PDA

View Full Version : MHS threads and Anodizing

vieiv
06-10-2016, 12:40 PM
I was planning on anodizing my MHS parts. Does anyone know if I need to protect the MHS threads during the anodizing process? If I don't protect them will the buildup misalign the threads?

ARKM
06-10-2016, 01:19 PM
That depends on the anodizing process being used. Hardcoat anodizing may increase the tolerances from .002" to .005" which could cause problems. However the standard Type II anodizing will probably not change the measurements by even as much as .001". I had some stuff anodized using Type II. I chose to have one of the items that I polished, anodized without the normal acid etching step (to retain the super polished/glossy look of the part) and another part (that I assume WAS acid etched by the anodizers) I had bright dipped before being anodized black (ended up with a satin finish). Both parts had the same measurements after being anodized that they had before being anodized.

Darkmatter73
06-10-2016, 04:09 PM
I anodize my mhs stuff at work alot. Like ARKM said, even the pre-ano etch is pretty mild. The etch is just a cleaning step.
Even when i ano them with a color, the mhs parts thread together perfectly.

FenixFire
06-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Type II if done to specifications should add .001 to .002". Hard coat should add .003 to .006.

ARKM
06-10-2016, 09:52 PM
Type II if done to specifications should add .001 to .002". Hard coat should add .003 to .006.

Not according to the various web pages that I read about the topic. For Type II, increases of up to .0005" can occur but it's usually less. For hard-coating, most likely you're looking at a .002" increase at the least (but can definitely be more), which is enough to cause issues with the parts fitting together.

FenixFire
06-10-2016, 11:22 PM
Not according to the various web pages that I read about the topic. For Type II increases of up to .0005" can occur but it's usually less. For hard-coating, most likely you're looking at a .002" increase at the least (but can definitely be more), which is enough to cause issues with the parts fitting together.
I'm just going by what I have seen and the engineering tolerances recommended for the two process. Though it was for two commercial equipment customers, ag/construction equipment and flexograph printing stations, so maybe they specify heavier coatings or allow for higher tolerances.