a 5/64 drill bit and slowly drilled on the pin and when that was gone the other part just fell out.

Firebird21
02-06-2007, 08:48 AM
well it doesn' go all the way through, i took a 5/64 drill bit and slowly drilled on the pin and when that was gone the other part just fell out.

You're gonna have to elaborate on that...

What other part?

And you got it out?

vortextwist
02-06-2007, 08:51 AM
oh sorry, the pin does not go all the way through, just to the back of the hole the ring is in. the rest of the pin that I drilled out. ya I got it out. i will be back with a pic.

edit: n/m my camera sucks and I can't get a good pic that close up, but just go real slow when you drill out the pin, (take off the tri ring first, it's pretty easy just bend it slow)

Firebird21
02-06-2007, 08:54 AM
I think I know what you did... You drilled out the pin using the hole the clip goes in, then what was left of it fell out. Right?

vortextwist
02-06-2007, 08:55 AM
yup

Firebird21
02-06-2007, 09:04 AM
(take off the tri ring first, it's pretty easy just bend it slow)

SOB!

The ring popped out and I scratched the pommel in the process! :evil:

vortextwist
02-06-2007, 09:05 AM
nithing a little sandpaper can't fix. are you using it on the luke hilt or an mhs?

Firebird21
02-06-2007, 09:10 AM
It's for my MHS Luke project (http://thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1739).

vortextwist
02-06-2007, 09:15 AM
oh ya I remember now. Ya that little thing suck to sand. I did a little but need to do more on mine.